Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY Cables

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default DIY Cables

Anyone try any of the many DIY speaker cable recipes out there on the interweb with any success? Or have their own? Didn't come up with anything searching on here. I need some not horrible cable on a tight budget.

Nbrowser seems happy with his canare 4s11. If you're on a budget I highly recommend the Pnf audio cables I mentioned in the other thread. They bested many an expensive cable in my rig until I got Doug's alpha cables in there.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Just got pointed to the Douglas Connection site in another thread - good stuff there and food for thought. Th PNF Audio site s giving me a cryptic message at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoot View Post
    Just got pointed to the Douglas Connection site in another thread - good stuff there and food for thought. Th PNF Audio site s giving me a cryptic message at the moment.
    Doug's a great guy. I suggest talking to him as he can customize the cables to be within your budget. That and he's a really cool guy. I've got a loaner set of his speaker cables and interconnects.

I put his stuff on par with my Kimber Kable Hero interconnects & Kimber Kable 8VS speaker wire. And his stuff is cheaper .

PNF Audio IIRC went under so your only going to find used stuff on the market.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

I'll add to what DSkip said, I went from 12 gauge zip cord speaker wire to the Canare 4S11, unterminated in a bi-wire arrangement and it knocked the socks off the zip cord by a country mile or hundred. That said I have upgraded that to premade cables but retained a piece of the 4S11 for my centre channel. Bang for the dollar it's extremely nice cabling. Brought out better bass, better detail in the midrange and highs while knocking some of the "bright" off the A7 towers. I'd run it on any budget rig over standard copper or CCA any day. Hell I even upgraded my boss's extremely modest HT to all 4S11, big improvements all around for a reasonable cost.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Doug will sell you the raw cable--then you can diy,, highly recommended seller-- great guy to boot--I will have the opportunity of meeting him and getting a tutorial on cables this fall,,on my annual trek to the mountains of NC.

Good luck!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Doug's a great guy. I suggest talking to him as he can customize the cables to be within your budget. That and he's a really cool guy. I've got a loaner set of his speaker cables and interconnects.

I put his stuff on par with my Kimber Kable Hero interconnects & Kimber Kable 8VS speaker wire. And his stuff is cheaper .

PNF Audio IIRC went under so your only going to find used stuff on the market.

I'll definitely get in touch with Doug when I'm ready - just got to rebuild/refinish my Monitor 10s first, which will probably take quite some time as I tend to move slow .

Just out of curiosity, anybody here have any opinions on this guy? http://www.geocities.ws/jonrisch/s2.htm

Member Sales Rating: (10)

he's a diy guru.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Quote Originally Posted by marvda1 View Post
    he's a diy guru.

Thought he might be. So anyone tried any of his Belden speaker cable recommendations?

Do they have to be good looking?

How long is your cable requirement?
    Main System- Scratch built 2A3 , Lightspeed preamp, Technics SP15/Graham/XV1s,Klipschorns w/ALK xovers/Trachorns, Speakercraft MT8(4), Sonos ZP90, Yamaha Aventage for surround
    Office System- Adcom GTP500, Bedini 45/45,Lexicon RT-20,Enlightened Audio DAC, Polk SDA2.3TL, Northcreek Borealis

Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    Do they have to be good looking?
    Cables or DIY gurus? Cables no.
    Last edited by OleBoot; 06-09-2014 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deafbykhorns View Post
    How long is your cable requirement?
    For a 2 channel system, so stereo pair, maybe 8-10 ft each.

All my cabling is DIY, so these suggestions are from from personal experience.

For speaker cables I built these: http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html They are fantastic, but . . . . . are fairly labor intensive and must be built using Belden (or some other teflon insulated) 1585A CAT 5 wire. The inner 8 wires are the ones that have to be teflon insulated as you discard the outer sheath. Imaging, transients, and smooth response across the frequency spectrum are the outstanding qualities it brings to my system.

For IC's I built his Finesilvers, the recipe can be found here: http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html. These are astonishingly good. I built mine with Eichmann silver bullets and 32 awg teflon insulated wire I bought from McMaster-Carr. Materials cost was around $175 IIRC.

Jon Risch is a well respected DIY guru, but from the posts I've read where folks have tried both his and those of Chris VH, the Venhaus recipes are better. The only Risch cable recipe I've built is an IC I use for my subwoofer. It's good, but I've only compared it to some cheaper AR IC's, which it easily bested.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Quote Originally Posted by drumminman View Post
    All my cabling is DIY, so these suggestions are from from personal experience.

For speaker cables I built these: http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html They are fantastic, but . . . . . are fairly labor intensive and must be built using Belden (or some other teflon insulated) 1585A CAT 5 wire. The inner 8 wires are the ones that have to be teflon insulated as you discard the outer sheath. Imaging, transients, and smooth response across the frequency spectrum are the outstanding qualities it brings to my system.

For IC's I built his Finesilvers, the recipe can be found here: http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html. These are astonishingly good. I built mine with Eichmann silver bullets and 32 awg teflon insulated wire I bought from McMaster-Carr. Materials cost was around $175 IIRC.

Jon Risch is a well respected DIY guru, but from the posts I've read where folks have tried both his and those of Chris VH, the Venhaus recipes are better. The only Risch cable recipe I've built is an IC I use for my subwoofer. It's good, but I've only compared it to some cheaper AR IC's, which it easily bested.

I've seen a few recipes out there using CAT5, and they've always interested me - never seen this one before, and it does look intricate and, yes, time consuming. Definitely something to add to my when I retire list (not long now!). At the moment, however, I am looking for some sort of economical but not too horrible solution for some Monitor 10s I am just about to embark on rebuilding. I was looking at Risch's recommendations on off the shelf Belden coaxial. I've never used coaxial for speaker cable before, and wondered if anybody here had.

Audio Advisor has many no thrills AQ cables that they terminate how you want them. the type 4 at 8' pair cost $109 and the type 8 8' pair about $200. they have type 2 - rocket 33's etc..

I used the rocket 33's with my RTiA7's, but I just got some Monitor 10's and will probably have Doug make my cables this time when I figure out what I need.

Spend the money on the alpha cables and thank me later. Still the best cables I've heard.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Thanks, All. Lots to think about!

I like good ole welding cable, #6 with a 150 or so strands. Its like bolting the amp to the back of your speaker.
    Dress it up with some cool wrap and you have yourself some nice cables.
    Main System- Scratch built 2A3 , Lightspeed preamp, Technics SP15/Graham/XV1s,Klipschorns w/ALK xovers/Trachorns, Speakercraft MT8(4), Sonos ZP90, Yamaha Aventage for surround
    Office System- Adcom GTP500, Bedini 45/45,Lexicon RT-20,Enlightened Audio DAC, Polk SDA2.3TL, Northcreek Borealis

Thread Information