Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Default Too much Boom from my RT16's

Hi Guys,
    I have been using a pair of RT16's as my mains for years and really like them. AT first I had them on the factory spikes in a carpeted room and they sounded great. I then moved and now have them in a larger living room with pergo type floors and glass sliding doors and mirrors. I live in a condo and custom made some speaker platforms out of MDF/concrete block, with sand in between to minimize the bass disturbing my neighbors below. I dont use a sub because I think the 16's go down enough.
    My problem is that they now sound too boomy. I have them about 2 ft. from the back wall on the platforms. I have updated the factory spikes to Dayton Audio brass cones. Still too boomy.

I then experimented with putting dacron from an older Polk sub I had in the bass ports. This made the highs and mid-range have incredible tranparency, but lower midrange and bass suffered. I have heard that tipping the speakers back a bit will warm them up somewhat, but I have not tried that yet. Any suggestions on how to integrate the bass in better. I am mainly experimenting with stereo playback, but I can hear it with movies too. Thanks for your help.
    Best Regards,
    Jeremy

P.S. I am using an Outlaw 950 Pre/Pro and Outlaw M200 monoblocks to power them. Using a Sony 200 disc changer.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Have you tried other positioning, i.e. farther off the back wall?

Member Sales Rating: (14)

You have to much reflection in your room.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Originally posted by mantis
    You have to much reflection in your room.
    Maybe try using more cloth like materials on the floor and walls, those glass doors and mirrors really create an acoustic mightmare, more so than just ordinary walls...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Mommy hold me, I am having another mightmare ;)

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Pretend as if the woofer cones extended all the way to your walls. The point where this imaginery line touches the walls on each side of the room is where you need to hang some kind of tapestry or fabric. Try it out!

Regards,
    PolkThug

Old School
    Member Sales Rating: (1)

Agree on the reflections...

Is the boominess present everywhere in your room, or are you just relaying what your primary position sounds like?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Hi Guys,
    Sorry for the delayed response, computer problems. I mainly hear too much bottom end from the main listening position. I have tried to pull the RT16's out from the wall more, but had little change. I recently stuffed them with some dacron, and that seems to lessen the boom some. My room has a lot of hard reflections, in time i will put up more absorbant material. I think that beacuse I have a pergo type floating floor, and that the speakers cannot spike to the concrete directly, that is the cause of the boom. Anyone have large towers on a wood or laminate floor hearing too much boom?
    Best Regards,
    Jeremy

Old School
    Member Sales Rating: (1)

If it's in your primary listening position primarily, then it's likely a standing wave issue with the lower frequencies and room teatments aren't going to tame it. Speaker location is about all you have to work with unless you have notch filter capability.

I don't see the laminated floring being an issue as you seem to be on the ground floor of your home.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

Thread Information