Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Holiday Season, for the few that don't celebrate.

THIS THREAD IS NOT TO BE USED TO ENGAGE IN DISCUSSION OF RELIGIOUS AFFAIRS NOR IS IT MEANT TO BE A DEBATE, LETS GET ALONG HERE!

Well, I know there's a ton on here getting ready to enjoy their Christmas time with family, friends and good food and drink, don't let me stop you!. However there are the few of us who really don't celebrate, me included. I'll be honest, I'm not religious in any sense, my family, 26 hours away by car (intentional, we don't get along) and well, I find what I call, xmas doesn't quite hold special meaning to me. My plans, enjoy a few days off work, listen to my system (thankfully with pillaged parts so it sounds right). Roast bad guys gaming on the PS3 and maybe screwing with systems to eke out more goodness. Crap like that.

Just curious to what others do this time of year when they don't feel like celebrating nor desire to.

And Happy Festivus For The Rest Of Us!
    Last edited by nbrowser; 12-20-2013 at 10:22 PM.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Any day I can spend with my wife is Christmas to me, life is too short, and I hate we spend most of it apart then together..

Yes I love her, in ways I never thought was possible, she is my rock...
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Bah Humbug you say, (Just kidding) 26 hours away from you is that North or South? I don't know the circumstance but is it not even exchanging cards with them? I bet you will enjoy the days off, the festivus, along with those A7's Enjoy :) I agree time with the Wife or kids is nice if you sit back and realize how busy our lifes are, and these couple of days is the time to slow it down and enjoy time with loved ones!
    Last edited by gudnoyez; 12-20-2013 at 10:58 PM.

I live on the West Coast, Abbotsford BC, a suburb of Vancouver BC, my family, the lot of them, live directly east of here still in Canada eh. And nooooo not bah humbug! Not in the slightest. Just don't celebrate xmas, won't poo poo people that do, but hey, we're all different...that's what makes the world...FUN !

And gudnoyz..I gots a girlfriend who is kinda in the doghouse for blowing my blippin tweeters...thankfully I was able to scavenge the tweets from my A3's til replacements arrive (Thanks Polk!)
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

I like Christmas because we shut down for two weeks, generally people are in a better mood, and I love the lights on the houses. Plus, it is a great time to be a kid, even if your birthday is on Christmas, or close to it.

Ex Catholic here. Xmas to me is a tree and gifts for the kids. Holds no other meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    Any day I can spend with my wife is Christmas to me, life is too short, and I hate we spend most of it apart then together..

Well spoken.

I agree that it sucks spending most of my time at work...AWAY from my family...kinda a fudged up system...
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I'll tell you what I miss! Going to Pa. to see my parents (both now deceased) and bringing my wife and kids with me, remembering the times we were together. You can't live forever, unfortunately! So that's a bummer! I guess that's a little more than 26 hours away? So there's always a little sadness this time of year but not only sadness!

I guess I'll be the Grandpa soon, right? And they'll be coming to see me! God are we getting that "old"?

Oh wait, Tony, aren't you already a Grandpa? And you're a little younger than I am? Hmmmmm....

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 12-20-2013 at 11:46 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post

Bedroom 2 channel: NAD C316BEE, Marantz cd6004, Polk Audio TSi100, Audioquest Bedrock & King Cobra
    HT: Onkyo HT-RC360, Athena Micra 6

Carla & i enjoy riding around & looking at lights on homes. There is a few places we can tune the radio on in the car & i think its cool a heck. It really gets me into the holiday mode. Otherwise its for the kids & grandbabys (we have 3)

I too do not celebrate xmas anymore, my entire family is dead...so this time of year is trying to say the least

I will watch the DVR and prolly get screwed up, once a year drinking binge...

A little bittersweet here as my stepkids are all in Australia so my wife gets a bit sad at times. My favorite things are spending time with her, looking at all the Xmas decorations, playing with my dogs and cat, listening to music, seeing family, and generally not being on a busy schedule.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Since I no longer have any living relatives and am currently single I am getting together with some friends that no longer have any family either.

And for Christmas Dinner I am making a two gallon pot of spaghetti sauce. All fresh ingredients and all homemade. My friends are making scratch made bread and pies. All that and a few bottles of Champagne will make it a very pleasant day.

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    Since I no longer have any living relatives and am currently single I am getting together with some friends that no longer have any family either.

And for Christmas Dinner I am making a two gallon pot of spaghetti sauce. All fresh ingredients and all homemade. My friends are making scratch made bread and pies. All that and a few bottles of Champagne will make it a very pleasant day.
    Make sure to add in some red wine to the sauce, and treat yourself to Romano cheese topping!
    Staff Member TONEAudio[SIZE="1"]
    Blogger Site_ smallspacesaudio
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    2 Ch. System
    SimAudio Moon i7 int. amp
    MacBook/PureMusic/iTunes,1.5 TB hd
    SimAudio 300D DAC,
    Harbeth Compact 7es3 Spkrs
    Magnepan1.6 w/SkiingNinja x-overs
    Rega RP1 w/Ortofon Super OM40
    SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Additional Gear:
    ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom3, Virtue Audio int. amp, Vista Audio Int. amp, iPod 160 gig

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Our family was always big on Christmas, Thanksgiving, birthdays, Easter---you name it. Being catholic I'm sure had a lot to do with it, but what I enjoyed most was the memories created. I'm still a huge fan of Christmas, as we're all pretty sentimental people. Bev & I still buy/wrap presents, decorate, bake goodies, and of course have prime rib for Christmas dinner; because I'm a little kid, trapped in a 51yr olds body.

How ever you choose to celebrate, while some of you may not identify with the religious aspects, now is a great time to reconnect friends/family--so enjoy!

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    Our family was always big on Christmas, Thanksgiving, birthdays, Easter---you name it. Being catholic I'm sure had a lot to do with it, but what I enjoyed most was the memories created. I'm still a huge fan of Christmas, as we're all pretty sentimental people. Bev & I still buy/wrap presents, decorate, bake goodies, and of course have prime rib for Christmas dinner; because I'm a little kid, trapped in a 51yr olds body.

How ever you choose to celebrate, while some of you may not identify with the religious aspects, now is a great time to reconnect friends/family--so enjoy!
    Great post Steve. I find this time of year is what you make of it, nothing makes me happier today than sharing/giving of my most precious resource, my time. One of the things that's become tradition here is my daughter stashing all the grandkid's gifts at my house and her spending evenings here wrapping while we watch Christmas movies drink hot chocolate and eat the goodies she's baked. Good times:) And I'm still that little kid too, except my shell's a bit older at 58. I live alone today, but what works for me when I get that bah humbug spirit is to go out and do something for someone else. Then it's not all about me :) I hope everyone finds someway to enjoy what the season has to offer!

Bravo Red.

Eh might invite a few friends over for a "listening party" and see if the dude with the Bose system sees some light...lol
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Eh might invite a few friends over for a "listening party" and see if the dude with the Bose system sees some light...lol
    Have him bring his system to do a A/B compare... and then when it loses use it as firewood
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

"Bose Christmas Miracle" sounds like a Hallmark channel movie...LOL.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Happy Festivus!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Christmas marks the end of my insanely busy peak season with Michaels arts and crafts. The holidays can bring out the best in some people and the worst in a lot of others. The 4 years i've worked where I do, you see a bit of everything. I get burned out on Christmas before it's even Thanksgiving. Living 1000 miles from home and losing my dad this year won't make Christmas a family event for me, but every year since moving to the Denver area my wife and I have gone to the zoo on Christmas day. One day for me to relax and regroup after the 60+ hour weeks and chaos. I suppose when you set up 12 artificial trees each year, and you watch people ravage your store for decor and gifts, you begin to forget what Christmas was even supposed to stand for in the first place.

Regardless of what you guys do on Wednesday, I hope you all have a fantastic day off of some sort. I know I will.
    Marantz 7005 + Adcom GFA-7500
    LSI15,9s,LSIC
    JL Fathom F112
    Marantz UD7006
    Squeezebox Touch + Hegel hd11

I had my birthday yesterday, and I thank everyone for the well wishes (via FB), but I sent out a message that challenges each of us: As I get older (52) I see my life not diminishing but increasing. The example I set goes beyond the walls of my home and into my community I serve and support, through leading a hand in need seeking help, providing protection to those that cannot defend themselves. Each of us are role models like it or not and the difference you make may very well depend upon the way you extend yourself towards others.

Christmas is an opportunity to see the smiles on my children, grandkids and wife face. I remind them all of the real reason for the season and be thankful and greatful. I ask for nothing for myself cause they just don't get the old man's passion for quality gear LOL :)
    Last edited by recoveryone; 12-23-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    Family Room HT 7.1:
    Pioneer Elite VSX 32 Pioneer Elite BDP 95FD Pioneer Elite DV 47Ai Pioneer Elite MD53 SlimDevice Transporter Panamax M5300-EX
    Living room 2ch:
    Integra ADM 2.1 Teac EQ MKII Squeezebox Touch Fluance SX Speakers
    Upstaris media room:
    Pioneer VSX D510 Sony PS3 Squeezebox Classic 3 Polkaudio Monitor 40 II fronts CSR Center
    Master bedroom:
    Pioneer VSX 520k Pioneer BDP 330 Squeezebox Classic 3 Polkaudio Monitor 40 II fronts, Rears Optimus LX5s CS3 center Acoustic Audio sub

Name:  festivus_wallpaper_3_1920.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  109.7 KB
    Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pioneer BDP-51FD | Pangea: AC-9SE, AC-14 PC's
    Monster PowerCenter HTS 5000 | Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100 | Dish HDTV
    Polk: RTi8 Towers, CSi5 Center, F/Xi3 Surrounds, CSi3 Single Rear | Polk Subs: PSW125-12", PSW303-8"
    Douglas Connection: Furez DCF124BW SC's | AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI | Monster: M850 SW-12, ULT I1000FO-4 IC's
    Acoustic Treatments OC703 | Dynamat: Components, Baskets

Old Polk
    Member Sales Rating: (10)

And Happy Festivus For The Rest Of Us!
    Same to you, enjoy!

Festivus is recognized by the state of Florida. An activist championing the separation of church and state successfully lobbied for a Festivus display in the state capitol's rotunda. The Festivus pole is adorned with Pabst Blue Ribbon beer cans. My state, ain't it great?
    • Innersound Eros MK III hybrid ESL - Innersound Bass/Active Crossover amp - Sanders Sound ESL amp
    • SVS PB12-Ultra/2 sub
    • PS Audio GCP-200 preamp w/external PS
    • Bluenote Bellavista table w/Sig.5 arm and Dynavector 20-x - The Clamp - PS Audio GCPH
    • Wadia 301 CD transport - Schiit Gungnir DAC
    • MIT Shotgun S1 IC's and speaker cables
    • PS Audio P3 Power Plant
    • Panasonic 58" plasma - Denon 3805 - PS Audio GCA-250 - Revel Ultima Gems and LE1/Sub15

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Have him bring his system to do a A/B compare... and then when it loses use it as firewood
    Wood ? Bose uses WOOD in their magic cubes ? I dun tink so !
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Happy Festivus to some and a very Merry Christmas to the rest.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Christmas is a state of mind. I feel sorry for those that reject it based solely on the religious aspect.

An activist championing the separation of church and state successfully lobbied for a Festivus display in the state capitol's rotunda. The Festivus pole is adorned with Pabst Blue Ribbon beer cans.
    Way to ruin the season for the rest....putz!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Christmas is a state of mind. I feel sorry for those that reject it based solely on the religious aspect.

Way to ruin the season for the rest....putz!
    I for one don't reject xmas based solely on the religious aspect, I don't reject it at all, I know it exists, but when your pretty much on your own with just a girlfriend and she's really not into it either, we just don't celebrate it.

And yeah, putz is right...I've had Pabst...ew ew ew...give me my Sleemans Honey Brown or Guinness, I know the US of A has beer...but where's the alcohol content ? lol
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

I know the US of A has beer...but where's the alcohol content ? lol
    In our bourbon.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Thread Information