Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Another Audio Rack

I am sure some of you remember the DIY audio rack I made from zebrawood and ambrosia/spalted maple.
    If you don't pics are below:

Recently, my wife and I finally received our custom made Amish furniture for our bedroom. A very simple, almost mission style in natural finish cherry. I love the way that cherry ages and the platform bed, bookcase headboard, book shelf, nightstand and 7 drawer chest that we purchased are heirloom quality pieces. We spent a LOT on it but we also know it will be the last set of bedroom furniture we need to buy.

That being said, my now 16 yo daughter moved in with us back in August. It caused the loss of my office/2 channel room. So I moved the rack and gear into our bedroom. The more we looked at it, the more we were convinced that I needed to make a matching rack for the bedroom furniture and utilize the zebrawood/ambrosia maple one in the living room with the HT gear as it matched/contrasted better with the dark wood furniture and maple flooring there.

This weekend I picked up the materials to build a similar (slightly improved design) cherry one for the bedroom.
    The design differences are mainly in the size of the rack. It is going to be 2 inches deeper, 2 inches wider and 1 inch taller than the current design. I am also using 2.25"x2.25" legs instead of 1.5"x1.5" and the shelves are 6/4 vs 5/4 on the other one.
    Overall, the rack will be more solid and will be finished with a simple clear sealer and a semi gloss poly to match the bedroom set.

So far, the progress has been:
    1. thickness planed and cut the shelves to width
    2. biscuit joined, glued and clamped the shelves (really hard to find cherry boards in 18" widths hehe)
    3. once the glue dried, belt sanded/assembly sanded the shelves
    4. cut legs from a chunk of 10/4 cherry board
    5. thickness planed and assembly sanded the legs
    6. made 7 cutting boards from the remaining scrap cherry along with scrap birdseye and tiger maple and walnut heartwood scraps...I always end up making 4 to 8 cutting boards from scrap stock I have laying around...I also made my first end grain butcher block this weekend. Going to reserve judgement on the success or failure until I get it planed and sanded. But it looks good so far.

I haven't taken any pictures yet but will be shooting some maybe tonight when I go to the shop and thickness plane the cutting boards.

I really wish I could make a living doing this stuff. I love computers but working with pre-fabbed parts just feels colder than taking a block of wood, working with your hands and tools and ending up with some functional piece of furniture or decoration.
    One of the primary requirements of house when we build will be enough room to build a shop out back. A small out building that is heated/cooled with a workshop and office area for me to do woodworking and to store/fiddle with my motorcycles.

More updates to come...
    Last edited by ZLTFUL; 12-23-2013 at 12:15 PM.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

So what your saying is once you build your house... you going to build me an entertainment rack in your new shop right .

Look forward to the pics of your build progress. The FB pics of the building blocks looks like its gonna be a keeper.....

Also why not just have the Amish build you a custom one
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Nice work should you start a shop as a side income, I would be driving west from the Quad Cities to Des Moines to pick up a custom made entertainment center.

I wouldn't mind it. Trying to find a picture of a wall unit I built...

I can build virtually anything from wood...I just suck and finishing hehe.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    I can build virtually anything from wood...
    That phrase kinda sets you up man ......

I built a baby with mine .....

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (1)

and now you know the rest of the story..........

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Beautiful grain on that wood!

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Very nice work... I love the DIY projects...
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...
    Powered By Wyred 4 Sound, STP-SE, SX-1000...
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    That phrase kinda sets you up man ......

I built a baby with mine .....
    Me too.. LOL!!
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...
    Powered By Wyred 4 Sound, STP-SE, SX-1000...
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

I'm curious as to what the turntable is in the pic? kenwood? also, that is a beautiful project.
    "The symbol is not the reality"

Very nice. Do you take orders?
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

I really like. I might have to start planning to build some.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade)
    Parasound: C/PT-600, HCA-800II; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i

HT:
    Denon AVR-888, Polk: RM7, PSW10, Marantz UD5005, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, DRA-825R, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S8, Monitor 5A, TSi100; Pioneer CT-6R, PL-530; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz PM5004, CD5004

NICE WORK!!! Now I'm inspired to build better racks. These are beautiful.
    Monitor 12's-RDO's and XO's done!
    Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR
    Adcom GFA-555 for power(being reborn, as I can afford it)
    Onkyo DX-C730 changer
    Onkyo CP-1057F table W/Grado cartridge
    CS300 center
    M4's for rears
    LG 47" LCD
    ROKU streaming gizmo

Nice work! I'm betting the pictures don't do them justice.

Quote Originally Posted by 4xoddic View Post
    Nice work! I'm betting the pictures don't do them justice.
    I'd have to agree here, gorgeous.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Bedroom
    Harman Kardon HK 3490/HK 3375
    A:Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers Black
    B:Polk Monitor (Model) 5 with Peerless Tweets
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Nice work, love the two tone finish. Looks solid as a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by laotzu61 View Post
    I'm curious as to what the turntable is in the pic? kenwood? also, that is a beautiful project.
    It is indeed.
    Kenwood KD-550.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
    Some day I would love to do nothing but woodworking for a living...unfortunately, IT work pays the bills better. Hehe.

I didn't do anything on the cherry rack last night as I wanted to finish up the 7 cutting boards I made. I will most likely work on it either late on Christmas day or sometime Thursday/Friday.
    I did discover that my dado blade is in need of sharpening (use it to notch the legs for the shelves). But will most likely get my buddy who owns the shop to spring for a new one since they have been using mine. Hehe.

Inspired by your build to make my own rack! Can you buy that type of would at Home Depot or is that a special order type of thing?

A friend sourced some spalted sycamore from http://www.kansashardwoods.com about 40 mi from here. He had a finish carpenter install it as trim & paneling for a room remodel; then finished it himself. The carpenter charges $100/hr. Being a wildlife biologist, he can point out a bald eagle in the spalting.

Quote Originally Posted by audiocr381ve View Post
    Inspired by your build to make my own rack! Can you buy that type of would at Home Depot or is that a special order type of thing?
    Most exotic hardwoods aren't readily available at your average home improvement store. We have a couple of local specialty hardwood suppliers, Liberty Hardwoods and The Woodsmith Store.
    You can get cherry, oak, maple and sometimes walnut at most of the big box home improvement stores.

Most exotic hardwoods aren't readily available at your average home improvement store.
    They are available at your average street corner in the bad part of town however

Sales Rating
    Gear

I wouldn't mind it. Trying to find a picture of a wall unit I built...
    I can build virtually anything from wood...I just suck and finishing hehe.
    Wow, I wish you were closer. I would pay to have you help me with a coupe of projects I want to build next year. A Salamander Synergy inspired A/V rack: http://images2.static-bluray.com/htgallery/53866.jpg

and some new speakers: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...=1#post1998111

The rack I think I can pull off....but trying to pull off a curved speaker built is going to be a major challenge. Still not sure If I want to go at it alone. May have to use a wood worker?
    Last edited by WLDock; 12-30-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

I am sure you could find a local woodworking shop willing to help you out for a price.

I plan to eventually do the same as my uncle's in WI are carperters. Just need the time to get up there w plans so we can build the rack.

I also want their help on a sonotube build or two I want to do.

Sales Rating
    Gear

You would be surprised at how easy it is to build a router jig to do curved cabinets.
    I will look up a couple of how tos when I get home.

Yes, that is what this guy did....built some jigs. His router work was outstanding!...and that wood is, as my wife would say....So Pretty!
    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...tatements.html

I think I might have to try and figure this one out. Would be a shame to build a these with a basic enclosure.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

Some folks have the talent, skill, and discipline to execute this kind of beautiful work!

Some of us, like me, have only the ability to stand by and admire it!

Well done, ZLTFUL!
    Family Room
    Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD Player, King Cobra XLRs
    Perreaux SM6P MKII Preamp, AQ Sky XLRs
    Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps, Morrow SP7 Cables
    SDA SRS 1.2as (RD0194s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: Xovers & Binding Post Cups, SDA Inductors & Interconnect Cables)

Exercise Room
    Wadia 171i, Supernova 6 Glass Toslink
    CA Azur 840C, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Perreaux SM6P Preamp & PMF3150 Amp, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Dreadnought
    SDA 1Cs (Mod'd)

Forgot to post up progress pictures of the new rack...

Picking up the raw materials...

(The wife really wants a Guanacaste live edge slab dining table after seeing this behemoth..future project maybe...but I digress.)

I had to biscuit join the shelves as there aren't many 17 inch wide cherry boards to be found too often.

Dadoed and drilled the legs...

Glued, screwed, pegged and sanded...just need to finish sand, install the feet/isolation cones and then I am ready to finish sand and finish...

I also ended up with 7 more cutting boards from scrap hardwood...

Last of the batch ready to be shipped...there were 2 smaller walnut and cherry "bar" boards that went to local friends.

The batch I did when I made the zebrawood rack...

Wow... I'm speechless. I don't have the tools or the skills to pull something like that off. Well done!

Racks are done except for the isolation cones. They should show up this week but the holes are already drilled for the mounts. They match the color/finish of the bedroom set perfectly. Of course now my wife wants me to build a cherry bookcase for the bedroom (we currently have a mission style oak bookcase in there) to match.

Last edited by ZLTFUL; 01-27-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Blah, they look like crap.... stick with making cutting boards ....

Sales Rating
    Gear

Thread Information