Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Multiple amps - one pair of speakers

I have found that A/V receivers and good stereo sound don't necessarily mix. Therefore, I have a separate A/V receiver and integrated stereo amp. Unfortunately, I only have one set of speakers which requires that I swap cabling between the A/V receiver and the stereo amp depending on if I am watching a movie or listening to music. Has anyone come across an amp selector switch? I've seen plenty of speaker selector switches.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Check out the Niles Audio DPS-1. It costs about $50 - $60.

I have found that A/V receivers and good stereo sound don't necessarily mix.
    Not sure everyone would agree. What kind of receiver do you have?

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for. Just wished it accepted banana plugs. I really should qualify my statment about great two channel sound from an AVR. In my case, it's absolutely true because my AVR is a low end Sony SDR695. I now use a NADC370 for two channel and the difference is amazing. How I ended up with the NAD was I went to my local shop (www.audioperfection.com) looking for a replacment for the Sony AVR. Anyways, it was the saleperson who convinced me that if I wanted the best two channel sound to go separte. I asked him how the two channel sound of the NAD T773 AVR compared to the C370 and he basically said manufactures always must make some compromises in stuffing a preamp, amp, tuner etc in a single cabinet so the C370 would sound better. How much better? I won't know for a few months until I can affor to buy the NAD T773 to replace the Sony. Are there AVRs with great stereo? You bet. It all just depends on your budget. But I bet if you asked some of the high-end manufacturers such as Krell or B&K if you would get "better" two channel sound from their separates versus their AVRs, they would say yes.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

I think you are comparing apples to oranges here. AVRs can be plenty capable of reproducing good stereo sound. I don't think the two amps you have there are very comparable. Good luck on your amp switch search.

Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for. Just wished it accepted banana plugs.
    Yeah, Ive been looking for an amp selector for a long time, especially one that could accept banana plugs, but so far, this is the only one I've found. I even tried to find out some info on where you could DIY. Doesn't seem like such a high tech project.

My issue has been my reluctance to add a device between my amp/receiver and my speakers. I hope it won't negatively affect the sound.

Let us know if you run across a better one.

Also, check out this old thread..

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/...ght=Niles+DPS1

Thread Information