Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default The first time you heard a "real" subwoofer after owning an entry-level sub

I'm researching new subs and I'd like to see what anyone's thoughts were when they finally upgraded to a high quality subwoofer. This may help me decide which one to get. I have two in mind but want to hear what you upgraded to and what the result was. Was it noticeable? How much? Did you have regrets about the upgrade? Would you do anything different now? What were your expectations when upgrading? For the purpose of discussion, I consider my old PSW10 and my current Bic F12 as entry-level subs.
    TV: 70" LED Sharp Aquos Quattron 3D
    Fronts: Martin Logan Electromotions --- Center: Martin Logan Motion 8
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Onkyo TX-NR818 --- Emotiva XPA-3 --- Oppo BDP-103 -- 2 Channel: Mapletree Line 2A tube preamp modified

Member Sales Rating: (45)

Default Vmps

The VMPS Larger Tallboy was the 1st real sub I ever owned. Here is a pic of my old tallboy:
    Attached Images  

My only regret was selling it.

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Velodyne CHT-12 to an SVS Plus/2

Only piece of gear I've ever bought that my wife could actually notice the improvement.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by PSOVLSK View Post

Only piece of gear I've ever bought that my wife could actually notice the improvement.
    Technic's woof in a box to an SVS 25-31PCplus. Blew a clock off the wall before proper calibration...
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX01 AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Sony CDP-C8ESD CDP, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's

Went from three...yes...three PSW505's and a PSW650 to a HSU VTF-15h.

That single HSU put out more bass at any volume than the three PSW505's could possibly muster. And did it cleanly where the 505's sounded like half dead flapping goldfish in comparison.

Now I have two 15H's.

While I haven't heard many other similarly priced subs, all the reviews seem to suggest it's the biggest bang for the buck sub on the market right now.
    Down
    RTiA9 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - Dual HSU VTF-15H
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

RT5000p Waiting in the Wings...

Coming from a car audio background, I've played with a lot of raw car and home subs (Boston Pro, PPI, TC Sounds, Elemental Designs, JBL WGTi, AE Speakers, etc.) Just about everyone I have connected to the home system to listen to it. What I found is using a quality driver in an optimized enclosure, correctly placed/aimed can make a noticeable difference. My goal was always quality bass and I was never the type that needed tons of SPL.

The current project is actually the first dedicated LFE project for the home that I've done. I shy'ed away from HT years ago because of hearing an awesome big dollar system with room shaking bass. I thought big $$$ was the only road to putting together a system that would impress me. While that is somewhat true, performance can be had for a reasonable buck if one knows what to look for and how to set it up the system.

Your current subs seems to be a good performing value sub. Where you go from there really depends on your goals and budget... .but there are for sure there are choices out there that can best it. Looks like from your other thread the HSU might be one of the ones your are considering? Not a bad choice! Also Outlaw audio has a sale on some of their B-Stock LFM subs. Their subs are made by HSU :
    https://www.outlawaudio.com/mofcart/bstock.html
    http://www.outlawaudio.com/
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Quote Originally Posted by PSOVLSK View Post

Who says women need an implant?
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Psw10 to an Outlaw LFM-1 plus, man, there is no comparison. I'm currently debating adding a second or trying something bigger in the lower 1k range. Decisions.

Damn you, Dock! Just when I thought I made up my mind with the VTF-2...you go and do this. Does that sub come with the port plugs also? I don't see a "Q Control" on the back of the unit but with more power I'm pretty much 99% sold. Are their B-stocks usually solid? I mean, I emailed HSU and they offered me $20 off the VTF-2 so the price difference is negligible between the two. Just gotta figure if I want a new HSU or a B-stock Outlaw. A little help?

Edit: Great. Now I'm looking at a Power Sound XS15, also. Jeez.
    Last edited by ROHfan; 03-07-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    Onkyo TX-NR818 --- Emotiva XPA-3 --- Oppo BDP-103 -- 2 Channel: Mapletree Line 2A tube preamp modified

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I went from an older Polk mid-level sub to a SVS 20-39CS+ rig... and there's no comparison. When you get a sub that trolls down into some house-threatening subsonics for movies and still maintains its composure for everything else, there's just no going back.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

So I sent an email to Power Sound with a few questions about their XS15. About fifteen minutes later I received an email from none other than Tom Vodhanel, himself! That just pushed the XS15 to the front of the pack in my quest for more gooder subs.

The specs on the Power Sound look really good!

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by ROHfan View Post
    So I sent an email to Power Sound with a few questions about their XS15. About fifteen minutes later I received an email from none other than Tom Vodhanel, himself! That just pushed the XS15 to the front of the pack in my quest for more gooder subs.
    When I was shopping SVS I rec'd emails from Tom myself. Seems pretty hands on.
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX01 AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Sony CDP-C8ESD CDP, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's

Velodyne CHT-12 to a Velodyne FSR-15

The Velodyne FSR-15 has been high on Tom Nousaine’s List for quite some time.

http://www.snapbug.ws/images/tnsubtest.jpg

15" subwoofer with 3" voice coil & 210 oz. magnet
    Built-In 250 watt (RMS) class AS amplifier
    Frequency response 18Hz - 120Hz +/- 3dB
    20”x21.75"x17.5" 98 lbs.

I haven't followed the "CEA-2010 Ratings. Nousaine rated the FSR-15 @ #6, w/109.1 dB, 25-62 Hz avg. Dropping below 20 Hz, I likely never pushed the RS meter level over 94 dB in our 19' X 11' HT, w/4 RTIa9s crossed over @ 80 Hz. We've had the sub off for several months & are pretty satisfied with bass response of the a9s. Ought to pull out the RS meter & test disk & really chart what's going on, as the wife is pressuring me to sell it.

I'm not sure I'd appreciate a down-firing subwoofer. There's something magical focusing on the subwoofer & cueing up Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra & watching the subwoofer vibrate until you can hear it.

"The first note is the bass C (at 16 foot) on the Organ, but in this case was recorded on the Liverpool Cathedral organ at the 64 foot stop weighing in at an 8.2 Hz."

Quote Originally Posted by ROHfan View Post
    .... That just pushed the XS15 to the front of the pack in my quest for more gooder subs.
    Cool! a sealed 15" ....my kind of sub. Well...I'm biased to sealed for music and movies and my room is kind of small-medium (13'x22') and I have too much furniture in it...two couches, a loveseat, chair, and the HT system. Plus, the mains have powered subs that can belt out enough midbass to shake the house by themselves.

Anyway, with your MartinLogan mains, I bet you will really like the sealed 15" for more than just movies. So full, pictures, review, etc are in order when you get the thing loosened up some.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Also, PSA's wood veneer finishes on the more expensive subs are beautiful:
    http://cdn.avsforum.com/c/c1/900x900...458_wv777.jpeg
    http://cdn.avsforum.com/c/c3/900x900...Expresso1.jpeg
    FAMILY ROOM

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    Also, PSA's wood veneer finishes on the more expensive subs are beautiful:
    http://cdn.avsforum.com/c/c1/900x900...458_wv777.jpeg
    http://cdn.avsforum.com/c/c3/900x900...Expresso1.jpeg
    Crap, those are sweet. Just talked with Tom again from Power Sound. The XS15 is a lock. And the wife's gonna kill me. But at least I'll die happy :)

Yep, watching War of the World now on HBO and the wife says she felt uptight after the pod scene. She did not look too happy after I told her how much more the house will shake when I get the sub done powered by the big DJ amp that just came in the mail the other day. She rolled her eyes and said, "Oh God!" LOL!
    FAMILY ROOM

Funny that you started this thread. I just went from a PSW10 to SVS-PB2000. Bought February 6th. All I can say is I know what I have been missing in both music and movies. My next door neighbor what to know what movie I was watching. He thought my house was going to blow up. Was watching the mini series The Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by RduNC View Post
    Funny that you started this thread. I just went from a PSW10 to SVS-PB2000. Bought February 6th. All I can say is I know what I have been missing in both music and movies. My next door neighbor what to know what movie I was watching. He thought my house was going to blow up. Was watching the mini series The Pacific.
    Nice,I would love that. I can only imagine yours and that Velodyne FSR-15
    I figure within 3 years I will be up to par, amp/real sub "full" setup and a dedicated room.
    With everything driven properly not just with a AVR.
    As it is a bit tough getting into it since my teens/early 20's and have a 2 yr old now lmao
    Soon enough I will be charging(lol) people to come to my house for a movie night lol

My very first subwoofer was a circa 1987 Speakerlab DAS-SW kit, that I assembled and painted myself. It was a dual coil rig with it's own crossover that you fed both R and L signals into and then out from the SW to the speakers.

I still used that sub, but the first "real" subwoofer I heard was an old Velodyne from back in the '90's. It literally "growled" at me when I demo'd it.
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR806 7.1 surround 130 W/Ch THX Ultra2 Plus
    Mains: 2x Polk RTA 8TL's
    Surrounds: 2x Klipsch RS-41ii (because they fit perfectly over the door and window)
    Subwoofer: Speakerlab DAS-SW dual-voice-coil 10" '88 30Hz-150Hz
    Subwoofer Amp: ONKYO A-8019 AMP '85 100wpc
    Center: Polk CS245i
    Display: Samsung 55" UNC55-8000 3D LED
    Console: Xbox360
    DVR: custom MythTV rig w/ 3 tuners OTA
    Zone2: 2x Polk M4a '90

Nice! That would match up with the SDA 2B's , same appearance with the Oak top and bottem.

This is the sub of all subs, I would Love to own one of these..

http://www.paradigm.com/products-cur.../page=overview
    VTL Compact 100 mono blocks, Casta Acoustics Model A's, VTL 5.5 Preamp,Audio Note L3 Phono Stage with audio Note AN-S2 Step Up,HiDiamond H5 Speaker Cables,McCormack DNA 500 ,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT/Technics SL-1200Mk2,Ortofon Cadenza Red/

In regards to the VMPS Tallboy, the oak top and bottem matches nicely with the SDA 2B standard version.
    I may consider putting a natural oak top on my Acoustic Profiles PSL SUB10.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    This is the sub of all subs, I would Love to own one of these..

http://www.paradigm.com/products-cur.../page=overview
    Agreed......
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Meh, I'll take 6 individual 750w subs for better room response
    Down
    RTiA9 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - Dual HSU VTF-15H
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

RT5000p Waiting in the Wings...

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    Cool! a sealed 15" ....my kind of sub I bet you will really like the sealed 15" for more than just movies. So full, pictures, review, etc are in order when you get the thing loosened up some.
    going big and sealed is awesome , I have built many and found ported subs are peaky ( do well at tuned freq ) the small 10" subs in a small room are okay w/the port but once you go large room large bass its gotta be sealed .
    I got four twelves sealed in the cornor w/a QSC amp running it

Just checked my tracking number on the Fedex site. My XS15 is in Jersey and gets delivered tomorrow. I promise I'll take pics of the unpacking and the reveal :)

I am thinking of building an 18" sealed just for the fun of it. Look forward to your impressions of the xs15...

Thread Information