Just wanted to share my center channel pedestal build project that I completed during my Christmas vacation. My CsiA6 has been sitting on wood blocks on top of my equipment cabinet. So I have finally gotten around to building a nice pedestal that provides aesthetics and function. The function is to provide a stable and isolating (resonance/vibration) pedestal.
I started with carefully confirming the exact height and slope needed. I used a string attached to the CsiA6 and ran it at near ear level all the way to the back row seating. Using foam tiles and the current blocks of wood and lots of sitting/reclining in multiple locations, I found the perfect height/location that seems to cover all sitting locations. Then I took the necessary measurements and finalized my design. Attachment 93215Attachment 93216
Fortunately, I choose to saw all the pieces last Saturday before the cold and snow hit Chicago area. My driveway set up pic is attached along with a pic of all the final pieces. The angle from the frotn to the back of the pedestal is small, only a 1/4" difference in height (front to back). If you look closely at the side and internal walls, you can seen the slight angle. Pieces Finished.jpgDriveway Setup.jpg
Remainder of the build was completed in my small basement workshop. All pieces were glued and nailed. In order to add vibration dampening, I filled the pedestal with sand before attaching the top surface. Pics show the before and after sand was added. I actually baked the sand in our kitchen oven to quickly ensure it was thoroughly dry before pouring into the base since it was very wet in the bag when purchased. My wife was very tolerant, but thought I was crazy... Pedastal Filled wSand.jpgPedastal Ready for Sand.jpg
Once the top piece was attached, I added shelf edge molding around both the base and top and caulked all corners. Next I primed and then painted with a rich satin black to match the CsiA6. Primed Pedastal.jpg
The final component to ensure isolation of the pedestal was to add rubber floor tiles to the top and bottom surfaces. I used two tile thickness on the bottom and one on the top. These were 24" square interlocking tile that are 3/8" thick. I used a very sharp utility knife to trim them to size. A quick spray of contact adhesive stuck them in place. These thicknesses were taken into account for the overall height determined by the string.
Final pedestal is 31 lbs. I perceive the acoustic difference to be minor, but I believe it definately moved the needle in the right direction to help clean up the center channel sound. Aesthetically, it's awesome. This was a fun project and just another tweak to continue to build on my overall home theater experience. Final Setup.jpgFinished Pedastal.jpg