Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default LSiM706c or LSiM704c to pair with LSi25

I have a pair of LSi25 speakers that i listen to 50% music and 50% HT. I am ready to break down and get a center channel and since there are not any new or refurbished LSiC speakers around I figured I would get either the LSiM706c or the LSiM704c. I know that they are not perfectly matched but I figure that since they both have the ring tweeters they would be the closest match to anything else. Does anyone have any ideas which one would be better matched or have you heard this combo before?

The LsiCs pop up every once in a while. I don't think you'll have to wait that long and it should definitely be worth it. Will probably save you some dough in the long run as well and you'll wind up the the correct speaker for your setup. If you can't wait, go with the 706.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player

I should also mention that I would prefer the 3 way sound of the LSiM series to the 2 way sound of the LSi series for the center. BTW, I forgot to ask this, does the cherry wood on the LSiM706c match the cherry wood on the LSi25 speakers?

From what I've seen (and it depends on your LSi's generation), the color isn't exactly the same between the two lines.

If my memory serves me right, LSiM are a tad more "orange" than their LSi counterpart, and have a glossy finish instead of the wood grain finish on the LSi.

However, unless you have some bright lights in your listening room, it shouldn't be much of a difference. Do you have any way to test it before buying it?

I bet voices will be clear coming from that speaker.

As for timbre matching, I don't know if it's going to change anything if you do not listening to SACD or DVD/Bluray concerts. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but the center channel will carry most of the characters voices and other speakers will carry sounds, music and ambiance. For the rare cases where a character's voice is coming from the sides to the center during a scene, there shouldn't be a lot of difference between those two speakers.

However, I didn't do a direct comparison of those two lines, so I may be wrong. However, even if there is a difference, it's probably as close as you can get.

Anyways, as drummer said, you could wait for a LSiC to pop on ebay.
    Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM705
    Integrated amplifier: NAD C326BEE
    Source : HTPC Using JRiver Media Center
    DAC: Musical Fidelity V-DAC (S/PDIF)

Member Sales Rating: (10)

[QUOTE=pyrocyborg;2023746

As for timbre matching, I don't know if it's going to change anything if you do not listening to SACD or DVD/Bluray concerts. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but the center channel will carry most of the characters voices and other speakers will carry sounds, music and ambiance. For the rare cases where a character's voice is coming from the sides to the center during a scene, there shouldn't be a lot of difference between those two speakers.

Anyways, as drummer said, you could wait for a LSiC to pop on ebay.[/QUOTE]

Have to disagree with you on this one. As you mentioned the voices are likely to come mostly from the center channel unless they are coming from the side (say off camera) which might be noticeable. To me the biggest reason to timbre match the front three is for when the soundtrack "pans" from side to side etc.
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX01 AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Sony CDP-C8ESD CDP, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's

Quote Originally Posted by pyrocyborg View Post
    From what I've seen (and it depends on your LSi's generation), the color isn't exactly the same between the two lines.

If my memory serves me right, LSiM are a tad more "orange" than their LSi counterpart, and have a glossy finish instead of the wood grain finish on the LSi.

However, unless you have some bright lights in your listening room, it shouldn't be much of a difference. Do you have any way to test it before buying it?

I bet voices will be clear coming from that speaker.

However, I didn't do a direct comparison of those two lines, so I may be wrong. However, even if there is a difference, it's probably as close as you can get.

Anyways, as drummer said, you could wait for a LSiC to pop on ebay.
    I don't really want to wait for the LSiC to pop up. I could end up waiting for quite awhile. I have found a new LSiM706c on Ebay for $750 but after looking at the specs on the LSiM704c it seems like it might match the LSi25's better. Correct me if I am wrong but I imagine that the 5 1/4" drivers on the LSiM704c might match up to the LSi25's the best. As far as the generation of my LSi25's, they are brand new not refurbished as of two months ago, I bought them from the Polk Ebay store. The cherry is kind of a dull varnish.
    Speakers: LSi25
    Amp: Parasound 2125
    Receiver: Marantz SR6008
    TV: Samsung UN55F9000

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by ken brydson View Post
    Have to disagree with you on this one. As you mentioned the voices are likely to come mostly from the center channel unless they are coming from the side (say off camera) which might be noticeable. To me the biggest reason to timbre match the front three is for when the soundtrack "pans" from side to side etc.
    Did you miss my post? Do you want the finish to match or the sound? Lsi's and LsiM's are 2 different animals.
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX01 AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Sony CDP-C8ESD CDP, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's

Quote Originally Posted by ken brydson View Post
    Did you miss my post? Do you want the finish to match or the sound? Lsi's and LsiM's are 2 different animals.
    Of course I want the sound to match but then again, I am not that much of an audiophile. I just like real clean sound and I assume the LSiM center is the closest match due to using ring radiator tweeters like the LSi series. I understand that it won't be perfect but I assume that it will be close, I know that the LSiM are 8ohms compared to the LSi 4ohms and that they are both 88db efficiency. What other center channel do you know of that uses a ring radiator tweeter? I feel that matching the tweeters is the most important part for the vocals, correct me if I am mistaken on that. I am open to getting a another product in the Polk line up or even a different brand but I have to assume that the LSiM will be the closet match. I was hoping that someone has actually heard the two lines together.

Wait for an LSiC, or get a pair of 7's or 9's and use one for a center. Better yet, use both for over/under the screen. Don't mix the LSiM centers with LSi fronts.... they aren't a match.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Wait for an LSiC, or get a pair of 7's or 9's and use one for a center. Better yet, use both for over/under the screen. Don't mix the LSiM centers with LSi fronts.... they aren't a match.
    I am searching the internet for an LSiC right now and so far no luck. I am going to call Polk tomorrow and see if they have a refurb somewhere.

Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

That isn't a difficult speaker to ship either, even if original packaging is long gone.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Awesome find, thanks.

Thread Information