Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Does high quality digital cables matter?

I am a strong believer of "Cables does matter" I use MIT Shotgun S3's both for my IC's and SC's.
    I understand quality of cables make a lot of different wrt analog signal transfer. I hear the difference, I know the difference and there is no doubt about it.

But does this apply to digital cables like USB, HDMI etc.,?

No mater what the cable is , it just 1 and 0 's right? how does the quality of a cable effect in transferring this 1 and 0's

hope this is not a noob question but I am really curious.

While digital audio does use a very robust system, once the cables get long (let's say about 40 feet) you should use a cable from a good manufacture like maybe Belden or Mogami.

I would posit that a "good" cable from a brand like Audioquest is MUCH better than your standard USB.

The ONLY usb cable I have seen recommended that was from a computer manufacture was Belkin.

Otherwise just snag a Audioquest Pearl and know you haven't gone crazy price wise, but your better than your 2 dollar USB cord.

As stated length does matter.

What cables are you looking to know about (HDMI, USB) and what length are you looking at? That makes a difference.

There is a thing called "jitter" that can affect digital signals. Lots of reading up on it if you want to know more, I wont profess to totally know everything on this matter so I will let the others chime in.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Not as profound as the differences in analog cables, but they are there.

Yes I understand that with analog signal where amplitude varies and information should be preserved ... any variations wouldn't result in faithful reproduction at destination.

But with 0 and 1 it will be 0 and 1 at the destination as it cannot become 2 or 3

Anyways even I am not expert ...
    Last edited by Sumerian; 04-17-2014 at 08:39 PM.

More to it than simple 1's and 0's being transmitted.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

There are a fair number of "discussions" about digital cables and digital transmissions here on the forum if you do a search.

OR, the short answer is "YES".
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

^^ I think the answer is maybe, or they could. Depending on gear and application.
    Sources-Pro-ject Debut Carbon,Sony Bdp-s5100,Toshiba HD-a3(cd transport)
    Processing and Power-Onkyo TX-NR717, ATI AT1202
    Mains-Polk Audio RTi12's
    Display- LG 60PA6500
    Misc. Panamax m4300 conditioner, Blue Jeans Ten White, Blue Jeans LC1 ICs.

Just the quality of the build is a difference. The in-the-box generic cables such as USB/HDMI tend to separate at the connectors and you can tell the alloys used are sub par. At least do your system justice using a better quality built cable.

Don't have to spend an arm & leg but the effect can be noticeable as you move up the ladder.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Quote Originally Posted by Sumerian View Post
    Yes I understand that with analog signal where amplitude varies and information should be preserved ... any variations wouldn't result in faithful reproduction at destination.

But with 0 and 1 it will be 0 and 1 at the destination as it cannot become 2 or 3

Anyways even I am not expert ...
    I can not speak for audio,but for movies,better hdmi certainly makes no difference what so ever..It is 10101010 after all.As long as the quality is decent,and the cable it self is not broken,you should see no difference what so ever in terms of picture quality.

Tonyb-So what else is being transmitted?That is a very vague answer, and doesn't work as well as 'not all watt is created equal'which I concur.

Edit-I have tried the audioquest chocolate hdmi vs my no name amazon brand,so I'm speaking from that perspective.
    Last edited by northernwind; 04-19-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

A wire is not just connection.

Different wire designs must be considered.

Cat5...not sufficient for 10GbE.

Cat5e and Cat6 yes.

Plug in an older Ethernet cable and expect connectivity just 'cuz its a conductor'...{eeeeee} annoying game show buzzer for wrong answer.....

You can say 'ones and zeros' and a piece of wire is all that matters for connectivity - and you are SO wrong....

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post

Cat5e and Cat6 yes.

Plug in an older Ethernet cable and expect connectivity just 'cuz its a conductor'...{eeeeee} annoying game show buzzer for wrong answer.....

You can say 'ones and zeros' and a piece of wire is all that matters for connectivity - and you are SO wrong....
    How does bringing up wires with different specification relate anything at all to what I said?In this case I'm talking about DIGITAL hdmi cables as I have no say,nor any experience with different ethernet cable....Why are you comparing hdmi 2.0 to 1.0?I'm making a comparison between cheap hdmi 2.0 spec vs expensive hdmi 2.0.A little reading comprehension goes a long way.

Edit-I actually used them for myself,have you?Also just incase you still don't understand,ill repeat.This is only MY experience with HDMI cable.

Quote Originally Posted by northernwind View Post
    How does bringing up wires with different specification relate anything at all to what I said?In this case I'm talking about DIGITAL hdmi cables as I have no say,nor any experience with different ethernet cable....Why are you comparing hdmi 2.0 to 1.0?I'm making a comparison between cheap hdmi 2.0 spec vs expensive hdmi 2.0.A little reading comprehension goes a long way.

Edit-I actually used them for myself,have you?Also just incase you still don't understand,ill repeat.This is only MY experience with HDMI cable.
    Cuz everything matters....

We have done testing at our company for supposedly 'compatible' cabling within the same specification that doesn't work!!

Just cuz some company says they are hdmi x.x whatever compatible or equivalent means NOTHING.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Cuz everything matters....

We have done testing at our company for supposedly 'compatible' cabling within the same specification that doesn't work!!

Just cuz some company says they are hdmi x.x whatever compatible or equivalent means NOTHING.
    Oh wow........I'm talking about QUALITY between 2 WORKING CABLES.Not crap cable that doesn't work,while comparing it to perfectly working cables..First you compare ethernet to hdmi,now you compare working cable to non working cable....I've compare no name WORKING cables vs EXPENSIVE hdmi,and they both still do WORK.Obviously spec mean NOTHING if the cables don't work....And plenty of cheap hdmi last...Sorry for the cap,I just don't want to throw off your reading.

Oh wow........I'm talking about QUALITY between 2 WORKING CABLES.Not crap cable that doesn't work,while comparing it to perfectly working cables..First you compare ethernet to hdmi,now you compare working cable to non working cable....I've compare no name WORKING cables vs EXPENSIVE hdmi,and they both still do WORK.Obviously spec mean NOTHING if the cables don't work....And plenty of cheap hdmi last...Sorry for the cap,I just don't want to throw off your reading.
    Oh wow...one would think that in the 'pro' world that spec'd cables and interfaces would work.

Sorry..but that isn't the real world...contrary to internet wanking.

We found out that one vendors spec'd interface wouldn't work with another vendor...even though they claimed on paper they were...imagine that.

What the "F" is "quality"????

Try it and prove it - otherwise sit down and stfu.

Cat5e and Cat6 yes.

CAT5 isn't designed for 10Gbe....

He's not saying you can run 10GBe over a coat hanger. He specifically mentioned HDMI.

An $89 AQ Ethernet cable is going to do no better at transmitting data than a $4 patch cable that also exceeds spec. In this case it is guaranteed that digital is digital.
    So hot it burns twice

There is an annoying buzz...as if....ignored member......

All you need to know is there are some chumps here that are all talk. All bark no bite.

As a matter of fact I offered, while at the PETT GTG in Dayton, last summer to put together a computer with dual Radeon cards (that max out the HQV Blu-Ray benchmark) all going to a high quality display (with 2 HDMI inputs).

The display would be calibrated for both inputs. A $20 Belden HDMI and any HDMI cable they wanted to bring. I offered up a ~$600 AQ.

With that one could mirror the display and then simply A/B to their hearts content.
    So hot it burns twice

Member Sales Rating: (13)

The real reason is no one wanted to travel to Dayton, OH. Having been to Dayton a few times I can't blame them, so sod off with your lies.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

In retrospect while there were a lot of odd responses to the challenge, no one actually said they could do it (that is see the difference).

Very much at odds with all the other HDMI cable threads when it comes to VQ.
    So hot it burns twice

Member Sales Rating: (10)

...like a moth to a flame...

Quote Originally Posted by agfrost View Post
    ...like a moth to a flame...
    ...like flies to dung...
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Oh wow...one would think that in the 'pro' world that spec'd cables and interfaces would work.

Sorry..but that isn't the real world...contrary to internet wanking.

We found out that one vendors spec'd interface wouldn't work with another vendor...even though they claimed on paper they were...imagine that.

What the "F" is "quality"????

Try it and prove it - otherwise sit down and stfu.

For a 3k plus post member,you absolutely make no sense at all.Are you ADD by any chance?You change topic on the fly,and most of the time what you say does not even relate to the what I'm saying,yet you respond to me.Sry If I knew you were special,I wouldn't even try to debate.Lastly WTF are you talking about?Pro world?I was comparing cheap hdmi to expensive hdmi.also,why would I need to prove my experience to you?Get some help please.

Is it troll week or something ?
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Is it troll week or something ?
    Periodically a few villains tend to blow in with the northernwind

They travel with the monks and sometimes bring ravioli
    Last edited by txcoastal1; 04-20-2014 at 12:21 AM.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post

LOL. On the other hand, there is some fun in watching them make fools of themselves. Especially the ones who take themselves seriously.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Clever and witty!!!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Maybe I'm buzzed but this cracked me up. Well played...
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX01 AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Sony CDP-C8ESD CDP, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's

Smile

Well done, bravo bravo!
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

I knew this would turn ugly as most cable threads do.

For the posters who claim no difference in 2 cables both meeting spec.....who's specs ? The manufacturers claims of meeting spec isn't necessarily true and there are no steps in place to verify such claims. So starting right off the bat you may or may not be comparing apples to apples. We have a few links from independent labs that did research on these spec claims and they found that alot were not up to spec.

Assuming two different cables meeting spec, what else is there ? Quality of construction, metallurgy used...would you not say that can influence the sound ? How about the speed of the 1's and 0's ? Just a few suggestions that have something to do with the final sound. I do however still hold true to my thoughts that while sound differences in digital cables exist, they are not as profound as analog cables.

Thread Information