Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (10)

dskip, i wouldn't spend 5K on a pair of speakers. go cheap and be happy.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Hey Marvin, did you notice you had Anthony's company email at the end of that review? Putz lol.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

didn't think it was good with the web site down.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Worth a shot at this point. The website is still up, it's just not open to the public.

I think given the options I have, I'll be in the $2k bracket for my next speakers. I might step up to $3k if something really stands out, but at this point my top 2 contenders are at the $2k mark, more or less.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (1)

If you buy speakers at 5k then its not a bad move? Usually if you spend alot on something like' 5k on speakers' your not going to loose much when your finished with them. I would rethink the ML Electromotion, I bought my pair for the very reason that the room is small. I wanted something thats goingto let me hear everything from a short distance at low volume and these image way better than the kef ls50's that are supposed to be great at doing.

here is one of the speakers anthony was targeting as competition for his speaker including the tyler.
    http://www.stereotimes.com/speak021512.shtml
    they also have a signature version of this speaker but i don't know the price.

still wish i could hear these.
    http://app.audiogon.com/listings/mon...9-las-vegas-nv
    Last edited by marvda1; 03-12-2014 at 10:57 PM.
    Main system

I won't use planars of any kind in my room. I like my smga, but the beauty there is they're exceptionally easy to store.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    I'd be in for the Raal/Accutron combo! Oh, I already am...;) With some Scan-Speak Revelators below the waist.
    Yeah, I know! I know there is no going back from that combo you have. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Vapor speakers are nice and sound great, but there's sometimes a very long wait. Just a FYI...

Selah audio is also worth checking out: http://www.selahaudio.com/id75.html
    I agree! Selah is very worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post
    That's basically the Selah Tempesta
    I think Rich Meant something much bigger than the Selah Tempesta. :)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    I won't use planars of any kind in my room. I like my smga, but the beauty there is they're exceptionally easy to store.
    What's wrong with the Planars in your room? There are lots of other planars / ribbons outside of the Maggies if you don't like how they sound.

The Dome tweets that can match the speed and the accuracy of a good ribbon tweeter is very very few and usually very expensive. Think of the Pure BE Type or Diamond Type Dome or the super expensive Dyna Esotar II soft dome if there is one for sale.

The other problem is that all the Dome tweeters has lower sensitivity than most modest ribbon tweeters.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by megasat16 View Post
    Yeah, I know! I know there is no going back from that combo you have. :D

Yeah, no regrets on the investment. If I lived closer to you or Mike I would have tried diy....with my best Tom Sawyer act...(get you to paint the fence)...lol
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by megasat16 View Post
    What's wrong with the Planars in your room? There are lots of other planars / ribbons outside of the Maggies if you don't like how they sound.
    Room issue more than sound issue. 12'x14', 120" screen.... there isn't enough room to leave a planar permanently positioned in an ideal location. It would protrude too far out and have to sit in front of my screen - what's the point?

I grew up, (sort of) in the 70's era of loudspeakers. I inherited a pair of Wharfdale and Empire speakers... both vintage early 70's. Both were 3 way, and not really "bookshelf" more like 3 way full size. Had enough power from my nad 3240 pe @ a conservative 45 watts/ channel to blow both out. I like loud volume.. no apologies there. They were quite different in one respect, and that is the tweet actuator. One hard dome and one soft. I still own the empires, and will keep them forever. They were my dad's speakers, and with some modern improvements, seem timeless. Still own the solid marble tops, and they will be in two channel mode forever. But compared to my modern home theater... not even in the same class. Much respect for the vintage gear... Dual turntables,, B&O turntables, integrated preamps, etc. But nothing close to what a few grand will fetch nowadays.
    Home Theater- 5.1/DTS bliss-- Source: Sony BDP-S790; Pre/Pro: Golden Theater GTX-1; Amplifiers: Golden Theater GTA-1; Speakers: Main: RTi6's, Center: RTi6's, Surround: RTi12's, Sub: KSW-12Video: RCA Scenium rear projection 52" @ 1080i.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

In what way?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

In what way?
    I'd be in for the Raal/Accutron combo! Oh, I already am...;) With some Scan-Speak Revelators below the waist.
    The Tempesta is a Raal tweeter, accuton mid and a revelator for bass. Am I missing something?
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

Member Sales Rating: (12)

The Tempesta is a Raal tweeter, accuton mid and a revelator for bass. Am I missing something?
    I'm not, got two Revelators...;)
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    I'm not, got two Revelators...;)
    That you are not good sir.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

One is a two way, one is a three way. The tweeters are similar, but may not be identical. The mid of the Tempesta is an Accuton, but has many differences between that and the 6.5" midwoofer. Do I need to go on?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

One is a two way, one is a three way. The tweeters are similar, but may not be identical. The mid of the Tempesta is an Accuton, but has many differences between that and the 6.5" midwoofer. Do I need to go on?
    What are you talking about... Rich is talking about his Salk Soundscapes... which has a Raal tweeter, accuton mid and revelators for bass. Rich added the bit about adding a revelator for a bass driver. So add a revelator as the bass driver with a Raal tweeter/accuton combo, you get the Tempesta. The Tempesta is close to the soundscape in driver config...
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Okay, the driver configuration may be what one would consider close to the same. I'll give you that but to say that it's basically the Selah Tempesta is akin to calling an Acura the same thing as a Honda. A Lexus the same thing as a Toyota. A Mazda truck the same thing as a Ford truck or a Nissan the same thing as an Infinity. Yes, they might sometimes look alike but when you get behind the belt the differences can be vast. It's the same thing with speakers.

As you know (or may know), everything affects everything in audio. The differences could be diffraction, build quality, dampening, bracing, resonance control, footing/isolation properties, build material, wiring techniques, and connections to name a few. All of these things have the potential to change the sound scape of the speaker from the good to the bad range. Then, on top of that, enter the crossover. The single most important and game changing aspect of a speaker who's cabinet and driver location has already been determined. One component within the crossover can make or break a speaker and most crossovers can range from a simple two or three component crossover to 50 components and beyond depending on design. IME, just one component can mean the difference between harsh and pleasing. Between visceral impact and bloated bass. Between a blended image and one that is in focus. Between a great sounding speaker and a stellar sounding speaker. I could go on but I think you get the idea.

While I may get what you are trying to say, the way it was worded is a little misleading. To say that it looks like or looks very similar to the Selah Tepesta might have been more appropriate.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Well put Tom. One can simply reference the Usher lineup to reinforce that idea. Look at the Usher 6311, V602, and N-6311, all hitting at different price points. They all use the same drivers in similar tower configurations, yet I guarantee the differences are more than meets the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Okay, the driver configuration may be what one would consider close to the same. I'll give you that but to say that it's basically the Selah Tempesta is akin to calling an Acura the same thing as a Honda. A Lexus the same thing as a Toyota. A Mazda truck the same thing as a Ford truck or a Nissan the same thing as an Infinity. Yes, they might sometimes look alike but when you get behind the belt the differences can be vast. It's the same thing with speakers.

As you know (or may know), everything affects everything in audio. The differences could be diffraction, build quality, dampening, bracing, resonance control, footing/isolation properties, build material, wiring techniques, and connections to name a few. All of these things have the potential to change the sound scape of the speaker from the good to the bad range. Then, on top of that, enter the crossover. The single most important and game changing aspect of a speaker who's cabinet and driver location has already been determined. One component within the crossover can make or break a speaker and most crossovers can range from a simple two or three component crossover to 50 components and beyond depending on design. IME, just one component can mean the difference between harsh and pleasing. Between visceral impact and bloated bass. Between a blended image and one that is in focus. Between a great sounding speaker and a stellar sounding speaker. I could go on but I think you get the idea.

While I may get what you are trying to say, the way it was worded is a little misleading. To say that it looks like or looks very similar to the Selah Tepesta might have been more appropriate.
    I was never comparing those speakers. I was just remarking on Rich's comment on having a "revelator below the waist of that deisignn" If you add a revelator to the Raal/accuton combo, you get the Selah Tempesta. And if you add another revelator, you get the driver config of the Salk. That is all. No comparison. I have no idea what they all sound like compared with each other.
    Last edited by aboroth00; 03-14-2014 at 04:00 PM.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

They both use different midranges too, so it still wouldn't be the same driver lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by face View Post
    they both use different midranges too, so it still wouldn't be the same driver lineup.
    :p :p
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Harbeth is on the list of speakers that I want to hear, but given their polarizing performance, I'd never look seriously until I got my ears on them.
    I have the Harbeth Compact 7se3's currently in my 9x12 room and even though they are a bit big for the room they are stunning speakers. IMHO the reason why the "polarizing" view is that they are so ridiculously consistent from top to bottom. So many juice a frequency here or there to achieve excitement. Harbeth doesn't do that so many think the sound is blah, yet what you really end up hearing is a great design updated regularly that gives off ridiculous amount of detail and richness yet is never fatiguing.

Considering how many speakers I have heard in an ultimate system at ToneAudio studio and in my rig, yet the Compact 7se3's I've kept around I hope will say something.
    Staff Member TONEAudio[SIZE="1"]
    Blogger Site_ smallspacesaudio
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    2 Ch. System
    SimAudio Moon i7 int. amp
    MacBook/PureMusic/iTunes,1.5 TB hd
    SimAudio 300D DAC,
    Harbeth Compact 7es3 Spkrs
    Magnepan1.6 w/SkiingNinja x-overs
    Rega RP1 w/Ortofon Super OM40
    SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Additional Gear:
    ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom3, Virtue Audio int. amp, Vista Audio Int. amp, iPod 160 gig

Yes I assumed they were in the same general ballpark as the Green Mountain Audio sound. Things are finally moving a bit on that Element bookie so my search is on hold for a bit until I know how this is going to pan out. Question about Harbeth - do they need a lot of watts to run well?

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Question about Harbeth - do they need a lot of watts to run well?
    Not really, they have sounded terrific with a 35wpc integrated tube amp, Pass Labs Aleph, all the way up to my big 150wpc Sim i-7. They key is the stands, 16 inch off the ground Sound Anchors are perfect. For positioning I just used the Cardas website room measurement webpage to calculate the starting position and with very minor adjustment I'm set. Enjoy the hunt!
    Staff Member TONEAudio[SIZE="1"]
    Blogger Site_ smallspacesaudio
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    2 Ch. System
    SimAudio Moon i7 int. amp
    MacBook/PureMusic/iTunes,1.5 TB hd
    SimAudio 300D DAC,
    Harbeth Compact 7es3 Spkrs
    Magnepan1.6 w/SkiingNinja x-overs
    Rega RP1 w/Ortofon Super OM40
    SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Additional Gear:
    ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom3, Virtue Audio int. amp, Vista Audio Int. amp, iPod 160 gig

Member Sales Rating: (20)

The Harbeth I heard a couple years back reminded me of the Legacy speakers they've had at LSAF the last couple years, very accurate and correct sounding.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Have you checked out the Ascend acoustics Sierra 2?
    They have a raal tweet and are pretty budget friendly.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Take a look at this kit from Madisound. http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...g-illuminator/ There is a link on the page to Taylor Acoustics who will build the cabinet and assemble them if you choose. Even if you pay to have them build and add in the cost of stands, you are below $5K. I can tell you from experience the drivers are phenomenal. I have yet to hear a speaker sound bad that incorporates these. Yes, I know the crossover can make or break the design. These are what I was going to put together until I found a sweet deal on some PBN B741's.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by markmarc View Post
    I have the Harbeth Compact 7se3's currently in my 9x12 room and even though they are a bit big for the room they are stunning speakers. IMHO the reason why the "polarizing" view is that they are so ridiculously consistent from top to bottom. So many juice a frequency here or there to achieve excitement. Harbeth doesn't do that so many think the sound is blah, yet what you really end up hearing is a great design updated regularly that gives off ridiculous amount of detail and richness yet is never fatiguing.

Considering how many speakers I have heard in an ultimate system at ToneAudio studio and in my rig, yet the Compact 7se3's I've kept around I hope will say something.
    Precisely. Harbeth manages to get treble sparkle/detail without an ounce of harshness or grain, and lays it out on a very linear spectrum where everything comes together, tonally. IMO. Bass does lack some (depth, not accuracy), but they play with PLENTY of scale in my 24 x 38 greatroom. They're down about 3dB @46Hz; which is filled in by my SVS @50Hz crossover. Only Super HL5's will replace my 7es-3's.
    Last edited by steveinaz; 03-18-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Thread Information