Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I think the main issue here is power. I recently tried a 125wpc SS amp after living with my 35wpc tube amp for 8 yrs thinking it was the best thing ever and it didn't take but 10 seconds to go wtf!

HT
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk Audio RC85i
    Computer rig - Windows 7/ JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Was that with the Martin Logans? Low power tubes don't mix well with electrostats.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by Conradicles View Post
    My only gripe with the new H/K stereo units is that they don't offer a CD player to match (if they do I can't find one).

Marantz offers matching CD players and even a new 2-channel amp.
    They used to make the HD 990 but discontinued it. Too bad, it was a decent player that could also be used as a DAC.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    I don't disagree that their prices are bordering insane, especially on the high power units. If you can find one for $100 though, I think you'd be very hard pressed to find a better piece. Old Yammy SS still hasn't made it into my house, but the Pioneers of that era sound horrendous by today's standards IMO. Talk about SS-sounding. I admittedly stopped playing the vintage game when I got into modern pieces though.

As nice as some of those flagship AVR's sound, I still haven't heard one to top a nice integrated that can be found at less than half its price. But that's another topic altogether. One other piece that doesn't get enough mention on this site for a nice starter 2 channel rig is the $100 Sherwood receivers. They keep the bells and whistles out of those and you end up with a nice performer for not a lot of coin. I bet a Sherwood receiver and those Pioneer bookies would be one hell of a start to a budget system.
    I gifted a system with that very Sherwood to a friend because he didn't have anything reasonable to play his tunes on a while back and he loves it!

cnh
    Attached Images  
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Was that with the Martin Logans? Low power tubes don't mix well with electrostats.
    Actually at my listening volumes I thought it sounded pretty good until I heard them with the Parasound A23. Now I'm moving on up to the A21.

HT
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk Audio RC85i
    Computer rig - Windows 7/ JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

Quote Originally Posted by organ View Post
    Some pics...

I gave my buddy the 5.1 version of this unit. He too was very impressed with the sound and power from that unit. He has (had) 5 Polk Monitor 60s connected to it. ( I gave him my other Crestron CNAMPX16x60.)

That volume knob is so cool, one of my favorite knobs after the Krell 1200.
    2CH Setup.
    CM9
    Sonos Pre-Amp
    Crestron CNAMPX16x60 (Bridge Mode)
    MIT AVT2 Interconnects

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1952 View Post
    Actually at my listening volumes I thought it sounded pretty good until I heard them with the Parasound A23. Now I'm moving on up to the A21.
    There are a lot of things that sound good until you hear better.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

There are a lot of things that sound good until you hear better.
    Amen to that bro. Though once you hear better in your own home, it's hard to go backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Just a little FYI, but the 3490 was able to power my LSi 15's, so if you want to tryout some LSi stuff cause you find em for a good price... that little HK can drive them all day long...
    Quote Originally Posted by gmjungbluth View Post
    I love my 3380. Very honest sound. Nice warmth. It's currently pushing my B&W DM601s in my bedroom. I think that's a good combination - the B&Ws sounded pretty harsh on my NAD 7100.
    My LSi7s actually sounded harsh on my HK-3480 (which has the same amp as 3490 but without the digital inputs). But my Energy RC-10s mate well with the 3480 for bedroom duty. The LSi7s are better matched with the NAD 375 BEE (as speaker B) on my living room.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

I have a Sony STR 7065 which leaves me scratching my head as it has sent many items packing including seperates.

Quote Originally Posted by geppy1 View Post
    I have a Sony STR 7065 which leaves me scratching my head as it has sent many items packing including seperates.
    Then you should get your hearing checked..lol. Only Sony worth a darn was the ES models, and not all of them either. Granted the 7065 is vintage and probably sounds better than their more current offerings, it's still mediocre at best. Raise your expectations bro.

Quote Originally Posted by boston1450 View Post
    Organ thats a beautiful set up you have there. I have owned probably 8 HK's & boy they all did a great job . Enjoy the HK :)

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    I've been beating that same drum for quite some time now myself. With todays advancements & the way technology finds it's way into gear that years ago was simply unheard of. The notion that a top flight 2 channel receiver or a flagship AVR can't hold it's own against separates is an outdated notion that doesn't hold water & some just can't come to grips with. Technology is a wonderful thing! Pass it on down.
    That's what has been on my mind for the past few years. The right combo of affordable gear today can get you very good sound. I used to be a hardcore tube head. Now I love ss just as much, maybe more with this h/k.

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    ... amusingly enough, I've been using an hk power amp upstairs for the last few days...
    Very nice looking amp. I've always liked h/k's style. I really like the ones around mid 90's also.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    I'm also with mhardy on the vintage Yammies being better than both the Marantz and Pioneer SX line. Organ, you're doing yourself a disservice by ruling out vintage gear. If you think that HK sounds good you should hear a CA-1010 or CA-2010 in class A mode...
    Maybe I will try one in the future, but I worry about parts failing, cap replacements, etc. The hot and cold weather cycles here in Canada can get quite severe. People who use storage units to keep gear without a/c and heater are basically killing the units. Pcb boards can easily snap and crack, lose soldering joints, etc.
    If I try a vintage unit, I'd have to get one in excellent to mint condition, and they don't go cheap :(. I do keep an eye on used units, so maybe I'll come across one for a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1952 View Post
    I think the main issue here is power. I recently tried a 125wpc SS amp after living with my 35wpc tube amp for 8 yrs thinking it was the best thing ever and it didn't take but 10 seconds to go wtf!
    LOL I know what you mean. Whenever I've been using tubes for a very long time, then swapping in my ss stuff, I go wtf!.
    Not sure if that's the case this time though because it wasn't that long ago that I had my NAD separates on this very same set up.

Quote Originally Posted by RamZet View Post
    I gave my buddy the 5.1 version of this unit. He too was very impressed with the sound and power from that unit. He has (had) 5 Polk Monitor 60s connected to it. ( I gave him my other Crestron CNAMPX16x60.)

That volume knob is so cool, one of my favorite knobs after the Krell 1200.
    I like the knob too, but I set the dimmer to off 99% of the time. It looks very sexy with only the side LED glowing.

Quote Originally Posted by geppy1 View Post
    I think you found your sound signature. I see the different types of sound the way I see different types of women. There is one for everybody.

Well, this is it, folks. I'm in the process of making a crazy move. I'm working on something with my audio dealer for a pair of Klipsch RF-7 II. They're not cheap, so almost all my tube amps are going in for trade. I should find out in the next few days.

I'm not crazy. The H/K made me do it.
    Last edited by organ; 05-10-2014 at 03:32 AM.
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Receiver: Harman/Kardon HK3390
    Speakers: Polk Audio RT1000p
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Finding bargain Marantz, Sansui,Pioneer etc stuff isn't found on Ebay or Craigslist... You have to go pickin at flea markets and estate/garage sales... Yeah it's a hassle but every once in a while... I don't even have 5 hunge into this one yet and it is magnificent.
    I see units not nearly as nice as this one go for $1200 and up on ebay.

That said I would like to hear a modern 2ch receiver go up against a vintage unit... I could be persuaded if a unit could have 2 channels with network connectivity adequate power and smartphone app.

Would that be the HK3700?

Name:  Clean.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  478.1 KB
    Last edited by Mikey081057; 05-11-2014 at 08:58 AM.
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's VR3 LSi 9's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS4 Directv Genie HD DVR Samsung 64" Plasma

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's SDA SRS 2.3's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey081057 View Post
    Finding bargain Marantz, Sansui,Pioneer etc stuff isn't found on Ebay or Craigslist... You have to go pickin at flea markets and estate/garage sales... Yeah it's a hassle but every once in a while... I don't even have 5 hunge into this one yet and it is magnificent.
    I see units not nearly as nice as this one go for $1200 and up on ebay.

That said I would like to hear a modern 2ch receiver go up against a vintage unit... I could be persuaded if a unit could have 2 channels with network connectivity adequate power and smartphone app.

Would that be the HK3700?

Attachment 97509
    hk3700

Name:  p532HK3700-F.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  10.5 KB
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's VR3 LSi 9's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS4 Directv Genie HD DVR Samsung 64" Plasma

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's SDA SRS 2.3's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre

Wow! Mikey, that's an awesome looking receiver. Looks mint too.
    Would love to hear how the h/k compare to vintage units if you ever decide to try it out.
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Receiver: Harman/Kardon HK3390
    Speakers: Polk Audio RT1000p
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey081057 View Post

The 3700 is NOT even as powerful as the former 3490. It's main feature set is an upgrade for digital music, ipod use, DACs, etc.

The real comparison to your Marantz would be the far more expensive HK integrated at 150 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms and 300 watts x 2 into 4 ohms. the HK 990.

cnh
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by cnh; 05-12-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Tonyb

Have you owned a 7065?? FYI I worked in the audio biz back in the day and was a product trainer. I can tell the difference between gear, cables in a heartbeat and used to win money doing it. I have owned Bel Cant, Vincent, Rega, Cambridge Audio, Creek, B & K NAD, (countless models) Rotel (countless models) Denon, (countless models) Harman kardon (same) Sony ES and on and on. Not to mention around 25 different vintage units.

After using vintage units it almost makes me sick to touch much of the new mid priced stuff as it feels like crap. Technology is the most overused word. To me it means they found ways to make stuff for less money. I have compared countless items side by side. Most mid priced new gear sounds like ,gear not music. The big drive now is hyper detail and resolusion which does not even sound slightly like real music Little harmonic structure. Have someone stand in front of you with a guitar and play it I have had gear that sounds somewhat like it. Most of it older gear Most of the new stuff sound etched, bright and digtial for lack of a better term. I do not need to hear the guys foot tap because I never hear that when he is in front of me.

I stood in front of a $20,000 system and three of us looked at each other and could not believe how annoying it was. I know a guy who has a friend in Chicago with a mega buck system of new stuff He cannot stay in the room for more then 10 minutes because it so hyper detailed

There seems to be a huge backlash .I have heard this stuff fron countless folks in the last 3 years. They feel the same way The only argument one hears about new gear is the" it must be better because it is new and more TECHNOLOGY " BULL !! There is great sounding new gear and great sounding old gear but on whole based on my comparisons the the older stuff sound more like music to me and many others not mention it is a joy to use from a feel standpoint. I am sure I will end up with new item because I want remote.

JUST MY OPINION and YOU MILAGE MAY VARY
    Last edited by geppy1; 05-12-2014 at 02:02 PM.

There is a small cult following of those vintage Sonys. Unfortunately, I've never heard one, but they're on my list!

I agree with a lot of what Keith has written above. My own experience confirms much of it. When I turn on my HK 430 (730) which is tethered to some Dynaco A25s what pours out is liquid. Liquid music. Yeah, it's not the MOST detailed, and you might not be able to locate "every" instrument. But if you're really enjoying the "music" you shouldn't be distracting yourself with those kinds of details or you'll miss the "magic" and be nothing more than some anally fixated stereophile. lol

It really depends on what you hear and what you "like" to hear, as a LOT of vintage integrateds and receivers do have a tube-like sound to them. Why else would guys who are into Klipsch classics run them off an HK 430 and the like?

cnh
    Attached Images  

I love the HK 730 and 430 They sound different then each other but they are in my top 5 Keith

I had a 7065 and a 7045. Very nice units. The sound was great, especially in the 7065. But my examples were a little dirty and tired.

I can say that my Pioneer SX-1250 pours liquid honey. What a great sound.

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    There is a small cult following of those vintage Sonys. Unfortunately, I've never heard one, but they're on my list!

I agree with a lot of what Keith has written above. My own experience confirms much of it. When I turn on my HK 430 (730) which is tethered to some Dynaco A25s what pours out is liquid. Liquid music. Yeah, it's not the MOST detailed, and you might not be able to locate "every" instrument. But if you're really enjoying the "music" you shouldn't be distracting yourself with those kinds of details or you'll miss the "magic" and be nothing more than some anally fixated stereophile. lol

It really depends on what you hear and what you "like" to hear, as a LOT of vintage integrateds and receivers do have a tube-like sound to them. Why else would guys who are into Klipsch classics run them off an HK 430 and the like?

cnh
    HT System:
    Pioneer VSX-820-k
    Front: Polk Monitor 7B Restored
    Rear: Currently not in service
    Center: Boston Acoustic VR12
    Sub: Bowers & Wilkins ASW600

2Ch:
    Restored Pioneer VSX-1250
    Yamaha P-500 Turntable

Living Room:
    NAD 7240PE
    Klipsch KG4

Bedroom:
    Harman Kardon 3380
    Bowers & Wilkins DM601
    Polk PSW10

In and out of rotation:
    KLH Model 6,
    Polk Monitor 5 Series II
    Design Acoustic PS-10A
    NAD 7100

Picked up a vintage HK 670 dual powered DC receiver from Geppy awhile back and its a very fine sounding unit indeed.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Wow, that HK 990 looks like quite an interesting piece. Googled some reviews and they have some interesting features. I'll have to google on the PK site to see if any members have done reviews.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I think it's a poor choice of model number, though. I used to own a HK 990vxi, purchased in 1989. That was an awesome receiver. Bad practice to reuse such a close model number.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Well... the anticipation is on. After researching the 990 I found the "Z" refirb version for like 40% of msrp and placed an order. I reaaly thought i could live without a remote but it was not working for me.

Got a confirmation but then no updates for over a week so I emailed support. I figured i ordered from a dead page. 48 hours after acknowledging my status inquiry I finally got shipping confirmation with delivery by 5/30. I am wondering what will arrive as the 990Z link now says no inventory and my order status now lists the 990 not 990Z.
    Last edited by cincycat13; 05-24-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post

cnh
    Funny, I sold my Sony 6050 with a wood case today for $40. Works perfect. Not a overly powerful amp, but a reat sounding and looking piece of vintage gear.

Regards,
    Carl

I had a 3380 for years, and was always pleased with the sound..sold it to replace with HT receiver

Quote Originally Posted by gmjungbluth View Post
    I love my 3380. Very honest sound. Nice warmth. It's currently pushing my B&W DM601s in my bedroom. I think that's a good combination - the B&Ws sounded pretty harsh on my NAD 7100.

Has anyone tried the phono on these units? Is it any good?
    ** Bill Clark Windham, VT **

Member Sales Rating: (2)

.... speaking of two-channel harman/kardon receivers:

hk FA3000x 2 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
    all the best,
    mrh

Thread Information