Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Might have to make the jump to a full blown AVR...but not for HT.

Well, after spending some time evaluating my system and how stupidly a few things are connected (Apple TV having to go HDMI to the TV then to the 3490 via analog cables), XBox 360 using the elcrapo A/V cable to get audio to the receiver and other assorted hook ups. I've come to the conclusion, I need more inputs.

Ideally, I want something with a TON of inputs on the rear end, looking up things like the Pioneer SC-1227-K ($600) or a lower end Marantz AVR (NR-1403 $450), internal amplification really doesn't matter much as there is a required FRONT pre-out. Retaining the Parasound amp is paramount and non-negotiable.

Will I ever use the built in auto set-up ? Nope. Does having access to several soundfield options matter ? Nah. Do things like simple bass/treble controls matter ? A qualified yes.

I may sound like a nutjob and yeah I resemble that statement with the idea of using an AVR a head unit for a 2 channel system. So if any of you folks have ideas go ahead, spit em out. And feel free to call me a nutjob :) Remember, I ain't rich by any means.

Ken
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I don't think your nuts. For the living room my elite sc27 pulls double duty. Some of them sound way better then people give them credit for in my opinion. The pre section I think doesn't suck! And the built in dac sounds darn good using my sony brp for redbook.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Btw picked up my sc27 used on here. ( thanks again leroy!! )

I found myself in the same boat not long ago and I don't have the experience to help - except to say I went with the NAD T-758 its runs bout $999. had the pre-outs i wanted and the talk about music first with these nad AVR's but... I don't think I'd recommend it because its has little quirks they sort of drive me nuts. The sound and music from it are top notch but the AVR parts act weird sometimes and the auto setup didnt work at all for me.
    I have appletv Bluray xbox360 all hooked up thru it with just one hdmi cable going to the TV. but my problems with it maybe just me I'm reading and trying to learn all I can to best use it.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

When it comes to a receiver Pioneer gets my vote, with that said I have not heard the Marantz you listed..
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Not to derail you from getting a receiver if you have your mind set for that, but it sounds like to me you could get the most bang for your buck with a DAC with multiple inputs...
    Audio-gd is running a special right now on a free upgrade to DSD & 384Khz on the first 100 units... but you have to review it...
    http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB1/NFB1PEN.htm
    It would take you a good deal into the future as far as tech goes, and has balanced outputs, so you have that option available as well, if you chose to move up... At $499, would be in the ball park of the other receivers you mentioned, and you would be able to retain your 'front end' HK or change that out at some point.. gives you alot of flexibility...
    Last edited by kcoc321; 02-08-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

If you're crazy, then so am I, as I recently did the same thing myself...

Since getting out of the HT scene a couple of years ago, I had been running a 2.0 channel setup. I do not have cable (just an antenna, as it gets all the channels I need/want), so I had to run a 1/8" mini to dual RCA cable from my TV to whatever amp/receiver I was running to listen to TV sound through my speakers. Also, I had to run analog audio cables from my Sony blu-ray player to the amp/receiver, and I wasn't very pleased with the sound of the Sony's analog section (big surprise, huh?). Then, I recently moved and decided I needed a subwoofer to help get enough bass in my large listening space, therefore I needed something with proper bass management...

After much thought, I decided that my best option was to get a mid to upper end HT receiver that has good quality DAC's and bass management. I chose a Yamaha RX-A1020, as I've owned more Yammies than I can recall, and they've never let me down. I'm very pleased with the results I'm getting, as TV/Blu-Rays (I'm also able to listen to SACD's in DSD over HDMI) now sound much better using the DAC's in the Yammie, and as a bonus it has an HD radio tuner built in, and I listen to my local PBS' jazz station in HD quite a bit, and it sounds very good!!

Is it as good or better than a quality 2 channel integrated/separates for music? Of course not, but it most definitely doesn't suck. It actually sounds very good to my 'ol ears, if it didn't it would not be in my setup...
    Last edited by Rick88; 02-08-2014 at 06:16 PM.
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

That Pioneer will do the job just fine! And for 600 you won't beat it!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Seriously considering the 1227-K...however anyone know the difference between it and the 1228-K?
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick88 View Post
    Is it as good or better than a quality 2 channel integrated/separates for music? Of course not, but it most definitely doesn't suck. It actually sounds very good to my 'ol ears, if it didn't it would not be in my setup...
    I'd have to really rethink that statement. With today's technology a top flight AVR doesn't take a back seat to separates/integrated. My Yammie Aventage AVR is proof enough of that for me. That's an old wives tale from years ago that is entrenched in many an audio mind.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    That Pioneer will do the job just fine! And for 600 you won't beat it!

cnh
    Yeah...considering Pioneer's own website states a $1,299.00 MSRP...$599.99 ain't too bad.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

yay I'm now the proud owner of a full on AVR...going from a 15 page manual for the 3490 to a 100 page novel for a Pioneer...ugh learning curve.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    I'd have to really rethink that statement. With today's technology a top flight AVR doesn't take a back seat to separates/integrated. My Yammie Aventage AVR is proof enough of that for me. That's an old wives tale from years ago that is entrenched in many an audio mind.
    I'd beg to differ.

Can you get good sound out of an avr? Yes.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

I dunno about that either. Only because it's an apples and oranges thing. You certainly can't compare seperates to a 1500 buck avr......none exist in that price range. Obviously separates cost more coin....and they do sound better. How much better.....and if that extra coin is worth it depends on the individual. I do believe that totl AVR's are certainly closing that gap but they aren't there yet. I have heard a lot of AVR's ....a lot, nothing compares to the sound a Cary cinema 12 and amp puts out.

Then again, we are talking 2 different levels on the audio playing field so you really can't compare the 2. When you get to a certain level in audio, improvements in SQ come in smaller doses, but those smaller doses cost some coinage. Bigger doses cost even more.

In my book, I tend to look at things first for SQ, then by way of the old wallet. At the rate technology is changing, gear becomes obsolete a lot quicker with receivers and processors. Which would you rather be stuck with, a 1k avr.....or a 4k processor ? 2 channel never becomes obsolete and holds value way better.

No need for me to rethink my statement, my ears don't lie. Now, I'm not knocking AVR's at all, because I agree that today's top flight AVR's can and do sound very good with music, including my RX-A1020 (like I said, if it didn't it would not be in my setup). However, it is not quite up to the level of some of the 2 channel amps I've used in the last couple of years. A couple I can think of right off the bat are the vintage Yamaha CR-1020 I had, and the Anthem Integrated 225. The Anthem in particular was fantastic, it was easily the best sounding amp I've ever owned, and I've missed that one since I sold it.

In the end, all that matters is whether we like the sound of our gear, not what others think or say. And I am happy with mine...
    Last edited by Rick88; 02-09-2014 at 08:01 AM.

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    yay I'm now the proud owner of a full on AVR...going from a 15 page manual for the 3490 to a 100 page novel for a Pioneer...ugh learning curve.
    Congrats! Which one did you end up purchasing, the 1227 or 1228?

In the end, all that matters is whether we like the sound of our gear, not what others think or say. And I am happy with mine...
    Well put chief.

I'd also add that we tend to always ask if x is better than y but audio has way too many variables to talk in such generalities.

If it wasn't for bad luck...

...DOA upon first power up...back to the store today. THIS is why I try to buy locally!
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

If it wasn't for bad luck...

...DOA upon first power up...back to the store today. THIS is why I try to buy locally!
    Man, sorry to hear that! But like you said, buying local does have its advantages...

Man, sorry to hear that! But like you said, buying local does have its advantages...
    Yep, figured I'd hook it up direct to my lil A3s...and a iPod source, got it all wired up, plugged in to power and pressed the Power button and nothing, not even a click or display light up, nothin. Tried a different outlet (Same one my bedroom PC feeds from and was on) and still nothing. Thankfully I didn't break down the big system and find this out.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Might have to make the jump to a full blown AVR...but not for HT.
    Sounds like your just having an identy crisis on what your system is.
    Last edited by jbooker82; 02-09-2014 at 11:28 AM.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II

Quote Originally Posted by jbooker82 View Post
    Sounds like your just having an identy crisis on what your system is.
    More so his wallet has the identity crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    More so his wallet has the identity crisis.
    Nah, he's holding his wallet, but he's definitely the one sitting in the corner rocking back and forth with a twitching eye.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Nah, he's holding his wallet, but he's definitely the one sitting in the corner rocking back and forth with a twitching eye.
    Yeahhhhhh sittin here rockin back n forth with a $600 paperweight sittin in front of me...yeahhhhhh.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Member Sales Rating: (10)

No need for me to rethink my statement, my ears don't lie. Now, I'm not knocking AVR's at all, because I agree that today's top flight AVR's can and do sound very good with music, including my RX-A1020 (like I said, if it didn't it would not be in my setup). However, it is not quite up to the level of some of the 2 channel amps I've used in the last couple of years. A couple I can think of right off the bat are the vintage Yamaha CR-1020 I had, and the Anthem Integrated 225. The Anthem in particular was fantastic, it was easily the best sounding amp I've ever owned, and I've missed that one since I sold it.

Amps aside I'm talking about the performance for music listening. I've always had external amps due to my room size & setup. My experience had been with NAD & now Yamaha, both of which were their flagship models at the time. Even with the flagship line I always had external amps...3,000cu ft room is rather large & requires good, clean power. With that being said I have had separate preamps w/ HT bypass strictly for 2 channel listening, a CJ tube pre & a Kress SS pre. They both sounded exceptional but truth be told the AVR's also sounded exceptional, enough so that I had no need to keep the separates in the chain. One thing I will give you is that separates along w/ other gear will most likely give you a different sound, a sound that you if you feel is better than the separates are warranted. In my case that just didn't pan out.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Amps aside I'm talking about the performance for music listening. I've always had external amps due to my room size & setup. My experience had been with NAD & now Yamaha, both of which were their flagship models at the time. Even with the flagship line I always had external amps...3,000cu ft room is rather large & requires good, clean power. With that being said I have had separate preamps w/ HT bypass strictly for 2 channel listening, a CJ tube pre & a Kress SS pre. They both sounded exceptional but truth be told the AVR's also sounded exceptional, enough so that I had no need to keep the separates in the chain. One thing I will give you is that separates along w/ other gear will most likely give you a different sound, a sound that you if you feel is better than the separates are warranted. In my case that just didn't pan out.
    After looking at the gear in your sig, I bet your rig sounds fantastic!! I've been wanting to give the new Q Series a listen, and I've almost pulled the trigger on a pair of Q300's from A4L a couple of times...

After looking at the gear in your sig, I bet your rig sounds fantastic!! I've been wanting to give the new Q Series a listen, and I've almost pulled the trigger on a pair of Q300's from A4L a couple of times...
    Ditto that. If it weren't for the somewhat pricey return shipping I would have done it months ago.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player

And just like that, for less than 24 hours I was the owner of a Pioneer SC-1227-K, no more at the store to exchange for...refunded. Now to find another store with stock or think about something else...still the baby Marantz looks appealing kinda.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player

Quote Originally Posted by drummer86 View Post
    Because he's on the wrong side of the border
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Thread Information