Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Speaker jumpers - They do make a difference

After going though the last few years upgrading all my cables (power, interconnect, speaker) and power I finally broke down and bought two pair of speaker jumpers. My speakers, Aerial Acoustic 7T, have nice, solid brass jumpers, and, to be honest, I really couldn't imagine a speaker jumper making much difference.

Well, once again, the real world makes a mockery of my preconceived ideas. As soon as I turned the amps on after replacing the jumpers I knew it was different. I had paused an Elgar Cello Concerto while changing, and upon resumption it appeared to be a bit louder. As I listened to it I noticed the cello would seem to move closer to the left speaker, and then come back a tad to the right. It was if the player would lean over, and then go back upright.

As they have burnt in, the soundstage is even better defined, and nuances such as note decay are longer. The over all effect is scary in its new found detail and clarity. How can this short piece of wire, which is about 4" longer than the jumpers, make this big of a difference? I guess based on my past experience with other cables I should have expected this, but I am still amazed at the improvement. I have a new pair of speakers, and they are already broke in.

Jumpers: Shunyata VTX-11

http://www.shunyata.com/index.php/ou...f-vtx11-jumper

Blue as much time money and effort you have put into your rig and the cheapest thing you could have replaced is the jumpers....shame, shame, shame....you should know what the last 3-letters in brass spells

Cheers dude...and as always enjoy ;)
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

I'm shocked you didn't go shunyata.... Oh wait.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Welcome to the Jumper Club

I've been using MIT Magnum jumpers on my SDA's for years. They made an improvement even a deaf man could hear. About a year ago I installed MIT Shotgun jumpers on the RTiA7's and A6 in the HT rig and once again the improvement was not subtle, knocked that slightly hot top end down nicely.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Welcome to the Jumper Club

I've been using MIT Magnum jumpers on my SDA's for years. They made an improvement even a deaf man could hear. About a year ago I installed MIT Shotgun jumpers on the RTiA7's and A6 in the HT rig and once again the improvement was not subtle, knocked that slightly hot top end down nicely.
    Thanks. Glad to be here. I'm already thinking of an upgrade, and move these to the HT/Surround system.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    I'm shocked you didn't go shunyata.... Oh wait.
    So far, each purchase has been a big success. Someday they will have a competitor, but not now.

Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
    Blue as much time money and effort you have put into your rig and the cheapest thing you could have replaced is the jumpers....shame, shame, shame....you should know what the last 3-letters in brass spells

Cheers dude...and as always enjoy ;)

I feel the same way. I just didn't think it would be a big deal.

Thanks.
    Last edited by BlueFox; 03-16-2014 at 02:36 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

I purchased some jps labs jumpers and yes they do make a difference.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Someday they will have a competitor, but not now.
    That's a laugh.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

That's a laugh.

I am really enjoying this upgrade. It's getting better and better.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    That's a laugh.
    More of a slight chuckle laugh, or more of a complete laugh your A$$ off laugh Jesse?
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Me likey those jumpers Fox. Except I can't seem to find a price on them. If you don't mind me asking, where did you snag 'em.

Jess, I can't find the MIT Magnum jumpers either.

Congrats anyway, and like others said....that should have been the first part in your cable upgrades.

The Cable Company is where I been buying cables for the last year or so. However, they only have two selections at this time. I ordered the Reference VTX model, and received the VTX-11 jumpers. Looking at Shunyata's site there is also a VTX-9 model, which appears even better. I will check on Monday and find out why this is not listed for sale. I will probably get the VTX-9, and move the VTX-11 to the surround system's fronts.

Let's see if attachments work correctly. Apparently not.
    Attached Images

Member Sales Rating: (28)

I prefer to use the "integrated" jumper concept. The last pair of wires that I built (with Golden Strata wire) were similar to what Synergistic Research offers here:

Integrated Frequency Transmission

That way, the jumper is the same cable material as the speaker wire, and there is one less connection because the jumper shares the first spade/banana.

Quote Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
    I prefer to use the "integrated" jumper concept. The last pair of wires that I built (with Golden Strata wire) were similar to what Synergistic Research offers here:

Integrated Frequency Transmission

That way, the jumper is the same cable material as the speaker wire, and there is one less connection because the jumper shares the first spade/banana.
    Its interesting they think its better than bi-wiring, which is what I have had all my Kimber Kable 8VS setup as (because they didnt offer 8VS jumpers till earlier this year, bastages).....

I wonder why they think that their method of bi-wiring is any different than just a standard bi-wire. From the pictures it looks like their jumper portion is smaller than the initial wire so it still goes from a larger gauge down to a smaller one, which is pretty much what my Kimbers do.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Its interesting they think its better than bi-wiring, which is what I have had all my Kimber Kable 8VS setup as (because they didnt offer 8VS jumpers till earlier this year, bastages).....

I wonder why they think that their method of bi-wiring is any different than just a standard bi-wire. From the pictures it looks like their jumper portion is smaller than the initial wire so it still goes from a larger gauge down to a smaller one, which is pretty much what my Kimbers do.
    Not sure if I agree that Synergistic's approach is better than other types of bi-wire, but in my case, I wanted shotgun type cable runs and jumpers, so I just integrated the jumper in a manner like they show in the photo. In my case, I used identical runs for the jumper portion, but I removed the outer jacket to make it smaller.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Let's see if attachments work correctly.
    you need one set of nanners fer sure

You know, I thought the exact same thing. However, I have never used banana connectors before. Plus there have been posts here where people say that are too loose, or they are to tight, or they break the posts trying to get the connector out. Spades are a big hassle, but once they are on then you only need to periodically tighten the connector every once in a while.

Member Sales Rating: (9)

If I didn't do reviews I'd go with spades. But since I do life is much easier with banana plugs.
    Staff Member TONEAudio[SIZE="1"]
    Blogger Site_ smallspacesaudio
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    2 Ch. System
    SimAudio Moon i7 int. amp
    MacBook/PureMusic/iTunes,1.5 TB hd
    SimAudio 300D DAC,
    Harbeth Compact 7es3 Spkrs
    Magnepan1.6 w/SkiingNinja x-overs
    Rega RP1 w/Ortofon Super OM40
    SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Additional Gear:
    ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom3, Virtue Audio int. amp, Vista Audio Int. amp, iPod 160 gig

Thread Information