Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 859 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 101 151 551 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 25770

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Rory Gallagher-"Live" another new/used vinyl find and a good one.

Old School
    Member Sales Rating: (1)

^^ Of course... she's from Cleveland. ;) Traci's Fast Cars is a classic and sounds great. Too bad she tried to make hits after her S/T release...

Me? Wrapped up my "Live" binge with the best music DVD I own... and not just because it's the only one I own.

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
    The CD is great as well, but if you like the "Heads" and you've never seen what many critics call "the best concert movie ever made", look for it - at least for a rental. It's just a phemoninally wonderful visual stage show (complete with "the BIG SUIT") and the SQ is top drawer.

Now I seem to be moving into a Country Rock mode starting with:
    The Outlaws - Greatest Hits of...
    Have to say that there are a couple misses here, which is not a good sign for compilation 'hits' disc, but then there's "There Goes Another Love Song", "Hurry Sundown", "(Ghost) Riders in the Sky" and the classic, "Green Grass & High Tides". Unfortunately "Ghost Riders..." is a live cut, and the SQ is just OK-ish.

Apparently there's a better comp disc out now, Best of the Outlaws: Green Grass & High Tides, but 'til I get it, this'll do...

More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

Member Sales Rating: (2)

The Bad Plus_ these are the Vistas
    JAS Audio Bravo 2.3 SE Single ended Class A Tube Integrated Amplifier Svetlana 6C33-B triodes @ 18 wpc-Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC W-LME49990 op amps w Siemens 12AU7 -Black Cat Morpheus cables -Silverline Audio Sonata III

10,000 Maniacs-"In my tribe"
    James Taylor-"Sweet baby james"
    The Firm-"S/T"
    On a vinyl roll. Don't think i've played a cd/sacd ,here at the house, in a week........Did i point that out............................................... .........
    B(Didn'thaveaphonostageinthehousetiltoday)T
    may have to pull the cj out and bring it over this weekend.

Old Polk
    Member Sales Rating: (10)

Rufus Thomas - That Woman Is Poison!
    1988 - Alligator Records, Vinyl

My favorite offering by the late, great master of Memphis blues/rock/funk.
    Be-Bop-A-Lula, Baby What I Say

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMDPicker
    Rufus Thomas - That Woman Is Poison!
    1988 - Alligator Records, Vinyl

My favorite offering by the late, great master of Memphis blues/rock/funk.
    Very nice looks like i'll have to dig deep for October , if you're going to come to S.C. for Pfest BMDP, I may have a few suprises by then.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

Quote Originally Posted by DAGLJAM6
    10,000 Maniacs-"In my tribe"
    James Taylor-"Sweet baby james"
    The Firm-"S/T"
    On a vinyl roll. Don't think i've played a cd/sacd ,here at the house, in a week........Did i point that out............................................... .........
    B(Didn'thaveaphonostageinthehousetiltoday)T
    may have to pull the cj out and bring it over this weekend.

Sure, g'head and rub it in.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Quote Originally Posted by Tour2ma
    Now I seem to be moving into a Country Rock mode starting with:
    The Outlaws - Greatest Hits of...
    Have to say that there are a couple misses here, which is not a good sign for compilation 'hits' disc, but then there's "There Goes Another Love Song", "Hurry Sundown", "(Ghost) Riders in the Sky" and the classic, "Green Grass & High Tides". Unfortunately "Ghost Riders..." is a live cut, and the SQ is just OK-ish.

I have this CD. "Green Grass and High Tides"....One of the great "Air Guitar" songs...but at almost 10 min. the arm starts to get tired....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Just a chance to listen to some of the pristine vinyl that I picked up last week, plus my bro sent me a shipment of more than 50 of his vinyl dupes, thanks Bro!

Right now:
    Frank Zappa: Sheik Yerbouti! This was my brothers extra copy. God, I haven't heard this album since the early 80s. I forgot how cool Frank was.

A couple hours ago:
    Ida Cox w/ the Coleman Hawkins Quintet: Blues for Rampart Street. This was one of the pristine albums that I picked up. It was sealed until tonight, first time on a TT. Great recording from the end of her career. Not bad for $2.

Frank Zappa - Apostrophe...

Picked this up on Sunday.....mint. While I'm still not a 100% Zappa convert, there is some FANTASTIC stuff on this album. You can hear a lot of stuff that other bands later just blatantly ripped off.

Added bonus, this is one WELL recorded LP. Some great SDA stuff in it as well.

BDT
    Last edited by TroyD; 03-03-2006 at 08:06 PM.

Wagner-Siegfried's Funeral Music/Forest Murmurs Eric Leinsdorf conducting the LA Phil. my one and only Sheffield Labs LP.
    Rich and warm on the new/old Rega acquisition......WooHoo

Member Sales Rating: (6)

The Best of Simon & Garfunkel
    Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

Old Polk

Thumbs up

Lonnie Brooks - Hot Shot
    1983, Alligator - AL 4731 Stereo LP

Lonnie had the best band I've ever heard behind him at this moment in time: Dion Payton on lead (who played with and then headed John Lee Hooker's band after his death), Ken Sajdak on keyboards (one of Chicago's very finest roadhouse organ sylists), and Abb Locke on tenor sax (a long-time personal acquaintence who has toured with about every big name rock and blues act around.) This album has a really live gig vibe. Side B opens with "I Want All My Money Back" which is a signature tune and showcases Lonnie's style to the 9s. Good stuff!

"Speechless"- Bruce Cockburn B.C. doing straight up instrumentals acoustic guitar always sounds so good through tubes...

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Eric Clapton-Blues

Not a huge fan of Clapton. But this 1999 release is a good listen, especially the 2nd disc which is live from various places; it's mostly from Crossroads vol. 2. Perfect for a Sunday where here in Northwest Illinois we are getting snow once again and have a winter weather advisory. Just staring out the window listening to some blues, very pretty and calm.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

jack johnson. on and on
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

Old Polk

Matt Schofield - Siftin Thru Ashes
    2005, MSI Music (import), UPC: 689076976428

If you haven't heard of him, now you have. If you haven't heard him (and you enjoy blues), you will. The absolute best blues guitarist/singer/songwriter to emerge in the UK in decades.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMDPicker
    Matt Schofield - Siftin Thru Ashes
    2005, MSI Music (import), UPC: 689076976428

If you haven't heard of him, now you have. If you haven't heard him (and you enjoy blues), you will. The absolute best blues guitarist/singer/songwriter to emerge in the UK in decades.
    I'll look for it tomorrow at the local record store.(Or order it)
    Thanks for the heads up!

ZZ Top - Tres Hombres

At some point these guys quit getting props as a "Kick Ass" rock and roll band. I'm not sure why...especially when you listen to Tres Hombres. Maybe it was the overexposure on MTV (Back when they actually showed music videos), maybe they started getting to formulamatic...whatever...back in the early 70s this was the party R & R and is still good stuff today. Some of the later stuff may be dated...but not this album. La Grange still leads the way but the rest of the album is not far behind.

Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill

What can I say...Was... and still is...one of my alltime favorite albums. This was my "Demo" music anytime I bought new gear. There are many that will say "Countdown To Ecstacy" or "Pretzel Logic" or "Katie Lied" are better albums (and they are all good) but for me this is the quintessential Steely Dam album...right from the lead in of "Do It Again" which happens to be one of the best rock lead-ins...right there with Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing".

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Mexican Radio.

Emmylou Harris - Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town MFSL LP

BDT

Emmylou...now there's a great voice. Slow Surprises is one of my favorite songs by her.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

The Eagles - On The Border

Still one of my favorite groups. I like the fact that they still do a reunion from time to time.....but not as a characture of their former selves. They get on stage and play music...showcasing how their skills have matured...rather than trying to act like they never have (matured that is). Refreshing in a time where 50 year old rockers try to act like they did when they were 20 something. They've actually held up pretty well...unlike some others (see the Eddie Van Halen thread :( )

Member Sales Rating: (16)

The Cure-Disintegration

Classic Cure line-up. These guys are very underated, Certainly relegated to the New Wave catagory in the 80's, the music has held up well over the last 15 years or so. Haven't listened to this in over a year and it's still very satisfying. Expanding the latent arena rock sensibilities that peppered Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me by slowing them down and stretching them to the breaking point, the Cure reached the peak of their popularity with the crawling, darkly seductive Disintegration. It's a hypnotic, mesmerizing record, comprised almost entirely of epics like the soaring, icy "Pictures of You." The handful of pop songs, like the concise and utterly charming "Love Song," don't alleviate the doom-laden atmosphere. The Cure's gloomy soundscapes have rarely sounded so alluring, however, and the songs -- from the pulsating, ominous "Fascination Street" to the eerie, string-laced "Lullaby" -- have rarely been so well-constructed and memorable. It's fitting that Disintegration was their commercial breakthrough, since, in many ways, the album is the culmination of all the musical directions the Cure were pursuing over the course of the '80s.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9
    The Cure-Disintegration

Classic Cure line-up. These guys are very underated, Certainly relegated to the New Wave catagory in the 80's, the music has held up well over the last 15 years or so. Haven't listened to this in over a year and it's still very satisfying. Expanding the latent arena rock sensibilities that peppered Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me by slowing them down and stretching them to the breaking point, the Cure reached the peak of their popularity with the crawling, darkly seductive Disintegration. It's a hypnotic, mesmerizing record, comprised almost entirely of epics like the soaring, icy "Pictures of You." The handful of pop songs, like the concise and utterly charming "Love Song," don't alleviate the doom-laden atmosphere. The Cure's gloomy soundscapes have rarely sounded so alluring, however, and the songs -- from the pulsating, ominous "Fascination Street" to the eerie, string-laced "Lullaby" -- have rarely been so well-constructed and memorable. It's fitting that Disintegration was their commercial breakthrough, since, in many ways, the album is the culmination of all the musical directions the Cure were pursuing over the course of the '80s.

H9
    Nice H9 good choice.. for some reason I never get tired of listening to the Cure. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

Levon Helm and the RCO All-stars-"S/T"
    followed by:
    Stephen Stills-"Manassas"

Picked up the Helm LP at this past years Pfest. (thanks for the recommendation Jesse)

Today was also the second listen to Gilmour's-"On an island" haven't decided about that one yet, even though i really enjoy all of his previous solo outtings
    this one isn't jumping out at me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DAGLJAM6
    followed by:

Stephen Stills-"Manassas"
    Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by shack
    Excellent!
    Yes, yes it is.:) i've gotta dig up his first somewhere in all these LP's.....

And for the finale' of the eveningThe Who- "Quadrophenia" side 4 of a freshly cleaned 2lp set...absolutely my favorite coupla'three Who tracks.

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Today I've listened to several great vinyls that my brother sent me (his extras)
    before work: Talking Head: Speaking In Tounges (I was amazed at how good this sounded, very clean)
    After work: Pink Floyd: Welcome To the Machine
    Now: The Cars self titled album (still my favorite)

Thread Information