Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Things to do in Atlanta GA?

My wife and I are in Atlanta this week and I have quiet a bit of time on my hands. Any recommendations for audio shops, records shops, and restaurants I should check out while I am down here?
    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA 1C, SDA SRS-2 (fully modded), Monitor 4A, Infinity RS-6b and Infinity Kappa 8.
    Amplifiers: Carver TFM-25 (x2), Adcom GFA 555 and a Dynaco ST-70
    Pre: Carver C-1, Adcom GFP 710, Adcom GFP 555

Fry's Electronics are a decent store, kinda like a Super Walmart for electronics. I know there are 2 of them on the North side, can't remember for the others. At certain parts of the day you can get plenty of quality radio time while you sit in your car in traffic!
    HT: LG 60PB450; Pioneer Elite SC55; RT2000P; RT55P; CS400p; FX500; SVS PB12-Plus/2; PS3 360GB

2nd Setup: RT2000i; RT800i; CS400i; DSW Micropro 4000; Sony STR DH820; XBOX 360 250GB; LG BR370

Other: CS400p; RT55p; RT2000i, CS175i; Monitor 50; CS1, FXi/3; PSW350

Retired: Sony Grand Wega 55"; Sony STR-DN840; Yamaha HTR-6130; Sony STR-DN520; Paradigm Phantom V.3; Paradigm CS-270V.3, Cinema ADP V.3, PS1000 V.4; Polk S6; Onkyo TX-NR809

106.7 has a pretty funny show called "The Kim Peterson show" between 12 and 3.

Used to listen to him in the 90s, he was hilarious, he recently came out of retirement, and he still beats the same old political or sports hacks going through the motions.

You might want to pick up a copy of creative loafing or look up their website, in the past they had all the entertainment listings, from the big shows to the smallest offbeat stuff, as well as restaurnt ads and reviews.

Audio alternative is the only old time audio store i know of, its in Lilburn.

For breakfst i would highly recommend any of the several original pancake house locations, its got nothing to do with IHOP by the way.

Bones in buckhead is a pricey, but old high quality steakhouse in buckhead, a part of town where you will find many of atlantas really good eaterys.

If you find yourself around virginia highlands,where you find most of the rest of the notable places to eat other than downtown places, you might want to drop into "Murphys", a really good neighborhood restaurant where deb and i stopped many times after her appointments at emory hospital, their crabcakes and steaks, and believe it or not, the spinach omelet are really good.

Too bad you were not here last week as the weather was unbelievably cool for july.

Its still much nicer than july has any right to be in atlanta, hope you have a great time.
    Last edited by scottyboy76; 07-21-2014 at 03:00 PM.
    humpty dumpty was pushed

If you find you have a day to get away, come on up to the mountains to blue ridge, its only about 2 hours if traffic is not bad.

Take 75 north to 575 north and you just keep going,turn right at the mcdonalds in blue ridge, and you are in town.

We have several really good restaurants, big frog records, and Blue Ridge brewery if you like craft beer.

There are only two or three small roads right in the heart of town where they all are, and many folks just like to walk all over, and maybe take a ride on the historic Blue ridge railroad, to mccaysville, where i might meet you for pizza at kennys.

Its really a sweet day trip through the backwoods along the rivers and streams, best in the cool fall with the leaves changing, but nice anytime of year, there are vids online of people ridin the rails so you can see what its like.
    Last edited by scottyboy76; 07-21-2014 at 03:03 PM.
    humpty dumpty was pushed

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Pappadeaux is always a great spot to have a nice dinner.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

See what shoes are at the Fox.
    There was a killer Cajun restaurant near Buckhead.Not sure if it's still there.
    And a road trip up to ruby falls is sure to please.

Do the Coca-Cola museum tour and visit Atlanta Underground.

I second D'prived recommendations.

You like a good hot dog? Visit the Varity when you go to the Coca-Cola museum. Like Craft Beer? Visit Swee****er Brewing. They show up on The Walking Dead often! the Aquarium is supposed to be really nice there. Stone Mountain is neat too.

Here is what google had to say about Vinyl....

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...=Atlanta%2C+GA
    2 channel rig:
    SDA 3.1's
    Hafler 500

HT Dennon 1612
    Monitor 12's
    CS275 Center
    Monitor 5jr's

Bedroom system:
    Kenwood
    Monitor 10's

Additional projects:
    RTA 12's

Cant believe i forgot the varsity, has to be the one on north avenue for the experience, even though the food at the other locations is good.

while i worked at stereo village in buckhead in the early 80s,(where i first heard an sda by the way), i always stopped in at fantasyland on fridays and bought a couple records, many of the ones i have shown here still have the tag from there, they have moved but must still be good.

I wish i had known wuxtry had a location on N.decatur rd, as debs docs and clinics were right off that road and we could have visited there.
    humpty dumpty was pushed

Yes, the Varsity downtown is AWESOME, What ya have, what ya have?
    HT: LG 60PB450; Pioneer Elite SC55; RT2000P; RT55P; CS400p; FX500; SVS PB12-Plus/2; PS3 360GB

2nd Setup: RT2000i; RT800i; CS400i; DSW Micropro 4000; Sony STR DH820; XBOX 360 250GB; LG BR370

Other: CS400p; RT55p; RT2000i, CS175i; Monitor 50; CS1, FXi/3; PSW350

Retired: Sony Grand Wega 55"; Sony STR-DN840; Yamaha HTR-6130; Sony STR-DN520; Paradigm Phantom V.3; Paradigm CS-270V.3, Cinema ADP V.3, PS1000 V.4; Polk S6; Onkyo TX-NR809

Member Sales Rating: (7)

If you like non-stogy museums, try the Fernbank Museum. They have a killer I-MAX theater. Its also in a cool neighborhood
    The Atlanta Braves games are always a good bet.
    I would not go the the Atlanta Underground.
    Sweet Water Beer is awesome...

There is a Wilson Audio dealer up in Roswell. My sister lives near it. I think it's called Atlanta Home Theater.

Quote Originally Posted by kevhed72 View Post
    If you like non-stogy museums, try the Fernbank Museum. They have a killer I-MAX theater. Its also in a cool neighborhood
    The Atlanta Braves games are always a good bet.
    I would not go the the Atlanta Underground.
    Sweet Water Beer is awesome...
    I did not want to be the one to say anything about the new underground, but its not known as a safe welcoming spot, although some like it, just know to be aware, i have noticed fewer terrible headlines on atlantas news originating from that area lately, but your decision.

and this from someone who used to love going to the truly old unique UA that was pre civil war, and worldknown place to visit before dying because of crime.

They rebuilt it into a shopping mall "historic", "cool" years ago with very high expectations, but it has had many problems of the same type that killed the real UA.

Again not telling you not to go, just be informed
    humpty dumpty was pushed

Quote Originally Posted by adb3da@yahoo.co View Post
    There is a Wilson Audio dealer up in Roswell. My sister lives near it. I think it's called Atlanta Home Theater.
    Rumour has it there are aliens in Roswell too.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Fat Mac's rib shack and then off to the Variety playhouse
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

If you get a DUI in Atlanta I have a friend that specializes in that.....
    2 channel rig:
    SDA 3.1's
    Hafler 500

HT Dennon 1612
    Monitor 12's
    CS275 Center
    Monitor 5jr's

Bedroom system:
    Kenwood
    Monitor 10's

Additional projects:
    RTA 12's

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by xjghost View Post
    If you get a DUI in Atlanta I have a friend that specializes in that.....
    Really?? Haha!!
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Fogo De chao

http://www.fogodechao.com/locations/atlanta

A Brailian BBQ

Something a little different... A meat lovers heaven..
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's VR3 LSi 9's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS4 Directv Genie HD DVR Samsung 64" Plasma

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's SDA SRS 2.3's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    Really?? Haha!!
    Yes. He is an attorney there. I also Highly recommend Mary Mac's Tea Room.... http://www.marymacs.com/

Give me some time to clean out the cobwebs and I'll think of more. :)

Ok IDK if this place is still open or not but if it is it's well worth checking out.

Engine 11 Firehouse Tavern

30 North Ave. NE, Atlanta, GA, 30308

(404) 873-3473

Inside a 100-year-old refurbished fire station in Midtown Atlanta, this restaurant and tavern has entertainment some evenings, a private events room upstairs and upscale bar food. Valet parking after 5 p.m. and 10:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays.
    Last edited by xjghost; Yesterday at 09:52 AM.
    2 channel rig:
    SDA 3.1's
    Hafler 500

HT Dennon 1612
    Monitor 12's
    CS275 Center
    Monitor 5jr's

Bedroom system:
    Kenwood
    Monitor 10's

Additional projects:
    RTA 12's

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Quote Originally Posted by D'prived View Post
    Do the Coca-Cola museum tour and visit Atlanta Underground.
    Not! Underground has absolutely nothing to see these days. Don't waste your time. The Coke Museum is not next to Underground anymore, so its not something you would do together. The Coke Museum is next to the Aquarium now. I consider both to be tourist traps.

Atlanta is huge, recommendations would really depend on what part of town you are in. If you are in downtown area, check out the CNN Center, see the Capitol, catch a Braves game. Check to see if the Fox Theater has a show that interests you, if you like art, see the High Museum in Midtown. Midtown is a nice area to walk around too, lots of restaurants and bars. If you like Natural History, check out Fernbank Museum and the IMAX. Buckhead used to be the place to go at night, but now it is more about shopping and restaurants.

Personally, one of my favorite areas is called Little Five Points. Very artsy area with cool shops.

Stone Mountain is neat, but it has gotten expensive to visit there now.

If you want to bar hop, Virginia Highlands has some fun places.

Honestly, Atlanta area sucks for high end audio shops these days. Most of the high end brands are carried by 'appointment only' dealers who don't even maintain a showroom. Record shops are hard to find, but I think Little Five Points has a couple of the best: Criminal Records and Wax N Facts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Five_Points

I personally make sure to take all my friends visiting to the Vortex for a burger.
    Last edited by billbillw; Yesterday at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
    Not! Underground has absolutely nothing to see these days. Don't waste your time. The Coke Museum is not next to Underground anymore, so its not something you would do together. The Coke Museum is next to the Aquarium now. I consider both to be tourist traps.

Atlanta is huge, recommendations would really depend on what part of town you are in. If you are in downtown area, check out the CNN Center, see the Capitol, catch a Braves game. Check to see if the Fox Theater has a show that interests you, if you like art, see the High Museum in Midtown. Midtown is a nice area to walk around too, lots of restaurants and bars. If you like Natural History, check out Fernbank Museum and the IMAX. Buckhead used to be the place to go at night, but now it is more about shopping and restaurants.

Personally, one of my favorite areas is called Little Five Points. Very artsy area with cool shops.

Stone Mountain is neat, but it has gotten expensive to visit there now.

If you want to bar hop, Virginia Highlands has some fun places.

Honestly, Atlanta area sucks for high end audio shops these days. Most of the high end brands are carried by 'appointment only' dealers who don't even maintain a showroom. Record shops are hard to find, but I think Little Five Points has a couple of the best: Criminal Records and Wax N Facts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Five_Points

I personally make sure to take all my friends visiting to the Vortex for a burger.
    Been there,,done that-- highly recommeded-- listen to Bill,,he knows what he is talking about-- the Variety Playhouse is in Little 5 points ,, you could spend a day there!
    Have fun

Stone mountain or Peachtree city are nice. Other than that, I'd say the #1 thing to do is go back to the airport and hop a plane to the Keys.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

http://tinyurl.com/qgdkosb

Quote Originally Posted by bored184 View Post
    My wife and I are in Atlanta this week and I have quiet a bit of time on my hands. Any recommendations for audio shops, records shops, and restaurants I should check out while I am down here?
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Stone mountain or Peachtree city are nice. Other than that, I'd say the #1 thing to do is go back to the airport and hop a plane to the Keys.
    Peachtree City,,,you can do better than that

Pretty much what has been said above with the exception of Underground. I would stay the hell away from there....if ya go bring a shank! lol

Tonyb.....Peachtree City? I lived there when I first moved to Georgia back in '85. Beautiful city no doubt, due to all the quirky city ordinances and what not. City is full of rich people, hench my moving. But what the hell is there to see there?!?
    --Gary--

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I am assuming that you have transportation, since everything is so spread out in Atlanta.

For vintage records: Criminal Records (1154 Euclid Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30307), www.criminalatl.com

If you are into ceramic cookers, stop by the Big Green Egg headquarters on Lawrenceville Highway in Tucker, GA (www.biggreenegg.com).

For good, grass-fed beef burgers, try Farm Burger in Decatur, GA (www.farmburger.net). I prefer their burgers over Vortex burgers. Prepare to spend roughly $12.00 per person.

For decent BBQ:
    Fat Matt's Rib Shack (1811 Piedmont Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30324)
    Fox Bros Bar-B-Q (www.foxbrosbbq.com). Note: they use Hickory wood for all of their meats.
    Note: I rarely eat BBQ at restaurants. However, these are two that are pretty decent for the money.

For an experience with nice Home Theater setups as well as mid-to-High-End 2 channel audio, try Atlanta Home Theater (http://www.atlantahometheater.com/contact.html)
    Re-electing our politicians would be like chickens voting for Colonel Sanders

Another vote for fat matt

Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    You want him to buy a car?
    humpty dumpty was pushed

Thread Information