Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Great update. Thank you for taking the time to write it up.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

mrbiron has the cables now for his 2 week demo period.

Is there anyone else that would like to sign up?
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (1)

*Warning* Uneducated/Experienced Review Ahead!!!!!

Let me start this review by stating that my original intent in partaking in this demo was to determine what my ceiling would be based on my genetic hearing loss. Yes, I have more than 50% loss all around without aids and this demo proved to be quite difficult for me but was a good set point of where i need to be.

So, let’s take a look at the associated gear and the direction of flow.
    Flac -> USB->Peachtree Decco 65->Douglas Ints->Anthem MCA20->Zu Audio Missio SCs->Zu Audio Omen MK1 Rev B……….all plugged into my PS Audio UPC200

I don’t necessarily need the Anthem in the mix but I’ve had a few showings for potential sales and just didn’t pull it out. I thoroughly enjoy having it installed and find it doesn’t brighten the music like most feel Anthem does. I also, did not spin a single vinyl in this demo due to lack of time.

Now, for a brief visual comparison of the speaker cables. I can tell you this, after all of the hype about upper echelon MIT’s, I was a little disappointed with the overall build quality. Not that it was bad but that it seemed to be on par with the much less $$ Zu’s that I already have with the exception of the Icon’s and inline boxes. Those are great! They still make the EXP2’s look like garbage.

I began this journey with just the MIT Stylelines in place of the Zu Missions. Thankfully, they were the perfect length where I didn’t have to move the speakers around all that much. Icon bananas were used on both the amp and speakers. They fit…..HOORAY! Now, I have a list of songs that I know by heart and started from the top. On a side note, no, I don’t listen to classical, female voices (although I’m not against, I just didn’t for this session)nor do I listen the optimal recordings that should’ve been used in this type of environment. I listened to what I enjoy!!!!!!

The beginning sample consisted of the following, which are all over the map as far as genres.
    Dire Straits – Sultans of Swing
    Tool – Sober
    Nine Inch Nails – Closer
    Paul Simon – Obvious Child
    Lettuce – Ziggawatt
    Stevie Ray – Stangs Swang
    Rage Against the Machine – I celebrate their entire catalog!!!!!!

And then a random array of tunes that arent worth mentioning. My Rat Shack was SPL meter was located directly in front of me so that I could set the volumes around 88db. I tried lower levels but it became hard to hear slight differences because, let’s face it, that’s just too low being 12’ from the speakers.

This environment happened over 3 separate nights spaced throughout my 2weeks. I did have the system running most nights but with a 10 month old, sitting down to focus isn’t an option.

So, the power gets turned and BAM!, I’m greeted immediately by too much bass. Now based on the Tool and NIN songs, you would think, “Hey, doesn’t this guy likes bass?”. I do, but this was to forward and a bit muddy. Also, I felt like my center point fell behind the speakers by about 4’. I reinforced this by having my wife sit in for a few songs. She confirmed the bass was little much bit did not experience the same sound field collapse that I did…….she couldn’t explain it so I dispatched her immediately. USELESS!

The highs weren’t bright and sounded quite nice without being to overpowering. The mids were the hard area with the bass being undisciplined and my depth issue. When listening to more mellow songs, I was able to experience a more accurate presentation that did sound quite nice.

Compared to my daily driver Zu’s, there was a slight improvement on most tracks with clarity on more mellow/subdued songs. The rock/hard rock/metal/alternative I feel are the Achilles heel of the Styleline speaker cables. The bass…..the poor poor bass just took a beating. Maybe a little EQing could have fixed this issue but I did not have time.

Next! I slide the Styleline Interconnects into the loop between the Peachtree and Anthem. The MIT’s have the same rugged feel as my Douglas Int’s meaning the cable flex/thickness were almost identical. The only major difference were the RCA’s used. The Styleline speaker cables were left in at the beginning of this test out of convenience.

Unfortunately, with the matching speaker cables installed, I had the same exact experience as I had with the prior setup. After a few songs I decided I’ve had enough, placed the Zu’s back into action and let the MIT SCs sit this one out. Play button is pressed and I begin listening to what I could swear were my Douglas Ints. All was right in the world! Sound stage had returned to the appropriate location between the speakers, bass was tight, mids smooth, and highs present are the helm. *Happy Again!* They do everything right and I couldn’t complain about them at all.

Last, I grab up the Styleline USB Plus cable out of its tiny little cardboard coffin and drip it in. This was used between the computer and the Peachtree. Again, thankfully the length was perfect for my applications. Before any of you castrate me for saying this, I did not hear an ounce of difference between my generic USB and MIT. The only major difference was the MIT cable is prettier. Why don’t we use the deaf card on this one and move on before the pitchforks get dusted off.
    I will add, this was the cable I was probably most curious about. My train of thought was that the generic USB was the weakest link and could stand a little improvement. Sadly, this is also the cable that I spent the least amount of time with. Actually, it was only used during one sitting that was unexpectedly cut short due to my life-roommate. My one major regret. There will be a purchase of a quality USB in the near future as a form of a back check!!

Here I am, after sliding the speaker cables, interconnects back into their velvet pouches and clicking the USB back into its plastic resting place, I can’t help but think I did it all wrong. Was my process flawed? Did I choose the wrong order? Is my gear not of quality to have these cables in their presence? Is my hearing really that bad? Should I have used the Peachtree as an integrated vs pre? Should I have had at least one other person really sit down to bounce ideas off of as to what I “we” would be hearing? I dunno…..plain and simple. This is where I lean on all of you with more experience.
    I did not use the HDMI, nor the single speaker cable in the HT. Again, lack of time but I was more concerned with the 2 channel system.

At the end of it all, I will say I am satisfied with my overall experience. I got to play with cables that are otherwise, “out of reach”. Are these the cables for me? At this current juncture, I will say no. But that doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t entertain the RCA’s or USB as a substitute later on down the road. The speaker cables seem to be less versatile as Dan and I appear to have had similar experiences.

*end note* A big thanks to the selfless Jesse for, as usual, being a huge contributing factor to this forum. You go above and beyond the call of duty.

I again apologize for my lack of knowledge and seemingly, unintelligent review.

Mark’s Ears
    2.0 - Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65 ,Zu Mission SC's, Audio Technica TT, Bugle2 & Bottlehead Reduction Phono Pre's, PS Audio UPC200, Doug's Int's
    HT - Anthem MRX300, RTIA3's, RTIA1's, CSIA4, DSW400, 55ST30, APC H15, 360 Elite, Panny DMP-BD35K

Looking for new homes....
    MIT EXp2 Cables
    Anthem MCA20

Nothing "unintelligent" about your review. You played what you liked, listened....isn't that what most do anyway ? There is very few jack of all trades in audio that will please 100% of the people. So don't be ashamed if one product here or there doesn't float your boat completely.

Thanks for your review, and thanks to Jesse and MIT for giving some the opportunity to get ears on these cables.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Great review, never question what you hear. You hear what you hear and that is that. If you re read my review of the very same cables doing the very same thing, our findings are very similar. I also found the bass to be overwhelming compared to a more natural smooth bass I get from both my Audioquest full wiring and Cardas full wiring.
    The " Network bricks" on these cables I believe is the cause of the increase bass and lack of mid range and soft highs. Most of the time the cables are pleasing to listen to as the mid's and highs come across nicely but I believe they have been cut to some degree in the re eking MIT did to them to have the bass stick out so much. A cable can't add to the signal only cut it so thats what I believe we both heard when demoing the full line.
    You gotta remember one thing, some systems and rooms probably could really benefit from this style of cable or MIT wouldn't be so successful selling them. They would get pulled off the shelves and MIT would rethink the engineering behind them. I do however also believe MIT thinks these cables serve a great purpose.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Sometimes when adding new cables, you might need to play around with speaker placement. If you add a new component and the bass gets muddy, it might just be more accentuated than normal and need to come away from the walls a little more. I don't see how you did anything wrong, but there might have been a few more things you could have done to integrate the cables a little better. No biggie, especially if your speaker location is nailed in.

Based on your review, I'd suspect these cables would sound much better in your rig on a speaker like Totem or B&W, where the detail is absurdly high, but the low end is a bit lacking.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Thanks for the confidence boosters guys! I was and have always been an HT guy due inpart to thinking I could never really appreciate a decent 2channel system. I did have a hard time with this. At first, it was all placebo but after a little time spent, things really came to fruitions.

I think THE hardest part was determining that these audiophile grade cables weren't for me and I was afraid I was going to A) sound like a pompous asshat , or B) anger Jesse for wasting his time.
    2.0 - Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65 ,Zu Mission SC's, Audio Technica TT, Bugle2 & Bottlehead Reduction Phono Pre's, PS Audio UPC200, Doug's Int's
    HT - Anthem MRX300, RTIA3's, RTIA1's, CSIA4, DSW400, 55ST30, APC H15, 360 Elite, Panny DMP-BD35K

Looking for new homes....
    MIT EXp2 Cables
    Anthem MCA20

I couldn't have written a review that good. I have an extremely hard time putting into words what I hear. A buddy of mine picked me up a couple years ago and wanted me to help him pick out some car audio speakers. We narrowed it down to two sets. They sounded completely different, yet I couldn't decide which one I likes the best. And couldn't put into words what I liked and disliked about each. He ended up buying the more expensive pair, because he thought the more expensive sound was the better sound. I took offense to that. But I think a lot of people do that, they make choices based on price if they don't have the experience to choose. I'm not referring to the MIT cables, but referring to my dumb*ss friend.
    Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pioneer BDP-51FD | Pangea: AC-9SE, AC-14 PC's
    Monster PowerCenter HTS 5000 | Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100 | Dish HDTV
    Polk: RTi8 Towers, CSi5 Center, F/Xi3 Surrounds, CSi3 Single Rear | Polk Subs: PSW125-12", PSW303-8"
    Douglas Connection: Furez DCF124BW SC's | AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI | Monster: M850 SW-12, ULT I1000FO-4 IC's
    Acoustic Treatments OC703 | Dynamat: Components, Baskets

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I thought it was well written. When I have my turn, I am going to try them out with the polk lsi9, legacy focus and the 2.3 sda. Sometimes like what has been mentioned before a cable will sound better with one speaker vs another.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Erniejade, I'll be curious to find out which you like best. I've only listened to one CD, but I must say, in my system, this is what the Dr. ordered.

Great review Mrbiron! I used to have a similar setup with Zu Omens, Peachtree and Mission cables and loved it. The Zu cables are definitely no slouch, and the Omens can be super picky with gear and placement too. I'm using MIT cables now (not as nice as the StyleLine) and like them with my current speakers, but you can't beat the synergy with Zu cables and speakers and i've tried a bunch of cables with them. Each cable required a lot of readjusting and changing speaker height off the floor to help calibrate for the change in bass in the Omens due to the finger ports on the bottom.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by xsmi View Post
    I've only listened to one CD
    Only one....slacker!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Thread Information