I was having a discussion the other day about music and it took a turn toward the best albums ever recorded. We really focused on albums that seemed to be great from beginning to end, not just a few good songs. We also talked about how it seemed as though the group was just in a serious zone and firing on all cylinders when writing, recording and producing the album. Almost like all the stars were in perfect alignment when they made the albums and were never able to capture that magic again.
Here is my list (not complete) of what I think are the best of the best, with a few comments.
1. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon: Although they had a few more successful albums after this one, they never ever hit perfection like this again.
2. Led Zeppelin - 4: Their crowning achievement. They had some excellant albums and songs to follow this up (good ones prior to this also), but forget about it. Too big a hill to climb!
3. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours: Good lord did they nail this one! Too bad they never came remotely close to capturing this magic again.
4. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms: This is one that some may disagree on, but if you get past the first 3 songs (the pop hits), there's some seriously creative and wonderful music to be heard. Great to the end. Always been in my top list! They never did anything worthwhile again.
5. AC/DC - Back in Black: Of course most people thought they were history when Bon Scott bit the dust, but this one proved the world wrong. They never got it perfect again!
6. U2 - Joshua Tree: Every album since had me wishing for more of Joshua Tree. They blew all their creativity on this one. AMAZING!
7. Van Halen - #1: This one just turned 26 years old a few days ago. This one blew the world away! Hell of a debut album that was never matched again.
8. Guns n Roses - #1: Like Van Halen, they nailed it literally perfect right out of the gate. Too bad they too spent all their creative juices on the first one.
Ok guys, lets hear some of yours.