Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 74
  1. #31

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    Hey thank DSKip, he really likes those Pioneers. Myself, I thought about a set in my bedroom but not enough space so the mini KEFs will stay. Anyway, I hope they work out for you.
    Thank you WLDock for the advice. I got them hooked up to the shelf system. Let me tell you, I'm hearing detail and clarity in my music I've never heard before. I hate to say this, but when it comes to music, these edge out my tsi series speakers in my HT setup. As for how loud they go, they're ever so slightly louder than the speakers that came with the unit..but they eclipse them in SQ :-). They aren't broken in yet, so they might go louder once/that happens :-). Speaking of that, any one know the break in period for these??
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

  2. #32

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    17,102

    Default

    Break in happens slowly over time, don't worry about it and just play them. BTW, you need to be aware of that volume dial, unless you like to keep buying speakers.

  3. #33

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Evergreen, CO
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    BTW, you need to be aware of that volume dial, unless you like to keep buying speakers.
    My advice was ignored. Maybe if it comes from a senior member...
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox One - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Philips Fidelio X1 |

  4. #34

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    My advice was ignored. Maybe if it comes from a senior member...
    I didn't ignore your advice Nightfall... :p. I actually took it into consideration. The thing is my volume is digital with a rotary knob lol. I figured that the 10 and 11 o'clock position would translate to 20 -25 on my volume...which I did:-). You can view the other posts on this thread to see why i did what I did if u like ;-). Thank you for your advice...it really did help :-).
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

  5. #35

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    What's the ohm rating of the speakers that came with the unit? And when you say 25 watts is that x 2 and at what impedance. Because 25 watts at 3 ohms is not going to be much at 8 ohms?

    The Pioneers are not as inefficient as those ratings might lead one to believe, I've run them at reasonable volumes on a Lepai T-amp that probably only puts out 7 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms or less. Yeah, they're not going to bring the house down but few speakers will do that on flea amps. If you want something like that you'll have to get some old school Klipsch horns, which will probably sound awful on your unit?




    cnh

    I take it you own a pair of those pioneers? I agree the sensitivity rating is a little misleading. I did notice that there is no minimum wattage rating. Does that mean they can run decent with "flea" amps??
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

  6. #36

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    235

    Default

    I just acquired a pair of "sort of vintage" Polk R40s from a friend of mine. They didn't pan out for what I got them for, but they sound remarkably similar to the pioneers. With the R40s being more efficient (90db), I'm going to do a comparison of the two. May the best speaker win ;-).
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

  7. #37

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    235

    Default

    I have to say that these R40s are not too shabby at all! I just did an A/B comparison with these and the pioneers got recently. Honestly, these polks, with this setup, outshined the pioneers IMO. Take the pioneers...then add better lows ( obviously...two 51/4 drivers vs. One 4 driver), and improved highs..more vivid and detailed. Most of all...they're significantly louder...while maintaining accuracy of sound. Sometimes newer deosnt mean better...these R 40s are proof of that. Not bad for being the entry-level series speaker ;-).
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

  8. #38

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    6,123

    Default

    I can say that those polks won't scale as well as the pioneers will on nicer gear. Glad you're having fun and enjoying your collection of gear.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

  9. #39

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    I can say that those polks won't scale as well as the pioneers will on nicer gear. Glad you're having fun and enjoying your collection of gear.
    It seems like the pioneers were kinda meant to be used with nicer gear...not really " budget" gear so to speak ;-). I guess for the heck of it I can see how they compare to my tsi100s in my HT setup...couldn't hurt lol.
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

  10. #40

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Well...I gotta give the R40s back. My other half didn't approve of them :-( . She liked the pioneers better because they don't have to be placed on the floor, so the pioneers are here to stay lol. Got some freed up space in my entertainment center...gunna setup my 2ch system there and see if/the new location will make a difference. Got a few locations to place the pioneers...see what happens.
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

  11. #41

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Just finished setting up the 2ch system. Placement DOES play a role in how speakers sound. These pioneers now are alive! Everything about them as improved...including how loud they play :). Now I see what the rave reviews on these are about :). Thanks for all of your advice!:)
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

  12. #42

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e
    Posts
    11,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by felipe View Post
    I take it you own a pair of those pioneers? I agree the sensitivity rating is a little misleading. I did notice that there is no minimum wattage rating. Does that mean they can run decent with "flea" amps??
    Quote Originally Posted by felipe View Post
    Just finished setting up the 2ch system. Placement DOES play a role in how speakers sound. These pioneers now are alive! Everything about them as improved...including how loud they play :). Now I see what the rave reviews on these are about :). Thanks for all of your advice!:)
    Glad everything worked out for you!

    And yes, I do own a pair of these. Bought them to see what the "reviews" were about because they NEVER impressed me at the BB. It's hard to DEMO anything there!

    I now use the Pioneers as a test system. In other words, I have them on an old vintage JVC receiver and a Sony CDP and I play any CDs I've recently bought on that system as background music so as to see which of the recently bought CDs I want to listen to more carefully.

    With a good SUB filling out the very bottom, you'll be pleased with the Pioneers.

    Enjoy!

    cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

  13. #43

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,309

    Default

    I wouldn't recommend them for a true fleapower amplifier - but that doesn't mean that, depending on music, room, and preferred listening level, that they might not be enjoyable with low-powered amplification.

    As a reference point, my daily driver amplifier is a single-ended ("class A") amp using a direct-heated triode vacuum tube called the 2A3 for output - this is good for about 3.5 watts per channel. For me, "fleapower" is really one watt or less.
    all the best,
    mrh

  14. #44

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    6,123

    Default

    Agreed Mr. H. As far as efficiency goes, I do feel it can be a tad misleading. Some speakers just shine on low power when they probably shouldn't, like my 6311's or the new LsiM series. Obviously I'm getting more out of my 845's, but it's still low enough to differentiate those who can and can't with low power.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

  15. #45

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e
    Posts
    11,778

    Default

    Good point, Mark. The Lepai does not qualify for your def. of fleapower and one should be careful with the volume, in any case. One reason I moved them to the JVC which is 35 watts x 2. More than enough for my purposes.

    I remember hearing a 8 watt x 2 tube amp a while back that had no problem driving some KLH 17s to room filling sound at decent db levels! So I can believe you use a 3.5 watter. I also know that what you're driving with that has an efficiency rating that is off the charts!

    cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 02-26-2014 at 07:50 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

  16. #46

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,309

    Default

    Not to nitpick ;-) but the quantity we're interested in here is sensitivity - which is typically expressed as speaker acoustic output (SPL, sound pressure level) in dB at some fixed measuring distance (typically 1 meter) for a given power input (typically 1 watt, which is 2.83 volts into 8 ohms). I do agree that the nominal sensitivity is, at best, a rough guide to what's really (IMO) the important parameter - how the speakers will sound driven by a given amplifier.

    In terms of SPL (loudness, if you will) - here's the thing: 90 dB is pretty darned loud. A speaker with, say a sensitivity of 83 dB SPL @ 1 meter for 1 watt input can be reasonably expected to produce... 83 dB at 1 meter with 1 watt in! :-) Doubling power adds 3 dB, so the same speaker will provide (more or less) 86 dB for 2 watts input, 89 dB for 4 watts input, etc. I kid you not, 89 dB is pretty loud. And the 1 dB difference from 89 to the aforementioned 90 dB is, most folks would agree, 'barely audible'.

    https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/


    http://www.etymotic.com/technology/ihp.html

    That said, how good that 89 dB will sound will depend on lots of things! I'll leave it at that, except to say that I am an empiricist - I like to try things and see what happens.

    As an extremely glib rule of thumb, simple speakers will generally fare better with low power amplifiers (all else being equal). So-called full-range speakers (a single driver with no electrical crossover components) will often be a very 'synergistic' load for a fleapower amplifer. The Japanese company Fostex, for example, specializes in the manufacture of such drivers and also offers come enclosure/system kits - see www.madisound.com.

    Another classic example is (and I think I mentioned these before) the vintage, classic EPI (Epicure Products, Inc.) model 100. This was a small two way, sealed box speaker of the 1970s that used an 8" woofer, a novel concave-dome "air spring" tweeter, and the simplest possible crossover (first order, just a capacitor, to the tweeter) - the woofer 'ran free. The EPI 100 was, and is a fine-sounding speaker that, even though it used the "acoustic suspension" enclosure design, would work well with even very low powered amplifiers.


    EPI 110C by mhardy6647, on Flickr

    ^^^ This is the extremely similar EPI 110C - essentially the same speaker in a slightly larger enclosure.

    ... and... don't try any of this with a pair of Magneplanars ;-)

    Coda:

    So... in my basement in the old house, I had a pair of Acoustic Research (original company) AR-3 loudspeakers (notoriously insensitive and power-hungry) driven by a ca. 10 watt per channel Maggotbox (Magnavox) console hifi amp (push-pull EL84 output tubes). Nearfield, with the kinds of music I like, I found the combination completely satisfactory. Most folks would not even try such a combination.


    EL84PPstereoconsole by mhardy6647, on Flickr

    (yes, these were the world's ugliest AR-3s!)

    EDIT: Yes, the sensitivity of my daily driver speakers is pretty much off the charts; ca. 104 dB @ 1 meter for 1 watt input :-)
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 02-26-2014 at 08:14 PM.
    all the best,
    mrh

  17. #47

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Glad everything worked out for you!

    And yes, I do own a pair of these. Bought them to see what the "reviews" were about because they NEVER impressed me at the BB. It's hard to DEMO anything there!

    I now use the Pioneers as a test system. In other words, I have them on an old vintage JVC receiver and a Sony CDP and I play any CDs I've recently bought on that system as background music so as to see which of the recently bought CDs I want to listen to more carefully.

    With a good SUB filling out the very bottom, you'll be pleased with the Pioneers.

    Enjoy!

    cnh
    +1 on that demoing at BB! Actually, these pioneers on their own have enough bottom end for me...surprisingly. These easily compete with the bottom end of my tsi100s. I'm thinking its placement...or maybe they're starting to really break in now ;-). I'm very pleased with these.
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

  18. #48

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    6,123

    Default

    I'm pleased to hear that. I really am.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

  19. #49

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Agreed Mr. H. As far as efficiency goes, I do feel it can be a tad misleading. Some speakers just shine on low power when they probably shouldn't, like my 6311's or the new LsiM series. Obviously I'm getting more out of my 845's, but it's still low enough to differentiate those who can and can't with low power.
    +1 on misleading efficiency ratings. I thought these pioneers (85db) wouldn't even get moving on my 25 watt/ch micro system. I was wrong;-)...it gets plenty loud for me.
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

  20. #50

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    Not to nitpick ;-) but the quantity we're interested in here is sensitivity - which is typically expressed as speaker acoustic output (SPL, sound pressure level) in dB at some fixed measuring distance (typically 1 meter) for a given power input (typically 1 watt, which is 2.83 volts into 8 ohms). I do agree that the nominal sensitivity is, at best, a rough guide to what's really (IMO) the important parameter - how the speakers will sound driven by a given amplifier.

    In terms of SPL (loudness, if you will) - here's the thing: 90 dB is pretty darned loud. A speaker with, say a sensitivity of 83 dB SPL @ 1 meter for 1 watt input can be reasonably expected to produce... 83 dB at 1 meter with 1 watt in! :-) Doubling power adds 3 dB, so the same speaker will provide (more or less) 86 dB for 2 watts input, 89 dB for 4 watts input, etc. I kid you not, 89 dB is pretty loud. And the 1 dB difference from 89 to the aforementioned 90 dB is, most folks would agree, 'barely audible'.

    https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/


    http://www.etymotic.com/technology/ihp.html

    That said, how good that 89 dB will sound will depend on lots of things! I'll leave it at that, except to say that I am an empiricist - I like to try things and see what happens.

    As an extremely glib rule of thumb, simple speakers will generally fare better with low power amplifiers (all else being equal). So-called full-range speakers (a single driver with no electrical crossover components) will often be a very 'synergistic' load for a fleapower amplifer. The Japanese company Fostex, for example, specializes in the manufacture of such drivers and also offers come enclosure/system kits - see www.madisound.com.

    Another classic example is (and I think I mentioned these before) the vintage, classic EPI (Epicure Products, Inc.) model 100. This was a small two way, sealed box speaker of the 1970s that used an 8" woofer, a novel concave-dome "air spring" tweeter, and the simplest possible crossover (first order, just a capacitor, to the tweeter) - the woofer 'ran free. The EPI 100 was, and is a fine-sounding speaker that, even though it used the "acoustic suspension" enclosure design, would work well with even very low powered amplifiers.


    EPI 110C by mhardy6647, on Flickr

    ^^^ This is the extremely similar EPI 110C - essentially the same speaker in a slightly larger enclosure.

    ... and... don't try any of this with a pair of Magneplanars ;-)

    Coda:

    So... in my basement in the old house, I had a pair of Acoustic Research (original company) AR-3 loudspeakers (notoriously insensitive and power-hungry) driven by a ca. 10 watt per channel Maggotbox (Magnavox) console hifi amp (push-pull EL84 output tubes). Nearfield, with the kinds of music I like, I found the combination completely satisfactory. Most folks would not even try such a combination.


    EL84PPstereoconsole by mhardy6647, on Flickr

    (yes, these were the world's ugliest AR-3s!)

    EDIT: Yes, the sensitivity of my daily driver speakers is pretty much off the charts; ca. 104 dB @ 1 meter for 1 watt input :-)
    Wooow! That's a ridiculous sensitivity rating! According to that chart, given my efficiency rating of 85db, at 16 watts the SPL of my system will reach 97db? That's pretty darn loud! Not bad for a low- powered setup ;-)
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

  21. #51

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,309

    Default

    Nominally, yes. Sixteen watts input could be expected to produce 97 dB SPL at a distance of 1 meter from one speaker of 85 dB sensitivity.... not necessarily from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, though... and it might not sound good doing it.
    all the best,
    mrh

  22. #52

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    Nominally, yes. Sixteen watts input could be expected to produce 97 dB SPL at a distance of 1 meter from one speaker of 85 dB sensitivity.... not necessarily from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, though... and it might not sound good doing it.
    Oh...I understand now lol. All in all, SQ IMO is what matters. I'd rather have clear good sound than loud not so good sound...but enough volume to get you moving tho lol ;-)
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

  23. #53

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,309

    Default

    As the musclecar guys like(d) to say, so is it also for loudspeaker systems:

    there's no replacement for displacement
    :-)


    DSC_8059 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
    all the best,
    mrh

  24. #54

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Galveston
    Posts
    3,214

    Default

    And depending on what you are listening to there are dips in that curve and rely on a little "headroom"

    MrH you have posted pics of that room a few times over the last couple years and I am still green w/envy....my gear would love it
    Last edited by txcoastal1; 02-26-2014 at 09:08 PM.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

  25. #55

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e
    Posts
    11,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    As the musclecar guys like(d) to say, so is it also for loudspeaker systems:



    :-)


    DSC_8059 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
    Sooner or later I'll get my ears on those! What a nice space. And a wonderful tutorial above. I hope I did not confuse anyone with my "poetic laxity", efficiency, sensitivity, etc. Remember what they say about "lumpers" and "splitters"?

    And outside of certain forums which must remain unnamed, not all watts are equal nor the amps that provide us with them. lol

    And now you have me curious as to what EPI 100s might sound like on the Lepai?

    cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 02-26-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

  26. #56

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Sooner or later I'll get my ears on those!
    You have a standing invitation :-)
    And now you have me curious as to what EPI 100s might sound like on the Lepai?

    cnh
    hmmm... a testable hypothesis ;-) I have a pair of 100Vs (the vinyl-covered, economy version) but I (still) need to refoam them - the 110Cs are good to go. I just have to find my Lepai in the post-move jumble in the basement!
    all the best,
    mrh

  27. #57

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e
    Posts
    11,778

    Default

    Many thanks, Mark. In the meantime we can compare notes. I'll put the Lepai on my 100Vs tomorrow and give them a whirl.

    Those T-amps are so small, it's tough to keep track of them. If they're not in service they're usually in a box of wires and such.

    cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

  28. #58

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    235

    Default

    +1 on getting my ear on those lol.
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

  29. #59

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Glad everything worked out for you!

    And yes, I do own a pair of these. Bought them to see what the "reviews" were about because they NEVER impressed me at the BB. It's hard to DEMO anything there!

    I now use the Pioneers as a test system. In other words, I have them on an old vintage JVC receiver and a Sony CDP and I play any CDs I've recently bought on that system as background music so as to see which of the recently bought CDs I want to listen to more carefully.

    With a good SUB filling out the very bottom, you'll be pleased with the Pioneers.

    Enjoy!

    cnh

    Since you own these as well, just curious as to why there is no minimum wattage rating? Would you know the reason? I'm just curious that's all ;-)
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

  30. #60

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,309

    Default

    felipe, if you get to New England... c'mon by! We can arrange a 'demo' :-)
    all the best,
    mrh

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. powered speakers for tv
    By deronb1 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 10:36 PM
  2. For Sale Audioengine A5 Powered Speakers
    By jwhitakr in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 04:11 PM
  3. Powered Speakers + external USB DAC for ~450
    By EndersShadow in forum Electronics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 09:32 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-14-2011, 10:59 PM
  5. powered tower setup - beginner help?!
    By robpass in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-26-2002, 11:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts