Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Subwoofer Build

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Subwoofer Build

I have a spare FI Q series and Inifinity Perfect 12 subwoofers and am going to build a box for HT use with one of them. What do you guys think I should tune the box for? 25HZ? Any ideas? Any suggestions on amps to use?
    Too many good quotes to list..waiting for some fresh ammo. :)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

17Hz

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    17Hz
    I was thinking 33.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by villian View Post
    I was thinking 33.
    33 for HT? Thant's not a sub, more of a MBM...
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX01 AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Sony CDP-C8ESD CDP, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's

I was thinking 33.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken brydson View Post
    Yup...

Shoot for at least 20, but sub 20 is where its at..

Regarding amps, what ohm rating are the subs at?

I am a big fan of the Dayton SA-1000 amp which can do up to 1k watts @ 4 ohms.

P.S. recent article in HT shack suggested shooting for 7hz if possible
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by ken brydson View Post
    33 for the women, but I suppose my HT does trump that! (Dunno if anyone picked up on the 33hz trick joke I made..) Any thoughts about going sealed instead of ported for HT use? I'm guessing I'll aim to port right at 20-25? Anyone know what most LFE signals consist of?
    Last edited by villian; 06-18-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Yup...

Shoot for at least 20, but sub 20 is where its at..

Regarding amps, what ohm rating are the subs at?

I am a big fan of the Dayton SA-1000 amp which can do up to 1k watts @ 4 ohms.

P.S. recent article in HT shack suggested shooting for 7hz if possible
    Awesome, thanks! Sub 20 seems surreal. Ears only hear down to 20, but I guess you can feel it all :D I might have to switch to something larger if sub 20 is going to be the case. Maybe an IA 21", pretty sure I still have at least the basket of one floating around. Pretty much everything I run has dual 4 ohm coils, the infinity perfect 12 should be a single 4. I'll wire them accordingly to whichever amp I go with. 2-8ohm preferred. Just depends.

Should I even bother looking at parts express plate amps, or just shoot for a rackmount/standalone amp?

33 for the women, but I suppose my HT does trump that! Any thoughts about going sealed instead of ported for HT use? I'm guessing I'll aim to port right at 20-25? Anyone know what most LFE signals consist of?
    Sealed will require a MASSIVE box to get to 20 or below with a decent SPL due to the rolloff of the sub unless you use EQ such as a Linkwitz Transform.

Ported will be the best shot for you but then drop like a rock after its tuning.

LFE consists of whatever the producer adds to it. And while the % of sub 20hz signal in a movie may be less than 10%, it brings a grin to your face when you physically FEEL it without hearing it...

Thats what I am shooting for.

But can your subs even get that low is the question?

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Sealed has to be quite large for those frequencies, but not that large. Check out NHT SubTwo - dual-10, 21Hz at -3dB, sealed enclosure.

And regarding hearing down to 20Hz. You FEEL the real bass. My Velodyne ULD-15 15" sealed (again, not that big IMHO) goes down to 18Hz, and it's awesome!

I got a buddy who built a sonotube tuned to 17Hz... U571-Pearl Harbor movie will make you feel like someone just unloaded a viscous body punch right in the chest area.....you can over pressure a room and on his it certainly can hurt your ear drums from pressure.

I got a buddy who built a sonotube tuned to 17Hz... U571-Pearl Harbor movie will make you feel like someone just unloaded a viscous body punch right in the chest area.....you can over pressure a room and on his it certainly can hurt your ear drums from pressure.
    That's one of my plans, if I get to it. They're relatively easy to build and tune.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ished...Almost
    Center: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, H-Nuts, BH5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Sounds like my PCPlus
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX01 AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Sony CDP-C8ESD CDP, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's

I have one enclosure right now that will do a cool running 158db, but that's at 66hz! Another will do 140's at 45ish. I'm not too worried about spl, I'm just wanting to get the right bass extension and get something that'll thump well below hearing level. Just for those sound effects that need it.

I have one enclosure right now that will do a cool running 158db, but that's at 66hz! Another will do 140's at 45ish. I'm not too worried about spl, I'm just wanting to get the right bass extension and get something that'll thump well below hearing level. Just for those sound effects that need it.
    158dB? You know that 140dB is the threshold of pain for the ears? 150dB is the level of standing directly in front of a speaker at a rock concert. 127dB is where permanent ear damage occurs...

Those spl levels are car interior boosted. The Q12 fs is 34hz so tuning under 25 or so isn't possible. It was made for high spl in car interiors and not for HT low end support.

For low end HT use, you need to look for drivers with fs around 22 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by jon s View Post
    158dB? You know that 140dB is the threshold of pain for the ears? 150dB is the level of standing directly in front of a speaker at a rock concert. 127dB is where permanent ear damage occurs...
    Some of us like it loud :) Nothing compares to the last big project I helped build. 2 x 21" Incriminator Audio Death Penalty's on 8 kilowatts of constant power. 160+ DB easy. All packed inside of a tiny tercel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Gardner View Post
    Those spl levels are car interior boosted. The Q12 fs is 34hz so tuning under 25 or so isn't possible. It was made for high spl in car interiors and not for HT low end support.

For low end HT use, you need to look for drivers with fs around 22 or so.
    The Q series is a 15, but regardless I'll probably stick with the Infinity Perfect 12. 22hz fs.

It doesn't matter, the Q 15 won't play lower than the 12. Its fs is still the same. It won't go much lower than 27hz or so. With HT it is about how low they go, not high loud they go. Movie tracks have quite a bit of info under 24 hz or so that really make an impact in huge scenes, that would be lost on a woofer designed to resonate at 34hz.

Again, that woofer was designed for lots of 30-60hz sound, but none at under 20hz.

The 22 hz speaker is a much better choice for HT, it is funny that a 12 could be better than a top notch 15, but it was the physics of the design that does it.
    Last edited by Dennis Gardner; 06-19-2014 at 02:09 PM.

It doesn't matter, the Q 15 won't play lower than the 12. Its fs is still the same. It won't go much lower than 27hz or so. With HT it is about how low they go, not high loud they go. Movie tracks have quite a bit of info under 24 hz or so that really make an impact in huge scenes, that would be lost on a woofer designed to resonate at 34hz.

Again, that woofer was designed for lots of 30-60hz sound, but none at under 20hz.
    What are you even talking about? I've already stated that I'm using the INFINITY KAPPA PERFECT 12, which has an Fs of 22hz. The FI (Brand) Q series (Model) 15 (Size) I have won't be used, because like you mention the Fs is too high (32). That said, the FI Q series 12" sub IS different than the 12" and has a slightly higher Fs of 34. Therefore the Q 15 will play lower than the Q 12. So once again, what are you talking about? No offense..but read my posts.

Next question. Anyone here built any Sonos tube enclosures? I'll probably be doing that, but I've only built traditional and fiberglass enclosures before, so a Sonostube is new to me.

What I meant was at 32 or 34hz fs, it won't matter which one you use. They both will suck for HT 20hz use. Good luck with your build.

Search Sonotube Subwoofer.

What I meant was at 32 or 34hz fs, it won't matter which one you use. They both will suck for HT 20hz use. Good luck with your build.

Search Sonotube Subwoofer.
    Oh I agree, that's why I've decided to go with the 12" Perfect Kappa. Thanks for the post about Fs, I almost forgot to check on the FI before considering it.

Next question. Anyone here built any Sonos tube enclosures? I'll probably be doing that, but I've only built traditional and fiberglass enclosures before, so a Sonostube is new to me.
    Talk about reading post's

I don't know what you mean pitdogg2.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    I don't know what you mean pitdogg2.
    Name:  no_one_expects_the_spanish_inquisition_by_simzer-d5bxjqp.png
Views: 155
Size:  85.8 KB

thehehehehehe

Sales Rating
    Gear

Talk about reading post's
    I asked if "anyone here" has built a sono tube, not their buddy. Something I comprehend wrong?

Some of us like it loud :) Nothing compares to the last big project I helped build. 2 x 21" Incriminator Audio Death Penalty's on 8 kilowatts of constant power. 160+ DB easy. All packed inside of a tiny tercel.
    I'm surprised the Tercel didn't shake itself apart...

There are Kappa Perfect builds around the net
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

I have a spare FI Q series and Inifinity Perfect 12 subwoofers and am going to build a box for HT use with one of them. What do you guys think I should tune the box for? 25HZ? Any ideas? Any suggestions on amps to use?
    Have you tried using WINISD - It is great for tuning and designing you subwoofer

http://www.linearteam.dk/?pageid=winisd

Quote Originally Posted by Tronman View Post
    Have you tried using WINISD - It is great for tuning and designing you subwoofer

http://www.linearteam.dk/?pageid=winisd
    Yep :)

Thread Information