Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Hello Dskip,

Glad you're enjoying your new set up. I recently make the same move with Jriver and a DAC magic. So far so good.

Cheers
    Roger

Question what program/ software are you using to rip with?

One of things I've notice since I when this route is the flaws with iTunes lossless.

Never noticed it when running SB touch but certainty can on some tracks with the Jrivers

Cheers
    Roger

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    Remember, a DAC is basically just a CDP without the transport section, stands to reason that at a given price a DAC will sound better because it has less components and the stuff that is in there should be higher quality.
    Don't mean to nit pick, but a CD player provides clock and data separate via an I2S bus to the internal DAC chip. The output for a player is SPDIF which has clock and data combined and must be sorted out by an external DAC's chip. External DAC's are usually connected with SPDIF, unless they have a USB to I2S module. There is a difference between I2S and SPDIF and some will prefer one over the other. Generally I find I2S to be cleaner and more accurate than SPDIF even with an ESS Sabre DAC chip. SPDIF SQ depends on how well the DAC chip decodes SPDIF. Also reclocking the I2S or SPDIF before handing it off to the DAC chip can result in better SQ for both.

Like anything, done well will sound better than not done as well.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by polk500 View Post
    Question what program/ software are you using to rip with?

One of things I've notice since I when this route is the flaws with iTunes lossless.

Never noticed it when running SB touch but certainty can on some tracks with the Jrivers

Cheers
    Roger
    Jriver. All CD's are being ripped as FLAC.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Thanks Dskip, This morning before work I was playing a couples of tunes and it dawned on me that you probably used Jriver...

Sorry to to bother you with such a duh question some days it's a wonder that I can walk and breath at the same time...

Cheers
    Roger

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    Like anything, done well will sound better than not done as well.
    Words to live by....amen Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    Don't mean to nit pick, but a CD player provides clock and data separate via an I2S bus to the internal DAC chip. The output for a player is SPDIF which has clock and data combined and must be sorted out by an external DAC's chip. External DAC's are usually connected with SPDIF, unless they have a USB to I2S module. There is a difference between I2S and SPDIF and some will prefer one over the other.
    This is exactly what I have been trying to sort out. I recently built a (cheap) media server out of a laptop, etc. (see another thread in this forum), and specifically used a "special" PCMCIA card with SPDIF (coax) out for the very reason that I didn't want to mess with USB and the associated clocking issues. I run that digital out directly to my amp's digital in and (to my surprise) it sounds so good I can't tell the difference between the hard-drive (FLAC) output and CD player output (obviously both use the same DACs in the amp). I would assume that it would take an external USB/DAC combo >> than the $100 I spent on the PCMCIA card to produce similar audio quality.
    Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
    B&O TX2 Turntable
    Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
    Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
    LG LST-3410a OTA DVR
    Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
    Optoma HD65 Projector

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Getting audio out of a computer can be tricky. It's not really that difficult, but needs to be done correctly to get optimal results. I've tested on several DACs and even with what are generally considered to be very good converters I get equal or better sound when streaming from a USB drive attached directly to the machine. The Oppo interface for the iPad isn't as pretty as JRomote or the Apple Remote interface, but it's functional and simple and the sound is marginally better so I use it.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Can Jremote select the Oppo as a device?
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

I believe so. You set up the Oppo as a zone in JRiver, this is a one time thing when you first set it up, then can select to play back to whatever zone you want. I know the zone thing works for sure, what I can't remember offhand is if you can select the zone in JRemote or if that has to be done in the software itself.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

That might be a better alternative for me then than going out and dropping big coin on a nice USB cable.

If you plan to get the Oppo then I'd say so. When you stream from something like JRiver it can be more complicated for the initial setup and configuration and it relies on a robust network, but once you've got it working it's a great solution IMO. You get all the conveniences of a computer based solution and don't have to deal with any of the common issues of playing directly from a computer (noise, USB issues, etc).
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    If you plan to get the Oppo then I'd say so. When you stream from something like JRiver it can be more complicated for the initial setup and configuration and it relies on a robust network, but once you've got it working it's a great solution IMO. You get all the conveniences of a computer based solution and don't have to deal with any of the common issues of playing directly from a computer (noise, USB issues, etc).
    Just looked up and saw people using jriver to control it. I might have an Oppo 105D by the end of the week.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

ok-that looks to be the swiss army knife of playback.
    So the 105 allows you to connect a usb drive full of music and use the oppo interface for playback.
    or connect a computer via usb. And just about any other combo you could imagine.
    I think it looks to be a winner!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Yeah, you have lots of options with the 105, and on top of all that it sounds superb!
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Quote Originally Posted by sucks2beme View Post
    ok-that looks to be the swiss army knife of playback.
    So the 105 allows you to connect a usb drive full of music and use the oppo interface for playback.
    or connect a computer via usb. And just about any other combo you could imagine.
    I think it looks to be a winner!
    The 105 has been on my list since it was released, but I decided to get my monoblocks and preamp when I got the funds about a year ago. I'm content with my DAC right now, but thinking about getting the most out of my source now and the 105D is making the most sense from an all-around perspective.

Yeah, based on what we heard when we compared the two side by side, I don't think the sound of the Oppo is better enough to justify spending the extra $1200. I think it is a small step up and obviously the higher up you go the more you pay to get those small increments in sound quality, but even with that if I already had your DAC for free I would have a hard time spending the money on the Oppo just for the small improvement in sound.

Now when you factor in all the other crap the Oppo does and the fact that I can have everything in one player...that's where the picture starts to change and for me personally the blend of that convenience without a compromise in sound quality is worth the price.
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Suffice it to say that I won't be paying full retail for the Oppo, making it a much more appealing option (I know Danny, shocker). The freedom the Oppo allows me in setup is phenomenal right now and THAT is what put it back on the map. I was looking at dropping several $$$ on a USB cable, but I think rolling that money into an Oppo is a better deal as it eliminates the need for my computer to even be in the same room as my rig. The video performance is also a big plus since I'm running such a big screen.

check out this audio server I made for $56 bucks, http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...i-Music-Server.

Used a Raspberry Pi for the hardware, Volmunio for the software and a USB DAC for sound. (DAC price not included in that 56 bucks b/c I already had one.)

Best part is the power use, 5v 1amp!
    2CH Setup.
    CM9
    Sonos Pre-Amp
    Crestron CNAMPX16x60 (Bridge Mode)
    MIT AVT2 Interconnects

Thread Information