Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Just remember to learn what you are capable of. Don't get comfortable with the auto stuff, learn to shoot in M and get your learn on.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

....I always had Nikon equipment for 35 mm. I now use a Sony H5 prosumer digital camera. Friends and I formed a camera club for us old people. We settled on the Sony H5 for its choice of 3" lcd screen or ole style TTL view finder. My hands shake, so I like holding the camera to my head. Has a lot of pro features including infer red for night time focus in the dark. Has great auto settings and is a great starter into the wonderful world of Photography. Uses a Zeiss zoom lens 35mm to 428mm and can be had for under $100.00, used.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    Just remember to learn what you are capable of. Don't get comfortable with the auto stuff, learn to shoot in M and get your learn on.
    there was nothing like the old K1000 film camera's for learning on :)

an Speed = light

I've taken alot of sking and tubing pic on the water with just 100 speed film as there was enough light on the water in the bright sun to freeze the action just fine with 100 speed film.
    Last edited by voltz; 05-30-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Check out this website too, it's pretty helpful for beginners!

www.stopshootingauto.com
    Too many good quotes to list..waiting for some fresh ammo. :)

^^^^^
    good stuff there especially about the F/stop and how it relates to deep of field & shutter speed. (a must learn part of photography)

Ehhhhh I'm not on full auto all the time lol been fiddling with programmable modes and having fun....swiped my buddies 430EX II flash and fooling around with it on the shoe and remote firing in different locations....my god the differences in photos is wild! I'm actually having FUN learning what this T3i can do, thankfully it's with a memory card and not film or I'd of been through 30 rolls so far!
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I don't know how the Canon works, but my quick and dirty way to go manual with the Nikon goes like this. I take a picture with auto exposure and note the shutter speed and f-stop. I switch to manual and change (reduce) the shutter speed a stop or two - take a few shots and see what they look like; if I am feeling suitably ambitious, I'll do the same with the aperture. Since there's essentially zero cost per exposure, one may get pretty aggressive in playing with exposure -- I always felt kind of inhibited getting too creative with film due to the cost.

FWIW, my son has gotten pretty militant about setting exposures "by the seat of his pants", so to speak -- he says light meters are for wimps :-) On the bright side, a nice (mechanical) camera with a broken light meter is still 100% usable for him ;-)
    all the best,
    mrh

mhardy, that's the beauty of digital...fiddle, fire at will and delete the bad ones but remember what settings gave me the nicest output. Now comes time to add the larger more useful flash hehe the 430EX II is nice but for not a whole lot more I can get a 600EX-RT...decisions decisions!
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I'll typically take a shot using Aperture Priority, then check to see how the camera read it and go from there on manual.

I'm waiting for my Nikon 16-35 f4 wide angle lens to arrive this coming week. I'm going to start playing with filters. I have a circular polarizer, a .3 and .9 Neutral Density filters. The ND filters, i'll be checking out some local waterfalls and streams to get those long exposure shots with. The Circular Polarizer, i'm heading to NYC from the 20th to the 22nd and will be doing some wide shots from the Empire State Building.
    I'm not saying she's a slut, but if her vagina had a password...it would be password.

Thread Information