Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

If my my memory serves me I do know of a few friends who went out and got Crown amps and pres. This was in the early/ mid 70's and have nothing to do w/ new pro Crown amps Now these were not the pro line and were the poor mans McIntosh w/ the industrial silver faced look. Here is 2 seperate lines and most of the time pro gear does not go well w/ room systems. Personally I never liked the way they looked and always wanted either a Mac 2100/ 2105 or a Phase Linear 400 of which I did not get either.

http://voices.yahoo.com/classic-crow...g-2702545.html

Crown is the name I always heard from DJ's, musicians, sound guys, etc as being "solid" in terms of quality and sound. I would bet there are recording studios still using the Studio Reference amps. However, today many studios are using very expensive gear when it comes to the signal and DAC and are even using amp brand s like Bryston, Krell, etc...and even tubes!

So, I have no doubt the Crowns will work for some in a HT closet rack but most of the 2 ch crowd will not touch them. Myself, I could not find a better value in a 750 watt x 2 4 Ohm rated amp for my sub project than a used EP2500. These amps measure well in terms of distortion and they meet specs....and modding the fan on a used amp is not a problem.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

It is debatable on whether an amp like the Harman DriveCore class-D technology (Crown XLS2500) reproduces music better than an amplifier intended for the home market. However, I doubt you would find better sound quality for the power, for the price. I would also point out that the Lexicon DD-8 uses the same DriveCore amplification for that home theater amp.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    I have no doubt some like pro amps in a home speaker environment. The same people who probably like that boom-boom in car audio....which is what they are good for, and subwoofer amps. They fall short on detail, layering of the music, soundstage, tone, things we actually like to hear in musical reproduction. Goes without saying a good source component and material would help in evaluation but those minor details are conveniently always left out.*

The OP asked specifically about pro amps with POLK speakers. Can only speak for myself but I have never heard a pro amp sound good on any Polk speaker...ever. Some use them of course, but mainly because they are looking for cheap alternatives and think mega watts alone equates to sound quality.
    tonyb & F1nut have admitted publicly that they have never heard a Yamaha PXXXXs series amplifier. They will remind me of my admitted hearing loss. They will insist that any "musical" amplifier must be hernia-inducing.

Others with a similar opinion will insist upon "popping the hood" of your pro amp (voiding your warranty in the process) to show you that it doesn't have transformers as big as their 85 lb "HCA-3500," or require 2 20-amp circuits to heat your domicile. Most are quite proud of the fact (and well they should be) that they can now own what was FOURTEEN years ago a $2500 state-of-the-art audiophile-quality (certified by Sterophile's Robert Deutsch • Published: Jan 5, 2000) which can now fetch $1450 via CL (+ replacement of 14YO caps by anyone with a Weller; CAUTION: UNPLUG BOTH "hand-made audiophile-grade AC power cords" before adjusting bias !!!!!!)

Product Lines > Discontinued Products > HCA-3500 2 Channel Amplifier:

"Yes, indeed! With a spirit of cooperation that should be a model for the industry, Stuart Taylor told Parasound technical ace Andy Murray about the exact changes made to the Bryston 9B-ST that eliminated the AC noise they had encountered in some applications. Andy sent me another sample of the HCA-3500, modified as per Stuart's suggestions, and, like magic, the AC noise was gone. The amplifier also sounded a bit smoother. With this problem out of the way, I could start listening again in earnest. All comments in the review about the HCA-3500's sound refer to the second, modified sample. I'm told that all current and future production of the HCA-3500 incorporates the modified grounding scheme.

. . . . . However, over time, and with numerous comparisons between the HCA-3500 and the Rotel RB-1090, I came to feel that the Parasound had a slightly forward sound, with a bit more upper-midrange/treble grain. These characteristics showed up as a somewhat etched quality on voices, massed strings, and the upper harmonics of trumpets, making the sound ever so slightly fatiguing over time"

http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/100parasound/

THESE TRUTHS OF SOUND

are rampant on many audio BBBs, not just here. You will have to Google far & wide before you find enough brave souls who'll don flame suits to bear the ridicule to share their appreciation of pro amplifiers. There will be daunting souls who will "pop the top" to replace a noisy fan with a quieter one . . . . . even photo-laden DIYs & part #s.

And here I will admit my failure . . . the WAF for a noisy fan was the downfall of my QSC-GX7 . . . .

and so, I bought the TOTL Yamaha P7000s, which F1nut would rate as "a waste of $," & then later admit, as did tonyb, they hadn't heardYamaha's 21st century exclusive EEEngine amplifier driving technology AND the resultant demise of Hurl-induced inguinal hernias (pun intended).

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global...y/eeengine.jsp

I, myself, venture out with great timidity on this don quixotal quest to point out that not everyone has a retired roadie to dust underneath their HT, or even 2-channel (!!!!), amplifier. I have even admitted to owning a Yamaha A-S2000 (50 lbs).

Should you choose to follow the tensegritic path of Carlos César Salvador Arana Castañeda, as I have, in finding the "cheap" (or was it "cheep"?) path to audiophile-quality amplification; PM me and use a clicker to count the crows along your journey.

*tonyb, can you fit all that on your tombstone? Myself, I intend to be cremated, my ashes scattered on a hillside with a westerly view of the RED SKY above a tributary of the Mississippi, & RIP knowing I will pass over the lips of everyone downstream until the hereafter days of tertiary treatment.

/sarchasm

Member Sales Rating: (13)

They will insist that any "musical" amplifier must be hernia-inducing.
    Wrong. There are many musical home audio amps that don't weigh a ton.

Others with a similar opinion will insist upon "popping the hood" of your pro amp (voiding your warranty in the process)
    Well, it is a good way to see the quality of the parts. Doing so also voids the warranty on any piece of home audio gear, so what's your point?

to show you that it doesn't have transformers as big as their 85 lb "HCA-3500," or require 2 20-amp circuits to heat your domicile. Most are quite proud of the fact (and well they should be) that they can now own what was FOURTEEN years ago a $2500 state-of-the-art audiophile-quality (certified by Sterophile's Robert Deutsch • Published: Jan 5, 2000) which can now fetch $1450 via CL
    Neither Tony or I own said amp.

I bought the TOTL Yamaha P7000s, which F1nut would rate as "a waste of $," & then later admit, as did tonyb, they hadn't heardYamaha's 21st century exclusive EEEngine amplifier driving technology
    I've never heard a Yamaha product that sounded musical, so based on their house sound I wouldn't expect your amp to sound any different, but as you noted I haven't heard your amp. Since you brought it up, if your hearing loss is in the upper range I could understand that you don't notice certain things.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Relax 4x, I'm not calling your baby ugly, simply stating my own experiences. No...haven't heard the amp you mentioned either but never said I did. Bottom line here....if you like pro amps in a home musical environment....rock it bro, who cares. All I can say for me, to my ears, I wouldn't even think about it based on what I've heard in the past. Maybe some have changed, maybe not....I dunno, but if it floats your boat like I said, roll with it. The OP asked for opinions, we gave it, both for and against, end of story.

BTW....my amp isn't a 14 year old stereophile pick that needs 2 20 amp circuits and doubles as a space heater. Though that might come in handy given the current winter. My amp is a Butler TDB 2250....hardly a blast furnace. LOL.

At the end of the day use whatever blows back your skirt, and listen to whatever you like regardless of format, compression, etc as long as it speaks to you.

Everyone else can kiss it.....

But dont expect everyone to agree with your opinion.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    At the end of the day use whatever blows back your skirt, and listen to whatever you like regardless of format, compression, etc as long as it speaks to you.

Totally agree!
    --Gary--

1Nut, you can address my by Joe.

I singled you & tonyb out because both of you are often the most adamant that pro amplifiers are "not musical" &/or "a waste of $." I might point out that everyone's music appreciation is based upon what's between their ears. I might note that I was required to take Music Appreication 101 to fulfill the liberal arts requirement for a BS in Biology. I later ran the sound board for Jazz Appreciation @ Wichita State. In both, the profs were accomplished Wichita Symphony musicians/conductors. I learned that the appreciation of music required understanding the concepts of the particular genre, before deciding it was not for your own tastes. I have no idea as to the amplicifaction used in those auditoriums; but I'm pretty sure the speakers were Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre systems. As they were in the 5 theaters I worked in, or managed, 1969-1974. I was Asst. Mgr of the Uptown Theatre, designed for Cinerama (& where I viewed a 70mm Super Panavision 70 mm print of 2001: A Space Odyssey at the age of 15).

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingcr6.htm

At this point in time, 61YO, & based upon my meager education, experience & $, I've adopted the philosophy that "musical" amplifier is an oxymoron (Webster's: a combination of words that have opposite or very different meanings). I come from the point of view that it's possible that a particular amplifier may not integrate with a certain source component, or speakers, but that it is more likely that it enhances flaws already present, particularly when it comes to speakers.

It the process of infinite Googling of the topic of amplifier topologIES, I came across a Q asked re: a certain new topology of an audio reviewer. His response was that, in his experience, audiophiles would progress through a succession of "ever better" amplifiers rather than switch speakers.

When I started browsing here on Polk (& other fora) in 2009 (having owned RT7s since since the early 90s; & many Polk component car sets) there was a fellow, Cornhulio (?), who was desecrating the RTi series by swapping out the "bright" tweeter (please correct me IF I'm wrong).

IMHO, the problem with the RTiA9s "bright" tweeter & overall sound was too little amplification. But, I don't recall anyone pushing the amplification power like current (pun intended, again) owners. I do recall what Cornhulio brought upon himself in his attempt to make the RTia line more "musical."

I think the Merry-Go-Round of eternal upgraditis is facilitated by ones access to equipment. IF you live in the "sticks," like I do, it really isn't easy to get on, or off, the ride.

I brought up the HCA-3500, because it IS often mentioned for POWER (350 wpc) appropriate for RTia9s (thinking neither you, nor tonyb, own those either, please correct me IF I'm wrong). From my Googling on pro amplifiers, I frequently saw the suggested ratio of watts:rated wattage as 1.5 to 1, or 750 wpc @ 8 ohms for the RTia9s rated 500. Further research led me to believe the price of admission for that wattage level (outside of the pro amp circuit) was astronomical. AFAIK, there are only 2 forum members who have stepped beyond the often cited 350 wpc, using Emotiva & in my case QSC & Yamaha. Again, I do not accept the concept of ""musical" amplifier" used to denigrate anyone using either brand.

http://www.google.com/#q=Cornhulio+site%3Apolkaudio.com

RE: my hearing loss in uppser frequencies

This became apparent 4-5 years after I spent the years 1992-1998 in classrooms (kindergarten, band, shop = you get the idea, w/out hearing protection).

As to your "I've never heard a Yamaha product that sounded musical, so based on their house sound I wouldn't expect your amp to sound any different,"

I first owned Yamaha starting with a CA600 in 1972. And certainly thought Yamaha sounded musical, then & now. Recent reviews of the A-S2000 certainly seem to indicate that Yamaha, a manufacturer of musical instruments, maintains a "musical house sound." Again, that perception lies between an individual's ears & to each his/her own perceptions.

I plan on having KSU's audiologist test my hearing again soon, & will be glad to post my hearing frequency chart (have been searching for previous tests). Would you be so kind as to do the same? Take this as a good-natured challenge, to quote Joni Mitchell:

"Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got
    Till it's gone"

*The Cinerama projection screen, rather than being a continuous surface like most screens, is made of hundreds of individual vertical strips of standard perforated screen material, each about 7/8 inch (~22 mm) wide, with each strip angled to face the audience, so as to prevent light scattered from one end of the deeply-curved screen from reflecting across the screen and washing out the image on the opposite end. The display is accompanied by a high-quality, seven-track discrete, directional, surround-sound system.

IF you haven't seen 2001: A Space Odyssey in 70mm, let Jack Benny in an exit door to avoid the SRO lobby, or put your ear up to the common door of your hotel room to eavesdrop on The David Grisman Quintet jamming after the concert . . . . well, you've missed out on some of the experiences I've collected in this lifetime. Collect & enjoy your own!

truer words have never been spoken....

tonyb - heard some nice comments on Butler

I enjoy gigging you guys, I would guess we're ~ same vintage.

Are you attending http://www.axpona.com/exhibitors.asp ?

4xoddic aka "Little Joe" IF you're old enough to remember Bonanza, that was a complement at one time.

No doubt we are the same...um...vintage. Who can forget Little Joe, died way too young. Axpona...nah, have things to do. I much prefer local hi-fi shops or friends own systems to listen and learn. Always something to learn in audio...always.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    I have no doubt some like pro amps in a home speaker environment. The same people who probably like that boom-boom in car audio....which is what they are good for, and subwoofer amps. They fall short on detail, layering of the music, soundstage, tone, things we actually like to hear in musical reproduction. Goes without saying a good source component and material would help in evaluation but those minor details are conveniently always left out.

The OP asked specifically about pro amps with POLK speakers. Can only speak for myself but I have never heard a pro amp sound good on any Polk speaker...ever. Some use them of course, but mainly because they are looking for cheap alternatives and think mega watts alone equates to sound quality.
    This type of comment is exactly why I created this thread. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not as well versed in high end purpose built HT equipment as I am in high end purpose built live audio, studio, and car audio equipment. BUT, if there's one thing I've learned it's that your eyes can deceive you, and your ears can fool you if you go into something with a prejudice towards one or the other. While cheap HT equipment is equal to cheap live sound equipment, the price point at which each is found is vastly different. The same goes for quality components. Still following me? Determining this point, inspiring an honest conversation, and proving a few old bogus common misconceptions wrong is what my goal was when creating this thread.

With that said one thing I am an expert in is car audio. Therefore I have a question for you, based on your comment. Explain to me how a high quality, well constructed Crescendo 3kwp amplifier (an excellent choice for a car audio amplifier that's filled to the brim with caps upon caps upon caps..) lacks the "detail , layering of the music, soundstage, tone, things we actually like to hear in musical reproduction." that you proclaim a non HT amp cannot reproduce? Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not a prejudiced statement made on your behalf.. And quite a foolish looking one now? Understandably so, but I'd like to see you admit it first ;)

Thank you all for showing up to class today, but I have to wipe this chalk off my hands and get to bed :)
    Too many good quotes to list..waiting for some fresh ammo. :)

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Epic fail.......car audio is NOTHING like home audio, so don't come in here trying to school the masters.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by villian View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not a prejudiced statement made on your behalf.. And quite a foolish looking one now? Understandably so, but I'd like to see you admit it first ;) :)
    LOL...of course it's prejudiced....based on personal experiences though, not something read on the web. Whats so foolish about not liking the way something sounds....with any piece of gear ?

Like F1NUT stated above, car audio and home audio are 2 different animals....pro audio being another. Maybe you missed the part where I said "who cares" ? If it floats your boat then roll with it, but for me...personally...you couldn't give me one for free.

I have compared my Inuke 6000 to the HCA 3500 I also own and did not like how it sounded on higher frequency information. It sounded bright and not nearly as clean.

I am not a big fan of class D amps they are hard to work on and start to fall on there face in the higher end of the spectrum.

But if all amp classes sound the same try a nice class c amp and tell us how it sounds. Each class has good and bad that come with it I learned this in electronics.
    Absolute corruption empowers absolutely.

Lg 55LW5600 TV
    Onkyo PR-SC 5508
    Legacy Audio Focus SE
    Legacy Audio Silverscreen HD center
    Polk F/X500i Rears
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Sunfire Grand Cinema
    Behringer iNUKE NU6000DSP
    Pair of CraigSUB SS-18.1

This type of comment is exactly why I created this thread..........................Thank you all for showing up to class today, but I have to wipe this chalk off my hands and get to bed :)
    At least you are right up front about being a troll. Most deny that they ever meant harm. The first couple of posts are always made to appear as questions about Polk gear comparing different models, and once replies are coming regularly, the pro-amp vs home amp, car sub slam vs HT sub depth, car amp with battery/charger/converter vs home amp threads start to drop.

Take a number and stand behind those that paved your way........most can be identified in forum searches for the same types of questions and many of those that joined for that purpose will now have the word "banned" under their screen name in red.

Did you grow up criticizing your new friend's momma's living room furniture on the first visit to his house or wait until the second week?

Oh yeah, please excuse my rudeness.......welcome to CP. now where is that ignore button again?
    Last edited by Dennis Gardner; 03-29-2014 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phasewolf View Post
    . Each class has good and bad that come with it I learned this in electronics.
    This is true...but maybe you should re-phrase that to something like " each class has different faults to overcome". Which many do by offering different implementations and designs of said class. However some don't too. Many variables involved so it's hard to poo-poo one class over another. For me...I've yet to hear a class D amp I like....notice I said "yet"....so you guys with class D amps don't send me Jihad letters.

Audiophile

I decided to put my money where my mouth is (has been), and picked up a Crown XLS1500. On my 4ohm speakers, this amp puts out a conservative 500wpc, runs very cool, and the fan has not turned on once; the amp is enclosed in a A/V cabinet and left on 24/7. Driving it with a B&K PT-3ii, there is plenty to gain, no buzz/hum/hiss, and the sound is not bright or harsh. Maybe it's the combination with the warm B&K, but the amp is clear, clean, and dynamic. It only has a few hours on it, but I'm already impressed by how much clean power you can get for the money.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

I have tried Crown's XTi1002 and 2002 on a few different pairs of speakers.

They sounded OK on a pair of low efficiency speakers, but the fans were cranking after a little while.

Used actively on high efficiency(98db) lower mids, woofers, and subwoofers the fans never kick on and they sound fine. Although they're quiet enough(noise floor) to use on the 118db coaxial compression driver, I prefer my other amps on them.

If you plan on driving a HT to reference levels and have a separate space to keep your amps to avoid fan noise, then you may be ok with pro amps.

For 2 channel I would lean towards a home based amp as Crown's higher quality offerings will cost just as much if not much more. Plus with a home amp, there will be issues with gain structure(single ended to balanced), remote turn on, etc...
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    For 2 channel I would lean towards a home based amp as Crown's higher quality offerings will cost just as much if not much more. Plus with a home amp, there will be issues with gain structure(single ended to balanced), remote turn on, etc...
    Good point, although it is a lot of power for the money. Right now I have the XLS1500 on a pair of inefficient Jamo HT speakers driving above 80Hz, and it's a good pairing. However, I'm sure the frequency cut-off helps keeps the fans off, and I do have the gain on the amp set at 3 o'clock with the preamp hovering around -30dB for average listening. That preamp will give another 40dB in volume, so I may readjust the two again, but I've haven't bothered because there isn't any noise.

I occasionally watch a movie with the playback volume set to “0” on my Pioneer SC-07 THX Certified Receiver, & experience every sound element exactly like it was produced by the filmmaker—with the same fidelity, detail and clarity. Since using the SC-07's FR & FL pre-outs thru RCA -> XLR inputs on my Yamaha P7000s (attenuated - 3.0 dB) I have found the sound to be improved over the SC-07's rated 140 wpc.

At no time have I ever heard the P7000s' fans come on, but then this is in my 19' X 11' X 8' HT.

For 2-channel, I've found I prefer to listen @ < 84 dB @ 14' 9" from the RTia9s. They are certainly much more "musical" with the P7000s' 700 wpc as compared to the SC-07's 140 B&O class D. Of course, I have to get up & flip the rocker switch on this pro amp to "ON."

The P7000s cost me $599.95 w/3 yr Yamaha warranty from an authorized dealer, the Guitar Factory. That seems to be ~ 1/2 of any 700 wpc @ "home based amp" I've looked over. But then it's NOT Class D, there is no pulse width modulation using Yamaha's EEEngine (Energy Efficient Engine) Class AB topology. The signal remains analog from input to output,

Have been listening to the David Grisman Quintet DGQ-20, 1989-1996 disc @ 94 dB, but scaled it back to a less damaging level w/peaks of 89 dB on the RS SLM.
    Last edited by 4xoddic; 04-01-2014 at 02:51 PM.

^^^4xoddic^^^How do you power the remaining channels of your HT?

Quote Originally Posted by zingo View Post
    I decided to put my money where my mouth is (has been), and picked up a Crown XLS1500. On my 4ohm speakers, this amp puts out a conservative 500wpc, runs very cool, and the fan has not turned on once; the amp is enclosed in a A/V cabinet and left on 24/7. Driving it with a B&K PT-3ii, there is plenty to gain, no buzz/hum/hiss, and the sound is not bright or harsh. Maybe it's the combination with the warm B&K, but the amp is clear, clean, and dynamic. It only has a few hours on it, but I'm already impressed by how much clean power you can get for the money.
    I do not have experience with pro amps. April fools or?

Halen
    Music || Chord Hugo DAC | Usher 777 DMD | B&K Ref | High Rez Digital |
    Movie || SMX ProCurve 2.35 1.30 | Seymour CenterStage xD AT Screen | JVC DLA X500 |
    Garage || LSIM 705 | NAD | Sony CDP |

Member Sales Rating: (31)

No April fools.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

The CSia6, 2 FXia6 & 2 rear RTia9s are all powered off the Pioneer SC-07. No sub. Jeff Beck Live @ Ronnie Scott's blu-ray is FANTASTIC.

Ender, couldn't agree more. My modest non-audiophile rig...turns my crank. I don't give a rip what someone else thinks of it. I'm the only one the system should answer to.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Quote Originally Posted by 4xoddic View Post
    The CSia6, 2 FXia6 & 2 rear RTia9s are all powered off the Pioneer SC-07. No sub. Jeff Beck Live @ Ronnie Scott's blu-ray is FANTASTIC.
    That disc is the worth the price of admission just to see Tal Wilkenfeld on the bass for a couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Gardner View Post
    That disc is the worth the price of admission just to see Tal Wilkenfeld on the bass for a couple hours.
    Most definitely !

I searched but couldn't find anything outside of everyone bashing Crown for no given reason..with no facts to back up the bashing.
    DJ $
    You will find a lot of that around here. Try and stay away from certain people's advise on this forum. The people who post on EVERY THREAD, and always have an answer to every question. Ya, you want to stay away from these people. Stay away from advise from people who have never used the product about which you are inquiring. Many of the "regulars" on these forums REALLY like to see their words all over the screen. They will offer their strong, and many times short and curt takes without thorough understanding of the subject, and all for the sake of getting another post under their belt.

Just use your brain. If someone spends 24 hours a day on this site answering every question that is asked, they are either extraordinarily informed, or are something else.

Like when you ask for specifics, and make it clear that you are tired of getting the same old answers, free of facts and full of opinions and inuendo, and then someone answers like this;

"Think about this, why you don't run pro DJ speakers in your HT rig and you'll have the answer about pro amps."

My guess is that this was not even close to the kind of feedback you were looking for. I would be very surprised if this poster ever owned a pro amp, or used one in a HT with Polk speakers...but here he is, offering his experience.

Real people, who live real lives, don't have the time to handcuff themselves to their computer 24 hours a day. Pay more attention to the information provided by people who DON'T post every day all day. People who post in their areas of expertise and experience.

If someone you come in contact with on here has an attitude like "this is my forum, and you are gonna have to go through me to get your information", you might want inquire elsewhere. Yes, some of these people actually think they are employed by Polk Audio.

Thread Information