Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by Fongolio View Post
    I just put a NAD 1130 preamp in my system and after only a day I'm very impressed with it. It was very inexpensive and it's a definite improvement over my re-capped Carver C-1 pre-amp. I'm using a Carver TFM-45 for amplification at the moment. The Nad/Carver combo is very nice. Very warm yet very detailed for solid state gear.
    Basically how I'm understanding my new sound. Very warm and detailed. Such a pleasure to listen to hour after hour. I've been playing with my new DAC. I got a new Thread about the DAC
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...-Nad-d1050-dac
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Just recently bought my first NAD gear. Two C275 amps from Spearit Sound and a C162 preamp (just won on eBay last night). I'll be running the C275s monobridged into LS90s, or may experiment with vertical biamping.

One of the C275s created a loud noise in mono mode. Spearit Sound has another one en route, even before they get one back from me. Great company - everyone I've worked with there has been very professional and courteous.

Can't comment on the sound until I get a chance to listen to the full set-up.

I noticed that NAD rates the power output on the C275s at a much lower distortion level than many other companies. I equate that to conservative power ratings.

As far as looks go, they are plain Jane as it gets, but that does not bother me at all. I personally don't care to have components draw attention to themselves visually.
    Polk LS90
    Polk CS400i
    Polk FX500i
    Outlaw LFM-1 Sub
    Polk Monitor 7C (secondary location)
    Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX
    Audiosource Amp Three (2), Amp One/A (1)
    Cambridge Audio C500 Preamp
    Sony 222ES CD/SACD
    MSB Nelson Link III DAC with P1000 Power Supply, Music Hall DAC 25.2
    Squeezebox Classic
    Sony BDP-S1000ES
    JVC DLA-HD250 Projector
    Da-Lite HCCV - 100" Permwall 16:9
    Time Warner HD Cable
    Panamax 500 DBS
    MIT, Blue Jeans, AR, Outlaw Cables
    System Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Last time I heard a lot of NAD stuff, was about back in 1990. Loved the sound, and quality. But honestly did not find it to be better or worse than the fairly decent HK stuff of the same era.

I owned and loved a 370 integrated. I think the later NAD sound tends toward the revealing and analytical side, rather then the warmer sound of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Christo View Post
    I owned and loved a 370 integrated. I think the later NAD sound tends toward the revealing and analytical side, rather then the warmer sound of the past.
    It still retains the warm natural sound of sound if you will. It doesn't have that Sterile transistor Solid state sound.
    Analytical? Yeah you could say that as the detail and transparency is amazing especially in this price range. I find NAD equipment to be very Satisfying for hours of listening. One thing I'm a but surprised in is the power rating vs actual power this T977 amp has. It has scary power. I still say it's greatly under rated at 140 by 7. It responds like a 200-250 watt per channel with basically limitless dynamic range. Give it to it and it gives it to you back with plenty of head room. Pretty amazing amp. I'm really liking it.
    Dan

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Nice write up Dan, I myself have never heard any Nad gear, not that I know or remember anyways, but I do agree on the looks. Adcom was and is the same way with the exception of the 750 pre. But I think the Nad gear of today is much better looking then the adcom gear.

The looks of Outlaw is what I find down right ugly though. Would be fine for a garage setup..
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christo View Post
    My NAD 375 BEE's detailed/revealing side makes it a good match to my LSi7. My HK 3480 actually makes the LSi7 sound bright and fatiguing. But many describe the HK 3490/3480 a warm sounding receiver.

Well, my first and only NAD experience was a nightmare.

Three out of four C275BEE amps had issues - one with distortion in bridged mode, one DOA, and one with a right channel that faded in stereo mode. These were all refurbs from Spearit Sound. Spearit Sound was great to work with through all the issues, by the way. I originally wanted to use 2 in bridged mode, gave up on that, and then could not get 2 working amps to use in a vertical bi-amp config.

The C162 pre I bought used had a hiss-like side from the chassis (with no other gear connected) that could be heard from my listening position. It also produced substantial hiss from my speakers when everything was connected.

I was able to return it all and am going with Rotel. Already have a RC-1580 pre, and will be picking up a RB-1582 MKII amp from a local dealer in the next few days. So far, I'm happy with the Rotel pre - very quite and substantially built. Looking forward to hearing it with the Rotel amp.

I really wanted to go NAD, so was very disappointed with all the issues. May have just been very unlucky, but I can't see myself ever buying NAD gear again.
    Polk LS90
    Polk CS400i
    Polk FX500i
    Outlaw LFM-1 Sub
    Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX
    Sony 222ES CD/SACD
    Squeezebox Classic
    Sony BDP-S1000ES
    JVC DLA-HD250 Projector
    Time Warner HD Cable
    Panamax 500 DBS
    System Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
    Well, my first and only NAD experience was a nightmare.

Three out of four C275BEE amps had issues - one with distortion in bridged mode, one DOA, and one with a right channel that faded in stereo mode. These were all refurbs from Spearit Sound. Spearit Sound was great to work with through all the issues, by the way. I originally wanted to use 2 in bridged mode, gave up on that, and then could not get 2 working amps to use in a vertical bi-amp config.

The C162 pre I bought used had a hiss-like side from the chassis (with no other gear connected) that could be heard from my listening position. It also produced substantial hiss from my speakers when everything was connected.

I was able to return it all and am going with Rotel. Already have a RC-1580 pre, and will be picking up a RB-1582 MKII amp from a local dealer in the next few days. So far, I'm happy with the Rotel pre - very quite and substantially built. Looking forward to hearing it with the Rotel amp.

I really wanted to go NAD, so was very disappointed with all the issues. May have just been very unlucky, but I can't see myself ever buying NAD gear again.
    Sorry you had these issues with NAD. But I can tell you after Installing and owning NAD for many years now, they make very good high quality gear. They have for many years and why I have a full stack now including a external DAC.
    I also owed Rotel twice and honestly I don't think I'll ever go back to them until they build a good quality Home Theater preamp. I haven't liked them since the came out with the RSP1069. This is a personal opinion not Professional.
    Sound quality they are a bit different. I think I prefer the sound of NAD over Rotel only because they seem a bit warmer and slightly more dynamic.Dynamic's is one strong point of NAD. They seem to have no end, limitless if you will. I damn blew myself out of my room with the T977 amp. It's an effin beast. It's rated at 140 watts by 7 but it performs like a strong 200+ model amp. The current drive on it is amazing , thats a place I would compare it to Bryston which has the same approach to amps , that limitless dynamic range . Nothing I like more in amp.
    Dan

Mantis, as I was dealing with all the issues, I did listen to a single C275 with my LS90's and thought it sounded great - more than enough amp to drive them with ample dynamics and a balanced sound.

The problem was the bad taste all the QC issues left. I was just not willing to try a 5th amp in order to get 2 good ones. I was also concerned that the good one would fail early.

Glad NAD gear has worked for you though.
    Polk LS90
    Polk CS400i
    Polk FX500i
    Outlaw LFM-1 Sub
    Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX
    Sony 222ES CD/SACD
    Squeezebox Classic
    Sony BDP-S1000ES
    JVC DLA-HD250 Projector
    Time Warner HD Cable
    Panamax 500 DBS
    System Showcase

Nad is known for quality issues, but I thought they had figured that out over the last 5 years or so. That's two members know who have had recurring issues with newer nad gear.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

I've never owned any NAD products but I do remember them being highly regarded back in the 70's ,80's and 90's.

Hi,

Thanks to Mantis and all posters for the usefull information found in this thread.

I have also a NAD-187 and a NAD T-977. I use them to drive a pair of B&W 802 for the fronts, a pair of B&W AW-1and a B&W DB1 subwoofer.

I would like to bi-amp my front speakers in such a way that I use 2 amplifier channels for the left speaker and 2 amplifier speakers for the right channel. I've been told that the NAD AV receivers can be configured that way, however, I fail to find the option on the NAD T-187.

Can someone help me ?

Thanks !!

All you have to do is Y out the outputs to the channels you want to use.
    Dan

I've been comparing the NAD T187 and T977 with the Classé Audio SSP800 and CA5300. Now, the later costs 4 times more so it is not an honest comparison.

However, I did it and I found out the following.

The NAD, in my opinion plays on par with the Classé. The music that is produced is very detailed by both of them and very beautiful and entertaining to listen too.

The difference of both lies in the "bass" that is produced. On the Classé, the bass produced by the B&W 802 is overwhelmingly powerfull and is very very present; On the NAD, bass is lacking (compared) to the Classe. However, the NAD does play very well and also very loud and at the higher volumes, there is bass that is produced but this bass is not as present than the Classé.

Now, I added a DB1 to my system and the B&W sub does a good job in remedying the lack of bass produced to an extend that both solutions are comparable. They do sound differently and my preference seems to go out to NAD solution with B&W 802 and DB1 over the Classe with only 802. There still is a 10000 EUR price difference in favour of the NAD.

Now, my goal is to make this NAD B&W 802 system play better, especially regarding bass.

So, I ordered "Y" parts.
    So, If I get it right, I need to plug an "Y" cable splitter on the pre-amplifier for the left channel and one for the right channel.
    Then I go with 4 cables coming from the "Y" splitter to the amplifier in order to use 4 amplifier channels.
    2 channels will be used for the left speaker and 2 for the right. For each side, I will use a speaker cable to power the bass driver, and one cable for the mid and high drivers.

The T-977 has the possibility to level the 7 channels on the back of the amplifier with a little turning knob. I was thinking of giving more power to the bass channels by leveling the channels as such that the bass channels play a bit louder.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome :)

Thanks for the remarks I already received.

OK, I got the Y connectors installed so my T977 is bi-amping the B&W 802 speakers now.
    The result ?
    Well, the bass response is better but...not yet perfect. The overall sound production of the 802s improved, also on the mid-range and also on the bass drivers. I still don't get the warm fat bass that a Classe produces, this may be due to the fact that the 802s needs some time to play in.
    Overall, the speakers respond better. The extra power that goes into them does do them good.

SO, do you need to go for bi-amping with the NAD T977 ? My answer is YES.
    Will you get the performance of the Classe CA-5300 ? My answers is NO. The music produced is very very nice, but the bass is lacking.
    Will the speakers improve over time ? I think so.
    Is the NAD T977 a good option to drive the 802s ? In my opinion yes, but, do hook on a B&W DB1 as well.

Hope this helps ;)

hello I purchased a m25 but mine does not have a thx logo on the front I was wondering if yours does thanx david?

Quote Originally Posted by DAVID SCHOTT View Post
    hello I purchased a m25 but mine does not have a thx logo on the front I was wondering if yours does thanx david?
    I do not know the answer, but your screen name makes me feel like I am being yelled at...

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I gave you a response in your original thread. Is there e reason you want to thread-jack this one instead of posting in your original?

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...on-front-panel
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

New convert here. I never really seriously heard or even looked at their gear. Famous for using their grey color which is fine and just today I got a NAD 1020A pre/amp. So far it is better than my Onkyo P3150v in tone response and does have a headphone jack on the front panel. I never used the ledge before but I think Sansui did it ages ago and again no problem w/ wiring it to a ledge instead of the back panel. Would I look into more modern NAD gear, yes but I do not need anything else right now.
    2chl- Adcom 555- NAD 1020a pre- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Samson - 9 outlet- Niles - 6 zone spkr selector- DCM TF 350s- ADC 303ax- KLH 331- Polk Audio '87 SDA 2Bs w/ ic cable (Dynamat extreme, black hole-5- Mills 0.5 resistor, liquid nails, RDO- 194 tweeters, Larry's rings, Armaflex gaskets, stained walnut tops )

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #500HD Speaker set- Sony ce 375 5 disc carosel cdp-

Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL J2060

I posted some time ago that in comparison with the Classe Audio CA-5300 the T-977 is a bit weak on the bass front.

I have to review this completely. I got more and more experienced with the T-977 and also with the T-187 pre-amplifier. I was up to a point to buy an extra power-amplifier to drive my B&W 802 speakers UNTIL.... I noticed and activated in the T-187 menu, on the dsp listenening menu, the Audyssey Dyn Eq option. By default, this option is off. Activate it and fall through your chair... You will have a round, deep but subtle bass drive...the one I was looking for.

As a matter a fact, I don't acitvate my DB1 subwoofer anymore for listening to music. The B&W's 802 can do that so well now with this option activated. They marvel and there is absolutely no lack of power anymore. All frequencies do deliver and give a briljant, crisp, cleart sound. with many accents on the mids and with an amazing underlying bass drive.

I hope this helps for the other NAD owners out there. Unless you activated this option, you don't know what fantastic gear you have in your living room :)

I see absolutely no reason anymore to buy more expensive gear.

Hello I purchased a m25 amp but it does not have the thx logo on the front face plate any thoughts why? It really plays well, using sony ta-es9000 pre/pro, really had to turn the treble and midrange down ! what is a blessing and a curse the sony pre/pro has so many EQ ajustments every dvd and audio source needs to be tweeked but that's all the fun. Former amp sony ta 9000es 5 channel. Running B&W 804's non diamonds mains B&W HTM2 center DENON 5910ci dvd sony dvp-s9000 es cd player sunfire sub monster cable htps7000 line conditioner.

I have an NAD 7140 receiver that has pleased me for many years. Recently, the volume pot became noisy and the speaker balance would occasionally favor one side over the other. After finally overcoming my fear and reluctance to get inside the case, I cleaned the chassis a tad and hit the volume/balance pot with some CRC tuner cleaner/lube. My joy has been restored. I like the simple, "no bells and whistles" approach of NAD and their simple cosmetics are easy on the eye. For my simple tastes, it is an entirely satisfactory piece of equipment.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Xaar View Post
    I see absolutely no reason anymore to buy more expensive gear.
    We don't "see" reasons....we "hear" them. If your completely satisfied, don't go listening to more gear.

Hello I purchased a m25 amp but it does not have the thx logo on the front face plate any thoughts why? .
    Because that Logo cost money, are you willing to pay an increased amount for that same amp just to have a logo on it ?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    We don't "see" reasons....we "hear" them. If your completely satisfied, don't go listening to more gear.
    You are so right.

And that is all the fun :) I will go out and listen....

On the other hand, the Classé Home Video setup cost around 18000 EUR. The NAD alternative around 4500 EUR. (retail)

Now, this is a big difference. I personally don't care how much it costs, but it needs to have a serious edge to it. Now, I did not hear it yet. I also have the impression that the Classe boosts the low frequencies and lower volumes, something the NAD does not do by default.

On the other hand, the class Home Video setup cost around 18000 EUR. The NAD alternative around 4500 EUR. (retail)

Now, this is a big difference. I personally don't care how much it costs, but it needs to have a serious edge to it. Now, I did not hear it yet. I also have the impression that the Classe boosts the low frequencies at lower volumes, something the NAD does not do by default.

Thread Information