Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Last piece in my stereo puzzle . SACD Player..What is the good SACD player you heard

Here is my stereo setup up to now..

Custom Built High Performance Media Server
    PS Audio PWD MKII DAC
    CARY SLP05
    PARASOUND JC1's
    LSIM 707

And Yes MIT Shotgun S3 XLRs...

Though I am happy with my media server and DAC as source, I want take it up to next level...

I would greatly appreciate if you could share your opinions on a good SACD .... I am not looking for the greatest SACD player out there ....

With price being the objective what is the good SACD player you have heard best sonic/blissful bang for the buck
    Last edited by Sumerian; 06-11-2014 at 09:03 PM.

What price objective are you thinking about?
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.

New or used with 3k cut off.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

What makes you think a SACD player will take your system to the next level? Does your DAC do DSD & Hi-Rez?
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    What makes you think a SACD player will take your system to the next level? Does your DAC do DSD & Hi-Rez?
    Nope it doesn't...

My entire collection is in Flacs
    Last edited by Sumerian; 06-11-2014 at 10:46 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Sony SCD-XA5400ES. One sold here used for about $700. New around $1,300.

Marantz SA-8004 is also very good
    Carl

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by Sumerian View Post
    New or used with 3k cut off.
    I'm not 100% sure of the used prices, but I think you should be able to find one in your price range. Look into Esoteric, Marantz or one of the Cary players.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

If the SQ of my Marantz CD6004 is any indication, I'd have no issues sinking a grand in a SA8005 or better.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Modwright Oppo 105 might need to be on that list as well. As much love as the unit gets unmodded, I've heard that Modwright completely transforms it.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by schwarcw View Post
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES. One sold here used for about $700. New around $1,300.
    I agree. I sold it. However, at this point I would not buy a new one simply because it does not have a digital input. Of course, if you already have a DAC then that point is moot. Modwright will also hot rod it if you want. With that said, I rarely use my other XA5400ES, and then it is just to evaluate a CD to determine if it is good enough for the music server.

I bought a Marantz SA-8001 for $400.00 a few years ago and have never even thought of upgrading.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Modwright Oppo 105 might need to be on that list as well. As much love as the unit gets unmodded, I've heard that Modwright completely transforms it.
    I've read the same thing. I love my unmodded 105!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

I have the Marantz SA8005 and I really love it, and I also using it as my DAC for my PC and my high-res files using Jriver. Now it is the only SACD player I have ever used or heard so I have nothing to compare it to. oops wrong I have OPPO in my HT set-up which can and does play SACD's also, and I used it on SACD only when I have a hybrid that does 5.1 otherwise I use the Marantz which is part of my separate 2 channel set-up.
    I can not say which is best because they are hooked up in 2 different systems in 2 different settings, so its different equipment and speakers so its hard to compare.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

If you really want to take it to the next step, go vinyl! Having said that what the others have said above plus the NAD M-55 are good choices. What I like about the M-55 is it's Redbook CD performance is outstanding also. This is not always the case with some SACD players.

Something to think about....to see how the Oppo 105(SABRE32 Reference ES9018 DAC) sounds vs. the PS Audio(Wolfson WM8741 DAC)

Might be able to simplify by moving the PS Audio out of the system and rocking the Oppo as an-all-in one solution?

Oppo 105 or PS Audio PWD Mk2
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...gtl&1364939266

Like others here...some suggested the 105 w/ the Modwright mod.
    Last edited by WLDock; 06-12-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    Something to think about....to see how the Oppo 105(SABRE32 Reference ES9018 DAC) sounds vs. the PS Audio(Wolfson WM8741 DAC)

Might be able to simplify by moving the PS Audio out of the system and rocking the Oppo as an-all-in one solution?

Oppo 105 or PS Audio PWD Mk2
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...gtl&1364939266

Like others here...some suggested the 105 w/ the Modwright mod.

Thanks for the link

from what I read in that thread most of them seem to prefer PS Audio DAC

Take it all with a grain of salt. The main reason the post was linked were the great points that were brought up about computer audio sounding better due to no transport in the mix.
    This is the highest level of critical music listening and only the sum of parts combined with the ears of the individual can say what sounds best in their system. If you are willing to spend up to $3K on just an SACD transport then we can see why some suggested the Oppo with the mod. The reviews and feedback is all there to support that transport, DAC, and analog audio being on par with units costing much more.

Of course there has to be tons of options at your price point as well as used transports.. Depends on what route you consider fun.
    Last edited by WLDock; 06-13-2014 at 11:38 AM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Member Sales Rating: (14)

+1 for Marantz. I have the SA-8004, love it. And you'll have enough money leftover to get a nice turntable and a cartridge!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

^^^^^^^

I double that :)

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    +1 for Marantz. I have the SA-8004, love it. And you'll have enough money leftover to get a nice turntable and a cartridge!
    And I triple it the SA8004 is a sweet value... and with the new SA8005 out i would guess there are some available for no pun intended... a song.
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's VR3 LSi 9's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS4 Directv Genie HD DVR Samsung 64" Plasma

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's SDA SRS 2.3's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre

I don't know man, it's almost like you're taking a step backwards. If you already have a great custom built music server why not move your current DAC out & replace it w/ one that does DSD & Hi-Rez. The only reason I can think of to get a stand alone SACD player is if you have a huge library of SACD's & don't want to repurchase the same material. Other than that a DSD/ Hi-Rez DAC is a match made in heaven for your system.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

I don't know man, it's almost like you're taking a step backwards. If you already have a great custom built music server why not move your current DAC out & replace it w/ one that does DSD & Hi-Rez. The only reason I can think of to get a stand alone SACD player is if you have a huge library of SACD's & don't want to repurchase the same material. Other than that a DSD/ Hi-Rez DAC is a match made in heaven for your system.
    Point Taken. makes sense.

I believed/believe... media server + DAC < CD/SACD player in terms of sonic quality.
    Don't the players have better implementation thanks a stand alone server and DAC?

I thought storing the media in digital media is a compromise in sonic quality for ease of operation

Yeah, these guys here are also making the point about the better sound of computer audio. Its the future!

Given where you are already and the fact that you want to upgrade ....it would be a shame to not listen to some of these new DAC's that are out. There's just so much out there to listen to....a millions DACs in every price range!

If I were where your in your shoes I would really want to check out the Cord Electronics DSD/DXD DACs...as well as others. I think I said that in one of your older posts. Intriguing technology and awesome reviews. but damn! $3K-4K on a DAC! Waay out of my league....and I'm not even on the 2 ch road just yet. However, you just might have to check that stuff out if you want to take it to another level. You seem to moving at a pretty good pace...cool to watch from the sidelines. LOL!
    FAMILY ROOM

They make a very good point about the DAC. with SACD & Vinyl your always listening to 1 at a time, and if you went more with your server and HI-REZ downloads you have more of playlist choice. SACD's and vinyl cost a lot these days (unless you manly get older vinyl) but so do HI-Rez files. So much to think about before you choose you direction. I'm also working on re ripping all my CD's into flac's or alac's to go with what few Hi-Rez downloads I have and playing everything thru my Marantz's DAC. I'm always thinking now do I buy the SACD? or the Vinyl or do I buy the Hi-Rez download?

Quote Originally Posted by Sumerian View Post
    Point Taken. makes sense.

I believed/believe... media server + DAC < CD/SACD player in terms of sonic quality.
    Don't the players have better implementation thanks a stand alone server and DAC?

I thought storing the media in digital media is a compromise in sonic quality for ease of operation
    Your last statement..."I thought storing the media in digital media is a compromise in sonic quality for ease of operation" has me scratching my head a bit. What exactly do you think CD/SACD's are? They are nothing more than a disc that stores digital media. The same exact thing that your music server does, only better. The ease of operation is one heck of a bonus though. As I said before unless you have a huge library of SACD's there in no advantage in going with a stand alone player. Music server, DSD & Hi-Rez DAC are far superior in my opinion. Ever wonder why at the audio shows the overwhelming majority of exhibitors are running servers. And most folks now bring their music on USB's. You have to look hard to find a disc spinner in their rooms. There's a good reason for that. I think you'll actually find more vinyl than CD players also. I believe the CD is somewhat of a dead format.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    If I were where your in your shoes I would really want to check out the Cord Electronics DSD/DXD DACs...as well as others. I think I said that in one of your older posts. Intriguing technology and awesome reviews. but damn! $3K-4K on a DAC! Waay out of my league....and I'm not even on the 2 ch road just yet. However, you just might have to check that stuff out if you want to take it to another level. You seem to moving at a pretty good pace...cool to watch from the sidelines. LOL!
    Yes I do remember that discussion .... Finally I pulled the trigger on PS Audio MKII with bridge... If I have to upgrade my DAC I think I will go for PS Audio DirectStream ... Allegedly it will upstream every thing to DSD.

Your last statement..."I thought storing the media in digital media is a compromise in sonic quality for ease of operation" has me scratching my head a bit. What exactly do you think CD/SACD's are? They are nothing more than a disc that stores digital media. The same exact thing that your music server does, only better. The ease of operation is one heck of a bonus though. As I said before unless you have a huge library of SACD's there in no advantage in going with a stand alone player. Music server, DSD & Hi-Rez DAC are far superior in my opinion. Ever wonder why at the audio shows the overwhelming majority of exhibitors are running servers. And most folks now bring their music on USB's. You have to look hard to find a disc spinner in their rooms. There's a good reason for that. I think you'll actually find more vinyl than CD players also. I believe the CD is somewhat of a dead format.

I totally hear you....

Went to Audio showroom yesterday to check some equipment and demo SACD players... They didn't had any SACD players on demo.

But they had a B&W 800 speakers hooked up with McinTosh Amp, McinTosh Premamp, McinTosh Room correction which is fed through a Desktop with Jriver....

Diana Krall My love is ... literally bought me to my knees .... It sounded like I never heard before ... It is literally Day and Night difference.

Anyways just asserting your point
    Last edited by Sumerian; 06-14-2014 at 10:35 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

The same exact thing that your music server does, only better.
    Better how?

I believe the CD is somewhat of a dead format.
    Total value of CD albums (includes SACD) was $2.4 billion in 2013.

Total value of digital albums was $1.2 billion in 2013.

Total value of vinyl albums was $211 million in 2013.

CD/SACD's are far, far from a dead format.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Wow !... I knew vinyls are back but I never would have guessed this numbers.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

While I can agree the world in general seems to moving to the digital server options, I still prefer a good SACD/CDP over digital downloads for overall sound quality. That's not to say good sound, even great sound can't be had in the computer realm.

Trying to simplify a SACD/CDP as just another digital copy on a disc is too easy, simply more to it than that. Maybe it's the better built analog output stages, maybe the laser reading the files, maybe the shortness of all the connections inside a player that eliminates the influences of additional cabling. Can't say for sure, all I know is they sound slightly better.

Thread Information