Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

About the 50MM 1.8 lens, yep, it gets great reviews. Appears to manage stellar photos. Research into it for what I intend on using the T3i for it's not recommended. Sure it'll go great for close up shots like portraits etc. However shooting at car shows when honestly in most cases you don't have much in the way of choice for positioning one's self for the shot, the zoom capability is a requirement. And yes, I did try my buddies 50 1.8 around a parking lot this morning on his T3i and my T3i with the 18-55 on it for giggles to compare, the flexibility of the small zoom lens was more handy. Just the situation is all. I can honestly say the 18-55 is a compromise lens no doubt. Not to say I'd never get a 50mm lens, but for right now it'd be a waste of a perfectly good $150. $150 than can feed the budget for a bigger zoomer like the slightly used 55-250 IS with filter :)
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Oh I thought you had access to lenses to borrow. Not trying to spend your money.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    Oh I thought you had access to lenses to borrow. Not trying to spend your money.
    I do but see...I just got the camera Wednesday...tomorrow is kinda the official start of the show season and well...I wanna get the camera out n about tomorrow, so for now it's in idiot mode I know I know it's not ideal but it'll get me by tomorrows events quite well with the stock kit lens. And possibly pick up the used 55-250 tomorrow evening, been in touch with the seller and he's offered up a reasonable price for the lens and filter so I am gonna go for it. The learning, will have to occur during the weekdays between weekend car shows, there's a lot on the schedule this year so I fully expect the T3i to get some serious use :)
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Two comments, more or less in opposition to one another (as Emerson said - more or less - consistency is the hobgoblin of a small mind!)...

1) I find the DSLRs to be exceptionally easy to use as "point and shoots"; at least compared to the point & shoot digital cameras we've owned, their speed makes them much easier to use to get a good grab shot, IMO.

2) FWIW - and, mind you, I'm a lousy photographer! - for manual exposure, I like to practice with sunsets (e.g., short exposures and/or stopped down lens to accentuate the colors in the sky)... and, conversely, with a VR lens, one may be pretty adventuresome with long exposures.

This was with the WA zoom (no 'antishake') last Friday evening with a 2.5 second exposure @ f4.2, hand held! :-)

DSC_9206 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

I was trying to capture the mist rising above the brook at the bottom of the hill.

... and, a little earlier Friday night...

DSC_9203 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

1/640 of a second @ f 7.1 (what a weird aperture!)

Auto-exposure of the above would've blown out the sky in its attempt to properly expose the foreground.

EDIT: For auto shows, I would think that a WA lens would be more useful than a tele -- I think of lcars close together(?)
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 05-04-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Nice photos mhardy, very nice. I certainly have a lot to learn!. At car shows up here, the cars are usually spaced a good 4 feet apart at most shows. Enough room to doors to open wide and spectators to have a decent path between automobiles. also enough spacing to get decent photos of the cars but not ideal for the 50MM 1.8 and yeah I tried with my buddies T3i on Sunday, wasn't ideal at all for general shooting on the grounds, handed him his camera and went right back to my 18-55! And I think I've assembled a nice little kit here, yeah bought "accessories" lol and my bargain hunting came out in full force! Might also invest in a couple of Hoya three pack filter kits too, get three filters for a decent price, UV(c), Circular Polarizer and a ND-8 in one box with case., might be worth it.

T3i with the standard 18-55MM IS lens kit $380 after tax

Hoya 58MM UV(c) filter for above $28 after tax

Canon T1i/T2i/T3i/T4i/T5i accessory kit (nice sized bag with camera battery) $62 after tax

Canon EF-S 55-250MM IS lens $170 slightly used with a decent lens guard in place on the end of it, will be replaced with another Hoya UV(c) shortly. Just picked up this lens today.

So I think I did well for my first venture into DSLR land, now to just use the camera, learn what to do with it and produce some great shots.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Sounds good to me.

... maybe a 35 mm or 28 mm "prime" lens would be a useful adjunct?
    all the best,
    mrh

I love my wide zoom. I have the 17-40 L.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

sobs...wahhhhh at least I have a decent start....decent little camera, a couple of lenses and at least something good to throw the whole lot into! Just like my main audio system, this kinda thing doesn't happen overnight. I'm sure down the road I'll add a lens or three to the mix but with what I have now I can at least go out and shoot til my hearts content and get some rather great photos.

And every night I spend a half hour reading the manual, amazing what this "entry level" camera is capable of. I'm thinking this upcoming weekend go to a nice touristy type place with great views and just sit there with the thing and put it on M and have some trial and error with it even if it means killing both batteries in the process, can't hurt. They don't put "Beautiful British Columbia" on our license plates for nothing, this province out west here has some stunning scenery everywhere it seems.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Good move. Go out and shoot! Here are your top four agenda items:

1) Learn how to read the light meter.
    2) Learn how to bracket.
    3) Learn the basics of reading a histogram.
    4) Have fun!

Member Sales Rating: (28)

With APS-C, ~35mm is the "walk around" prime to have. It has roughly the equivalent aspect of 50mm using full frame. A 50mm prime is still nice to have, but I find it more useful for portraits. That's why I haven't bothered getting a newer AF 50. I have an old K-mount manual focus 50 F1.7 that is always in my bag. Last year, I finally caught a sale on Pentax's lightweight 35mm f2.4. It is a great focal length to have in your bag.

I would think for car shows, you'd want a fast wide zoom. Start saving for the 16-35 F2.8L? Just kidding...that should be something way down the road.

Do as others have mentioned. Learn the basics. Learn the controls. Learn exposure and how to use ambient lighting properly, tricks like fill flash, and at some point, save up for a good tripod. That is more important than getting a bunch of lenses.
    Last edited by billbillw; 05-06-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Also, seeing as you've got big eyes on lenses, let me give you some advice here. Quality over quantity, all day. The difference in the quality of your images using the good higher-end lenses is not subtle. Don't worry so much about having every millimeter of focal length covered. Get good glass! I've been shooting Canon SLR's for over 20 years, and I own 4 lenses. I have the 50mm 1.8, which every Canon owner should have. Then I have the 17-40 L lens, the 24-105 L lens, and the 400 prime L lens. The 400 is for when I do sports shooting, it's pretty special purpose. Otherwise, most of the time the 24-105 is on my camera. I have nothing longer than 105 before the 400. But with that lens, I can crop the image pretty tight after the fact and still end up with a damn fine photo. I'd rather have a few great quality lenses than have twelve budget lenses.

Actually I should mention that I do have the 70-200 L lens, but it's for sale, so I'm not counting that....

"a good tripod..." :-)
    heh.
    yeah, I concur...

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/

I can't afford one... my son has one, for his large format film (4 x 5) view camera.

We have a carbon fiber Manfrotto (and a couple of old-school aluminum Manfrottos) for cameras and spotting scopes -- I like them just fine.
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I love my wide zoom. I have the 17-40 L.
    Got my sights set on the Nikon 16-35 f4 VR wide angle.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...F4G-ED-VR.html
    I'm not saying she's a slut, but if her vagina had a password...it would be password.

hrm closest thing I can find to a 17-40 Canon lens is this thing...

http://www.londondrugs.com/Canon-EF-...igh%20to%20Low

That'll have to wait a while before I can afford that bad boy...but in other news, I am considering a bundle they have up here with a tripod, shutter remote and a 50mm 1.8 lens for about $160...maybe in a paycheque or two...
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Speaking of which, who wants to see the first really nice photo off the camera ? it's large...I'd post it here via photobucket but I don't want to tick people off with a slow loading page with a near 7Mb photo. PM with email address and I'll fire direct if anyone is wanting to see a nice pic of a brand new slightly lifted and wheeled up Dodge Ram.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    hrm closest thing I can find to a 17-40 Canon lens is this thing...

http://www.londondrugs.com/Canon-EF-...igh%20to%20Low

That'll have to wait a while before I can afford that bad boy...but in other news, I am considering a bundle they have up here with a tripod, shutter remote and a 50mm 1.8 lens for about $160...maybe in a paycheque or two...
    Umm, I would not bother with that bundle. Any tripod that's included with a 50mm F1.8 for that price has to be a very basic cheapie tripod. When I said save for a good tripod, I meant something that will last you through upgrades; something that is stable when you get a 300mm or larger lens on it; something that can be manipulated to point in any direction on just about any surface. I bought a Manfrotto more about 14 years ago and I'm still using it. Not sure what to recommend these days, but my old one is the 3001BPro, but I think that has been discontinued. I'm sure some of the others can make some current recommendations, but I would budget at least $150 for a tripod and possibly another $100 for a good ball head. Anything less will only frustrate you in the long run.

I'm still using my tripod that I bought 23 years ago, a SLIK U212. Nothing fancy but it's solid and still perfect.

In all seriousness, don't skimp on tripods. Light and sturdy -- if you cannot afford both, go for sturdy. It's a good investment; a good tripod will last for decades (or a lifetime, whichever comes first)!

Cannot go wrong with Manfrotto (old Manfrotto tripods in the US will be branded "Bogen", as Bogen imported them in the old days), Gitzo, Slik... all good.

In the 1970s I had a decent Velbon (not a high-end tripod by any means) that served us well for about 30 years.
    all the best,
    mrh

And now we have a 50MM 1.8 in the bag...just like audio, photography is a sickness...lol
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

I guess, but that lens is one of the smartest buys a Canon owner can make. You'll have a blast with that cheap little lens, wait until you see the background blur that thing will get you. Good purchase.

I guess, but that lens is one of the smartest buys a Canon owner can make. You'll have a blast with that cheap little lens, wait until you see the background blur that thing will get you. Good purchase.
    eh $120 Canadian for it wasn't too bad, plus I picked up a couple of Hoya filter kits, one to fit the 50MM lens (52MM $35) and a 58MM $40, both kits come with a UV(C) filter, Circular Polarizer filter and a ND8 filter, so all three of my lenses now all have UV filters and both 58mm threaded lenses can share the polarizer and ND filters and the little one has it's stuff. I "think" I am covering the basic bases here.

Sidenote, the kits...for both three packs each were less the cost of a SINGLE Circular Polarizer for either lens size...go figure?
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Yeah, but there are filters and there are filters. Every layer of glass is important. I have several Singh Ray filters. Check out the price of some of those. Worth every cent....

Yeah, but there are filters and there are filters. Every layer of glass is important. I have several Singh Ray filters. Check out the price of some of those. Worth every cent....
    ummmm yeah...I'll upgrade that stuff when I move from the entry level stuff I have, for now, I have gear that if it breaks or gets damaged as I learn the gear I won't be out too much. Just like my other hobby, baby steps and a start somewhere. But I do think I've got a decent start into DSLR, 3 lenses, filters, accessories that make sense. No, not trying to slam or promote trolling here lol. I think me and my T3i are gonna become the bestest of friends for learning how to make the camera do things I never thought possible. A tripod is on the list for the next purchase and a Speedlight down the road as well as some basic lens hoods. This stuff is actually fun to me, not only am I learning as I go along I get to play with some electronics that as a kid, the parental units said "DON'T TOUCH THAT!". I'm an adult now dammit, time to grow the "EF" up. Besides, the T3i takes incredible shots as I've found so far that put my SX150 to absolute shame.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Unless you're looking to do things like neutral density work or moonlit shots, things where you deliberately are trying for a very slow exposure, then I don't think you need to rush out to buy a tripod. If you're just looking to use a narrow aperture and are worried about shutter speeds being too slow for handheld, don't be afraid to boost up the ISO to compensate. The sensors have improved A LOT in the last few generations of cameras, and ISO speeds that once were too grainy now look gorgeous, and allow you to take shots with a ton of depth of field at a shutter speed fast enough to hand hold.

I took this shot last year with my 6D, at f/22, with a 22mm focal length at 1/50 sec at ISO 800.

Name:  IMG_1527 (1).jpg
Views: 62
Size:  139.7 KB

Remember your rule of thumb for hand holding - shutter speed should be faster than the inversion of your focal length. So at 22mm, as long as your shutter speed is faster than 1/22 second, you should be able to hand hold. I've taken shots at much higher than ISO 800 with little (if any) discernible grain.

Definitely not telling you that you shouldn't buy a tripod. But as others have advised, save your money and buy a good one. You won't regret holding off.

Unless you're looking to do things like neutral density work or moonlit shots, things where you deliberately are trying for a very slow exposure, then I don't think you need to rush out to buy a tripod. If you're just looking to use a narrow aperture and are worried about shutter speeds being too slow for handheld, don't be afraid to boost up the ISO to compensate. The sensors have improved A LOT in the last few generations of cameras, and ISO speeds that once were too grainy now look gorgeous, and allow you to take shots with a ton of depth of field at a shutter speed fast enough to hand hold.

I took this shot last year with my 6D, at f/22, with a 22mm focal length at 1/50 sec at ISO 800.

Attachment 97506

Remember your rule of thumb for hand holding - shutter speed should be faster than the inversion of your focal length. So at 22mm, as long as your shutter speed is faster than 1/22 second, you should be able to hand hold. I've taken shots at much higher than ISO 800 with little (if any) discernible grain.

Definitely not telling you that you shouldn't buy a tripod. But as others have advised, save your money and buy a good one. You won't regret holding off.
    Yeah, I'm going to hold off on the tripod for a while, but I've now got more glass than the standard 18-55 lens now and all lenses have filters on them. a nice bad that also has enough room for my Powershot SX150 and a pile of batteries for it (takes AAs) and other accessories and the all important manuals for the T3i set up, now I can simply go out and play with the DSLR and put it through it's paces. Lots to learn about aperture, shutter and ISO settings and I'm looking forward to what this camera can do. I do LOVE the ability to change the lenses at will though, very flexible. Then again...local store has a Sigma 150-500MM zoom lens but I digress, something like that is a future upgrade....well down the road :)
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

The 1.8 lens will be great for star shooting where you're at!
    Too many good quotes to list..waiting for some fresh ammo. :)

ooh... this looks nice!
    Here's what you need! ;-)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...F-16-35mm-Lens

all the best,
    mrh

mhardy...nice lens...gonna give me one for my birfday next month ? lol

Seriously, I'm just gettin the feet wet now. Been having fun just randomly shooting photos of stuff to get used to the camera and what it does, been fun so far and with three lenses to use it's been a nice round of discovery! However this week, it's time to start really listening to my system cause apparently new speaker cables are coming and I gotta be able to discern differences there.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Well the feet are wet now, and the thing about THIS hobby or interest is if I go to a reputable retailer here...looking at lenses it's best to have the camera with me as most are more than happy to grab any lens and allow me to snap it on my T3idiot (my nickname for it, so easy to use an idiot like me can do it) and let me fiddle with it, I like that as I've tried a few and found them to be less than capable performers. Also it's helpful if your not sure if a STM A/F will work with an older body (It does). Ah the joys of DSLR, I love it and what this camera is capable of!
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Thread Information