Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Audioquest offerings locally.

I sense a 30+page debate here...can we try to avoid it folks? Just need some advice is all!

Ok, a local store sells Audioquest ICs, I sent them an email asking what they'd recommend to upgrade my 15 year old ICs that have deathgrip ends by the feel of it, don't laugh...Optex Pro Series. Anyways This store has recommended the Evergreen line of ICs at $35 a pop for a 1 meter run. I'd need two. But I'm not abject to going higher up the Audioquest chain. Sure I'd love to order from say BJC or Douglas Connection but I live a life free of credit cards and Paypal so I tend to shop locally.

In essence folks, what from AQ's product line up would keep the warm feeling in my rig without bringing out the bright in the towers that I've surprisingly managed to eliminate with a good AVR, fine amp and fairly nice speaker cables. My current ICs I know aren't the best and while they are 15 years old and sound "good" I'm sure I can do better. That said however I'd like to keep the prices to average joe type affordability so feel free to let the opinions fly but c'mon we don't need no fighting here, keep it fun as this hobby can be fun and trust me...the fun I had with the rig in stereo mode on the weekend can only get better!

Oh the system getting new ICs, the living room one...from CDP to AVR then from AVR to the powerplant as I like to call it now.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Find a way to get some money to Doug if you're looking for a budget IC. Mail a check or something, but his should be on the top of your list.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

DSkip, I'd love to give his cable wizardry a shot but shipping I know would turn it into a huge expense. It cost $35 US to get my speaker cables from the Seattle area to Abbotsford BC Canada, a 2.5 hour drive on a good day. (Hope zingo didn't lose on that deal but I haven't heard from him since I received the package, damn fine guy to deal with!). Maybe Doug gets deals with his preferred choice of courier company.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Aren't there hidden border tunnels you can use, just like we have on our Mexican border? I guess there aren't too many Canadians trying to sneek into the USA.
    Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pioneer BDP-51FD | Pangea: AC-9SE, AC-14 PC's
    Monster PowerCenter HTS 5000 | Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100 | Dish HDTV
    Polk: RTi8 Towers, CSi5 Center, F/Xi3 Surrounds, CSi3 Single Rear | Polk Subs: PSW125-12", PSW303-8"
    Douglas Connection: Furez DCF124BW SC's | AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI | Monster: M850 SW-12, ULT I1000FO-4 IC's
    Acoustic Treatments OC703 | Dynamat: Components, Baskets

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Those are absolute bottom of the barrel Audioquest. I would go with Blue Jean LC1's a million times more than those even if you have to pay extra shipping.
    2 channel - Parasound A21 amp, PS Audio PWD MKII w/bridge, modded EE Minimax pre, ML Source speakers, Kimber 4TC, Gabriel Gold Rapture V3/Silnote Morpheus Ref. II IC's, Ps Audio AC5, AC3 and Pangea AC14XL power cords
    HT - Pio. Elite VSX21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panny DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk RC85i in-wall speakers
    Computer - Windows 7/JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

Quote Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
    Sure I'd love to order from say BJC or Douglas Connection but I live a life free of credit cards and Paypal so I tend to shop locally.
    That's impressive. I couldn't exist at this point without a CC, which I pay off every month.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Here's the low down on Audioquest. They make all their cable to perfection even at the Evergreen level. This is a fantastic cable and I suggest you compare it to cables costing 2 to 3 times it's price.
    What Audioquest has figured out which many wire companies lack in is the gain on the copper and the geometry in the build. Once these 2 things are in place, it's really hard to mess up a IC.
    Feel good that you only have to spend little to get a lot.

Side note going up the line yields little benefits baby steps if you will because of how good their entry level stuff is. I have compared Audioquest entry level cables to much higher end cables and was shocked how well they did.
    I basically know everything about Audioquest so anything you need to know feel free to ask.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

I have Evergreens (ICs) and Forests (HDMIs) in my HT and have zero complaints at all.
    Considering the price I paid on Amazon is right in line what you would be paying locally, you are on the same base, let alone the same ballpark.
    They are solid cables for the money.

Considering the self imposed limitations you are faced with, with not using a credit card or Paypal, you have selected probably the best option available to you at a budget price.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

mantis and ZLTFUL, it's the brick and mortar store that suggested the Evergreen ICs, they also did recommend the Big Sur ICs but they only have them in 2 meter lengths...$140 a pop . They also sent PDFs of both cables and it seems like they aren't cutting much in the way of corners with the Evergreens at $35 a pop at 1 meter. I just know there's more "performance" in my gear and just want to exploit it well. But like I said, I'm open to other suggestions from the AQ offerings as this place said they can get anything special ordered for a reasonable cost. Then again I am also looking for an excuse to move things around in my rack to make room for the TT...which I dearly miss in the mix so new cables would be a cause of that
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

I have some king cobras and love em. Look around you should be able to pick up a pair used in great condition for hundred bucks. Well worth it.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a
    McIntosh MC 2120 bi-amped
    Into JBL L123 drivers
    Rane external crossover.
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    ADCOM GDA 700 DAC ( MODDED)
    YAMMY CDC-665
    Marantz 6100 tt w/pickering XV-15/625E cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    POLK RTA-12C'S W/ RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills risistors (full mod)
    MIT exps2 speaker cable

Mantis, send me a PM with what you know, basics if you could. I can set up an appointment this week to audition them.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

I have Blue Jean LC1's between my sunfire and elite, they are a great cable. Since my amp sits right beside the receiver I was able to make the length pretty short, If I recall correctly I think I only paid 100$ shipped up to Canada and that was for 7 of them. I also have audio quest forest hdmi's, about 6 in total, they are an excellent cable, I was having hand shake issues with my mono price cables and the audio quests fixed things up nicely. Can't go wrong either way!

Quote Originally Posted by soundfreak1 View Post
    I have some king cobras and love em. Look around you should be able to pick up a pair used in great condition for hundred bucks. Well worth it.
    Like soundfreak1, I have several sets of King Cobras (RCAs and XLRs), and I have been very happy with them. I did notice an appreciable improvement when I upgraded to Sky ICs in some applications, but I have no complaints about the King Cobras. They are a good cable for the $s.
    Family Room
    PS Audio PW MKII DAC, PW Transport; AQ Vodka IC
    Perreaux SM6P MKII Preamp, AQ Sky XLRs
    Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps, Morrow SP7 Cables
    SDA SRS 1.2as (RD0194s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: Xovers & Binding Post Cups, SDA Inductors & Interconnect Cables)

Exercise Room
    Wadia 171i, Supernova 6 Glass Toslink
    CA Azur 840C, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Perreaux SM6P Preamp & PMF3150 Amp, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Dreadnought
    SDA 1Cs (Mod'd)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I run evergreens on all my IC's they are on the warm side IMO. I had Diamondbacks then went back to Canare L-5CFB which I think is very good cable. I got a great deal from some seller on 6sets so I bit. I like the fact that they are two in one and very easy to route as they are so thin. I'd like to move up a bit to the other new IC's from AQ but at this time I'm sticking with evergreens.

pitdogg, thank you for the info, I do like a warm sound, that said how are they on the highend of the frequency spectrum? I have done a lot to curb the typical RTiA brightness, good amp, decent speaker cables, a wee bit of EQ/tone controlling and it's coming together nicely. Just want to keep on that march to pure joy with my modest system.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I have found AQ's solid copper topology to be better suited for those looking for little more top end sparkle. For warm, I'd look elsewhere. Just my observations. BTW, AQ are tighter than hell on a RCA jack--at least any I have owned. I broke 2 sets trying to unplug them; this lead to my Kimber purchase.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Here's about the only review I found on the Evergreens.
    http://www.whathifi.com/review/audioquest-evergreen
    2 channel - Parasound A21 amp, PS Audio PWD MKII w/bridge, modded EE Minimax pre, ML Source speakers, Kimber 4TC, Gabriel Gold Rapture V3/Silnote Morpheus Ref. II IC's, Ps Audio AC5, AC3 and Pangea AC14XL power cords
    HT - Pio. Elite VSX21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panny DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk RC85i in-wall speakers
    Computer - Windows 7/JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

pitdogg, thank you for the info, I do like a warm sound, that said how are they on the highend of the frequency spectrum? I have done a lot to curb the typical RTiA brightness, good amp, decent speaker cables, a wee bit of EQ/tone controlling and it's coming together nicely. Just want to keep on that march to pure joy with my modest system.
    I've heard worse sounding cables they aren't them. See if you can follow this train of thought. I have both Denon2900 and Sony ES X33 cd player and Sony 9000es dvd/sacd player. I can only tell the Sony gear has to me slightly more high end like turning the treble knob to 2 maybe 3 as opposed to Denon at -1...slightly less ring as opposed to a little longer ring on cymbals. Think I might have a pair if you want to try? I'll check....

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    , AQ are tighter than hell on a RCA jack--at least any I have owned. I broke 2 sets trying to unplug them; this lead to my Kimber purchase.
    Steve I have never found any of that with any AQ I have ever tried. In fact when my 800 series Monsters took a bite of my IC connection I went back to AQ as all I ever had were very easy to get on and off. I always thought air tight IC were a god send until....that fix me bill...Now if I must try to get them on they do not go on ANYTHING.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Just tossing out my experience with AQ cabling - each and every one of their offerings will sound different.

I went up the chain from Copperheads, Diamondback, King Cobras, then to the Columbias, then over to a used set of Jaguars.

The Jaguars were the "Goldilocks" I was looking for in my rig, but nods of respect going all the way back down to the Copperheads. The Columbias were brutally revealing and the King Cobras kinda muddied the sound in my rig, just saying from what I heard.

I don't think one can say there is a 'house sound' for AQs....the rabbit hole is in front of you....only you can decide to go in....

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Heh more email exchange with the store...a mention of Nordost White Lightening interconnects...definitely out of the budget but damn appealing nonetheless...I'll be visiting said store on the weekend to actually see the Evergreens and hear them, granted not on gear like mine aside from a CD6004 they have. but they did say I could bring my ICs to do an A/B with...could be interesting...as long as they don't subject me to the big Focals again...lol

Might actually consider putting the Big Sur's in the mix...never know what could turn my ear.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Yaknow, there was a day when I thought wire was wire...not anymore.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

If you take gear in to do a side by side, you need to know what you want to improve in your system. For instance, if you want a quieter noise floor, you listen for an improvement in that on the system you hear them on. If you want quicker bass, see if that improved. Don't judge how the IC's mesh in the demo system - pay attention to what they do to its sound. What can make one system harsh can make another simply sparkle.

Keep in mind that the opposite is true too.
    Last edited by DSkip; 06-19-2014 at 11:06 AM.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    If you take gear in to do a side by side, you need to know what you want to improve in your system. For instance, if you want a quieter noise floor, you listen for an improvement in that on the system you hear them on. If you want quicker bass, see if that improved. Don't judge how the IC's mesh in the demo system - pay attention to what they do to its sound. What can make one system harsh can make another simply sparkle.

Keep in mind that the opposite is true too.

very wise advice..

Member Sales Rating: (6)

As you can see, cable opinions are all over the map. I found the Sidewinder/Copperhead to sound identical (and I liked them), but found Diamondback a bit dry and 2-dimensional (the most expensive of the 3, so much for placebo). I really like AQ speaker cables, and owned Type 4 and Granite.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

DSkip, I"m going in with an open mind pure and simple. At $35 1M if the Evergreens seem to be a step or three up, I'll consider em, if when I get em home they don't work so well in my rig, flipping them won't be too much of a loss so to speak. I"m going in with an open mind, something I had the day I started adding and replacing a few pieces here and there that obviously have had positive impacts and some that left a lot to be desired. One thing I've learned in this journey is you don't really know what's gonna happen til you try something, isn't that part of the journey/hobby ? :)
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

DSkip, I"m going in with an open mind pure and simple. At $35 1M if the Evergreens seem to be a step or three up, I'll consider em, if when I get em home they don't work so well in my rig, flipping them won't be too much of a loss so to speak. I"m going in with an open mind, something I had the day I started adding and replacing a few pieces here and there that obviously have had positive impacts and some that left a lot to be desired. One thing I've learned in this journey is you don't really know what's gonna happen til you try something, isn't that part of the journey/hobby ? :)
    My point is just that the cables will make the same changes in your rig that they do in the demo rig. If you're lacking details and the new cables add more detail, then you may want to grab them. If you lose detail, then they aren't the right ones for you. When I shop for something I have a checklist in my head on what my system does right and what it does wrong. It then becomes a balancing act between the two categories. Sometimes you get lucky and a component does nothing but add to the rig, but at budget prices this is not a common occurrence.

DSkip, thank you much for the advice, you guys have no idea what it means to me he able to bounce ideas here and get actual help as the scene locally is kind of small and I have a strong distaste for the usual salesman blabber. I'll be going to audition tomorrow with a few well known to me discs and they will set up a CD6004 as the source, a unit I'm familiar with. I just asked that the amp and speakers aren't the high end of the high end but down to earth gear representative of modest budgets. I'll be listening for the suggested areas between my ICs and the Evergreens, detail, brightness, top end compression and warmth/low end.

If things improve on the demo system IC to IC then I'll buy, if not well, I've gained some knowledge.

I'll agree on budget pieces being hit or miss, I fondly remember AVRgate and finally finding my poison in my beautiful less than half price Onkyo AVR, that was a short road trip in my journey that flat out was a challenge!
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Mantis, send me a PM with what you know, basics if you could. I can set up an appointment this week to audition them.
    I just found this , For basic's with Audioquest is they build all their cables correctly. They don't skimp out on even the very entry level models which is why they sound so much better then most others.
    They pay full attention to the metal they use. They use very high quality Copper and Silver. Even in the banana ends or Spades which over the years I never really thought about, they use high quality copper and plated Silver over Copper instead of Nickel like most other companies use. Even at this point they are still paying attention to the signal and all of it's pathways.
    Geometry is key when building a conductor. The Electrical relationship between 2 conductors is key. They make sure even at entry level cables have perfect geometry.
    Dielectics which they use top quality materials and even use batteries to charge on their higher end cables so they are always run in. This is pretty serious.
    Solid core conductors. Audioquest believes in the way the signal travels down the wire. Using high strand count in wire causes issues and using more solid core conductors help eliminate these issues.

Audioquest IMO is the only company you ned to buy wires from. Most others don't measure up but some do. Only a few companies I believe fully in and Audioquest is my top brand.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Mantis, thank you muchly. At least I'm going in armed with enough information to help me buy the cables, my speaker cables were on a whim of sorts and worked out damn well. But the way the gear is interconnected is also important, besides my old cheap deathgrip ICs have to go!
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004