Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 24 View Post
    I've gone from AVR 140wpc, to Parasound HCA-1206 135wpc, Parasound HCA-2003 220wpc, and finally Parasound HCA-3500 with 350wpc and boatloads of current, each power increase sounded better, but IMHO 220wpc was a sweet spot in terms of bang for the buck. You can find lots of good amps around there for $5-800 where a good 300+wpc seems to be $1200 minimum in the used market.
    Inspector - Your trip up the amp ladder was a strong incentive. I poured over the FM, audiogon, CL & ebay in pursuit of >= 300 wpc. In the end, I ventured into pro amps, & will stick w/Yamaha P7000s' 700 wpc using EEE topology. The attenuators are set - 3 dB & the clipping indicators never come on, nor do the fans. My guitarfactory "demo" was $600. The only downside of 2-channel listening is poorly mastered CDs!

Definitely have enough power!

If you ever get the chance definitely check out some Parasound or similar gear. I've never heard pro audio stuff on home speakers so my opinion doesn't carry much weight, but based on so many other's experiences there seems to be a lot better sound to be had with non-pro audio gear. If I ever get the chance I'd be curious to hook one up and discover what my ears have to say about it. :)
    Down
    RTiA9 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - Dual HSU VTF-15H
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

RT5000p Waiting in the Wings...

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 24 View Post
    I would think if you're running out of lights you're running out of headroom?
    Right. In the pic, one 300w amp for the mains, one 300w amp for the rears. I have since put the two amps back to monoblocks. I have headroom to spare.
    Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff4rfc View Post
    Right. In the pic, one 300w amp for the mains, one 300w amp for the rears. I have since put the two amps back to monoblocks. I have headroom to spare.
    You should now test thst setup out on pasific rim! Hehe. Just watched the movie in 3d tonight. Seen it before in the theator. Tons and tons of low bass! My meters on the xpa-2 was going nuts! :)
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)

Hello my Polk comrades! Well, I got my A9's, and have been giving them a workout with everything but country music, and....WoW! These speakers Rock! I'm very happy with them, they aren't bright, or muddy, they are perfect for me. Even though I'm using "inferior" gear to some. These are just as clear/defined as the JBL XPL 200's I had a few years ago, and produce much better defined bass than my CV CLS215's I'm about to sell off. Anyhow, audio is a fun hobby, try different gear and have fun, and NEVER,EVER let the "audiophiles" tell what gear you HAVE to use.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCage View Post
    ....and NEVER,EVER let the "audiophiles" tell what gear you HAVE to use.
    If that's a lesson in how to alienate half the membership....good lesson. Nobody here tells anyone they "have" to use x anything. We make suggestions, give personal preferences and opinions....sometimes even to keep the misinformed from damaging good gear they spent their hard earned coin on.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

After reading everything above, here's my 2 cents.

First off the polk audio RTIA9's are awesome. They Rock with the best of them and really sound great playing just about anything you throw at them. In History I feel the RTIA line is the best RT series polk ever made. For Rock music , they are something else. For the money going to be very hard to beat.
    The Klipsch RF7 II's are in another class. Not a fair comparison . But they are one remarkable sounding speaker. They play louder lower and clearer then the RTIA9's do IMO. You want Rock music? You found Rock music. You want Theater? You found Theater. Not many speakers in their price class can do what they can, really nothing I know of do a better job at sheer force volume and impact.
    But according to your budget , they might break the bank. The RTIA9's at their price point are probably a better value.

As far as using the QSC GX5 as your home amp? Not a good choice IMO. I have used this amp to power some Monitors for a Frat House in Phila. I didn't think it sounded all that good and the fan is way out of the question for a home system.

I suggest selling it or taking it back and getting a home amp like a NAD , Rotel , Adcom etc. You will find a better match here and much better sound quality IMO.

I must have missed it but what preamp are you using?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post

I must have missed it but what preamp are you using?
    There aint no way in hell I'm gonna answer that question on this forum. Lets just say the amp's not the only piece of Mcintosh I own(ed). All I asked when I posted on these forums was are the a9's music or movies. I should never have answered any questions about gear. I had no idea this was a "gear critique" forum. I was researching Emotiva and was really not surprised to read you guys even slam those amps. Wow, really? Should this be the Parasound forum instead of Polk? Anyhow, for anyone not from this forum, The AK forum is a lot less condescending. Peace, OUT!

1) Oh you didn't know there's a group of people who walk around here with their noses in the clouds?

2) Not sure Mantis is one of them, as he stated things as being his opinion...opinions like *******s, we all have them, doesn't mean what it says holds weight.

3) That's a pretty harsh reaction, if it works for you it works, but it can't hurt to be open to other suggestions. Some people have been there done that and solicited or not want to help people's gear sound good.
    Down

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Member Sales Rating: (13)

The AK forum is a lot less experienced.
    Fixed it for ya.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Fixed it for ya.
    Bullcrap, you pab!

you know what, I love my a9's, but you people here, buncha trolls!

I haven't added anyone in a while, but you definitely belong, so welcome to the BOZO list.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Yawn.....wake up when this thread is over.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCage View Post
    There aint no way in hell I'm gonna answer that question on this forum. Lets just say the amp's not the only piece of Mcintosh I own(ed). All I asked when I posted on these forums was are the a9's music or movies. I should never have answered any questions about gear. I had no idea this was a "gear critique" forum. I was researching Emotiva and was really not surprised to read you guys even slam those amps. Wow, really? Should this be the Parasound forum instead of Polk? Anyhow, for anyone not from this forum, The AK forum is a lot less condescending. Peace, OUT!
    Why wouldn't you answer that question on this forum? I thought this was a Audio Video forum , my bad. If you where to ask me what Preamp I owned , I would tell you I have a NAD T187. See thats not very hard is it?
    We as a forum talk about gear because it's apart of the experience. With the right amount of power , polk speakers can sound amazing, with not enough power , they can sound less then great. I don't see the problem with talking about the system given speakers are going into. Don't include my into the Emotiva Bashing group, I never had the pleasure of listening to their gear and really would like to. I have read in and outside this forum many good things about their stuff. Some guys in here who slam them have demo'd them and found what they found. Opinions are very welcome around here as we don't all agree on everything.
    The reason why some talk about Parasound is the fact they own it and had huge success. I for one have Installed many Parasound amps and they are pretty damn nice. I see no reason to get all wound up about it.
    If you feel the AK forum is more to your liking , then good luck over there. Just a quick question , what is the AK forum? Got a link? I don't think I know that one.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

what is the AK forum? Got a link? I don't think I know that one.

Dan
    C'mon, you know http://www.audiokarma.org/
    Samsung PN64F8500, Parasound 2100 pre amp, Parasound 2250 v.2 amp, Parasound Zdac, OPPO 103D, Monitor Audio Silver RX8, Dual SVS PB 2000

If you feel the AK forum is more to your liking , then good luck over there. Just a quick question , what is the AK forum? Got a link? I don't think I know that one.

Dan
    I think he's referring to the audio karma forum but I could be wrong. That said, I'll agree with pretty much all your prior post. Enough power and finesse in the head end of the chain can make a Polk speaker sound absolutely delightful and this is from personal experience. Going from 120wpc to 205 had the most impact then adding or replacing things before the amplification stage with careful consideration and tremendous advice helped me build a fairly decent dual purpose rig.

The above is my personal experience, others will vary of course.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Going from 120wpc to 205 had the most impact then adding or replacing things before the amplification stage with careful consideration and tremendous advice helped me build a fairly decent dual purpose rig.

The above is my personal experience, others will vary of course.
    If I had a nickel for every story such as yours pal, I could afford to live in Canada....not that I'd want to. lol

We all started out in this fashion one way or another. Once you hear what others have been saying, your sold into the world of better audio for life.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    If I had a nickel for every story such as yours pal, I could afford to live in Canada....not that I'd want to. lol

We all started out in this fashion one way or another. Once you hear what others have been saying, your sold into the world of better audio for life.
    Yes but one important thing...as he went up the wattage scale he did so with amps that had "boatloads of current", not all high wattage amps are equal in that area....peak, instantaneous, continuous, or, the amount of amperage the power suppy is capable of producing. If high watts were the answer then high end tube amps would suck rotten eggs, the don't suck eggs cuz they have "boatloads of current".
    Samsung PN64F8500, Parasound 2100 pre amp, Parasound 2250 v.2 amp, Parasound Zdac, OPPO 103D, Monitor Audio Silver RX8, Dual SVS PB 2000

Not just amps....every other piece of audio gear too. I would think over the years our suggestions given here have made most pretty frickin' happy in their audio journey. Audio systems are like dating, you have to match up the right pair for bliss. That's more so what my comments were directed at.

High current, higher than usual wattage, RTiA7s love it, that black box in my rack can certainly cause serious music to happen. If it wasn't for tonyb's high recommendation to my amp, my eyes and ears wouldn't of been opened as wide as they were. I still remember that HOLY CRAP moment when I installed it, fired it up and hit the towers with some music. Bliss was there by the boatload. This place is a pretty damn good resource period.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

what the heck are you guys thinking, asking this fella what sort of preamp he's running and making recommendations to try to help him get the most out of his expensive new speakers. just tell him what he wants to hear and then shut up. everyone knows that.
    - msg

People have to want to be helped. Unsolicited advice is rarely accepted.

I never saw him asking for help. Just a few people criticizing his gear when he wasn't asking for opinions on it...just if the A9's were music or movie speakers...

Just my observation.
    Down

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Not just amps....every other piece of audio gear too. I would think over the years our suggestions given here have made most pretty frickin' happy in their audio journey.
    um er ah...let's just say I ain't gonna feel embarrassed having friends over and putting some high fidelity into their heads!

And no, I don't go around bashing others choices in gear, but when someone wants to power a pair of RTiA9s with a Denon 1516...I get a little concerned why a year ago I wouldn't of known better...oh yeah, found this place.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Wow, what the heck happened in here?

Dan, how dare you ask an innocent question!!!

Jesse, what the heck is a pab?? Piece a bologna? Lol, c'mon Jesse, everyone knows salami is the way to go :D

Emotiva?? Yes, they are crap equipment, you are scum of you own them........wait, I own three Emo amps, okay, never mind on bashing part :D

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig

Jesse, what the heck is a pab??
    LOL....no idea, but I know a BOZO when I see one posting.

hehe, I didn't know what pab was either. I had to look it up. apparently it means punk a** b*tch.

man, that whole thing got weird and out of hand real quick. unfortunate. I didn't get the impression that anyone was being intentionally or unreasonably critical or meaning insult or intending anything other than helping him get the most out of a set of A9's instead of ending up with buyer's remorse due to other system factors. I don't know, I guess some people just want big loud speakers and don't really care how they sound. he was probably using a Squeezebox, anyway. or a Denon 1516.

I do know one thing though - I'm pretty sure he went out in search of cats to run over after this, though. good job, guys.

- msg

^^^That is hilarious!!!

Yeah, it got weird fast alright!! He did mention he was in S.A. That's where I'm from, normally folks skin isn't that thin, he must be a transplant.

Home Theater-7.2

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig

Thread Information