Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Doug sells Canare 4S11, but I'm using his Furez wire. I had complained about how bad my speakers sounded at a low volume because a lot of times I just like to chill listening to music at a low to moderate level. The one thing that really stood out about the Furez 12AWG/4 Conductor wire is how much better the music sounded at the lower volume levels that I listen to. I would always slowly raise the volume knob until it sounded good and then look at what number the volume knob was on after. And with the Furez, I saw that I wasn't having to raise the volume as high. It also seemed to bring out more detail in the music. I should mention I have very little experience in trying out different types of cables, so I'm only speaking from my own experience, but I'm very pleased with my choice and it was at a price point I didn't feel comfortable exceeding.
    Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pioneer BDP-51FD | Pangea: AC-9SE, AC-14 PC's
    Monster PowerCenter HTS 5000 | Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100 | Dish HDTV
    Polk: RTi8 Towers, CSi5 Center, F/Xi3 Surrounds, CSi3 Single Rear | Polk Subs: PSW125-12", PSW303-8"
    Douglas Connection: Furez DCF124BW SC's | AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI | Monster: M850 SW-12, ULT I1000FO-4 IC's
    Acoustic Treatments OC703 | Dynamat: Components, Baskets

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoot View Post
    Sorry, five posts and I'm taking a pop at the regulars on here. One glass of Chateau de Plonque too many. The reason I snapped is that I am currently trying to get the readies together to redo some Monitor 10s I got quite a few months back and forgot to budget for cables, so $100 sounds like a lot at the moment when tacked on to the rest of the expense. Thinking of something DIY. Will ask for some opinions in the DIY forum. BTW, good to see that they spell arse correctly in Chicago (I'm English)
    It's all good, no harm no foul.

BTW- we do a lot of things in Chicago....mostly wrong, spelling being one of those. We also tend to run words together, like "whatsamatteru" and "forgetaboutit".

Given you have Musical Fidelity gear, I would make the same comment to you. Your gear deserves better...bluntly put. Kinda like putting fiberglass tires on a Mercedes....no ?

I'm somewhat of an old fart myself and no stranger to being on a budget, bang for your buck, and all around cheap arse. Speaker cables are a matter of personal preference, the Canare mentioned earlier is about the best sound quality per buck you'll find. If you buy used, you can expand your options. Good luck on the Polks and enjoy your tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    BTW- we do a lot of things in Chicago....mostly wrong, spelling being one of those. We also tend to run words together, like "whatsamatteru" and "forgetaboutit".
    Dude, you're in the mafia!
    Polk: RTi8 Towers, CSi5 Center, F/Xi3 Surrounds, CSi3 Single Rear | Polk Subs: PSW125-12", PSW303-8"
    Douglas Connection: Furez DCF124BW SC's | AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI | Monster: M850 SW-12, ULT I1000FO-4 IC's

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitism View Post
    Doug sells Canare 4S11, but I'm using his Furez wire. I had complained about how bad my speakers sounded at a low volume because a lot of times I just like to chill listening to music at a low to moderate level. The one thing that really stood out about the Furez 12AWG/4 Conductor wire is how much better the music sounded at the lower volume levels that I listen to. I would always slowly raise the volume knob until it sounded good and then look at what number the volume knob was on after. And with the Furez, I saw that I wasn't having to raise the volume as high. It also seemed to bring out more detail in the music. I should mention I have very little experience in trying out different types of cables, so I'm only speaking from my own experience, but I'm very pleased with my choice and it was at a price point I didn't feel comfortable exceeding.
    Interesting - did the Canare sound better to you than the Furez at higher volumes? I assume you're bi-wiring if you are using the 4 core. What connectors are you using? These cables are very easy on the wallet - even within my budget.

I've personally never tried the Canare, but it was one I was looking into before buying the Furez. I'm using non-plated copper nanners. Furez TST WP48XLNP on amp end, Furez TST WP30NP on speaker end. They are very soft, so you have to support the weight of the cable to keep from bending them. I used cable ties to anchor them to something. Yes, they are in a bi-wire configuration. I had Doug make them, here is a picture of his work. They are so purdy, I almost ended up laying them out in front of the speakers and TV, instead of behind them.

Name:  DSCN2665.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  106.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitism View Post
    I've personally never tried the Canare, but it was one I was looking into before buying the Furez. I'm using non-plated copper nanners. Furez TST WP48XLNP on amp end, Furez TST WP30NP on speaker end. They are very soft, so you have to support the weight of the cable to keep from bending them. I used cable ties to anchor them to something. Yes, they are in a bi-wire configuration. I had Doug make them, here is a picture of his work. They are so purdy, I almost ended up laying them out in front of the speakers and TV, instead of behind them.
    Wow, beautiful. I'll probably be putting mine together myself, so I'll be hiding them as best I can ! Thanks for your help and info.

I seem to have two threads going on speaker cables - other is in the DIY forum - so I'll move there.

Most people here will probably say the only thing bi-wire does is increase the gauge. Some people think it makes a difference, some don't. But it served a purpose for me because my speakers have four binding posts. Everyone here seems to think that replacing the stock jumpers on a speaker with four posts, with high quality wire or the same wire you are using for speaker cables is a great tweak resulting in better sound. Going with a bi-wire configuration eliminated the need for jumpers in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoot View Post
    I seem to have two threads going on speaker cables - other is in the DIY forum - so I'll move there.
    I'll go over there and recommend something different. lol

edit: I'm kidding.
    Last edited by Hermitism; 06-08-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Oleboot,

Since your into DIY cables, I have a boat load of RCA cables that may need a solder or 2, some that need nothing too. Also a set of Monster bi-wire speaker cables. All yours if you want them. Like I said, I can relate to being old...and cheap. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Oleboot,

Since your into DIY cables, I have a boat load of RCA cables that may need a solder or 2, some that need nothing too. Also a set of Monster bi-wire speaker cables. All yours if you want them. Like I said, I can relate to being old...and cheap. LOL

Tony, thanks that is very thoughtful and generous of you. I'm thinking ahead a bit talking about cables at the moment, as I have to do the work on the Monitor 10's first - may well be back you on this if the well dries up! My time for this project keeps getting ambushed, to wit: I'm driving home yesterday thinking I should at least be able to get the rest of the vinyl off the cabinets and sanded, when I turn into my driveway to be greeted by an Everest sized pile of mulch, which I apparently knew we would be spreading on the flower beds this weekend! And then there's LeMans this weekend and England in the World Cup later...................

Cool, give me a shout when your ready.

BTW- I'm Italian....and England had their chances but couldn't deliver.

Great thread. Right on time for my pea brain too!! Thanks all.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it!!"

I would be happy to make you a pair of cables for 100 bucks.
    This is Ixos cable and ends.
    The bananas may have to be Monoprice because Im getting low on Ixos ends. But the Monoprice bananas are nice too.

I could hit the end of the jackets with shrink wrap to give it a professional finish look too.
    PM if you're interested.

Last edited by RamZet; 06-21-2014 at 12:47 PM.
    2CH Setup.
    CM9
    Sonos Pre-Amp
    Crestron CNAMPX16x60 (Bridge Mode)
    MIT AVT2 Interconnects

Thread Information