Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Polk LSiM705 vs other floorstanding speakers near or under 2.5k

Hi!

Iím looking for some input concerning the overall quality of some of these speakers (2 ch. stereo : 80 music/20 movies). My budget is around the 2k/2.5k CAD, I prefer a new speaker as I want to be able to demo it in my room, and also because I canít find anything interesting on Canucks Audio Mart right now (at least, within my taste and budget).

Here is what I could get:

Bigger 3 way tower speakers :
    - Polk LSiM705 (2400$, maybe less... would probably wait for them to go near the 2k mark)
    - B&W CM8 (2400$)
    - Focal Chorus 726 (2000$)

Smaller tower speakers like:
    - Totem Sttaf (2100$)
    - Vienna Acoustic Bach Grand (1700$)
    - Focal Chorus 716 (1700$)

Thing is smaller towers might not cut it as my living room will be kinda large (11x14 ft with some rear and side walls, but this is within a 450 sq ft open floor with the kitchen and dining room). Iím kinda tired of the tiny sound my LSi7 produce in such a large and sub optimal room. I liked them in my old living room, but now, I wish they were bigger. Small towers could be better, but still, they would most probably probably need a sub.

Iím not sure I want to go with bookshelf speakers as I would need some sturdy stands (200-300$ or more?) and a good subwoofer, which would roughly cost the same than bigger tower speakers. Plus, I do prefer the look of a tower, and I might not want to mess around with subwoofer placement.

Anyways, Iíve heard the LSiM705 in a less than optimal room (read Futureshop/Bestbuy kind of shop with no dedicated listening area). The room was a 15 ft x 15 ft area within the store with little to no walls except behind the speakers. The speakers were to able to give better bass, imaging and overall sound than my LSi7 do, but yeah, these are towers that cost 5 times as much as my little bookshelf speakers, so this is expected.

However, I was disappointed by the Midnight Mahogany finish: I thought it was brownish/purple, not completely dark with a very slight hint of purpleÖ but the sound quality kinda made up for it. I was amazed, to say the least, and these were driven by a 50w per channel Marantz NR1604. I even tried the LSiM703 and they sounded incredible in less than stellar position (on a metal shelf and not in a dedicated room). So yeah, I have the LSiM705 as my benchmark now. I could also try them at home for 30 days and send them back if Iím not happy with them, thing I couldnít do with others brands because they could only be bought from smaller shops with no return policy.

Anyways, there is not a lot of dealers around here and choice is somewhat limited. I would like to try the KEF offering in this price range, but there is no dealer around that carries this line, at least, not that I know of.

How do the Polk LSiM705 compare in term of built quality and overall sound quality to the rest of my small list? Considering that they are built in China, they must be a ďbetterĒ deal in term of drivers quality, right? They are by far the heaviest in the group, too.

Thanks a lot!
    Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM705
    Integrated amplifier: NAD C326BEE
    Source : HTPC Using JRiver Media Center
    DAC: Musical Fidelity V-DAC (S/PDIF)

The Usher 6311 should make that list of floorstanders, even perhaps their new N-series (which is essentially the CP-6 series). You have some dealers in Canada, though I don't remember where. Get your ears on them first (as well as everything else on that list) as they all sound quite different than the LSi7.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Thanks for the suggestion, very nice looking speaker indeed. From what I can see on the Usher Audio canadian website (Audioscape), there might be a dealer near. Guess I'll have to call them.

I've seen a pair of demo Dynaudio Excite X32 with some surface scratch for 1800$. However, these are less sensible (87dB) and 4 ohm speakers that might requires more power than what my poor NAD has to offer.
    Last edited by pyrocyborg; 03-01-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Thing is smaller towers might not cut it as my living room will be kinda large (11x14 ft with some rear and side walls, but this is within a 450 sq ft open floor with the kitchen and dining room).
    Not sure how open it is, but 11x14 is a small room. Anyway, you say the sound doesn't fill the area as it did in another house. I'd say the problem is more a lack of power than the size of the speaker, so I'd suggest upgrading that first, then see where you are. That said, the 703/705's are much better speakers than the LSi7's.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I was not really impressed with LSi7's that I had. For 2k you could get a very nice set up that would sound awesome. Maybe a used Tube integrated and some SDA's??? Or whatever. Used Vintage speakers can be found so cheap and you can always recap etc. I was listening to a pair of Kef 107/2's last night that were absolutely amazing. So many possibilities. You are so lucky!!
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Not sure how open it is, but 11x14 is a small room. Anyway, you say the sound doesn't fill the area as it did in another house. I'd say the problem is more a lack of power than the size of the speaker, so I'd suggest upgrading that first, then see where you are. That said, the 703/705's are much better speakers than the LSi7's.
    Well, I wasn't clear, but that 11x14 "area" will be in my next apartment (few months from now).

Right now, I'm in an L shaped open floor which serves as a living room/dinning room and communicates with other rooms (roughly, this area is about 400-450 sq ft). The speakers have to fill the entire room, which is almost impossible for speakers that size without increasing the volume. I mean, my NAD has absolutely no problem driving the LSi7 at uncomfortable level, but the shape of the room, and the position of the speakers in that room aren't optimal: thus, at high volume, they still sound thin and lack deep bass where they sound great in a small 11x13 closed room (with 4 walls and a door!). I can't feel the sound surrounding me the way it does in smaller rooms. Maybe it's the room fault, I don't know...

I don't think giving them more power and thus, a 3 db or 6 db increase in volume, would help them as I prefer to keep the volume down.

Here is a floor plan of my next apartment. The speakers will be positioned in the 11x14 "area". Still, there is no wall and it opens directly to the dinning room and kitchen. I don't think that the sound will be limited to the 11x14 area. That's why I can't consider it a small area, but probably more like a moderate size room.

Here again, I have no idea of how it would sound in there. Sure thing, if they sound great where I am at the moment, they probably will sound better in the next one.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by pyrocyborg; 03-01-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rromeo923 View Post
    I was not really impressed with LSi7's that I had. For 2k you could get a very nice set up that would sound awesome. Maybe a used Tube integrated and some SDA's??? Or whatever. Used Vintage speakers can be found so cheap and you can always recap etc. I was listening to a pair of Kef 107/2's last night that were absolutely amazing. So many possibilities. You are so lucky!!
    Well, for my part, I like my LSi7 but there are more of a small study or office kind of speakers. On speaker stands, they sound detailed enough and can fill that small area. However, in a room larger than 200 sq ft, they simply won't cut it IMO. Did great with a subwoofer in small to moderate sized living room, but right now, such a small box can't fill that much space at low to moderate volume. I understand, however, that not everyone loves them. They're kind of a laidback pair of speakers, detailed, but really not "in your face".

As for my budget, if I could go lower, I would... However, I want to go a step up from the LSi in terms of overall quality so it definitely means more money.

I don't think I could get new electronics. I prefer to stick with what I have right now. As for the SDA, I bet they sound incredible for the price, but they probably wouldn't be a welcome sight in my living room: WAF. And yeah, I need something stylish, piano black or quality wood finish. Anyways, there are no SDA around here... :P
    Last edited by pyrocyborg; 03-01-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Ok, I gotcha now. Being that you are moving soon I'd just wait until then to do anything. That said, those 705's are damn nice sounding speakers that should work well in either residence. I still think you need more power tho. :)

BTW, I don't think SDA's would be a good idea in your new place.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Have you thought about PSB speakers? Being a Canadian company, they should be easy to find near you.

I have not heard their totl speakers but I know they get great reviews and people swear by them.
    I own a pair of the original PSB Stratus model and love them.
    I can only imagine how nice the totl model is.

I've heard good things about the PSB Imagine T as well. Other Canadian options would be Totem and Paradigm. Both have solid options in your price range. I think those Focal Chorus towers would be outclassed (not even close) by the other options you listed. Their higher end stuff is very good though.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player

I don't care for PSB personally, but I can give a thumbs up for Totem. You'll need some watts behind the Totems to open them up though. FWIW, I'd probably take the 705 over the Totem due to a fuller sound.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Woah thanks for your answers! ;)

PSB is a nice idea, but I can't find anywhere near that carries the Imagine line. They all carry the Image, but that's about all.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut
    That said, those 705's are damn nice sounding speakers that should work well in either residence. I still think you need more power tho. :)
    Yeah, more power, the better? ;)

I'm sure it probably will sound better with a beefier amp, but considering that I will probably never drive them near clipping level on my NAD, I'll try my next speakers with what I have right now. Probably won't sound at their best, but might still be better than with the 7.1 receiver they used in the "showroom".

I mean, as I said, on my LSi7 (88 dB sensitivity if I recall well), my 50w NAD can drive them properly using a small amount of power (e.g. considering "off" is at 7 o'clock; I can get to very high volume at 11 o'clock). However, I'm only 9 feet away from my speakers, so that might help.

I guess you're right that I should wait and make my demoing in that particular room. It's just that I would like to have speakers that could fill the entire listening area. ;)

The 705's aren't terribly power hungry and the NAD will get you by, at LSAF Russ ran the 705's on a single ended integrated.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ight=lsaf+2012

If you are running dual duty HT more power definitely recommended.

But take your time big purchases earn as much evaluation as possible.

Good luck w/your search

Cheers
    Ron
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

I'm sure it probably will sound better with a beefier amp, but considering that I will probably never drive them near clipping level on my NAD
    Sure a more powerful amp will allow higher volume levels, but it would also make the speakers sound better at low volume levels. That fact escapes a lot of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by rromeo923 View Post
    Used Vintage speakers can be found so cheap and you can always recap etc. I was listening to a pair of Kef 107/2's last night that were absolutely amazing. So many possibilities. You are so lucky!!
    I remember in the early 90's I was buying some car audio gear from a guy. As soon as I walked in his place I saw that he had 107's set up powered by a couple Denon monoblocks and a Nakamichi source. I asked for a demo and he put on the Dave Brubeck Quartet, "Take 5" cut. Being a jazz drummer myself I was floored by the overall presentation and how detailed and real the drums sounded. That was the first time I heard that track where the drums actually had weight! I haven't heard the old Kef's since...but would love to!
    ..and the used market is filled with these gems if one is lucky to find a pair in their area:
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

New ones? 705's are hard to beat...as long as your source has plenty of headroom...

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Just my .02, but if your going to move up to towers, your asking a lot of that Nad to fill the room with sound as you put it. Right tools for the right job and all that ya know.

Not sure how loud you can crank it being in an apartment, but any amp isn't going to deliver it's rated power at lower volumes. You solution to fill the room with sound....in an apartment, may be multiple smaller speakers playing in all channel stereo that are efficient enough to use lower powered electronics. Just a thought is all.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrocyborg View Post
    ...I'm sure it probably will sound better with a beefier amp, but considering that I will probably never drive them near clipping level on my NAD, I'll try my next speakers with what I have right now. Probably won't sound at their best, but might still be better than with the 7.1 receiver they used in the "showroom".

I mean, as I said, on my LSi7 (88 dB sensitivity if I recall well), my 50w NAD can drive them properly using a small amount of power (e.g. considering "off" is at 7 o'clock; I can get to very high volume at 11 o'clock). However, I'm only 9 feet away from my speakers, so that might help.

I guess you're right that I should wait and make my demoing in that particular room. It's just that I would like to have speakers that could fill the entire listening area. ;)
    The purpose of getting a powerful amp is not about volume, its about making sure that your speakers have the power to operate to their full potential at ALL volume levels. This was the biggest most pleasant surprise that I got when I got the Parasound 1500A and put them on my RTA-8Ts. I picked up on things in the music I never heard before even when I cranked the volume. Loudness does not equal clarity. I no longer had to increase the volume at 6 in the morning and still could hear every detail of my music.

I passed the Parasound onto my brother to drive his LSI 7s, it made a huge difference over my old 50wpc Rotel that he was using. One of the biggest differences was the amp stayed comfortably warm rather than fry an egg hot that the Rotel got!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

There's a pair of Wharfedale Opus 2-2s on ebay. They've been sitting there forever. New in box, at a price far below their previous asking price. Crazy good midrange and nice bass weight. They're in the piano birdseye maple.

Hi!

I sold my LSi7 and I'm looking for a pair of tower speakers.

I tried to find some PSB Imagine Towers, but sadly, there are no PSB dealers within 300 km that carries that line...

A dealer is selling some Focal Chorus 836 V at discounted price ($2000 here), but I wonder how good they are compared to the 736... and here again, I guess I would need a powerful amp to drive them. Sure thing, I could try Totem too, but their larger speakers are out of my budget... I must keep some money to buy a bigger amp in the near future. :P

I'm still waiting for the LSiM705 to be on sale again (near the $2000 price point), but it seems to happen once a year in Canada... lol.

Any other ideas? Thanks a lot!

Usher N-6311 or original 6311. Easy as hell to drive and is only limited by the gear behind it. I personally think Totem is priced a bit high but they are good speakers. PSB does nothing for me... I've not spent much time with Focal even though I've wanted to, so I can't comment on them.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

IMO. Focal towers do not pull away from the pack until you're in the $4K plus a pair category or even higher! So I'd think the Polks might be a top pick below that!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I love my LSiM 703s and have nothing but positive thoughts on the LSiM series, but given the wattage of your NAD integrated, I would also consider these:http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/omen-1b, or these: http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/soul. A little power goes a long way with them and they sound great! I tried older NAD power envelope 2400 and 2600 amps with my ZU Omens and it was a great match. ZU ships the speakers directly to you and offers a 30 day no questions asked refund if you are not completely happy. If you want a really good deal check out the Omen Dirty Weekends (new cabinets with used drivers that were traded in for the new nano driver upgrade) that can be had for $1000 US and have a full warranty and guarantee. Just contact ZU direct about them, they have some available right now.
    Last edited by Dawgfish; 04-18-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    I don't care for PSB personally, but I can give a thumbs up for Totem. You'll need some watts behind the Totems to open them up though. FWIW, I'd probably take the 705 over the Totem due to a fuller sound.
    I've owned the flagship PSB Synchrony's and am now rocking' the Totem Hawks. I much prefer the PSB house sound.

To the OP, be sure to look into PSB!

Listen to the DawgFish. Get the 703's. Best bang for the buck and better in a smaller room...

Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote

Quote Originally Posted by Midnite Mick View Post
    Great price on those....definitely worth a look see.

Thread Information