Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Hook up bi wirable speaker to 2 sources

Hey all. Just wondering if it is possible to take a bi wirable speaker and hook it up to 2 different receivers..meaning using one set of terminals for one unit and the second set for another unit ?
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

Yes, but each unit will only be sending sound to half of the speaker. What are you thinking about over there?
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

i believe he means leaving the jumper in, but only having one source running it at a tie, but wont it then send the signal through the speaker and on to the other source?
    HT/2channel:
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V 765
    Fronts: Polk RTiA3
    sub: Polk PSW110(will add 2x PSW 505)
    Center: CS13
    surrounds:Polk RTi4
    TV: samsung 40
    The real 2 Channel(work in progress):
    Pre:HK 3490
    Amp:Parasound 1200 MK II
    Sub:RBH 1010-SEP
    Speakers: Monitor 5 Jr. +
    most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)

Quote Originally Posted by seabeerob213 View Post
    i believe he means leaving the jumper in, but only having one source running it at a tie, but wont it then send the signal through the speaker and on to the other source?
    You got it seabeerob213. Its for someone I'm trying to help. They want to use the same speakers for both of their units. One is an avr and the other is a stereo receiver. I asked why not use the same unit for both music and movies, but they don't want to do that..for some reason. Hence, the question at hand. I don't think it would send the signal to the other source tho..if one source is running at a time.
    My 3.1 HT setup: Pioneer SP-FS52x2, Pioneer SP-C22, SVS PB1000, Denon AVR 1613, PS3 slim, Samsung 46" 3D TV.
    My 2ch Music setup: Polk R40s, Yamaha RX-496 stereo receiver, Auvio Bluetooth w/NFC Music Receiver, JSI DVD/CD Player with HDMI upconvert.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Short answer NO....that is not a good idea. Both receivers I feel would be seeing each other and maybe ohm, resistance issue's

Nope, not a good idea at all.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Won't the power circuit of the "in-use" amp be degraded by being connected to the "not-ion-use" amp, even if it's powered off? It seems like you may get some ... how we say in the computer business ... non-deterministic results?
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR806 7.1 surround 130 W/Ch THX Ultra2 Plus
    Mains: 2x Polk RTA 8TL's
    Surrounds: 2x Klipsch RS-41ii (because they fit perfectly over the door and window)
    Subwoofer: Speakerlab DAS-SW dual-voice-coil 10" '88 30Hz-150Hz
    Subwoofer Amp: ONKYO A-8019 AMP '85 100wpc
    Center: Polk CS245i
    Display: Samsung 55" UNC55-8000 3D LED
    Console: Xbox360
    DVR: custom MythTV rig w/ 3 tuners OTA
    Zone2: 2x Polk M4a '90

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Wire is a 2 way street and path of least resistance comes to mind ...will power from one just go to the other instead of through crossover to drivers.

I do not know but I'd be really careful as you might let out the magic smoke

I had a customer several years ago run 2 different sources to the same set of speakers in his car..at low volumes it didn't seem to make much of a difference . Higher volume levels seemed to cause a resistance issue and the sound became fuzzy and annoying .When I examined the equipment I found that one of the sources on their own was damaged in the output stage .I don't know if it was caused by his configuration but I suspect it to have been and suggested upgrading to one unit that met all his needs ..thought this might help .hagd.
    Last edited by evilgenius68; 03-11-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    Read thspecs,

read the reviews, do the research but most importantly...Listen and make your own decisions.
    Polk SDA 1Cs.
    Polk CDAS
    Yamaha RX-V661
    Yamaha M65
    Yamaha CDX-910
    Yamaha CX-800
    Technics SH8066
    Polk R30s
    AR HT 60 pwrd.sub

Thanks for all y'alls input. I suggested that they either upgrade to one unit for all their needs ( like what was said from another ), or get a second pair of speakers lol.

Is there some kind of A/B switch where you can hook up the AVR to one input and the stereo receiver to the other then run cables from it to the speakers then use A or B and desired?
    Modest HT - Pioneer VSX 821K, RT800i, CS400 center, RT25i surrounds, Velodyne CHT-10 sub, Belkin PF30.
    Bedroom - Yamaha RX-V373, Monitor 7C, CS175i center

He could get a speaker selector if he must use two different receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    He could get a speaker selector if he must use two different receivers.
    I totally forgot bout speaker selectors. Thanks for the reminder y'all. I'll advise that to the person I'm helping.

Member Sales Rating: (37)

I have a Monster speaker selector that I'll sell cheap if he's interested.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Default a SOURCE selector is what you need

Quote Originally Posted by felipe View Post
    I totally forgot bout speaker selectors. Thanks for the reminder y'all. I'll advise that to the person I'm helping.
    I believe what he really needs is a SOURCE selector. A slightly different animal.
    This assumes that both receivers have line outs but this is the safest way to do it.
    One set of speakers and Multiple sources - source selector
    One source and Multiple speakers - speaker selector

Something like this:
    http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc716pp.html

You could wire up the speaker selector in reverse but the caveat here is that one of the sources must be off before selecting the other source or else bad things could happen to the receiver(s)...
    Last edited by Blownrx7; 03-31-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: clairification

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by Blownrx7 View Post
    I believe what he really needs is a SOURCE selector. A slightly different animal.
    This assumes that both receivers have line outs but this is the safest way to do it.
    One set of speakers and Multiple sources - source selector
    One source and Multiple speakers - speaker selector

Something like this:
    http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc716pp.html

You could wire up the speaker selector in reverse but the caveat here is that one of the sources must be off before selecting the other source or else bad things could happen to the receiver(s)...
    Oh geez, sometimes my brain doesn't get engaged fully.
    Forget the SOURCE selector since that is what would be used betweend multiple sources and an amp, preamp or receiver.
    That being said, the speaker selector can be used in reverse, BUT BE WARNED, you must turn off one input before selecting the other or risk frying one or both of the receivers...

Thread Information