Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Tom Cruise - movie star and laserdisc geek

Tom was promoting his latest movie on "The Tonight Show" last night and discussed his fondness for the laserdisc format. This may just be the format's biggest mainstream media exposure. As Tom mentioned to Jimmy Fallon, "Be careful with the fingerprints".....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDyeJwSTA3s#t=193

Hell yea! I love my LD's!
    2 channel rig: SDA 3.1's, Hafler 500, Onkyo p-301, Technics SL 1400

HT: Dennon 1612, Monitor 12's, CS275 Center, coming soon: Monitor 5jr's

Bedroom system: Kenwood KR-V8020 (Needs replacement or repair!) Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12's (Currently in my 2 channel system because I'm an idiot!)

Member Sales Rating: (6)

In the 80's I had a HUGE Pioneer (LD1100?? I think) Laser disk player. When I was moving out of the barracks in Germany, I dropped it down a flight of stairs. It didn't survive.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    In the 80's I had a HUGE Pioneer (LD1100?? I think) Laser disk player. When I was moving out of the barracks in Germany, I dropped it down a flight of stairs. It didn't survive.
    Technically, could it be defined as a casualty of war?
    Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pioneer BDP-51FD | Pangea: AC-9SE, AC-14 PC's
    Monster PowerCenter HTS 5000 | Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100 | Dish HDTV
    Polk: RTi8 Towers, CSi5 Center, F/Xi3 Surrounds, CSi3 Single Rear | Polk Subs: PSW125-12", PSW303-8"
    Douglas Connection: Furez DCF124BW SC's | AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI | Monster: M850 SW-12, ULT I1000FO-4 IC's
    Acoustic Treatments OC703 | Dynamat: Components, Baskets

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Eh, I wouldn't put much stock in anything Tom Cruise has to say. I'm not old enough to know whether LD was all that impressive as a format ... but let's just say he's a talented actor and that is the only thing he has going for him.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

For you LP guys (vinyl, that is). What about the aside on Vinyl by both Cruise and Fallon! That should have made a few here "salivate"! lol They both gave vinyl two thumbs up as "the format" for music.

Having said that, I'm not really a vinyl guy though I do have some and a couple of middling tables from the early '80s.

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by jwhitakr View Post
    Eh, I wouldn't put much stock in anything Tom Cruise has to say. I'm not old enough to know whether LD was all that impressive as a format ... but let's just say he's a talented actor and that is the only thing he has going for him.
    Hey don't put Tom Cruise down he's an awesome guy and I don't care what comes out if his mouth as long as it's " I feel the need, The need for Speed"
    Oblivion was Awesome, what a mind .uck and the making of it was equally Awesome..
    VTL Compact 100 mono blocks, Casta Acoustics Model A's, VTL 5.5 Preamp,Audio Note L3 Phono Stage with audio Note AN-S2 Step Up,HiDiamond H5 Speaker Cables,McCormack DNA 500 ,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT/Technics SL-1200Mk2,Ortofon Cadenza Red/

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Didn't LD actually have lossless audio, vs the compressed audio that DVD ended up with?
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    Hey don't put Tom Cruise down he's an awesome guy and I don't care what comes out if his mouth as long as it's " I feel the need, The need for Speed"
    Oblivion was Awesome, what a mind .uck and the making of it was equally Awesome..
    Tom Bruise is a douche that won't come out of the closet...
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    Didn't LD actually have lossless audio, vs the compressed audio that DVD ended up with?
    I remember a thread here a couple years ago where some guys compared LDS to DVDs and yes they said generally the audio on the LDs was better, but I can't remember if it was uncompressed.

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    I believe so, although the last of the LD players did incorporate Dolby Digital outputs. Some of the LD players are great as CD players/transports.

Btw, the celebrity who was a big LD supporter was the late Robert Urich (SWAT, Vega$, Spencer: For Hire, etc.)....he had his LD collection (vault?) showcased in, I believe, "Home Theater Interiors" magazine. Very impressive.
    Last edited by Danny Tse; 06-06-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Thread Information