Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Odyssey candela

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Question Odyssey candela

Hi,

I bought a Odyssey Candela here back in April and just hooked it up a few days ago. It works great except the remote, absolutely no response at all.

Any ideas?? The batteries are good.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

I would call Klaus
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Quote Originally Posted by VR3 View Post
    I would call Klaus
    I will,but thought I would ask here to see if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks a lot!

Hmmm, it is a simple set up -

I will say the remote is garbage unless you have the fancy $200 version, chances are the remote is crap.

The Harmony universal has a selection for the Candela to program if you have one.

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

The one I have is plastic, i sure hope it didn't cost $200.00. I bought the unit off the forum here used. I will say I like it a lot, my first tube pre.

I do have a small Dared that I used in my office. I like it also,hard to believe the sound from such a small unit.
    Last edited by vmaxer; 01-02-2014 at 10:18 PM.

I forgot to mention, butI do have a Harmony one I bought some time ago that I don't use. Where do I find the program for it, on the web site?? I never really got it set up before.

It has been years but once you plug it into the computer, load the software, there should be a setting

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Congrats on your Candela. I've had one for the last 3-4 years and I love it. I bought it I also got the remote from Odyssey for the sole purpose of volume control. It performs a lot of other functions as well, just not for the linestage. I believe the remote was originally designed for the Symphonic Line CD player.

As Trey said, call Klaus. He'll make it right.

I've found that the Candela is very responsive to tube rolling. What tubes are you using now?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Quote Originally Posted by drumminman View Post
    Congrats on your Candela. I've had one for the last 3-4 years and I love it. I bought it I also got the remote from Odyssey for the sole purpose of volume control. It performs a lot of other functions as well, just not for the linestage. I believe the remote was originally designed for the Symphonic Line CD player.

As Trey said, call Klaus. He'll make it right.

I've found that the Candela is very responsive to tube rolling. What tubes are you using now?
    I will call his a soon as I get a chance, work is crazy busy now so I don't have much time at all during the day.

I haven't opened it up to see what tubes are in it yet. What are some good ones?? I have it feeding a GFA 555 going to a stock set of 2B studios I just got from the original owner. The system is dead quiet, I can pause a CD and crank the volume wide open and dead quiet.

From their web site it takes (2) ECC82/12AU7 tubes
    http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products-candela.html
    You'll have to wait for the tube experts to weigh in as to which tubes are the best to use :)

Quote Originally Posted by kcoc321 View Post
    From their web site it takes (2) ECC82/12AU7 tubes
    http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products-candela.html
    You'll have to wait for the tube experts to weigh in as to which tubes are the best to use :)
    Yes, I had looked and saw that, just don't know which tube to go for. Hopefully someone will chime in and let me know which ones to go for.

Thanks for the tip though.

Mine came stock with JJ Tesla 12AU7's, which sounded good. I then rolled in some RCA clear tops, which are not all that expensive. I paid $40 for a matched pair. The improvement was dramatic. Then I rolled in some Amperex 7316's late 50's vintage. Those brought the same degree of improvement over the clear tops that the clear tops did over the JJ's.

I've also read that Candela owners like tubes in the 5814 family, which I'm getting ready to try as the Amperex's have gotten noisy. Brent Jessee is a respected tube dealer; not the cheapest, but I've had good luck dealing with him. Here's his website: http://www.audiotubes.com/
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

I pulled the tubes out of mine, no info at all other than the 12AU7???

I will check around and see what I can find. Thanks a lot for the info!

Thread Information