Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I think you're selling yourself short with that Oinker. I was going ask if you had run the auto setup and noticed that it only has Audessey 2EQ!? This may not appeal to you at the time, but I'm sure part of the reason you're going with an AVR is to future-proof your setup as much as possible. IIRC 2EQ is below MultiEQ, MultiEQT, MultiEQXT32, and the new Audessey DSX. Even for $500, I think you should be able to do better with your hard-earned money.

http://www.audyssey.com/technologies/multeq/flavors

If you like how it sounds though I think you have a good starting point.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player

Quote Originally Posted by drummer86 View Post
    I think you're selling yourself short with that Oinker. I was going ask if you had run the auto setup and noticed that it only has Audessey 2EQ!? This may not appeal to you at the time, but I'm sure part of the reason you're going with an AVR is to future-proof your setup as much as possible. IIRC 2EQ is below MultiEQ, MultiEQT, MultiEQXT32, and the new Audessey DSX. Even for $500, I think you should be able to do better with your hard-earned money.

http://www.audyssey.com/technologies/multeq/flavors

If you like how it sounds though I think you have a good starting point.
    It's not about "future proofing" myself. I have simply run out of audio inputs on the HK3490, it's just 2 channel, sure it's got a nice DAC in it, a single optical and single coaxial digital input. It's got a few video analog inputs, heck it's even got a phono input and that's about it for a growing system with more sources.

Also I thought I won the fight against the significant other about going HT as well, she really does indeed want surround sound. Me ? I couldn't give a rip. I prefer 2 speakers, LEFT and RIGHT. So I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone and still make the system sound good as a 2 channel rig which it'll be for 90% of the time.

So as noted earlier in this thread, I require more inputs, sure $500 sounds like alot to an American (no not US bashing here). We generally pay 10-30% more for goods up there than down there. Bring it over the line? Yep, government will get you there too. $500 doesn't go terribly far up here when it comes to A/V gear. I could get for example a Onkyo HT-RC560, a Yamaha RSX600 or a RXV-675, a Pioneer VSX-1028, etc. At that price point, I don't get something I need, front channel pre-out. The TX-NR717, was normally sold for $1,049.99 up here.

The SC-1328 I had picked up, is normally a $1,399.99 unit up here, got it open box for $719.99 and thought great deal it'll be marvey n nice. hooked it up according to the map AVNavigator laid out, including the network connection and basically set it up via my PC and then got it to output music...right off the bat, I was disappointed with the sound quality so I got into it with the manual right in my lap on a laptop, me, the remote and other things and just couldn't configure it to sound good to MY ears, manually messing with the crossover, the tone controls etc. disabling what MCACC did completely and going from a complete system reset and bypassing MCACC did not yield results that pleased by maligned ears. Not even Direct or Pure Direct could alleviate my dislike for the way it sounded. There were only 2 towers hooked up to the Parasound, nothing to it directly. The source was my Marantz CD6004 feeding the 1328 with analog cables.

In other words, music, stereo, no surround modes, just the AVR/Amp/2 speakers and a CDP.

Now another contender has entered the house. the Onkyo TX-NR717, sure it's last years model, sure I took the one off the shelf from the store to basically screw around with. They do have a brand new in box sitting in the stock room if I think this one will work with my setup.

Got it home, said screw auto config, no mic. Plugged it in and with the manual nearby...did a System Reset as this was on display so who knows how it was configured. Hooked it up to the amp via the Front Pre-Outs, jammed the RCAs in from the CD6004 and fired it all up then MANUALLY told it, yeah on this input your gonna play in stereo, yeah your tone controls are going to be activated oh and while we're at it...so will the EQ. Now we'll set the Front speakers to Large and make sure they are set for Full Range. All done manually. Then fired up a CD, sounded quite good actually, but as I like a little more bass I added 2Db, then it kinda got a little flabby at volume so I backed it off and went into the EQ, added 2Db boost at precisely 63Hz and whamo, it sounded fabulous.

Now I paid $500, that's for the in box one at the store still, I know the salesman and he suggested I pay for it, leave the boxed one there and take the one right off demo for a few days and just screw with it. If I don't like it, take the demo one back get full refund and they don't have another open box sitting unit there. But so far, I love the sound quality to my maligned ears.

So I have a few days to play with the unit and at this moment, I'm sitting here listening to the real basic set up deliver Dire Straights with such authority that tickles me pink. Just remember, what works for one set of ears, might not work another set of ears and if this thing sticks around...oh and the girlfriend has to pop for the CSiA6 if she wants full surround :)

P.S. Auto Setup ? Don't got the mic as noted above. Just AVR and remote.
    Last edited by nbrowser; 03-04-2014 at 10:14 PM.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Apologies for the small novel in a post there...I won't do it again....
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Apologies for the small novel in a post there...I won't do it again....
    Why not ? I enjoy a short novel. Only next time at least add a cute girl, a bad guy, and a hero. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Why not ? I enjoy a short novel. Only next time at least add a cute girl, a bad guy, and a hero. LOL
    ah shucks...all I was tryin to do was end the "baffled" part of things. and kinda rambled on and on and on and on and on...I "think" I explained the situation as best I could. Gotta problem with that ?
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Gotta problem with that ?
    Yeah....no happy ending ?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Yeah....no happy ending ?
    There won't be no happy ending until this damn AVR proves itself and so far, so good. still got a few things to try with it like jacking in the TT and the PS3 via HDMI...trial and error. Pioneer lost quick, the Onk, is sticking around a bit longer and I'm diggin it.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

If it sounds good it is good right? Best of luck on your quest. No one minds the short story but definitely add a good guy/bad guy and a pretty girl next time as Tony said. Maybe a trusty sidekick.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

Well, the TX-NR717 is gonna stick around for the foreseeable future, took some screwing with in certain inputs to get the sound just right but she's good to go, extremely flexible with setup, sounds damn fine and can actually power a pair of A3s quite well in the rear. The preamp section delivers a nice signal to the Parasound and thusly to the towers.

Took a few missteps but I am fairly certain I've got a handle on this thing. And NO, I will never ever run the auto-calibration, I hid the mic!
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

So you finally found a winner ? Does this mean I can stop going to church now ?

tony, LOL well the little Marantz just lacked the direct power to drive the A3s and I'm sure it would of suffered as well trying to drive a CSiA6, the Pioneer sounded sterile to me, surgical and empty. The Onkyo, sounds really nice, has enough amp in it to drive a pair of A3s and a CSiA6 (once said center speaker is bought...looks at the girlfriend...that one's on you babe!

Now I know what you guys go through finding a piece that fits with what you have in your systems now. Trial and error pure and simple. I'm not gonna say I got high end gear but I like to think I've got a half decent set up at the moment. Granted it's not oh...tube amps or Brystons or B&K nor do I have Totems or Salks or SDAs but I like what I got and from what I can see, it takes specific stuff to make the whole ball O wax sound good.

I will say this though, this damn hobby is costing me money...money I'm happily putting out for good sound tailored to my much maligned ears.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Congrats on finally finding a winner. Change is scary in this hobby... it can be hit or miss, and sometimes you just don't know until you're stuck with a new piece that sounds like ****. Luckily you had a chance to return everything that didnt work.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Your next task is to stop downplaying your setup. You've got a pretty sweet rig man. Be proud of it!

DSkip, I agree on hit or miss, the rollercoaster of hit or miss rolled through here like a freight train, now I know kind of what your going through with your upgrade thoughts. It can be pure hell going from "This crap sounds damn good!" to "What the hell happened to the music?".

drummer, weren't you the one doing a little browbeating on the 717? lol I'll admit I did research into the the auto-cal routines of it and honestly, I'd rather screw with the settings myself. For now, the Front speakers are set to Large, I planted a banana on each of the A3s and hooked them up to the AVR's front speaker terminals for now. Always remembering to make sure they are hooked up when I go to work, makes operation for the girlfriend easier right as she doesn't have to fire up the amp. And yeah, it's just a simple little system, one that goes to 11 when asked and sounds great when vibrating walls, clocks, hell anything in the room.

When the woman brings home a center channel, it's 5.1 then, a small rewire and manual config...and whamo, basic HT. But I know the 717 is capable of much much more.
    Last edited by nbrowser; 03-10-2014 at 09:10 PM.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

drummer, weren't you the one doing a little browbeating on the 717? lol I'll admit I did research into the the auto-cal routines of it and honestly, I'd rather screw with the settings myself.
    Haha yes, I thought you could do better for the money. But I'll be the first to admit two things:
    1. I've never heard a Marantz Cd Player -> Onkyo NR717 -> Parasound HCA1200 -> RtiA7 combo and
    2. Sometimes I'm wrong.

Cheers!

The combination does indeed sound very nice, once some things are "adjusted" to my liking. In fact I'll go out on a limb and say this, the Onkyo sounds better than the HK did in this system. Looks classier too with it's all black faceplate and not too bright display and volume knob lighting where the HK was bright in that regard.

And then...there's that mutant in the bedroom now...honest mutant...but it actually...works!
    Last edited by nbrowser; 03-10-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Cool man, looks like those 5 "Hail Marys" and 10 "Our Fathers" I had to say worked out. Not for you per say, just so I didn't have to read another " trying out another receiver " post. LOL...ENJOY !!

Welllllll there is the opportunity to audition an Anthem MRX 710...KIDDING! The 717 does PRECISELY what I need/want and sounds fine doing it! Now...to tweak the bedroom mutant...girlfriend is so scared of it...lol
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

20 days later...

...The 717 is still here, the 717 sounds fantabulous. Borrowed a buddies CSiA4 (I know...it's SMALL compared to the towers) used the A3s out back, the sub...sounds decent in a 5.1 set up. Stereo with just the A7s running off the amp is deeeelish, I love this AVR, easy to muck around with, sounds damn good and didn't cost me a small fortune all things considered. One of these days...I"ma gonna hafta post a detailed review of this thing I call "my rig" If anyone is interested that is.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004