Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Question How much is too much?

I currently have a 1996 Acura Integra LS, into which I can drop two MM120s, a pair of dx6s, and a MTX 81000d which is coming to me supposedly at the end of the month. I have a few questions.

1) Are two momos going to be too much in a car that small, since I will have in excess of 500 watts being thrown at each one?

a) and if so, should I unload one of my momos, and have the
    run the amp at 4 ohms for cleaner sound?

2) If I want a very solid low end, should I consider building the box to different specifications than what polk suggests? (.866 cubic feet) The thing that drew me to polk in the first place was the impressive 25-35 Hz response that I got out of my db10, and that is what I desire in my future setup. I dont want to be overpowered by my bass, I just want it accurate and strong.

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Also, any thoughts on spare tire enclosures?

Ryan

Polk Customer Service

Ryan,
    This combination should work extremely well. If you prefer
    bass that is very accurate and detailed then I would suggest
    wiring the subs in series to achieve a 8 Ohm load. This will not be a problem for this amplifier since it will be driving a comfortable load. This will achieve a couple of things. First, the amp won't be
    driving a low impedance load and this will take a lot of the stress off of the power supply. ( It is a current demand thing. ) Plus
    the amplifier will run much cooler and this will help to extend the life of the amp. It also won't tax the charging system of the vehicle. But the main consideration for this configuration is the
    "sound" that you will hear from these subs. What you will hear
    is a more natural, detailed with good picth and, definition bass
    response. This is a result of the amplifier maintaining a "high damping factor". When the amp is driving low loads of 2 Ohms, the damping factor of the amp is cut by half. This is the amplifiers ability to control excessive cone movement after the signal has stopped.

Regarding enclosures... you can make them any shape you so desire as long as the internal volume is correct. For these woofers the internal volume is .88 cubic feet net per woofer. If the enclosure is a common chamber, then do not go below 1.5 cubic feet for both woofers!! Use 3/4 inch MDF for the box material and seal all interior seams with a silicone caulking.
    If you need some assistance with the design of a enclosure, give us a call at 800-377-7655 between the hours of 9 AM to 6 PM
    Monday through Friday and we will be glad to help.

Thanks,
    Kim, Polk Audio

Polk Woodpecker

We (polk) built a '97 Integra with 4 MM120's. They were driven by a Zapco AG 1,000 watt amp. The bass was clear and poundalicous. Two should sound great with the right amplification.

JClaar,

What would your recommendation be for the right amplification? Will the 8100d suffice? And if so, what would your recommendation be for the wiring setup, (series parallel etc)?

If im not mistaken, if I wire the two subs in series, and if the amp is rated at 500 watts at 4 ohms, then it will be at 250 watts at 8 ohms so 125 per sub. Will this be ok?

Thanks for your .02

Ryan

Thread Information