Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Dac's in series...

OK i'm getting a headache trying to figure this out.I looked around but haven't found my answer.
    Example:When using a DAC it takes digital to analog.This of course means no digital out to another DAC.I get this.
    Enter the SB Touch as an example now.I feed with an ethernet which carries a digital signal to the Touch.I then run a coaxial cable from the o/p of the Touch to the OPPO.
    How is this bypassing the DAC in the Touch?
    How is it giving me a digital signal to the Oppo?
    Why wouldn't you only be able to pull analog from the Touch if it gets processed by an onboard DAC?

Member Sales Rating: (13)

The SB Touch isn't a standalone DAC.....it's a network streamer basically. You're sending digital in and whatever you want out....in your case digital out. All the networkable streamers are like this. They all have built-in DAC's but you can send the digital out to a standalone DAC.
    2 channel - Parasound A21 amp, PS Audio PWD MKII w/bridge, modded EE Minimax pre, ML Source speakers, Kimber 4TC, Gabriel Gold Rapture V3/Silnote Morpheus Ref. II IC's, Ps Audio AC5, AC3 and Pangea AC14XL power cords
    HT - Pio. Elite VSX21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panny DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk RC85i in-wall speakers
    Computer - Windows 7/JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

I'm trying to figure out how that happens without any special settings.It seems to me any unit with a DAC will want tto run the signal through.
    An AVR also offers digital out in the same fashion.I am just too stubborn or dumb to understand how this works.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Any time you use a coaxial or optical out it is digital out bypassing that DAC's device until you use analog cables

You are mind f*^#ing yourself
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
    Any time you use a coaxial or optical out it is digital out bypassing that DAC's device until you use analog cables

You are mind f*^#ing yourself
    I know, but how???????????
    How does that little chip know what i want???

Its different circuit outputs
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Quote Originally Posted by brgman View Post
    It's actually sending the signal to both the digital and analog outputs but it's sending a DAC-bypassed digital signal to the digital out and a DAC converted analog signal to the analog outputs. Unless, of course, you turn off the analog outputs completely, which is an option.
    Last edited by dragon1952; 01-19-2014 at 10:22 PM.
    2 channel - Parasound A21 amp, PS Audio PWD MKII w/bridge, modded EE Minimax pre, ML Source speakers, Kimber 4TC, Gabriel Gold Rapture V3/Silnote Morpheus Ref. II IC's, Ps Audio AC5, AC3 and Pangea AC14XL power cords
    HT - Pio. Elite VSX21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panny DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk RC85i in-wall speakers
    Computer - Windows 7/JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1952 View Post
    It's actually sending the signal to both the digital and analog outputs but it's sending a DAC-bypassed digital signal to the digital out and a DAC converted analog signal to the analog outputs. Unless, of course, you turn off the analog outputs completely, which is an option.
    Well that was easy.I should've thought of this.
    I guess I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
    Thanks.

I thought that was last week when you sent me that tex.
    Mcintosh MC-501 mono blocks
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun biwire speaker interface
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun XLR interconnects
    Polk 2.3TL's Gimpod boards/F-1 modded crossovers/dynamat/JB weld/Larry's rings/Blackhole 5 strips
    Polk 3.1 TL's mint/stock (purchased new)
    Polk SDA-2's

Quote Originally Posted by brgman
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1952 View Post
    Just to clarify....as for the digital signal, when I said "It's sending the signal" I meant the SB Touch, not the 'little chip' :^ ) The 'little chip' is just sending the analog signal, but both signals are being sent to their respective outputs regardless of which one you are using. So you could actually have more than 1 device connected to the Touch at the same time.

Thread Information