Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Default ...Ebay hacked ....change password recommended !!

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-2...PublicRSS20-sa

...was bound to happen sooner or later.

All the info to steal your identity !!!!
    Last edited by dee1949; 05-21-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Thanks for the head's up. Just changed my password.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Quote Originally Posted by hochpt21 View Post
    Thanks for the head's up.
    +1

I can't gain access to the edit password page. This is what it says:

Page not available

Ebay is asking its users to reset their passwords due to the unauthorized access to our corporate information network. This may result in a delay of service due to the high traffic volume. We ask for your patience and that you return to eBay soon. In the meantime, please be assured that no activity can occur on your account until your password is reset.
    Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pioneer BDP-51FD | Pangea: AC-9SE, AC-14 PC's
    Monster PowerCenter HTS 5000 | Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100 | Dish HDTV
    Polk: RTi8 Towers, CSi5 Center, F/Xi3 Surrounds, CSi3 Single Rear | Polk Subs: PSW125-12", PSW303-8"
    Douglas Connection: Furez DCF124BW SC's | AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI | Monster: M850 SW-12, ULT I1000FO-4 IC's
    Acoustic Treatments OC703 | Dynamat: Components, Baskets

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitism View Post
    +1

I can't gain access to the edit password page. This is what it says:

Page not available

Ebay is asking its users to reset their passwords due to the unauthorized access to our corporate information network. This may result in a delay of service due to the high traffic volume. We ask for your patience and that you return to eBay soon. In the meantime, please be assured that no activity can occur on your account until your password is reset.
    I got no such alert, but I changed mine anyway...
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (1)

....and some of you still feel safe with online banking huh ?

After the Target fiasco, you'd think that was a warning for everyone to up their security game.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Nothing is truly "safe" anymore Tony... I am quite certain some NSA guy with Cheeto's stains on his fingers knows of every keystroke made on any computer he wants to watch.

For protection from run-of-the-mill hacking, I randomly rotate through passwords on a monthly basis, and add new ones from time to time as well.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

I've always used two credit cards. My master plan was to keep one in my wallet (large limit), and to have a separate one for strictly online purchases. The one I use for online purchases has a lower spending limit of $1200. I've never made an online purchase higher than that. Every year they raise the limit and I have to contact them and request they lower it to $1200. I've always felt safer shopping online with a card with a low limit. But now with the Target incident, I can't even shop in a local store safely.

I even have a separate checking account that is only used for ebay/paypal. I'll transfer money to that account as needed, never leaving too much money in it.
    Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pioneer BDP-51FD | Pangea: AC-9SE, AC-14 PC's
    Monster PowerCenter HTS 5000 | Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100 | Dish HDTV
    Polk: RTi8 Towers, CSi5 Center, F/Xi3 Surrounds, CSi3 Single Rear | Polk Subs: PSW125-12", PSW303-8"
    Douglas Connection: Furez DCF124BW SC's | AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI | Monster: M850 SW-12, ULT I1000FO-4 IC's
    Acoustic Treatments OC703 | Dynamat: Components, Baskets

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post

After the Target fiasco, you'd think that was a warning for everyone to up their security game.
    Just as safe as not using online banking.

You don't need to actually use online banking for someone to hack your banks servers and get all your account info. The bank stores everything on their servers anyways. You're already taking the risk, might as well enjoy the convenience of it.

Now Ebay/PayPal on the other hand, will never get my banking info from me. One or the other seems to get hacked regularly.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling !!!!!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Has there been an increase in LifeLock ads on the radio?

...i was caught off guard. Package from Fed X stated delivered. I am retired and home all day. Researched and found out about hack. Changed my email and posted here. Turned out the seller sent to wrong address after many hours of calls, email and research.

Enjoy, be careful and welcome to the new age of criminal activity !!!! Protect your vitals !!!

The breach happen 4 months ago, so whatever happen has happen.
    Family Room HT 7.1:
    Pioneer Elite VSX 32 Pioneer Elite BDP 95FD Pioneer Elite DV 47Ai Pioneer Elite MD53 SlimDevice Transporter Panamax M5300-EX
    Living room 2ch:
    Integra ADM 2.1 Teac EQ MKII Squeezebox Touch Fluance SX Speakers
    Upstaris media room:
    Pioneer VSX D510 Sony PS3 Squeezebox Classic 3 Polkaudio Monitor 40 II fronts CSR Center
    Master bedroom:
    Pioneer VSX 520k Pioneer BDP 330 Squeezebox Classic 3 Polkaudio Monitor 40 II fronts, Rears Optimus LX5s CS3 center Acoustic Audio sub

4 months ago and Ebay is just now telling us about it?

Thanks for the heads up.
    Speakers:SDA2a, sub:Atlantic Technologies 172 PBM
    Pre:B&K PRO-10MC(2ch)
    Amps:Parasound HCA 1000a
    SourcesOppo DV-970HD, Xbox360, Kenwood KT-5300
    Cables:Philips/RCA/Monster

Life's short, Listen to SDA's
    Life is short live Sui Juris
    Where did SOPA go?

....just a thought. How many people use similar logins to ebay and paypal ? How many out there have their ebay email address connected to other vital locations. Change them all and keep separate. From an ole timer that learned from the times. An email address used for 21 years.,
    ...The younger generation is putting too much info out there. Info is $$$$ the future. Bad or GOOD ? All the info from Ebay can be used in the FUTURE to steal your id. Just requires a little bid more work. Need to build a "lead" box for your home info. One outlet out to connect to .....? How is it DONE?

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Last edited by dee1949; 05-25-2014 at 10:17 PM.

How can the info Ebay has be used to steal my identity? All they have is my name, address, and phone number. All public information, freely available. Anyone driving by my house can get my name and address of my mailbox.

All they could do is steal control of your account. No biggie, I can live without Ebay.

And I try not to use my email as a username with any account, very few sites require it. And I use a different password on every site, except unimportant things like discussion forums. 24 or more characters, special, characters, number. letters, etc.
    Last edited by WilliamM2; 05-26-2014 at 12:51 AM.

...date of birth and usually mothers maiden name is required as back up.

Great idea for separate login names and passwords for different sites. Kids today don't look at it the same way. They will regret it.

I've had to change so many passwords in the last month, probably over 50. I'm getting old and that's a lot to remember.
    [HOME THEATRE]
    Samsung LED HDTV - Pioneer VSX-1014TX (AVR) - Parasound HCA-1200 II - Philips DVP642 (DVD)
    Polk Monitor 10B (Side Surround) - Bang & Olufsen P45 (Rear Surround) - Polk CSi30 (Center Channel)
    SVS PB12-ISD/2 (Sub)

Is anyone using a Password manager that they can recommend? Something like LastPass or RoboForm maybe.

It's obviously unsafe using the same password on multiple sites, but it's nearly impossible to keep track of the dozens and dozens of logins and passwords most people have these days.
    Modest HT - Pioneer VSX 821K, RT800i, CS400 center, RT25i surrounds, Velodyne CHT-10 sub, Belkin PF30.
    Bedroom - Yamaha RX-V373, Monitor 7C, CS175i center

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I'm over ebay. Had my credit card info hacked over a year ago. All kinds of headaches. $2600 dollars in illegal charges, dropped the card completely and dropped ebay. I still have an account there but it is linked to a DEAD credit card, so HACKERS away! Try charging something on that.

Now it is possible that hackers got the Credit Card info from paypal then went to the BANK that issued it and hacked the rest of my info because they got address, date of birth, passwords for both accounts and at least the last 4 digits of my SS if not the entire number? That's unclear yet.

Tony is right! Internet banking, SURE! Recently, the revelation that 66 percent of sites have been hacker vulnerable for years? OK, I'm good with that, NOT. HOW hard can it be to protect oneself. An extremely LONG and I do mean LONG PSWD should take ages to break into, no?

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 06-06-2014 at 01:26 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

I'm trying out 1Password on the Mac. Have only had it for a few days, but I need to try something with so many passwords.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo18 View Post
    Is anyone using a Password manager that they can recommend? Something like LastPass or RoboForm maybe.

It's obviously unsafe using the same password on multiple sites, but it's nearly impossible to keep track of the dozens and dozens of logins and passwords most people have these days.
    [HOME THEATRE]
    Samsung LED HDTV - Pioneer VSX-1014TX (AVR) - Parasound HCA-1200 II - Philips DVP642 (DVD)
    Polk Monitor 10B (Side Surround) - Bang & Olufsen P45 (Rear Surround) - Polk CSi30 (Center Channel)
    SVS PB12-ISD/2 (Sub)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo18 View Post

KeePass works great for me.

http://keepass.info/

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamM2 View Post
    KeePass works great for me.

http://keepass.info/
    Thanks, William, I will check it out.
    Modest HT - Pioneer VSX 821K, RT800i, CS400 center, RT25i surrounds, Velodyne CHT-10 sub, Belkin PF30.
    Bedroom - Yamaha RX-V373, Monitor 7C, CS175i center

Thread Information