Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Speaker and amp 'brightness'

I'm reading the threads making claims about speakers and amps being too 'bright. Are these differences in 'brightness' being perceived as a comparison of a 20 watt bulb to a 60 watt bulb? If not then what is the difference?

I always perceived it as bright being high in the treble, in your face sound. Harsh
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by bobsauto49 View Post
    I always perceived it as bright being high in the treble, in your face sound. Harsh
    What he said.
    2 channel - Parasound A21 amp, PS Audio PWD MKII w/bridge, modded EE Minimax pre, ML Source speakers, Kimber 4TC, Gabriel Gold Rapture V3/Silnote Morpheus Ref. II IC's, Ps Audio AC5, AC3 and Pangea AC14XL power cords
    HT - Pio. Elite VSX21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panny DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk RC85i in-wall speakers
    Computer - Windows 7/JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

It's treble that makes you wince like you just walked in the sunlight.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

IMHO there is 2 definitions of "brightness" that seem to be a bit confused, is the sound bright or forward???

Where there is a bit of confusion (again IMHO) is a forward speaker, like my Usher MD2 are forward and play jazz, blues, and classical very well highlighting the upper end details of the genre, or the peak of Ozzy coming out bright/harsh in a Black Sabbath song.

Now in rock/classic rock which at times lack some instrumental detail will come off bright when certain Hz are hit making the sound a bit fatiguing.

Now one listener may not be affected or may like the effect of the bright/forward sound while others may not. I like forward in my Jazz/Blues but warm/neutral in my rock. This is the reason I have multiple systems.

Confusing as hell but you know it when it just hits the right spot and it is a lot easier to discern the differences when you have more than one completely different systems or spend some time at shows/show rooms.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Forward to me is a speaker that presents a soundstage extending in front of the speakers. It seems like treble plays with the depth of the soundstage. Most brighter speakers are more forward, and warmer ones feel more recessed, often times presenting a stage well behind the speaker. Forward doesn't mean it has to be bright, but I did notice the soundstage start to recess some as I added more warmth to my rig.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

^ +1, My ZU's were very forward speakers with most of the soundstage in front of them and yet I never considered them "bright."
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

So I'm listening to music through LSiM703 with my tube amp and then my SS amp that many here claim.is 'bright'. I don't hear 'bright'. What I do hear is a different dimensionality. As if instruments are more forward or more spread out. I guess I can understand harsh brightness in lo-fi components....but after a certain point ...oh well...I'm sure this will start arguments.

Your lsim's border on warm. It's a better synergistic match. Trust me, you can get hifi rigs that make your ears bleed. It's all about component matching and getting a solid tonal balance in your rig.

You can also get rigs that sound like syrup. You might be too close to that sweetness for your own liking when the tube amp is in the mix.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I agree. LSiMs are not a bright speaker. They do have good detail for a speaker that is not, though!

Nothing to add here, pretty much on the same page about brightness and forwardness with those above. Good discussion!

I am a "warm" man myself. Not warm to the point of no resolution and backgrounding music but warm enough not to fatigue, but to calm and relax when needed.

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by Sprags View Post
    I guess I can understand harsh brightness in lo-fi components....but after a certain point ...oh well...I'm sure this will start arguments.
    So far it looks like a discussion although we may all have a slightly different definition of bright. Improved focus, detail and resolution can sound bright to some yet excite others.

As it was mentioned early on, systems can sounds bright when there is too much treble energy, or too much treble energy relative to the rest of the frequency range. In other words, unnatural peaking of high frequencies or lack of mid bass can make the bright word happen. A room can make things bright just as some gear can. Also, high frequencies that are compressed, confused, smeared or distorted can make for brightness.

Main thing is if you like a certain sound quality, no worries about what others say.

EDIT:

Here is what Stereophile says about bright.

"bright, brilliant The most often misused terms in audio, these describe the degree to which reproduced sound has a hard, crisp edge to it. Brightness relates to the energy content in the 4kHz-8kHz band. It is not related to output in the extreme-high-frequency range. All live sound has brightness; it is a problem only when it is excessive."

More terms than you can shake a stick at...

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/M...-glossary.html
    Last edited by SCompRacer; 06-24-2014 at 02:32 AM.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Last night I had my tubes connected to the 703's because that's the speaker I bought for this system and I had the SS system connected to TSi300 because that's the other speaker I have. Granted the 300's don't have the clarity and openness of the 703's but in the grand scheme of things they were ok in sound volume. I'm looking for another speaker to uses with my 100 wpc stereo integrated amp.

Any suggestions?

My one idea is to go with Klipsch Heresy's with the tubes because those are tube speakers and dedicate the 703's to my SS system.

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    So far it looks like a discussion although we may all have a slightly different definition of bright. Improved focus, detail and resolution can sound bright to some yet excite others.

As it was mentioned early on, systems can sounds bright when there is too much treble energy, or too much treble energy relative to the rest of the frequency range. In other words, unnatural peaking of high frequencies or lack of mid bass can make the bright word happen. A room can make things bright just as some gear can. Also, high frequencies that are compressed, confused, smeared or distorted can make for brightness.

Main thing is if you like a certain sound quality, no worries about what others say.

EDIT:

Here is what Stereophile says about bright.

"bright, brilliant The most often misused terms in audio, these describe the degree to which reproduced sound has a hard, crisp edge to it. Brightness relates to the energy content in the 4kHz-8kHz band. It is not related to output in the extreme-high-frequency range. All live sound has brightness; it is a problem only when it is excessive."

More terms than you can shake a stick at...

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/M...-glossary.html
    Semantics...

Just like language, audio terms can evolve. Calling an LSi7 a bright speaker isn't correct, even though by the above term it might have 'brightness'. The 2khz-8khz range is where it starts to shred your ears if its out of balance with the rest of the rig. Sibilance can become overwhelming if 2khz is out of balance, and anything above 8khz has never bothered me. The more energy there, the more energetic the music sounds, but I still like it to be balanced with the rest of the music.

Thread Information