Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Good speakers for low powered 2 ch setup

Hello everyone. Tying to find a good sounding pair of speakers to go with my low-powered ( 25 watts per channel ) shelf system. The speakers that came with it are decent, but I'm looking for a lil more volume. I think the speakers that came with it have a low sensitivity ( 80-85 ), could account for the not too loud volume capability. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

Do you have a budget in mind
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Anything interesting on your local Craigslist?

My budget...no more than 200, prefer to go less. Local craigslist...found some polk t15s from 50 to 80 bucks...thats it so far.
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

EPI 100 (see www.humanspeakers.com for information on the EPI, Epicure, and Genesis speakers of the 1970s through 1990s).

There was this company called "Polk Audio" that made some nice bookshelf/floorstanding speakers called the Monitor Series - back in the 1970s -that were used with great success on good 25 wpc amplifiers and receivers of the time :-)
    all the best,
    mrh

Try Ebay and or Amazon, some used and resellers

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    ...There was this company called "Polk Audio" that made some nice bookshelf/floorstanding speakers called the Monitor Series - back in the 1970s -that were used with great success on good 25 wpc amplifiers and receivers of the time :-)
    lol yes, this. Look for some Monitor 5's, or even 7's depending on how much space you have.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Member Sales Rating: (2)

...my thoughts exactly... or even the original Monitor 4, with Peerless silk dome tweeters; dandy little loudspeakers.

Another good sounding, inexpensive, and adequately sensitive speaker for a small amp/receiver from the same era was the Acoustic Research AR-18. This basic, simple two-way acoustic suspension speaker (a direct lineal descendant of the AR-7) was made in several versions for many years.
    all the best,
    mrh

oh yeah...I forgot to mention how much space lol..sorry bout that. The set up is on a tabletop. I got about 7 inches of width space, and about 11.5 inches of depth space. This space is on both sides of the main unit. The polk t15s on saw on CL, as of rite now, fit the space I have. Also, even though out of my budget, the Cambridge audio sx-50 bookshelf speaker also fits. Any comments on these?

Get these on sale, roughly $50 cheaper if you wait.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/4-booksh...9#tab=overview
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Polk's official ebay site has RTi4s for $175 (pr)

I started with these for my HT system - what a nice gem of a speaker - still have a pair for the surrounds.

They would sound very nice for a low powered system.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Get these on sale, roughly $50 cheaper if you wait.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/4-booksh...9#tab=overview
    I was looking at those. They got good reviews. My question is, given their sensitivity rating of 85db, I'm thinking they won't play that much louder, if any louder at all than the speakers that came with the shelf system. But I'm sure they will sound better tho ;-).

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post
    Polk's official ebay site has RTi4s for $175 (pr)

I started with these for my HT system - what a nice gem of a speaker - still have a pair for the surrounds.

They would sound very nice for a low powered system.

Actually someone locally is selling a pair of those in their home theater package on CL in my area. Would my low-powered shelf system adequately power those? They are awesome speakers tho :-).

Klipsch and Bic America are uber efficient. Both make smaller bookshelf type speakers. If you are ok with horn tweets, might do the job
    It's better to burn out, than poop your pants

CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Marantz CD5001, [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by deronb1 View Post
    Klipsch and Bic America are uber efficient. Both make smaller bookshelf type speakers. If you are ok with horn tweets, might do the job
    I just looked at those brands. Both are good as well...uber efficient as you put it. Unfortunately, space is my enemy. Never heard the horn style tweets..some people regard their sound to be harsh...I don't do harsh lol.

The pioneer are 6ohm and only drop to 55hz so it should not be a problem at 87db
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

What speakers do you have currently?
    If they are decent, spend that money on a more powerful receiver/amp.

Boston A400,VR950, DefTech BP10,, Klipsch Forte,KSP-400,KSF-C5,RF3,RC3.
    JBL L20t,L80t3, EPI 20+,T/E 280, Polk 4,4.5,5A,7C, KEF Coda III, Yamaha NS-690, Genesis 3+.
    SUB:Deftech PF15TL+, DCM TB1010, Velodyne VA08BVX10. Pre: HK AP2500. Amps: BB175, Adcom GFA-535,555II, Rotel RB-990BX.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by felipe View Post
    I was looking at those. They got good reviews. My question is, given their sensitivity rating of 85db, I'm thinking they won't play that much louder, if any louder at all than the speakers that came with the shelf system. But I'm sure they will sound better tho ;-).

What's the ohm rating of the speakers that came with the unit? And when you say 25 watts is that x 2 and at what impedance. Because 25 watts at 3 ohms is not going to be much at 8 ohms?

The Pioneers are not as inefficient as those ratings might lead one to believe, I've run them at reasonable volumes on a Lepai T-amp that probably only puts out 7 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms or less. Yeah, they're not going to bring the house down but few speakers will do that on flea amps. If you want something like that you'll have to get some old school Klipsch horns, which will probably sound awful on your unit?

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    What speakers do you have currently?
    If they are decent, spend that money on a more powerful receiver/amp.
    I'm currently using the speakers it came with...they're OK at low to mid volume levels, but start to harshen up pass mid volume.

I'm currently using the speakers it came with...they're OK at low to mid volume levels, but start to harshen up pass mid volume.
    This is because you're running out of power, not the speakers, you're pushing it too hard. Max volume should be 10-11 o'clock, not beyond 12 o'clock.
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox One - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Philips Fidelio X1 |

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    What's the ohm rating of the speakers that came with the unit? And when you say 25 watts is that x 2 and at what impedance. Because 25 watts at 3 ohms is not going to be much at 8 ohms?

The Pioneers are not as inefficient as those ratings might lead one to believe, I've run them at reasonable volumes on a Lepai T-amp that probably only puts out 7 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms or less. Yeah, they're not going to bring the house down but few speakers will do that on flea amps. If you want something like that you'll have to get some old school Klipsch horns, which will probably sound awful on your unit?

cnh

The impedance of the speakers that came with the unit are 6 ohms. Its 25 watts x 2 at 6 ohms. So, impedance wise, the pioneers are the better choice?

which stereo receiver are you using? is it an older solid state model? I have an old Realistic STA-84 that's rated at 25w/ch and it trounces newer receivers I've had with supposedly better specs.

those little T15's look pretty nice, and a front port meshes with your space requirement. have you turned up any info to say how they sound with music? Personally, imho, I don't like RTi speakers for music as they're a little too crisp for my ear, but with a fat enough receiver (older solid state) and a little tone control magic they can sound okay.

maybe keep an eye out for someone selling a cheap little 8" subwoofer with high level inputs and you could have a nice little full sounding system there if you can stash the sub under your listening table.

as an aside, I've always been curious to try the Polk TSi200's - dual 5-1/4 drivers, but they're a little wide and deep for your space at 8" x 11-3/4", and port to the rear, so they'd need a little more depth, but I'm throwing this out there anyway. $200 on the Polk Ebay store. should provide a nice full little sound the dual drivers
    http://www.polkaudio.com/products/tsi200

Here's a list of bookshelf speakers available through Polk's Ebay store.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-Di...=p4634.c0.m322
    Last edited by msg; 02-19-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    - msg

Quote Originally Posted by msg View Post
    which stereo receiver are you using? is it an older solid state model? I have an old Realistic STA-84 that's rated at 25w/ch and it trounces newer receivers I've had with supposedly better specs.

those little T15's look pretty nice, and a front port meshes with your space requirement. have you turned up any info to say how they sound with music? Personally, imho, I don't like RTi speakers for music as they're a little too crisp for my ear, but with a fat enough receiver (older solid state) and a little tone control magic they can sound okay.

maybe keep an eye out for someone selling a cheap little 8" subwoofer with high level inputs and you could have a nice little full sounding system there if you can stash the sub under your listening table.

as an aside, I've always been curious to try the Polk TSi200's - dual 5-1/4 drivers, but they're a little wide and deep for your space at 8" x 11-3/4", and port to the rear, so they'd need a little more depth, but I'm throwing this out there anyway. $200 on the Polk Ebay store. should provide a nice full little sound the dual drivers
    http://www.polkaudio.com/products/tsi200

Here's a list of bookshelf speakers available through Polk's Ebay store.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-Di...=p4634.c0.m322

I'm using a Sony bookshelf stereo system...not using components lol. Its utilizing a s-master digital amp rated at 25 watts per channel at 6 ohms. Just to be curious, I hooked up my front mains from my ht setup to it..and surprisingly it drove those pretty well..didn't get harsh sounding at the same volume as the speakers that came with it. So, judging from that, I think the amp is pretty good.

If you have a Best Buy near by, take the given advice and go listen to the Pioneers. Yeah, there is a lot of great talk and reviews..but do yourself a favor and go listen to them.

As far as you wanting to get a significant jump in volume using the same 25 watt per channel amp....the only thing that will do that is speakers using driver that have 94dB, 100dB sensitivity . These type system are often used by guys that have low watt tube amps but want output. With the right combo that sound is not harsh but extended and detailed. Again, you have to hear it for yourself....and not ALL speakers are for EVERYONE!

Not really a recommendation...but here is a fun kit of what I am talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkDki019l4U
    http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=53.0
    http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...arma8-kit.html
    Last edited by WLDock; 02-19-2014 at 11:48 AM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

I'm using a Sony bookshelf stereo system...not using components lol. Its utilizing a s-master digital amp rated at 25 watts per channel at 6 ohms. Just to be curious, I hooked up my front mains from my ht setup to it..and surprisingly it drove those pretty well..didn't get harsh sounding at the same volume as the speakers that came with it. So, judging from that, I think the amp is pretty good.
    I was meaning, which model specifically. I was gonna look it up to see. so if it's rated at 25wpc at 6ohms it will deliver less power with 8ohm speakers. I don't know what the math is for this unfortunately. I think it's just a rule of thumb anyway. it's easy to get caught up in specs, but ultimately it all depends on how it sounds to you, which you can't get from numbers.
    what kind/size/specs were the front mains from your ht setup? sounds like a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    As far as you wanting to get a significant jump in volume using the same 25 watt per channel amp....the only thing that will do that is speakers using driver that have 94dB, 100dB sensitivity . These type system are often used by guys that have low watt tube amps but want output. With the right combo that sound is not harsh but extended and detailed. Again, you have to hear it for yourself....and not ALL speakers are for EVERYONE!

wow, that's a pretty cool kit!
    - msg

Quote Originally Posted by msg View Post
    I was meaning, which model specifically. I was gonna look it up to see. so if it's rated at 25wpc at 6ohms it will deliver less power with 8ohm speakers. I don't know what the math is for this unfortunately. I think it's just a rule of thumb anyway. it's easy to get caught up in specs, but ultimately it all depends on how it sounds to you, which you can't get from numbers.
    what kind/size/specs were the front mains from your ht setup? sounds like a good sign.

wow, that's a pretty cool kit!
    Its the Sony CMT SBT100. I got it because its compact, has bluetooth, USB, and a CD player in one package. It got fairly good reviews, so thats why i purchased it. Also, its power efficient (35 watts) during use. Dony have to power up my HT Equipment just to listen to music lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    If you have a Best Buy near by, take the given advice and go listen to the Pioneers. Yeah, there is a lot of great talk and reviews..but do yourself a favor and go listen to them.

I took your advice and stopped by my local BestBuy. Gave a listen to those pioneers...natural,balanced sound. then gave the polk t15s a listen...no comparison..the pioneers had a better overall sound. The polks were only slightly louder, which was kinda surprising given the 4db diff in sensitivity rating. I was impressed by the pioneers..so I purchased them lol. Lets see how they'll sound with the 25 watt per channel shelf system;)

Congrats on the purchase! I know if I were buying a speaker under $300, possibly even $400, and wanted new, those would be hard to beat. There might be better speakers in the bracket, but you're going to have to look at the top end of that bracket for them.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Hey thank DSKip, he really likes those Pioneers. Myself, I thought about a set in my bedroom but not enough space so the mini KEFs will stay. Anyway, I hope they work out for you.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Congrats on the purchase! I know if I were buying a speaker under $300, possibly even $400, and wanted new, those would be hard to beat. There might be better speakers in the bracket, but you're going to have to look at the top end of that bracket for them.
    Thank you DSkip:-). I agree. I was quite surprised myself when I was sampling them. To my ears, the sound quality of these pioneers even beat the klipsch bookshelfs they had. It clearly out did the t15s..sorry to say :-\.

Thread Information