Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default the thicker the better?

hello

i have a question, for wiring speakers a thicker wire for the speakers is better than thiiner speaker wires?

i have the question because i do not know if a thicker cable would ensure to me a better sound quality or more detail on music and movies or just do not matter if the wire is thicker or not.

best regards
    Frank

Worst title ever.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Worst title ever.
    Hehe
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX01 AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Sony CDP-C8ESD CDP, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's

the thicker the better?...That's what she said

The answer is most cases is yes. 14awg speaker cable usually performs better that 18awg lamp cord.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Worst title ever.
    Just spit beer on my laptop. Too funny.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Where can I buy black paint? Anyone know?
    --Gary--

My wife keeps telling me I have a "thick" head....somehow I don't think she's insinuating that's "better".

Hey Fred welcome to CP. A good quality 14ga wire will suffice a lot of speaker connections. Quality being the keyword here. If you are trying to upgrade there are a lot of threads on the forum about just this subject. Get your read on. But as was stated earlier don't use lamp cord. Again welcome and good luck.
    HT: LSI15, LSIC, LSIFX, Emo XPA-3 Onkyo TXNR809, Sony BDP-S500, PannyDMP-BDT320, MIT S1 SC. Mit 73842dlp
    2ch: SDA-SRS 2.3 Fully modded. BAT VK500 w/batpak, BAT VK5I
    TT, cd player, In my near future.

have my reservations because i tried with those cables that are way thin and just i find that do not get the same clarity and when use a thick cable i find too much bass over bookshelfs so can blame to the wire or to the speaker .

best regards

It's not all about thickness but quality counts as well. Can't believe I just said that....
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX01 AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Sony CDP-C8ESD CDP, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    my wife keeps telling me i have a "thick" head....somehow i don't think she's insinuating that's "better".
    lol!!
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Quote Originally Posted by ken brydson View Post
    It's not all about thickness but quality counts as well. Can't believe I just said that....
    I see where *you* are coming from Ken.....

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Quote Originally Posted by 1312DN View Post
    when use a thick cable i find too much bass over bookshelfs so can blame to the wire or to the speaker .
    If bass is overly prominent, you can reduce it by repositioning the speakers. Moving them away from walls and corners out into the open will reduce bass and vice-versa when you move them in the opposite direction.
    Last edited by Glen B; 02-10-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Worst title ever.
    I have to respectfully disagree...

Quote Originally Posted by halo71 View Post
    Where can I buy black paint? Anyone know?
    over by the tree stumps (Redwood that is)

Quote Originally Posted by 1312DN View Post
    hello

i have a question, for wiring speakers a thicker wire for the speakers is better than thiiner speaker wires?

i have the question because i do not know if a thicker cable would ensure to me a better sound quality or more detail on music and movies or just do not matter if the wire is thicker or not.

best regards
    Frank
    Only if you are trying to impress someone. Educate yourself: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#reviewdares

Quote Originally Posted by pogo View Post
    Only if you are trying to impress someone. Educate yourself: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#reviewdares
    Buh bye now clown. Why are you even here?

Educate and Roger Russell used together in the same sentence? Come on now...really? lol
    --Gary--

Come on guys, he's obviously trying to start an obligatory "wire war"........ Must resist.........

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    Come on guys, he's obviously trying to start an obligatory "wire war"........ Must resist.........
    That's why I said Buh Bye. No fun in a battle of wits with an unarmed man....

That's why I said Buh Bye. No fun in a battle of wits with an unarmed man....
    Gotcha Ken. In the words of the the Storm Troopers on Star Wars........"Move Along......Move Along".........

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    Gotcha Ken. In the words of the the Storm Troopers on Star Wars........"Move Along......Move Along".........

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Educate yourself
    What a novel idea. So, when are you actually going to try some high quality cables for yourself???
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Just use 10 gauge. Or 12. That what I do. They look the best��

Rat Shack carries all you'll ever need. Don't worry, there won't be a rush for their stock... you don't have to run, just walk.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

They have started carrying some nice 12 guage but you can do better for $50 a roll of 50 feet

Rat Shack carries all you'll ever need. Don't worry, there won't be a rush for their stock... you don't have to run, just walk.
    I don't know about that. Recently, I heard the Radio shack is closing stores and, perhaps, going out of business.

Maybe you should grab whatever you want there while they're still in business.

I went to advance auto and picked up 100 foot of 12g for 20.00....is it any better? don't know

Quote Originally Posted by outofhand View Post
    I went to advance auto and picked up 100 foot of 12g for 20.00....is it any better? don't know
    You get what you pay for. Hope it works out for you...

You get what you pay for. Hope it works out for you...
    Thought this was cool. You can actually audition different interconnects and speaker wires, and decide in your home, with your equipment, whether or not the cost is justified. Surprised I hadn't seen this sooner.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57...nd-of-a-hi-fi/
    Home Theater- 5.1/DTS bliss-- Source: Sony BDP-S790; Pre/Pro: Golden Theater GTX-1; Amplifiers: Golden Theater GTA-1; Speakers: Main: RTi6's, Center: RTi6's, Surround: RTi12's, Sub: KSW-12Video: RCA Scenium rear projection 52" @ 1080i.

Thread Information