Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sound City

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Sound City

I just watched the documentary Sound City, and it's absolutely awesome! A must watch if you haven't seen it, tons of great artists and has an awesome sound track. It's on Amazon on demand and VUDU, definitely worth renting/buying. Anyone else seen it?

Attached Images  
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

I just bought and downloaded the other day. Absolutely incredible set of stories, memories, and history. And the origins of so much of my music collection....
    Polk 5jr+
    B&K Ref. 200.2
    NAD 116
    Keces DA-131
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, AQ King Cobra
    AMD 8350 @ 4.8 Ghz.

I got the blu ray and vinyl when it came out. Very cool movie and soundtrack.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Love it. Saw it on Palladia a ways back. Bought the Blu-ray & vinyl. Also picked up music from some of the featured artists. Fear anyone? If you don't own The Record, check it out!

Sounds interesting, will have to check it out tonight wife gone for the weekend lots of time for stuff like this.

Thanks for posting the link.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by DaveHo View Post
    Love it. Saw it on Palladia a ways back. Bought the Blu-ray & vinyl. Also picked up music from some of the featured artists. Fear anyone? If you don't own The Record, check it out!
    That sound comes out if his face man...lol
    VTL Compact 100 mono blocks, Casta Acoustics Model A's, VTL 5.5 Preamp,Audio Note L3 Phono Stage with audio Note AN-S2 Step Up,HiDiamond H5 Speaker Cables,McCormack DNA 500 ,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT/Technics SL-1200Mk2,Ortofon Cadenza Red/

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Very well done. Highly recommend it.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by B Run View Post
    I just watched the documentary Sound City, and it's absolutely awesome! A must watch if you haven't seen it, tons of great artists and has an awesome sound track. It's on Amazon on demand and VUDU, definitely worth renting/buying. Anyone else seen it?

I remember these old Kustom rigs with the thick blue metalflake vinyl padding,lol!

I now know what I'm doing this weekend!

G
    Mains Polk SDA SRS 2 (modified) Sub M&K MX-100
    Power Pass Aleph 30 & Adcom GFA 5802
    Power Conditioner Furman Elite 15 PF i
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    Center Definitive Technology C-1
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    Pre Cary SLP-98 Hot Rod
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Source Oppo 105
    Wires MIT S3.3

Member Sales Rating: (49)

I watched it weeks ago and I loved it!!

Dave Grohl is everything a rock star should be, he is very true to himself..
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    Dave Grohl is everything a rock star should be, he is very true to himself..
    +1 That dude is awesome
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

Exactly! I know some hate him. I don't understand why. He seems to have the knack for getting artists of different generations & genres together. The result is usually spectacular.
    Last edited by DaveHo; 03-21-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Nice documentary for anyone recalling those days or young ones catching up on musical history of the era. I'm glad that Grohl had the balls to save the Neve board. It takes someone with pockets as deep as his to simply service that beast....

Its not that good music can't be made today, its just that the musicians don't live in the studio actually playing the music anymore. They phone it in and the engineers spend the hours on the computer. No more musical synergy between musicians, just accuracy between notes. It is not the same.

Excellent doc! They play it on Palladia and VH1 Classic every once in awhile, for anyone that hasn't seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Gardner View Post
    Nice documentary for anyone recalling those days or young ones catching up on musical history of the era. I'm glad that Grohl had the balls to save the Neve board. It takes someone with pockets as deep as his to simply service that beast....

Its not that good music can't be made today, its just that the musicians don't live in the studio actually playing the music anymore. They phone it in and the engineers spend the hours on the computer. No more musical synergy between musicians, just accuracy between notes. It is not the same.
    +1

A couple years ago, there was a song that was popular, but I can't remember what it was. It was a male singer and it featured a female vocalist on this particular track. Someone interviewed the girl and asked what it was like working with the other artist. She replied, "I've never met him. He wasn't in the studio when I recorded my part." It's just plain sad how most music is made today. Especially how each instrument is recorded at different times, and the use of software that puts the vocals in perfect pitch. Don't get me started on these rich artists that make millions of dollars from lip syncing at their concerts.
    Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pioneer BDP-51FD | Pangea: AC-9SE, AC-14 PC's
    Monster PowerCenter HTS 5000 | Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100 | Dish HDTV
    Polk: RTi8 Towers, CSi5 Center, F/Xi3 Surrounds, CSi3 Single Rear | Polk Subs: PSW125-12", PSW303-8"
    Douglas Connection: Furez DCF124BW SC's | AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI | Monster: M850 SW-12, ULT I1000FO-4 IC's
    Acoustic Treatments OC703 | Dynamat: Components, Baskets

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I enjoyed it right up till Dave Grohl started in about saving the sound board, and spent a half hour on himself and recording with it.

I'm not a fan of Dave Grohl, I find him to be a bit self serving and a publicity hound.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivrrat View Post
    I enjoyed it right up till Dave Grohl started in about saving the sound board, and spent a half hour on himself and recording with it.

I'm not a fan of Dave Grohl, I find him to be a bit self serving and a publicity hound.
    Not a FF fan huh? I don't know of too many artists esp. drummers that had a run like Nirvana did and then pull off fronting a completely different type of band to nearly as much success. Pretty rare air he runs in.......

For those who haven't seen it.

Sound City
    Palladia, Tue 5/6, 7pm est
    Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pioneer BDP-51FD | Pangea: AC-9SE, AC-14 PC's
    Monster PowerCenter HTS 5000 | Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100 | Dish HDTV
    Polk: RTi8 Towers, CSi5 Center, F/Xi3 Surrounds, CSi3 Single Rear | Polk Subs: PSW125-12", PSW303-8"
    Douglas Connection: Furez DCF124BW SC's | AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI | Monster: M850 SW-12, ULT I1000FO-4 IC's
    Acoustic Treatments OC703 | Dynamat: Components, Baskets

Check it out yall.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Saw it the other day on Palladia, great doc! I can't believe all the good music that came outta there. Rock on Dave
    -In house-
    ~Speakers: Polk Monitor 12 Series 2 / Monitor 10B / Monitor 7 / Monitor 5B / Monitor 5 series 2 / Monitor 5Jr / CS245 / RT25
    ~AVRs: Pioneer SC 1222-K / Onkyo Tx-Sv535
    ~Recs: Yamaha A-520 / Yamaha RX-385 / Denon PMA-880R (Japan)
    ~CDPs: Yamaha CD-50 (Japan) / Yamaha CDC-502 / Yamaha CDC-555
    ~Tape Deck: Yamaha KX-390

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Gardner View Post
    No more musical synergy between musicians, just accuracy between notes. It is not the same.
    Well said.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Thread Information