Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (7)

A pair of Polk Audio SRS, pick your favorite, with Treys' crossovers.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

New, LSiM 707.

Used, SDA SRS 1.2TL
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post

I hope to listen to the Salk's in the Spring myself.
    It would be worth the trip! You are a lot closer to him than to me, but if you want to make the drive......maybe by end of March there will be no more snow or single digit temps.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Joseph Audio flys under the radar for most folks, but don't dismiss them. Excellent sound and quality that competes with anyone. Also look at Revels, also excellent bookies imho.

BTW, those Selah's look damn sweet.
    I'm familiar with the speakers, and IMO they're overpriced. Beautiful cabinet but there are other implementations of those drivers that can be tweaked to have a very similar signature. Tyler over at Tyler Acoustics has been using those in his Linbrook speakers for quite a while and it seems like they're being phased out now.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Get a nice pair of ML Electromotion, 1000 times better than the ML Source and they sound like the Vistas. The are perfect for a small room and can reveal anything at a low volume with great rewards for good components in the chain.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Quote Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post
    ..... Tyler over at Tyler Acoustics has been using those in his Linbrook speakers for quite a while and it seems like they're being phased out now.
    That's a shame too. I'm listening to that right now. Extremely pleasing sound.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

I'm pursuing a set of bookies right now hoping that the company (that has since closed its doors) still has a few in stock. If so, I'm hoping that I'll be in the market for some speaker stands in short order.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

When I was looking for some used Vandy 2ce a few years ago the store manger for giggles put these on and were amazing. The Quatros are I think 12k out of your range. These I think 5/6k

http://www.stereophile.com/content/v...eo-loudspeaker

lots of choices above ^^^ If you wanna go NOS with warranty try SF . . . comes w/ stands

http://www.paragonsns.com/product/so...ers-in-cherry/

G
    Mains Polk SDA SRS 2 (modified) Sub M&K MX-100
    Power Pass Aleph 30 & Adcom GFA 5802
    Power Conditioner Furman Elite 15 PF i
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    Center Definitive Technology C-1
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    Wires MIT S3.3

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Eh, please do not be offended B Run but ZU's are about the furthest thing from what I would consider good or even decent sound. Granted, I have only heard one speaker out of their lineup but wow, what a bad impression. This is just my opinion based upon my observations so please don't send a hit man after me.

While I haven't heard any Joseph Audio, I have heard nothing but good about them. One real contender I would consider is a used Tyler Acoustics monitor [not the Decade series] upgraded by VR3. Within the price range and after all is said and done, it may just be one of the best imaging speakers you have ever laid your ears upon. Food for thought.

*runs away expeditiously from B Run while has the chance*

Tom
    I'm afraid I'm with BRun on this one. Like Brandon says they are sensitive to setup and equipment upstream. It took me awhile to get them right in my setup but I'm really glad I stuck with them. They are the most dynamic and realistic sounding speakers I ever heard. If I had $5000 for a set of speakers I would look at either ZU Definitions, a totally tricked out set of SRS 1.2 TLs, or some Maggie MG-20s. The ZUs would be at the head of the line. You need to get your ears on another pair that has been set up properly. You still may not like them but then again......
    Last edited by Dawgfish; 03-02-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Yeah.... I can't do monoliths like SDA's or Maggies. The SMGa's are hard enough to get right in my 14x12 room. Zu is still on my 'must-listen to' list.

If this company still has a pair of the bookies up for grabs, I'm done looking. It's just a matter of getting the funds and finalizing the purchase. Think Pulsar at 1/3 the cost - it might not be quite at Pulsar level, but its still the best monitor I've heard to date. I had forgotten about them until this search started.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

I do have to add that I'm appreciative of all the plugs in the thread. There were several options I hadn't thought about, which is what I was trying to achieve... cover all bases. If this avenue is a dead end, I'm going to have to get my ears on many a speaker over the next 6 months.

Thanks guys.

I read the Pulsar review below and found it very interesting, especially when he revisited the review a year later. That passage really shows how we can grow in this hobby and that things might not always be the way they appear, no matter how certain we are.

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2010/1...-loudspeakers/

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Did you ever listen to those Elemental bookies that were at LSAF a couple years back? Those were the best bookshelf speakers I have ever heard, or maybe second next to the Wilson Duette. I think that guy was up in Lewisville somewhere, not sure if he's still around but don't recall him at LSAF last year.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    Did you ever listen to those Elemental bookies that were at LSAF a couple years back? Those were the best bookshelf speakers I have ever heard, or maybe second next to the Wilson Duette. I think that guy was up in Lewisville somewhere, not sure if he's still around but don't recall him at LSAF last year.
    element is out of business but dskip,halen and myself are trying to get in contact with them.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

dskip, ask russman about opera speakers brought in by cardas imports.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tieaebig0QM
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Quote Originally Posted by marvda1 View Post
    element is out of business but dskip,halen and myself are trying to get in contact with them.
    Like Marvin said, we're working on it. I didn't see the point to bring up the name since they weren't well known and are now defunct, but I'm actively pursuing them through channels with diplomatic ties.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Like Marvin said, we're working on it. I didn't see the point to bring up the name since they weren't well known and are now defunct, but I'm actively pursuing them through channels with diplomatic ties.
    translated, the good ole boy network.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtTe...re=c4-overview
    Last edited by marvda1; 03-02-2014 at 09:49 PM.
    Main system

The Focal Micro Utopia BE's aren't bad choices at all.

My choice for bookshelf speakers are B&W CM5 (1,500 pair) or the B&W 805-Diamon (5,500 a pair).
    2CH Setup.
    CM9
    Sonos Pre-Amp
    Crestron CNAMPX16x60 (Bridge Mode)
    MIT AVT2 Interconnects

Quote Originally Posted by RamZet View Post
    The Focal Micro Utopia BE's aren't bad choices at all.

My choice for bookshelf speakers are B&W CM5 (1,500 pair) or the B&W 805-Diamon (5,500 a pair).
    I'm trying to convince Halen to bring his B&W's back home with him so I can hear them in my rig. I'm not much of a B&W guy from everything I've heard, but I've never heard it on my gear, so who knows?

i heard the $5000 b&w bookshelves and the floor standers below them at modia in southlake and the dancers blow them out the water.
    Main system

Member Sales Rating: (20)

B&W is a great mainstream speaker, but like the Polk LSiM you can find better gear for the money if you're willing to look beyond what you can get in your local Best Buy.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

i forgot about these, heard the originals. they have increased in price quite a bit from the original price. price of being popular i guess.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxeqjLAlkFg
    Main system

Anyone heard anything from Lawrence Audio?

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Personally, Harbeth Super HL 5's.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce3i...lB9RSF4Zp__b_7
    Last edited by steveinaz; 03-03-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Member Sales Rating: (14)

For Bookshelf speakers a few come to mind.

1) Dynaudio Focus 160's come to mind. They will fall into your budget nicely. Used you could do better but they don't show up all that often.
    2) B&W N805's , tried and true probably one of the very best Bookshelf speakers ever made. Used only unless you go D series , then the bank gets tested.
    3) Totem Model 1's- well within your budget but well worth the time to listen. One of the best overall speakers to date.
    4) Revel M106 this is a shocking speaker that really sucks you into whatever you are listening to. I basically lost myself in the music demoing them which is something that tells me I really like them. Again very well within your budget.

Small Floor standers
    Same Brands just Floor models , can't say enough about Dynaudio , B&W , Totem and Revel. All 4 companies make wonderful sounding speakers and you should spend some time in from of them.

Honestly I think the F206's are probably the best overall floor standing speakers well with in your price class. They have this warm bass like older paper drivers , they have a mid range that is tight accurate and true to the sound and with amazing high end that brings life to all cymbals and high vocals. I can't begin to say enough about these new Revel speakers. They are personally on my very short list of a future upgrade.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Here's a pic of two....your pick.

Tom
    What were you guys talking about?????? I lost track...
    SRT
    RT5000 x 2
    RT3000p
    RT2000p
    CS1000p
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    PSW1200
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    PSW1200 w/DSW 2k Micropro amp. (Inept Postal Goons Destroyed my original Plate Amp.)I can almost picture those goons...
    Ay-Oh Joey catch this 40# box... naw, don't worry I'm only doin' 35mph!!!!!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Go Green Mountain Audio & never look back!
    http://greenmountainaudio.com/

S

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Quote Originally Posted by carvcom View Post
    Go Green Mountain Audio & never look back!
    http://greenmountainaudio.com/

S
    Home of the $5 buyout woofers.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Thread Information