Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Apple closing in on a deal to buy Beats Headphones

A heck of a deal I would never pass up. 3.2 Billion to Dr. Dre for the purchase of Beats. I'm sure Apple will improve upon the headphones from what they are now.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post
    A heck of a deal I would never pass up. 3.2 Billion to Dr. Dre for the purchase of Beats. I'm sure Apple will improve upon the headphones from what they are now.
    Can Beats headphones get any worse? It's really nowhere but up (in terms of sound quality). But then, who actually buy Beats headphones for sound quality?

$3.2 billion?? Really?? Sounds like a really bad deal. Tim Cook is an idiot.
    Last edited by Danny Tse; 05-09-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Tse View Post
    Can Beats headphones get any worse? It's really nowhere but up (in terms of sound quality). But then, who actually buy Beats headphones for sound quality?

The value of AAPL on the NYSE disagrees.

Maybe apple will resurrect MOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Tse View Post

In reality you're 100% correct...

But people are somehow drawn to those crappy headphones. Sounds like it's a GREAT deal for Dre and a reasonable deal for Apple.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I haven't bought a set of headphones in over 15 years, last couple of sets were Sony MDR-7506 or V-600 models? We used to use them in a small home recording studio setting. Are these new Beats headphones better compared to the old Sonys??

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by Polkie2009 View Post
    I haven't bought a set of headphones in over 15 years, last couple of sets were Sony MDR-7506 or V-600 models? We used to use them in a small home recording studio setting. Are these new Beats headphones better compared to the old Sonys??
    Not really. These are not really a "mixing" phone. Sound quality has improved some since the break with Monster. But only the most expensive Beats at $399-499 or so are more or less OK. The lower end not so much. And if you're going to spend $400+ for some Beats Pros you could get a set of HiFiMan or Sennheisers and be a lot happier!

I don't know what Apple is thinking. You'd think that they'd pair with a better known Hi-Q manufacturer and then come out with an APPLE iLITE phone that Steve Jobs (if he were still with us) would tout as the NeXT big thing in HPs. A COMPLETE HP "revolution", rather than Beats i-cans?

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 05-09-2014 at 02:52 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (20)

The purchase makes perfect sense to me. If you're going to purchase a headphone company and get into that market, why not purchase the most successful company? In the headphone market, that would be Beats. Apple also wants in on the streaming business, and with the acquisition of MOG Beats has arguably the best platform there as well.

I'm not saying Beats are audiophile quality, and I'd never own a pair, but obviously they have the market. Now imagine if someone actually took Beats and made them a quality headphone? Maybe that's what Apple has in mind.

The stock market today doesn't like this decision, but only time will tell if it's a good idea. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this will ultimately work out for Apple. Anyone who says Tim Cook as an idiot needs to take a better look at Apple stock prices.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (4)

It's apple. They could buy any headphone company and make things work.
    Beats- they are paying too much. But, hey, it's their $$$$.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

I would imagine the Sony MDR-V6/MDR-7506 would still be the de-facto standard for studio work.

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-mdr7506/

So that should make Dre the first Compton billionaire.

Here're a few things to consider:

-Like Apple, Beats is as much of a lifestyle company as it is a technology company. Remember the iconic ads when the iPod was king (i.e., silhouettes with the with earphone cords)? Look at any teenager-and-below or pictures of athletes/celebrities, and what's the common denominator--Beats headphones.

-They're more than just headphones. In addition to their Bluetooth speakers and speaker technology in other devices, they have a wildly popular music service in Beats Music. What better way to make iTunes Radio a top contender?

So I'll be able to download MP3's off of Itunes and listen to them on my Beats ?!?!

Somebody pinch me !!!

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Here's another thing to consider...

The record labels have been urging Apple to get into the music subscription business for some time now. I imagine the cost of getting such a service up and running is high, so you may as well go ahead and buy one of the more successful services out there. Oh, and while you're at it may as well go ahead and buy the most successful headphone maker as well.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Beats is the Cerwin Vega of the headphone world......those that don't know truly good sound love the "idea" of wearing a pair.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Gardner View Post
    Beats is the Cerwin Vega of the headphone world......those that don't know truly good sound love the "idea" of wearing a pair.
    Based on your aforementioned quote, what brand & model headphones would you purchase (not to exceed $5K)? I'm in the market for headphones and am open to suggestions.
    Re-electing our politicians would be like chickens voting for Colonel Sanders

Headphones are the most personal of choices, way more so than speakers or any other type of gear. I like the Sennheiser HD650-800 models and Grado GS1000 or PS1000 if you are serious about getting a quality set of cans. Any of their lines are decent above the $300 level. For headphones I personally believe that comfort is more important than sound quality, because anything that irritates my ears/head doesn't allow me to enjoy it for very long. You have to decide whether over ear, on ear, or in ear types are your preference. I don't wear caps or hats, so that is a sensitivity that is personal to me. I have had both brands over the last 30 years with any number of different models and they both perform well.

Well, can't blame them really. They bought a high visibility brand with what is apparently a hold on an outsized portion of the headphones market:

As Beats' share of the US headphone market stands at around 65 per cent, it represents a huge opportunity for Apple to make an inroad into a well-established market, while presumably making a tidy profit for a man whose net worth already stands at around $550 million.

Are Senn's/Beyers/Grados better? In my mind, hell yes. But when's the last time you've seen an athlete or other famous person sporting a pair of Senns in pregame warm ups or whatever. Seems like a smart move on Apple's part to me.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Member Sales Rating: (5)

@Dennis Gardner,

Thanks for the advice!
    Re-electing our politicians would be like chickens voting for Colonel Sanders

Member Sales Rating: (49)

I just purchased a set of $400 beats for my daughter for her birthday last month, I personally think they sound pretty badass for head phones, but I have nothing to compare them to as I have never owned a nice set of head phones nor listen to a set.

I wouldn't mind owning a set of my own for the gym..

I can see where Apple and Beats go hand n hand..
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Wow... Apple, Beats and maybe Bose?
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    I just purchased a set of $400 beats for my daughter for her birthday last month, I personally think they sound pretty badass for head phones, but I have nothing to compare them to as I have never owned a nice set of head phones nor listen to a set.

I wouldn't mind owning a set of my own for the gym..

I can see where Apple and Beats go hand n hand..
    Probably Beats Pros, really the best of the Beats. Good metal construction, decent sound, the only problem? They're overpriced. Not really much better than a set of Audio Technica ATH-M50s, which come in under $150 (and you can get the old, non-detachable cable version for a LOT less than that). But in that sense, yeah, they're perfect for Apple since almost ALL of its products sell above what they're actually worth. lol

I-Beats? And an I phone for $1000? How does that sound? Sounds like a healthy profit margin to me!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 05-09-2014 at 06:50 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Unfortunately ( unless your a stockholder) they are in business to make money, not necessarily great sound
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by zane77 View Post
    Unfortunately ( unless your a stockholder) they are in business to make money, not necessarily great sound
    Cha-ching....then again that's been the complaint about Apple/Itunes all along.

Lets face some facts here. We audiophile geezers are misers. We search out quality, bang for the buck to blow our wad on. Youngsters are into "cool" not quality...and Apple plays to that very successfully.

Have a relative in his early 30's....one kid, 5 yr old girl. Bought her an Ipad mini and a cell phone already. She's frickin' 5, can't read or write, still in kindergarten. People are just nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Have a relative in his early 30's....one kid, 5 yr old girl. Bought her an Ipad mini and a cell phone already. She's frickin' 5, can't read or write, still in kindergarten. People are just nuts.
    WOW! just wow. Unbelievable. I have a 6 year old and 2 year old twins, no ipad minis or cell phones for them for a LONG time. Their use of mine, and even their tv time, is VERY limited. There is actually very recent brain research indicating that the old adage about the tv being bad for your eyes is actually somewhat true...if you spend too much time indoors staring at screens (especially at a young age) your brain adjusts (damn neuroplasticity) it will adversely affect your eyesight.

As for beats, never heard a pair, probably never will. But apple makes great gadgets, and of course they are in it for the $$$, so like most have said it makes a lot of sense from that perspective.

I don't own a pair of Beats, but had the chance to listen to them on a few occasions. To me they were very bass heavy, just a tad bit muddy. As mentioned though, it's trendy and heck with so many kids and young adults using them with Iphones and such. 3.2 Billion worthy, maybe not but dang Dre. is on the come up with this deal.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Have you ever seen how many people at the gym are wearing Beats headphones while working out? Just in general, I see them being worn EVERYWHERE!!! With the upcoming iWatch and Apple's move to integrate a lot of fitness related features into that, I think this is a good move. Tim Cook just didn't wake up one morning and decide to buy them. He's got his circle of longtime people around him at Apple who made this decision after a VERY thorough and lengthy look at Beats.

I can see people at the gym using their iPhone to stream Beats Music Service via bluetooth to the headphones, all the while their iWatch is connected as well to the headphones via bluetooth giving them updates on whatever fitness related info it's being used for. Look for runners, bikers, you name it...to be using these features.

They may not not measure up to audiophile standards, but i'm willing to bet that if you ask anyone that owns a pair or anyone that doesn't care about audiophile gear, who listens to them for the first time..Beats headphones sound great!
    I'm not saying she's a slut, but if her vagina had a password...it would be password.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
    Have you ever seen how many people at the gym are wearing Beats headphones while working out? Just in general, I see them being worn EVERYWHERE!!! With the upcoming iWatch and Apple's move to integrate a lot of fitness related features into that, I think this is a good move. Tim Cook just didn't wake up one morning and decide to buy them. He's got his circle of longtime people around him at Apple who made this decision after a VERY thorough and lengthy look at Beats.

I can see people at the gym using their iPhone to stream Beats Music Service via bluetooth to the headphones, all the while their iWatch is connected as well to the headphones via bluetooth giving them updates on whatever fitness related info it's being used for. Look for runners, bikers, you name it...to be using these features.

They may not not measure up to audiophile standards, but i'm willing to bet that if you ask anyone that owns a pair or anyone that doesn't care about audiophile gear, who listens to them for the first time..Beats headphones sound great!
    Knocked right out of the park!!!!

You obsessive, compulsive, audiophiles keep forgetting that you are the exception NOT the rule when it comes to enjoying music. All most people including me want is to have some tunes wherever and whenever we want them, and so long as we can hear and enjoy whatever we are listening to we are happy.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Well I just don't see following trends or fashions and these are what sells to the young people of today. This video explains a lot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guMFKBXp544
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1

Now watch Apple tailor the output EQ of the iDevices to mesh with their new headphone line. It's possible. I for one would be resetting things so my MDR1Rs still sound their best.
    Last edited by nbrowser; 05-10-2014 at 04:12 PM.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT