Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Default Ugh...I bought a Bose

I thought this would make a nice followup thread to the thread I created a few years back when I bought my first Mac, as I've now purchased a pair of Bose MEI2i in ear headphones. Unlike the Mac purchase though this is not the start of a new relationship, this is a one time only thing.

I've been looking for a pair of IEMs that fit me well, literally for YEARS. I've been through probably 20 different pair of IEMs at this point costing thousands of dollars all together. I've tried everything short of the really expensive ($1000) custom IEMs. For my intended use as a daily driver that kind of money is just too much for a headphone that is likely to get tossed around or stepped on at some point. In my search I've found several headphones that sound great, but ultimately just weren't comfortable enough for extended wear.

I have two issues working against me: My ears are small and my ear canals are also pretty shallow with my eardrum closer to the surface than typical. So this rules out any IEM with a large housing and any IEM that has a long skinny tube that goes into the ear canal. Unfortunately, almost everything in the market has one of those two characteristics, something like an RHA has a nice shallow piece for the canal but a larger housing and something like the Etymotics have a nice small housing but a long canal tube. I've even tried the custom tips for the Etys and they weren't all that comfortable either, not to mention the quality issues I had with both my pair of Etys. Strangely, the Apple EarPods are the closest thing I've found to a comfortable IEM, but even their housing is too big and after an hour or so they hurt my ears and of course their sound isn't all that great.

So I was in Best Buy today and browsing through the headphone section when i saw the Bose display, and as I was instinctively walking past it something caught my eye. They had these little IEMs on display but there was this funky little white piece attached to the housing. The housing itself still looked too large for my ear but I was curious what the white piece was so did some quick research and came across info on how these things fit. They don't really go INTO your ears, they sorta rest in your ears the same way the EarPods do and don't actually insert much into the canal. The white piece is actually a piece of soft silicone or rubber that is shaped to match the ear and is what keeps them in place.

I decided to pick up a pair and see how well they fit me, and they're the most comfortable IEMs I've ever worn, by a significant margin. They just sit right in my ear, and after 3 hours this evening I have zero issues with comfort, I'm using the medium sized ear pieces. I cannot overstate how comfortable these things are to me right out of the box. There are some tradeoffs for the comfort though. They achieve that by not inserting fully into the ear which creates less of a sealed environment than other IEMs. This means they don't isolate quite as well and while I actually prefer this, they wouldn't be great on an airplane. There is a noise canceling version of this phone called the QC20 though that supposedly has great isolation and, from what I can tell, fits the same way. The other tradeoff is sound quality, but not as bad as you'd think.

The sound on these is actually pretty good, better than I imagined it would be, but these aren't what I'd call a true Hi-Fi product. The high end is a bit rolled off and the bass can be a bit much if you don't get the proper fit in your ear, but other than that the sound is pretty good. They have a pretty balanced sound, though a tilt towards the warmer side of things. The stereo image is surprisingly good as well, above average for what I've found in most IEMs near this price range. Ultimately these are on par with other most other $100 IEMs but don't sound as good as the best of those, I'd say they have average sound for the price range they're in.

I won't be using these at home where I've obviously got much better sounding gear, but for on the go and in the office at work they'll work just fine. I run these on an iPod Classic with the treble booster EQ preset (yeah I know EQ is for the devil) playing 256k files (I know, I know...). I've no delusions that these are a great sounding IEM, but I'm pretty damn pleased with the portable rig now, and the extreme comfort I get is well worth the small sacrifice in sound quality.

I won't be rushing out to buy more Bose gear, but these were a surprisingly good find.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (10)

All that matters is that YOU like them... As much as I hate Bose, in my wifes new car (Mazda CX5), the Bose system sound surprising good.
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX01 AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Sony CDP-C8ESD CDP, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's

Member Sales Rating: (20)

The Bose in our Infiniti is also actually pretty good. It's not the best stock car stereo that I've ever heard, but it's the best I've ever owned. It's good enough that I'm not 100% sure yet that I want to go through the trouble of upgrading it.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    The Bose in our Infiniti is also actually pretty good. It's not the best stock car stereo that I've ever heard, but it's the best I've ever owned. It's good enough that I'm not 100% sure yet that I want to go through the trouble of upgrading it.
    Agreed, I am there in my Murano. It does get really "LOUD" but then its a clusterF&*K of sound as it loses any seperation. But for just jamming in the car w/ the windows down, sunroof open to the radio it works fine.

I have given up on "high" fidelity in the car.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

What do you know Cory, you're just a track junkie :)

Glad you finally found something that works!!
    Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    I have given up on "high" fidelity in the car.
    It happens. I gave up when we started searching for a house.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I've never experience 'high fidelity' nor wanted for it in "any" car I've owned. But I have heard some vehicles equipped with BOSE sound and they're not bad. Of course I don't have a state of the art, super-tricked out car with those contest winning multiple subs (and 10K watt amps) that leave NO TRUNK space in your car. lol You boys, KNOW who you are!!

I'm not surprised that BOSE might produce some passable in ears, and from what I hear, no one does noise cancellation quite as well as the BOYSE!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

^ I resent that last comment as I prefer to represent it..

Just ask Dave
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

First Mac, now Bose? Pretty soon it'll be import lagers and funny soundin' cigars. Hipster.
    Home Theater- 5.1/DTS bliss-- Source: Sony BDP-S790; Pre/Pro: Golden Theater GTX-1; Amplifiers: Golden Theater GTA-1; Speakers: Main: RTi6's, Center: RTi6's, Surround: RTi12's, Sub: KSW-12Video: RCA Scenium rear projection 52" @ 1080i.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Not Hipster, Cigar Aficionado!

cnh
    Attached Images  
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

I like Bose. I don't know why they get slammed all the time. I've heard worse.
    I use these Bose TP-1A over the ear headphones at work. I just bought new earpads for them.

- msg

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

I own a pair of Bose OE2's. They may not offer much in terms of fidelity, but they aren't awful sounding. More importantly, they are easily the most comfortable headphones that I've ever worn.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Zero; 03-20-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Default it's ok

It's ok we all make mistakes. I remember hearing the noise canceling headphones had and everything was wrong when listening to them. The beats are worse though.
    Pioneer 521-K
    Polk monitor 70's Fronts
    T15's Rear(upgrading to the monitor 30's)
    CS1 center(upgrading to the CS2)

Thread Information