Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Cerwin vega D9 vs Polk SDA 2B

Hello to all, I guess Im the new kid block!
    I currently own a pair of Cerwin Vega D9's, which I have been the original owner since 1988. They have and still perform great! Horns have been replaced, woofers refoamed.

I still like to crank up the tunes and enjoy listiening to my music moderate to loud. Though my taste have changed over the years, I still listen to metal, hard and classic rock, also jazz and blues.

I am concidering a pair of SDA 2B's to replace my D9's. These speakers have had the tweeters updated from the SL2000 to the SL3000 and come with the interconnect cable.

If there are any owers of the SDA 2B that may share the same musical taste, I would appreciate your opinion and advise before making my decission to trade my D9's.

Thanks.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

It would be major upgrade from what you have now, IMO.

These speakers have had the tweeters updated from the SL2000 to the SL3000
    Have the crossovers been modded for use with the SL3000?

What are you using for gear?
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (1)

My standard answer has always been if you like CVs sound, you won't like Polk's, but that is simply due to the totally opposite design goals of the speakers. CV has always been about loud, in your face horn driven highs with very efficient cabinets that pump bloated bass very easily with very little power.

Polk's SDA design has always been a lot more controlled/balanced sound with dome tweeters that are easier on your ears, bass that is tightly controlled with passive bass radiators that are less efficient, require a good amp design and produce a great soundstage through SDA technology.

They are basically total opposite by design.....I recall this being East coast vs West coast sound.

The only reservations about my statement above is that it is about CV speakers in general, and the D9s are touted as one of CV's best speakers ever made, so without personal experience with D9s, I will stand by my general statements, but defer to someone that has actual experience with the 9s.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

We started carrying CVs in the mid 80s. They are very efficient, play loud , have pretty colors,go boom boom and were a pretty good value for what you got The SDA 2Bs are in a different league and TLd even better. The above post mentioned different. That is also very true

I owned CVs (not the D9's although I've heard them... I had VS-150s) for longer than I owned Polks. I loved the bass on those for the kind of music I liked then and on the kind of equipment I ran them on. I had friends with KEF and Polks and I still preferred the CVs back then. Of course, my friends had the Polk and KEF equivalent of the VS-150s... not speakers that have stood the test of time the way the 2B's have.

I have 2B's now with the similar tweeter upgrade, and I know for sure I never would have had the same experience with any of the music I listen to now with the CVs. There's just no way they CVs could compete with the upgraded 2Bs in the mids and highs, IMO. However, my personal feeling is that the stock 2Bs can't compete with the CVs in low bass.

That being said, tonight I was giving the 2Bs a serious audition after having made some modifications that are getting to be popular, replacing the inductors for the dimensional drivers with new ones that have a lower DCR. I was listening to the latest NIN album, which has some tracks that will seriously let you know where your low vs mid bass is at, and I was very close to getting just what I want out of them. I don't still own the CVs but from memory the low bass on the 2Bs is still not quite as well controlled, but the mid-bass and up are at a completely different level. I just can't imagine the VS-150s ever getting to that level of detail.

Could you manage to run them both side by side for a couple of days? If not, pretty much your call on how much a bass fan you are. For me... with the NIN it's a toss up, but I listen to more blues and jazz lately, and for that the 2Bs win hands down all day every day and twice on Sunday.

If you really like the CV's you may not like the Polks. They are COMPLETELY different! I personally feel the 2B is one of the best speakers I have heard. Not competely the best but I am a huge SDA fan and they are the best SDA's IMO. Even better than their big brothers. But they sound NOTHING like a CV. Unless your tastes are changeing and you are looking for more refined, balanced, detailed music stick with what you know you like.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS, 1.2TL, Atrium.

I am currently using a Sony STR-DB940 reciever for my surround sound and use it's pre amp output for music. I use a Sansui B2102 power amp to drive my fronts, rated at 200 watts per channel at 0.003% THD into 8 ohms. For surround and music I also use a powered sub, Acoustc Profiles PSL-SUB10.

Im sure that the sub can compensate the low end if required when using the SDA's. Would love to keep the D9's and the SDA's, but unfortunately it's not an option. I will be giving the Polk's a listen this weekend before trading. Not an easy decision for me.

I will post a review after listening and comparing them both. Thanks for the replies.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I bought(new) and owned CV D7's for 25yrs even took out the horn tweeters and replaced with peerless silk domes to tame them a little. I loved them for many years, but one day I seen Polk SDA in our local paper for 100.00. I went to look and they were SDA2A's. I took them home and compared to my Cerwin Vegas yep the CV's were LOUD and went BOOM but the articulation of the SDA's just blew me away I heard stuff in the recording's I had never heard before. My pair of SDA's had a bad poly switch and therefore would snap the tweeter before it ever got loud. I got on here and these guys gave me all the help I needed to completely recap my crossovers got rid of the poly switch for a resistor and I NEVER looked back. Gave the CV's to a friend who always wanted them. You'll need a good common ground amp to run them the way they need to be fed BUT you will hear more of the music you have been missing. Less but better bass if that makes any sense and yes the can dig deep and energize a room.

I never heard the CVs but if interested in the Polks you must pay attention to details. Like using the i/c cable which can be limiting in some cases, must be front facing w/ no toe in or out,a spred probably no wider than 9', needs a good powerful common gnd amp.Most say 200wpc as the general rule, and decent speaker cable 14gu or lower. If you have stock 2Bs there are plenty of mods to bring them into the 21st century and they will last for 20 more years. If your house topography can't do the Polks right then they are not for you. Also as you will no doubt hear that avrs can not compete w/ power amps and most are advised to at the very least get an avr w/ pre outs so you can add an amp later on. You like bass heavy metal then CVs it is but if you want to hear the strainer on a snare drum snap or instruments you never heard before on recordings you've heard a million times then Polks do that.
    2chl- Adcom 555- NAD 1020a pre- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Samson - 9 outlet- Niles - 6 zone spkr selector- DCM TF 350s- ADC 303ax- KLH 331- Polk Audio '87 SDA 2Bs w/ ic cable (Dynamat extreme, black hole-5- Mills 0.5 resistor, liquid nails, RDO- 194 tweeters, Larry's rings, Armaflex gaskets, stained walnut tops )

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #500HD Speaker set- Sony ce 375 5 disc carosel cdp-

Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL J2060

Member Sales Rating: (45)

I had the D9's and they are a great speaker. Very different from the polk's, but better than most CV speakers. I suggest trying both and selling the pair you like the least.

Ya, those Cerwin Vega's are totally opposite of the Polk Audio sound. Much more of a loud party speaker.

It's funny I still use my CV-417r main speakers in my HT setup,I bought them new in 78',have rebuilt them and they sound great still,I keep trying to replace them but they are very rare and sound fantastic,they are matched with polk center,subs and surrounds.

Thread Information