Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Headphone Issues

Running an SC-61 Pioneer AVR and purchased some Sennheiser RS180 headphones. I've never run cans before on this AVR. When I plug in via the headphone jack, it goes from whatever mode I'm in to stereo and they work fine. Problem is, all my speakers shut down but the mains, they won't go off. Tried an old set of headphones, same thing. Checked my speaker settings, but I must be missing something (probably simple), just can't figure out what...any thoughts?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Can't really help you there. Not familiar with the controls on that Pioneer. I know I have a Denon that DOES NOT automatically shut off your speakers when the HPs are engaged, you have to turn them off manually, the front ones, that is.

Have you tried putting the Pioneer in the stereo mode first? That's all I can think of, short of going through the menu and shutting the Mains off.

Why isn't anyone else sliding in on this. So many SC owners here?

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Can't really help you there. Not familiar with the controls on that Pioneer. I know I have a Denon that DOES NOT automatically shut off your speakers when the HPs are engaged, you have to turn them off manually, the front ones, that is.

Have you tried putting the Pioneer in the stereo mode first? That's all I can think of, short of going through the menu and shutting the Mains off.

Why isn't anyone else sliding in on this. So many SC owners here?

cnh
    Well, I may have found the issue. I'm also running a 3 channel amp that triggers when I boot up the SC-61. I just assumed it would have no affect if left on. If I manually power it off, no more mains and I can control volume etc of the HP with the AVR. Is that wrong thinking to believe the amp should have had nothing to do with the headphones? I thought plugging in at the jack would shut down any signal before it had chance to handshake with the amp.

Tornado, some receivers don't kill off the pre-outs when headphones are plugged in, even weirder, my HK 3375 stereo receiver, you plug in the cans, you have to manually turn the speaker outputs off BUT the funny thing is, if you have a sub hooked up to the Sub pre-outs...it still goes about it's business, yes I literally have to turn the sub off to use headphones with it. Strange things happen in audio land it appears.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT