Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Don't forget it's all about the quality of the strokes, sorry strands of wire..lol

Quote Originally Posted by ken brydson View Post
    It's not all about thickness but quality counts as well. Can't believe I just said that....
    VTL Compact 100 mono blocks, Casta Acoustics Model A's, VTL 5.5 Preamp,Audio Note L3 Phono Stage with audio Note AN-S2 Step Up,HiDiamond H5 Speaker Cables,McCormack DNA 500 ,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT/Technics SL-1200Mk2,Ortofon Cadenza Red/

yes it definitely matters. The bigger gauge wire you have the more signal can transfer thru it. All wire technically will get the sound to the speakers but all wire will NOT sound the same. I've noticed that most enthusiasts on here use at least 16 gauge. But most go with, including me. 14 gauge wire.
    SAMSUNG LCD--52", 240hz
    Panamax 5300PM--Power Conditioner
    CSIa6--Center Channel
    RTIa3--Front High Channels
    FXIa6-- Rear Channels
    Sony--3-way Tower Speakers (20yrs old)
    DSW pro 500--Subwoofer
    PIONEER 1021-K--7.1 Reciever
    My Own Custom Audioquest 14/4--Speaker Cables
    Audioquest--Cinnamon HDMI Cables
    Sony--PS3

eventually i will own the RTIa9's but for now im using20 year old sony 3way towers.

STILL NEED:
    Pioneer Elite 7.1 Receiver with pre-outs
    Emotiva XPA-3 Amplifier

The heavier the gage, the less resistance you have. I use Furez 10g for my set up and very pleased with the results.
    Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce1971 View Post
    Thought this was cool. You can actually audition different interconnects and speaker wires, and decide in your home, with your equipment, whether or not the cost is justified. Surprised I hadn't seen this sooner.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57...nd-of-a-hi-fi/
    I had no idea we were looking for an improvement, I've only seen where people can't hear a difference, that's the only argument I've ever heard. $100000 improvement is what I want!!!

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by 1312DN View Post
    hello

i have a question, for wiring speakers a thicker wire for the speakers is better than thiiner speaker wires?

i have the question because i do not know if a thicker cable would ensure to me a better sound quality or more detail on music and movies or just do not matter if the wire is thicker or not.

best regards
    Frank
    Frank,
    There are some things to consider when buying speaker wire. Thicker isn't better or worse , it's correct or not. Just to start out you need a certain gauge of wire to send the signal a distance , ohms of the speaker and power of the amp all factor into this.
    Example:
    Lets say you have Polk speakers in the RTia series. They are rated at 8 ohms. You are running them with a 100 watt amp. Your speaker lives 10 feet away. And then IF you are running full range which most polks can't handle full range, your going to need 16 gauge wire based on copper. If you went Silver you could get away with 18 gauge. Going with 14 gauge wire in copper is fine at 10 feet , slightly overkill but won't cause excessive resistance as actually it will have less.
    If you have a more powerful amp, then heavier gauge wire will be needed. Wasting your money and time on super heavy gauge wire will not improve anything. Now quality is a totally different story.

I strongly suggest learning the AWG standard first , then moving onto quality. You got to get the gauge right first , once thats achieved , you can improve on sound quality with better quality materials.
    I also suggest using wire thats actually designed to do the job , not using any old kind of wire. Geometry of the conductors is so important to sending the signal correctly.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Lol!

Thread Information