Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Question Polk MELEE. Fuzz/interference

hello. i must say i LOVE these headphones when plugged into an ipod or laptop.

however when i use them on my xbox 360 they have a rather loud, unchanging fuzz/interference. its loud enough that its noticable and im contemplating taking the headphones back. i think this noise is coming from the usb part of the hookup after some experimenting and effort to stop this noise.

ive used multiple locations for the usb (back of xbox, laptop, wall usb, router usb) for power and they all result in the same annoying noise, no differing in pitch or volume.

my other pair of gaming headphones ($20 rocketfish) have the same fuzz but at about half the volume so completely tolerable.

anyone else have the same problem? anything i can do? should i try and swap out for another pair of 'melees'

Currently, waiting to pick up the 4Shot for Xboxone. Keep us posted on your discovery and issues with XBOX360.

The Community wants to know about these issues. This could kill a good thing. Let Polkaudio know, directly and call Customer Service.

Quote Originally Posted by glingy View Post

however when i use them on my xbox 360 they have a rather loud, unchanging fuzz/interference. its loud enough that its noticable and im contemplating taking the headphones back. i think this noise is coming from the usb part of the hookup after some experimenting and effort to stop this noise.

ive used multiple locations for the usb (back of xbox, laptop, wall usb, router usb) for power and they all result in the same annoying noise, no differing in pitch or volume.

my other pair of gaming headphones ($20 rocketfish) have the same fuzz but at about half the volume so completely tolerable.

anyone else have the same problem? anything i can do? should i try and swap out for another pair of 'melees'

Hello glingy,
    Thanks for posting. I've made Polk CS aware of your problem, any updates you can share?
    Thanks, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by glingy View Post

I have had the buzzing with my headset and I found it was only when I charged my wireless controller while playing. If I unplug the charger wire from my control the buzzing goes.

Which has been a issue with most High end Headset. I have used them all. Can Polk Audio change that dynamic?

Quote Originally Posted by Big67 View Post
    I have had the buzzing with my headset and I found it was only when I charged my wireless controller while playing. If I unplug the charger wire from my control the buzzing goes.

I am having the same fuzz issue with my Melees on my Xbox One. The Melees are not connected to the controller so that is not the cause. Actually, it doesn't matter if the optical cable is even connected to anything. Any time the usb is plugged in (to the Xbox, TV, PC, anything I have tried), I hear the fuzz. There is no fuzz when connected to my phone/PC. It seems to me that the amplifier is causing the fuzz. Is there a solution out there? Should I return my Melees?

Hello,
    Thanks for posting about this issue. Let me forward this to Polk's QA and CS departments and get their reactions.
    Regards, Ken

Alright. so ive returned the previous MELEE's and gotten another pair. SAME PROBLEM. only this time the buzzing was only about 1/2 the volume of the first time. then over a week's time the buzzing got louder to the same volume of the first pair. i tried the same remedies again. trying different USB ports and even bringing the entire hookup away from all other electronics.

- This is a huge problem with a $200 pair of headphones.... i imagine an entire recall will have to be done on the amplifier piece.

so ive returned them and got a $40 pair of turtle beach x12's. No buzz/interference. The polk fit and finish was superior and well designed. nice volume knobs and great feel on the head. when plugged into an ipod the sound was fantastic. its amazing how a small manufacturing problem can make a $40 product twice as good as a $200 product

Hello glingy,
    I'm very sorry they didn't work out. Were you in contact with anybody from Polk about this?
    Regards, Ken
    Recent bumpersticker: "Before you criticize someone walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry he'll be a mile behind you - and shoeless!"

Polk Customer Service

GreenGreen,
    We can test out a pair here and send them to you.
    Call me direct at 800-377-7655 ext. 208 so I can get your address and phone number.

Thanks,
    Kim

I too am having problems with noise. It is perfectly clean with my phone plugged in but if I plug in my xbox one with the amplifer I hear a hissing noise. I suspect its the usb power with the amplifer. How is the xbox one adapter working with melee? Does it use the amplifier with the usb/optical chord? If so, this is bad.

Thank you Kim, for appearing here. This demonstrate Polk dedication to strong customer service. If anyone is having a similar issue please reach out to them and they will resolve your issue. This is the type of support that is needed in gaming. Because its our personal experience that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    GreenGreen,
    We can test out a pair here and send them to you.
    Call me direct at 800-377-7655 ext. 208 so I can get your address and phone number.

Thanks,
    Kim
    Last edited by GAMEPHRENIC GOD; 01-29-2014 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typo

Hi, did anyone in the thread have luck resolving this issue? I also have the white noise issue when the USB plugged in to powering the amplifier/audio converter dongle. It is not super loud, but it is quite noticeable and annoying - especially during movies and parts in games with low volume moments - see walking dead & the wolf among us. Just wondering what the experience was like trying to resolve this.

Thanks!

Hi, I bought 2 polk melee. I'm using one and offering the second to my brother.
    We both have the same issue. Once the headphones plugged to the amp, there is a white noise or interference.
    It's really annoying. I want to know if Polk is going to fix the issue. I love using the headphones with my phone, but I'm thinking of returning both because the I'm tired of hearing that white noise in the background

Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. My advice would be to give Polk CS a call at 1-800-377-7655 and I'm sure they can give some recommendations.
    Regards, Ken
    Recent bumpersticker: "Before you criticize someone walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry he'll be a mile behind you - and shoeless!"

Thread Information