Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Schitt tube headphone amps

http://schiit.com/products/valhalla

Thinking hard on this one and adding one of there Dacs with it would this be a good choice, plus it would be my first venture with trying out tubes. Does anyone own one of these? I was also looking at Cary tube headphone amps but they are out of my budget. I've been looking for headphone amps all day, can't make up my mind

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Which headphones do you have? Those tubes work best with high impedance headphones, if you have efficient low impedance cans they're gonna sound like poo on that Valhalla...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Sennheiser 598 they are 50ohms if not this one any other tube amp you can recommend? I see you have the Lyr and 600's

I like the combination of the Audio GD-nfb5 with my 598's. I'll admit if you're wanting the most out of your phones this might not be a good route due to a lack of detail, but its very musical and makes you want to keep listening.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

How about the Vali with the Modi Dac it's still a tube amp from what I have read schiit makes some pretty good headphone amps.

That modi is horrible. Absolutely horrible.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

How about the Loki or the bitfrost then?

I'm not a good resource for those. I just know that the Modi ain't worth the dough. I couldn't send that thing back quick enough.

For some really good info on those dacs & amps and what headphones that work with them head over to the HEAD-FI forums at:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/

I've been reading their forums for many days straight now trying to get a better idea of the dacs and headphones & amps and which par up the best, I just bought a WOO WA3 headphone amp. but a lot of people there love those Schitt amps :)

check this article out http://www.head-fi.org/t/680880/holy...-149-meet-loki
    Last edited by voltz; 02-24-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I wouldn't spend too much on an amp with those 598s. They're a good headphone and probably the best full size anywhere around the $150 they typically sell for. You can find amps that work well with them, but they're typically amps that won't scale as well to better cans. And the better amps out there typically don't mate with those 598 very well.

What are you looking to get in terms of sound? There's not an amp on this planet that's going to get great detail out of those cans, it's just not there. Those headphones are a very smooth and laid back sound, and there's really no changing that.

In terms of Schiit, I personally like their gear and find it good at respective price points. That doesn't mean I like every piece, and also don't particularly care for their DACs as I find them a little lean sounding, but all of their amps are very good at their prices. That being said, there are better options if you want to spend more. For example, the Woo Audio WA3 is a much better sounding amp than the Valhalla, but at twice the price and that's BEFORE you get into the damn near mandatory tube upgrade to get the best sound out of it.

If you just have to go tubes, then check out the Vali as it's a tube hybrid design and those headphones fall within the range that amp is designed to drive. I've never heard it and wouldn't expect the world for $120, but that's where I would start.

If you're really wanting to build a great headphone rig then you need to start with better headphones, figure out what kind of sound you want and start with the headphones and then pick your amp accordingly.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (4)

once again- a trip to a head-fi meet will give a lot of exposure in a short time.
    IT takes a while to sort out who knows something, who doesn't, and who's
    selling something (shills) at head-fi. It's gotten pretty bad in the
    last couple of years. FOTM(flavor of the month) is common over there.
    At a meet, you'll be able to spot who's who pretty quickly.
    I haven' t kept up on some of the new gear like Schitt.
    The O2 amp and DAC offer up a good value for the buck,
    and work best with low Z cans. And you can DIY that set up and save a few $$.
    If nothing else, the head-fi for sale site can offer up reasonably priced
    gear so you can try a few things. I spend my time at meets listening to
    $$$$$ gear I'll never afford. I'm ready to DIY a new amp, just a matter of
    which one.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

I just ordered the Schiit Asgard 2 for use with my 24ohm headphones. I'll post up some impressions soon, it should be arriving later this week. http://schiit.com/products/asgard-2
    Bedroom 2 channel: NAD C316BEE, Marantz cd6004, Polk Audio TSi100, Audioquest Bedrock & King Cobra
    HT: Onkyo HT-RC360, Athena Micra 6

I've got the Sony MDR1R's real easy to drive headphones, so easy my iPhone gets em nice n loud without much trouble. Even the headphone output on my CDP can drive them incredibly well.

gud, if i was you I'd try to find some place closeby that sells headphone amps and at least do some auditioning, I tried some headphone amps with my cans and honestly, they didn't do much.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Sennheisers are not that difficult to drive. Even the HD600s sound OK on less than desirable sources and amplification. And they're 300 ohms. They're easier to power than either the Q701s or the DT990s (250) ohm. WAY EASIER. But, they DO sound better with a decent headphone amp.

Those Schiit amps are pretty good. But with Assimilated, I wouldn't bother with the DAC units.

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Thread Information