Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default About to pull the trigger on...

the Sherbourn PT 7030 pre-amp/processor from Emotiva. My first step into separates. It looks like it's got all my bases covered except automatic room correction; I'll have to do it manually, and it's not gonna pass through 4K or upscale but I'm always on the tail end of the technology curve anyway so I won't be going that route any time soon. The price is definitely right at $700. on clearance. Down from $1800.

So if you guessed my concern now is amps you'd be right. My surround speakers are in the 100W range except the A6 center. And the A7's are going to need plenty of power to get that sound everyone says they're capable of. My initial thought was to go with the UPA 700. At 80W x 7 it would do the surrounds nicely including the A6. Then I would bi-amp the mains with the UPA handling the mid and tweeters of the A7's and use a separate 2 channel amp to power the woofers. BUT with all the talk of on here of Emotiva amps being on the bright side I'm having second thoughts. The other option is the Outlaw 7075 at 7 x 75W. One review I read says it has the same signature as other more powerful Outlaw amps. Is anyone out there using an Outlaw amp to power A7's? Are they known to be 'warmer' or better suited to speakers like the RTiA7? Everything else seems to be out of my league right now and I'd rather not buy used for something like this.

Thanks in advance!
    AVR: Integra DTR-50.4
    TV: LG 50PS70
    DVD/CD/BR: OPPO BDP 93
    MAINS: Polk RTiA7
    CENTER: Polk CSiA6
    Heights: Polk VS 625RT (in wall)
    SURROUNDS: Polk TC60i (in ceiling)
    REARS: Polk R1
    SUB: Polk PSW 125

Member Sales Rating: (10)

I'd put my $$ into a better sub but that's just me. Your speakers are pretty easy to drive....
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX01 AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Sony CDP-C8ESD CDP, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's

Quote Originally Posted by ken brydson View Post
    I'd put my $$ into a better sub but that's just me. Your speakers are pretty easy to drive....
    Really? I've been using that 90Wper channel 671 (2 channels driven) for a couple of years and am not happy with the 2 channel listening for music. I want the upgrade for music as much as HT. Also, isn't it the higher the impedance value the more difficult the speaker is to drive? Meaning 8 ohms is harder than 6 or 4?

its the other way around 8 easiest 4 harder
    Family Room HT 7.1:
    Pioneer Elite VSX 32 Pioneer Elite BDP 95FD Pioneer Elite DV 47Ai Pioneer Elite MD53 SlimDevice Transporter Panamax M5300-EX
    Living room 2ch:
    Integra ADM 2.1 Teac EQ MKII Squeezebox Touch Fluance SX Speakers
    Upstaris media room:
    Pioneer VSX D510 Sony PS3 Squeezebox Classic 3 Polkaudio Monitor 40 II fronts CSR Center
    Master bedroom:
    Pioneer VSX 520k Pioneer BDP 330 Squeezebox Classic 3 Polkaudio Monitor 40 II fronts, Rears Optimus LX5s CS3 center Acoustic Audio sub

mmm...really thought more ohms meant more resistance.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

4 ohms speakers draw more current(less resistance). That means more power to the speakers.
    Some receivers/amps have a lot of trouble keeping up with 4 ohms.
    A good stand alone amp shouldn't have an issue with this. Please keep in mind
    that speaker efficiency varies, so 4 or 8 ohm isn't the real key so much as speaker
    design.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Only your own ears will tell you if the speakers are too bright. All speakers improve when driven to their full potential. I always encourage people to get at least a 200wpc amp, this is enough to let just about all speakers operate to their full potential. The speakers will only take what they need when they need it. But the power has to be there for them to access it.

If you are willing to shop used you can find good deals on Audiogon for an amp. Look at Parasound, B&K, Outlaw Audio, Rotel, Sunfire. You may have to spend more money up front, but it is a piece of gear that you can keep for years to come through all other upgrades to your system.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by sucks2beme View Post
    4 ohms speakers draw more current(less resistance). That means more power to the speakers.
    Some receivers/amps have a lot of trouble keeping up with 4 ohms.
    A good stand alone amp shouldn't have an issue with this. Please keep in mind
    that speaker efficiency varies, so 4 or 8 ohm isn't the real key so much as speaker
    design.
    Understood. A bit of an oxymoron, in a sense.

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Only your own ears will tell you if the speakers are too bright. All speakers improve when driven to their full potential. I always encourage people to get at least a 200wpc amp, this is enough to let just about all speakers operate to their full potential. The speakers will only take what they need when they need it. But the power has to be there for them to access it.

If you are willing to shop used you can find good deals on Audiogon for an amp. Look at Parasound, B&K, Outlaw Audio, Rotel, Sunfire. You may have to spend more money up front, but it is a piece of gear that you can keep for years to come through all other upgrades to your system.
    I wish I could audition the Emotiva. Being in Canada a 30 day return policy doesn't help much. I don't get the free shipping, I pay duty and the taxes and return shipping if I don't keep it. Duty and taxes I'd get back with hassle and I'm still out hundreds. I'll keep that 200W number in mind.
    I'll be checking to see if Audiogon has a Canadian site.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

A better amp and preamp will improve the sound, but they're not going to turn those speakers into a pair of Magnepan or DynAudio. Speakers generally sound how they're gonna sound and an amp won't change that sound character so much as make improvements.

If you're very unsatisfied with your speakers now then you need new speakers, if you're looking to squeeze that extra bit of performance out of your speakers then a new amp or preamp could be what pushes that over the edge.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain View Post
    I wish I could audition the Emotiva. Being in Canada a 30 day return policy doesn't help much. I don't get the free shipping, I pay duty and the taxes and return shipping if I don't keep it. Duty and taxes I'd get back with hassle and I'm still out hundreds. I'll keep that 200W number in mind.
    I hear you...

In Canada, you have the Audiogon alternative.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Thanks for the link SCR.

...So if you guessed my concern now is amps you'd be right... ...And the A7's are going to need plenty of power to get that sound everyone says they're capable of. My initial thought was to go with the UPA 700. At 80W x 7 it would do the surrounds nicely including the A6. Then I would bi-amp the mains with the UPA handling the mid and tweeters of the A7's and use a separate 2 channel amp to power the woofers. BUT with all the talk of on here of Emotiva amps being on the bright side I'm having second thoughts. The other option is the Outlaw 7075 at 7 x 75W. One review I read says it has the same signature as other more powerful Outlaw amps. Is anyone out there using an Outlaw amp to power A7's? Are they known to be 'warmer' or better suited to speakers like the RTiA7?
    I find your sense of adventure refreshing. Have you considered going slower on upgrades w/a more powerful 3 ch, XO component upgrades, or both? BTW: I haven't read all the replies.

Tony
    Samsung 60" LED
    Rotel 1068
    LG BDP
    Denon LDP
    LR: RTi A7*** Biamped w/TDM EXO
    MT: Rotel RB985->AR 12 ga->MT feed & mids wired w/AR 12ga
    Subs: Belles 1 for each LR subs->MC 10ga->wired w/8ga Powerline

CC: Rotel RB985->AR 12 ga->CSi A6, mids wired w/AR12 * ***
    SW: Seismic Audio powered 18" wired w/AR12
    Surrounds: Hafler XL280->fed & wired w/AR12->RTi A1**
    *Bi** or tri***-amped one day

...isn't it the higher the impedance value the more difficult the speaker is to drive? Meaning 8 ohms is harder than 6 or 4?
    you have it backwards. At the risk of overstating it, the vast minority of amps can safely drive 2 ohms well.

Cuchulain Welcome to CP..
    I was in your situation a while ago I bought the Emotiva XPA-5 to run my HT the Emo is very good for HT but can be a little bright sounding especially if your speakers are bright already,if this is the case I would advise against the EMO..
    I took the chance and ordered one I have since sold mine on Canuckaudiomart..
    I basically got what I paid minus the duty and shipping after one year..

VTL Compact 100 mono blocks, Casta Acoustics Model A's, VTL 5.5 Preamp,Audio Note L3 Phono Stage with audio Note AN-S2 Step Up,HiDiamond H5 Speaker Cables,McCormack DNA 500 ,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT/Technics SL-1200Mk2,Ortofon Cadenza Red/

Cost me about 200 in shipping and duties to get an xpa3 up here a while back, I also had RTIA7's and a CSIA6... I hated every minute of it. I spent quite a lot of time with it, was alright for HT and made my face bleed when I listened to music. But I had no problem selling it on canuck audio mart, not with out taking a small loss of course.

Thread Information