Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Member Sales Rating: (0)

IMHO, it takes a pretty good system to hear a difference in cables. Perhaps, it is more evident to someone who has invested in JC-1s, and made his Polks a labor of love. That said, in my youth I was able to discern 1dB differences easily, and was involved in album mix-downs. Today tinnitus, and age cause a distressing inability to tell the difference in many sound qualities, so I have not spent vast sums to acquire great amps and cables. More power to anyone who can hear the subtle differences. Enjoy it while you can.

Tom

I can hear a 1dB change. It's not much but it's detectable. I think the definition of a dB is the smallest volume change an average person can detect.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

It's not just differences in sound level between cables, there can also be differences in imaging and sound stage dimensions.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

Member Sales Rating: (4)

And, I'll add tone(s) to that as well.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Quote Originally Posted by OldmanSRS View Post
    I can hear a 1dB change. It's not much but it's detectable. I think the definition of a dB is the smallest volume change an average person can detect.
    Decibel is only a measurement of energy, there are also other identifiable differences that can place within the same dB. Some of those items are phase, distortion, and although it's debatable, group delay.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiTom View Post
    IMHO, it takes a pretty good system to hear a difference in cables.
    Tom
    Eh...yes and no Tom. Maybe a more "revealing" system is the proper terminology...and that need not cost a lot of coin. Differences in cables can be subtle...but also profound, even if your ears are old like mine. So I wouldn't poo-poo the idea of trying different stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Decibel is only a measurement of energy
    It's not only that. In relationship to hearing it equates in terms of sound volume to the the smallest volume change an average listener can detect.

I think we need a new argument on this thread :)

Quote Originally Posted by OldmanSRS View Post
    I think we need a new argument on this thread :)
    I don't! I think we have argued enough. Whoa!! - that's an opinion and on here giving an opinion is an argument. Looks like I just started a new argument with you. :)
    SDA 2BTL Sonicaps Mills resistors RDO-198s New gaskets H-nuts Erse inductors Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    Adcom GTP-450 preamp
    Adcom GFA-555 amp Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    SDA CRS+ Hidden away in the closet

Quote Originally Posted by TennMan View Post
    I don't! I think we have argued enough. Whoa!! - that's an opinion and on here giving an opinion is an argument. Looks like I just started a new argument with you. :)
    Only when you state an opinion as a fact, and then say people are delusional (placebo effect) if they do not agree with your opinion.

Well that's just like your opinion, man.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Quote Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post
    It's not just differences in sound level between cables, there can also be differences in imaging and sound stage dimensions.
    In my audio travels, I have met many who don't even know what that really means or what is possible. They still think that sound eminating from a left and a right speaker is imaging. Makes me chuckle. If they only knew...

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post
    I have never heard or seen a difference in audio or video performance with any digital cable I've tried, whether it was optical, coax, or HDMI. The last digital cable comparison I did was in 2009:

Tweaking-Home-Theater-Pt.-3-The-Pioneer-Elite-BDP-09FD-Blu-ray-Player.

I compared HDMI cables made by Acoustic Research ($20), Rocketfish ($85), and Monster Cable ($130). There was no performance difference among them. I subsequently compared the $20 Acoustic Research HDMI cables to $8 Monoprice HDMI cables, didn't see or hear a difference between them, then returned the AR cables.
    It took me forever to find this. I remembered you saying that you didn't hear any difference in HDMI cables. There is no doubt that you have a more trained ear than me. I was using a Monster Ultra 800 HDMI between my Blu-ray player and my SC-05. Then I upgraded it to an AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI, late last year. When I hooked it up it seemed to have a brighter sound than what I was hearing before. A brighter sound was not what I was hoping for, but now I don't seem to notice it anymore. Is there a burn-in process with HDMI cables like there is with speaker cables? Could that account for the brightness I thought I was hearing when I first started using the new cable or was I just imagining a difference? Or did I just get used to it over time? Or am I just looney?
    Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pioneer BDP-51FD | Pangea: AC-9SE, AC-14 PC's
    Monster PowerCenter HTS 5000 | Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100 | Dish HDTV
    Polk: RTi8 Towers, CSi5 Center, F/Xi3 Surrounds, CSi3 Single Rear | Polk Subs: PSW125-12", PSW303-8"
    Douglas Connection: Furez DCF124BW SC's | AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI | Monster: M850 SW-12, ULT I1000FO-4 IC's
    Acoustic Treatments OC703 | Dynamat: Components, Baskets

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitism View Post
    It took me forever to find this. I remembered you saying that you didn't hear any difference in HDMI cables. There is no doubt that you have a more trained ear than me. I was using a Monster Ultra 800 HDMI between my Blu-ray player and my SC-05. Then I upgraded it to an AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI, late last year. When I hooked it up it seemed to have a brighter sound than what I was hearing before. A brighter sound was not what I was hoping for, but now I don't seem to notice it anymore. Is there a burn-in process with HDMI cables like there is with speaker cables? Could that account for the brightness I thought I was hearing when I first started using the new cable or was I just imagining a difference? Or did I just get used to it over time? Or am I just looney?
    I think there's a burn in time. My image appeared brighter for at least the first 3 months after I swapped cables. Eventually it settled down, I think. Hard to really tell the difference sometimes, but I'm pretty sure it made a decent difference.
    Too many good quotes to list..waiting for some fresh ammo. :)

Thread Information